ImageImageImageImageImage

Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Given no other choice, which would you prefer?

Magic still be in charge with Rob gone
25%
Rob be in charge with Magic gone
75%

Total votes: 44

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Re: Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#141 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 22, 2019 2:51 am

Whats best for the team? Silence, not necessary to create a situation that might be detrimenal to aquiring free agents of hurt the team. At least wait it out until we have all the pieces in place, and then at a later time, reveal stuff. But this dumbass went over the airwaves in the midst of troubling times, to make himself look good. Bad timing, selfish reasoning.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#142 » by iamworthy » Wed May 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Just my opinion, I feel pretty confident that other team front offices, agents, and NBA players already knew the level of dysfunction going on in the Lakers front Office. Magic really didn't expose anything anyone didn't already know.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#143 » by danfantastk32 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:20 pm

iamworthy wrote:Just my opinion, I feel pretty confident that other team front offices, agents, and NBA players already knew the level of dysfunction going on in the Lakers front Office. Magic really didn't expose anything anyone didn't already know.

I agree....but at the same time I question the motive behind 'that day'.

I also noted that Magic said he had his other businesses, and would be "in and out". I don't know too much about Pelinka, but I can say that it would get really annoying if your boss (the guy who 'gets to make the decision'...he mentioned that too) is in and out all the time. Did it build up? And he started making a scene of it everytime peeps were waiting around for the boss to show up? If your a grinder, I could see that situation becoming very frustrating.

But be that as it may, I just cannot hear you say how much you love the Lakers, and love Jeanie.....while your on TV bashing the state of the franchise 2-hours before they announce the new coach.

I'm gonna let this go. But goddamn Magic....it's really all about you, isn't it? Disappointed big time.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#144 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed May 22, 2019 4:03 pm

I loved Magic as a player and watched him from the day he put on the P&G.
I loved the enthusiasm and passion he showed towards the Lakers.
What he just did though is almost unforgivable in my view. To air that stuff publicly is a sign of a narcissist and he showed his true colors.
As embarrassing as this is for the Laker organization, in my view, it makes him look 10 times worse.
In retrospect, and although I am not happy with the overall direction of the franchise that I’ve followed for 40 years, I am happy that he’s gone.
It just removes some of the toxicity in the FO.
I also have a positive outlook about Pelinka.
My sense is that he will make measured decisions and do what’s best for the organization.
LBJ will have to be very active in the FA recruitment process and I am sure he will be.
Formerly lakerRD
Hank7
Junior
And1: 68

Post#145 » by Hank7 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:43 pm

After watching Magic's interview and Pelinka's response ... I'm actually more inclined to believe Magic. Pelinka said that he was not aware of anything that Magic was talking about. Did Magic make up all of it? Doubt it. Pelinka's response was what any good lawyer would say. In his response, Pelinka praised Magic, made humble pie and denied everything. What else is he going to do? Magic simply said what he believes, without any filters. Players, coaches and GMs around the league know who Magic is, and they also know Rob Pelinka. Unfortunately, many refer to Pelinka as a backstabbing snake. I heard a lot of criticism of Magic on the ESPN talk shows about how he handled the situation, but nobody called him a snake.

So here we go. Let's see what kind of job our new "President of Basketball Operations" can do. I will admit though that I like his hire of Vogel. JMHO.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#146 » by myersia » Fri May 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Article on lakers nations shows magic went behind Jeanie’s back with trade offer to pelicans and tried to trade more than what was agreed too.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#147 » by SweetTouch » Sat May 25, 2019 12:55 am

Glad this guy quit. Let’s just forget magics time post playing days
Stop being so disrespectful.
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

Magic to appear on ESPN First Take on Monday 

Post#148 » by AmusingFiddle » Sun May 26, 2019 4:41 pm

I think it was Arash Markazi that speculated this might be an attempt by Magic and his financiers to force Jeanie into selling the team to them.

Magic did say he wants to buy the Lakers and would be first in line.

Hank7
Junior
And1: 68

Post#149 » by Hank7 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Jedi32 wrote:It's funny seeing people try to pin the mess that is the current lakers on magic. This organization has been ran like trash every since Dr Buss died. Magic did them a favor by coming aboard. No magic probably no LeBron. Hell before magic got here we were getting dismissed by the likes of lamarcus Aldridge. Now all of a sudden everyone has all this faith in Rob and Jeannie. Gimme a break. Can't wait to see who gets the blame now that magic is gone.

Unless he can get some help in free agency ... Lebron.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#150 » by stan francisco » Mon May 27, 2019 10:00 am

Magic used to provide the connection to all the peeps and players in the NBA, as well as make the final calls on the roster.

LeBron is going to be the silent new president. He will handle Magic’s recruiting tasks and approve the final roster calls. King President.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#151 » by Slava » Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am

AmusingFiddle wrote:I think it was Arash Markazi that speculated this might be an attempt by Magic and his financiers to force Jeanie into selling the team to them.

Magic did say he wants to buy the Lakers and would be first in line.

As rich as he is, he needs a lot of outside investment to buy the Lakers and this is before AEG who already own ~ 27% pass on the chance of first refusal.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Post#152 » by lakerz12 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:53 pm

Magic was clearly never fully committed to the team. He used this Pelinka stuff as an excuse to see himself out.

Magic signed up for fun and success. He's not interested in going through the hardships and overcoming adversity. He's got other stuff to do. Good riddance.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#153 » by what would jack bauer do? » Tue May 28, 2019 12:36 am

myersia wrote:Article on lakers nations shows magic went behind Jeanie’s back with trade offer to pelicans and tried to trade more than what was agreed too.

So he's the reason the Lakers turned into a joke at the deadline... The more I process what Magic did for the team and how he's trying to say his only mistake was Brook Lopez the more pissed I get. He's trying to sweep his failures under the rug and pin everything on rob when it was clearly a joint venture putting that garbage roster construction together.

Magic is a big snake in the grass trying to sabotage the Lakers organization.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#154 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:52 pm

More news out about Magic. Apparently he bullied people in the organization. Was vaguely threatening, a couple staffers had panic attacks from it.

I mean, it's hard to know what to believe but the guy sounds like a psycho especially when you see how he likes to present himself to the media

He is either a horrible guy or he is getting framed.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#155 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue May 28, 2019 1:59 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Just my opinion, I feel pretty confident that other team front offices, agents, and NBA players already knew the level of dysfunction going on in the Lakers front Office. Magic really didn't expose anything anyone didn't already know.

I agree....but at the same time I question the motive behind 'that day'.

I also noted that Magic said he had his other businesses, and would be "in and out". I don't know too much about Pelinka, but I can say that it would get really annoying if your boss (the guy who 'gets to make the decision'...he mentioned that too) is in and out all the time. Did it build up? And he started making a scene of it everytime peeps were waiting around for the boss to show up? If your a grinder, I could see that situation becoming very frustrating.

But be that as it may, I just cannot hear you say how much you love the Lakers, and love Jeanie.....while your on TV bashing the state of the franchise 2-hours before they announce the new coach.

I'm gonna let this go. But goddamn Magic....it's really all about you, isn't it? Disappointed big time.

Replace Magic and Pelinka’s name with Shaq and Kobe and I feel like I heard this song before
Forum permissions