ImageImageImageImage

The orlando magic are interested in signing kemba walker according too steve kyler

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Re: The orlando magic are interested in signing kemba walker according too steve kyler 

Post#61 » by yoyojw17 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:52 pm

he will definitely take the money.... and then if anything ask for a trade in a year or so. lol
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Re: The orlando magic are interested in signing kemba walker according too steve kyler 

Post#62 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon May 27, 2019 12:59 am

Howard Mass wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
The Magic would not be able to move Fournier and Mozgov without taking back salary.

What about attaching a 1st Rounder or maybe 2 2nd rounders?

That price would not be enough to get $34 million off the cap.

I understand it is alot harder than stating it could happen. But, Mozgovs expiring with two 2nd rounders is plausible. And, next years 1st with Fournier could be moved toa team losing out on free agency. Not very likely, but could happen.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Icemanbrfc
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#63 » by Icemanbrfc » Mon May 27, 2019 3:25 am

j-ragg wrote:
Icemanbrfc wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Yup. If he wanted to go to a borderline playoff team, he'd take his super-max or 5 year max from Charlotte depending on what they offer. If he jumps ship I'd be shocked if he went to a team that wasn't a legit contender for the title.
Which contending team right now, would want to take on Kemba? Boston maybe if Kyrie leaves, but other than that I can't see who else needs a PG and willing to pay Max for him. Grizzlies might look at him, if Conley leaves, but again, would he go to Memphis?

Sent from my I3213 using Tapatalk

Grizzlies? What on earth lol. I’d imagine the Knicks w/ another star, Nets w/ another star, or two LA teams would be the favorites.
If they had to offer him the Max, and no other team matches then he goes. Both the Knicks and Lakers have other FAs they are more interested in, so I don't think Kemba is at the top of their list.

Again, the team that might be in for him would be Boston, as it's more than likely that Kyrie calls time on his stay there.

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#64 » by Xatticus » Mon May 27, 2019 10:00 am

Skybox wrote:
Xatticus wrote:The NBA changed the way sign-and-trades work some time back to prevent teams from using bird rights to circumvent the salary cap. It seems likely that base year compensation would apply if Charlotte re-signed him with the intent to trade him. This would make it impossible to match salaries as Charlotte would only be able to take back roughly $12M in salary. Orlando would have to get well under the cap to take back the difference in salary by renouncing Ross and Vucevic.

Charlotte would have to avoid using Walker's bird rights to avoid the BYC rule, but they have roughly $65M in committed salaries next year plus another $28M in player options that will almost certainly get picked up. So that won't work unless Charlotte renounces all of their non-guaranteed deals and Walker agrees to sign for around $15M.

A sign-and-trade isn't an impossibility, but it wouldn't work out the way people are expecting. There is no scenario where we could end up with both Vucevic and Walker. The rule was implemented to prevent teams from doing precisely what is being proposed in this thread. The only incentive at that point would be to dump some salary on Charlotte, but why would they agree to a sign-and-trade for that purpose?

Good info! How are salaries of future picks valued against cap in trades? Are they at all? In other words, if we traded (hypothetically) our 2021 frp in a package...is there a dollar figure/cap hold value that must be absorbed by receiving team? Or can you add picks to trade packages with no financial calculation?

I don't believe draft picks carry any financial significance in trades, but I can't say that with absolute certainty.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,288

Post#65 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:17 am

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/05/why-nba-sign-and-trades-are-rare.html

there is in depth explenation why sign and trades don't happen too often.

Let’s use Lowry as an example one more time, and assume he signs a full max deal with a starting salary of about $35MM. Since he would fit the BYC criteria, Lowry would count for $35MM for salary-matching purposes for his new team in a sign-and-trade, but would only count for $17.5MM from the Raptors’ perspective.

That would make it very difficult for the two teams to meet the salary-matching rules in a trade — if Lowry’s new team is above the cap, that team would have to send out about $28MM in salary to make a deal work from its end, which is much more salary than Lowry’s outgoing $17.5MM cap figure would allow Toronto to take on.

The NBA’s salary cap rules can be byzantine and confusing, but in this case, the rules related to sign-and-trades were implemented with a clear goal in mind. Unlike in the past, when a player was able to sign the longest possible max contract and join a new team via a sign-and-trade, the new CBA essentially makes a player choose between those two options. That makes it easier for teams to retain their own star free agents.

With a series of max-contract, BYC, and salary-cap rules now in place, there are enough factors getting in the way of sign-and-trade deals that they’ve become a less appealing option, particularly for the very best free agents.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#66 » by BCS » Mon May 27, 2019 12:56 pm

pepe1991 wrote:https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/05/why-nba-sign-and-trades-are-rare.html

Let’s use Lowry as an example one more time, and assume he signs a full max deal with a starting salary of about $35MM. Since he would fit the BYC criteria, Lowry would count for $35MM for salary-matching purposes for his new team in a sign-and-trade, but would only count for $17.5MM from the Raptors’ perspective.

That would make it very difficult for the two teams to meet the salary-matching rules in a trade — if Lowry’s new team is above the cap, that team would have to send out about $28MM in salary to make a deal work from its end, which is much more salary than Lowry’s outgoing $17.5MM cap figure would allow Toronto to take on.

The NBA’s salary cap rules can be byzantine and confusing, but in this case, the rules related to sign-and-trades were implemented with a clear goal in mind. Unlike in the past, when a player was able to sign the longest possible max contract and join a new team via a sign-and-trade, the new CBA essentially makes a player choose between those two options. That makes it easier for teams to retain their own star free agents.

With a series of max-contract, BYC, and salary-cap rules now in place, there are enough factors getting in the way of sign-and-trade deals that they’ve become a less appealing option, particularly for the very best free agents.

So if I am reading this correctly, we would need a 3rd team with cap space involved in a sign and trade to take on either Evan or Moz salary while Cha takes the other, or is this not allowed as well now?

If that is the case, I don't see it as being impossible.
Icemanbrfc
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#67 » by Icemanbrfc » Mon May 27, 2019 3:04 pm

BCS wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/05/why-nba-sign-and-trades-are-rare.html

So if I am reading this correctly, we would need a 3rd team with cap space involved in a sign and trade to take on either Evan or Moz salary while Cha takes the other, or is this not allowed as well now?

If that is the case, I don't see it as being impossible.
Pretty much yes. Salarys would have to match I assume for incoming and outgoing teams.

I don't know, but think we should swing for Conley, but I'm not sure if this is going to work long term. Other option would be to look at Ntilikina, or just continue with DJ, and hope that Fultz is healthy to at least get some minutes on the court.

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#68 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon May 27, 2019 6:06 pm

I wouldn't pay Lowry more than $20-22mil per max. Dude is good, but not great.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#69 » by SD2042 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:53 pm

Icemanbrfc wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Kemba isn’t going to turn down the most amount of money to play for a team that isn’t a contender.

Yup. If he wanted to go to a borderline playoff team, he'd take his super-max or 5 year max from Charlotte depending on what they offer. If he jumps ship I'd be shocked if he went to a team that wasn't a legit contender for the title.
Which contending team right now, would want to take on Kemba? Boston maybe if Kyrie leaves, but other than that I can't see who else needs a PG and willing to pay Max for him. Grizzlies might look at him, if Conley leaves, but again, would he go to Memphis?

The Grizzlies don't have enough cap space to consider going after Kemba. Besides, Memphis is in rebuilding mode and they're likely to draft Ja Morant later next month.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#70 » by npiper17 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:50 pm

I like Kemba (more for what he’s been able to become after a so so start to his professional career) but he’s about to be the wrong side of 30 and I wouldn’t want to pay him what he’ll command even if he did want to come here (which he won’t).
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#71 » by Max Power » Tue May 28, 2019 5:22 pm

I like Kemba Walker and think his skills are an absolute necessity for this squad to advance, but I agree that we don’t need to be bringing him in for 5 years. I think a 3 year deal supplies us a superstar point guard until we see what Fultz brings to the table and allows us to be a factor in the playoffs until our youth gets ready to fly on their own. It also makes Evan Fournier very expendable, which I think is a move this team needs to make. I won’t pretend to know the calculus it’ll take to figure out cap wise and all that. I’ll leave that to better minds than mine. But I’m my humble opinions the two perfect players to upgrade what the team has are Kemba Walker and CJ McCollum. We need a pure scorer badly. Ross has done a nice job but we need more than just him.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#72 » by tiderulz » Tue May 28, 2019 5:43 pm

Max Power wrote:I like Kemba Walker and think his skills are an absolute necessity for this squad to advance, but I agree that we don’t need to be bringing him in for 5 years. I think a 3 year deal supplies us a superstar point guard until we see what Fultz brings to the table and allows us to be a factor in the playoffs until our youth gets ready to fly on their own. It also makes Evan Fournier very expendable, which I think is a move this team needs to make. I won’t pretend to know the calculus it’ll take to figure out cap wise and all that. I’ll leave that to better minds than mine. But I’m my humble opinions the two perfect players to upgrade what the team has are Kemba Walker and CJ McCollum. We need a pure scorer badly. Ross has done a nice job but we need more than just him.

well, we cant bring him in on a max 5yr deal anyway, CBA wont allow it.
OrlandoSaban
Junior
And1: 201

Post#73 » by OrlandoSaban » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:01 am

I’m interested in a pot of gold but doesn’t mean I’m going to get it
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#74 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:15 am

OrlandoSaban wrote:I’m interested in a pot of gold but doesn’t mean I’m going to get it
Just follow the rainbow.

Return to Orlando Magic