ImageImageImage

Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Foshan, Sixerscan

User avatar
Simmons25
Veteran
Posts: 2,912
And1: 2,020
Joined: Sep 27, 2016
 

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1461 » by Simmons25 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:59 am

I'd go as far as calling Joel's ball handling a weakness. Far too often gets stripped of the ball in the post... and when he tries to be a guard.
Rastas
Rookie
Posts: 1,232
And1: 633
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1462 » by Rastas » Mon May 27, 2019 11:06 am

Embiid really needs to improve his diet.
Not just to get physically fitter , but to also help his BBIQ and quicker decision making.

Also I hope he watches a lot more BB vids this offseason - proven helper.
User avatar
Mik317
RealGM
Posts: 27,346
And1: 8,653
Joined: May 31, 2005
Location: In your head....you have issues breh
       

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1463 » by Mik317 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:27 am

dribbling in traffic at 7'2 is generally not the best play regardless. The ball has to travel farther or you have to be scrunched down to prevent that negating any size advantage.

again Embiid's next step needs to be making his moves sooner and more decisive because the moment the defense collapses on him things tend to get very mangled up and any size or strength advantage goes away and the refs tend to favor in the smaller guys because they are awarding a good basketball play. Not saying he's Shaq but Shaq made his moves rather quick and thats why in his prime he was unstoppable. For all the Hakeen talk....Hakeem was 6'9....not 7'2.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
VDT
Pro Prospect
Posts: 779
And1: 478
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1464 » by VDT » Mon May 27, 2019 3:16 pm

Embiid needs to play closer to the basket, it will also help him to make quicker decisions and is a natural change as he ages.

To do that Embiid needs to become more comfortable playing with his back to the basket and the offensive scheme and the roster of the team need to also change to accommodate that change.
User avatar
sixerswillrule
RealGM
Posts: 16,165
And1: 3,199
Joined: Jul 24, 2003
Location: DC Area

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1465 » by sixerswillrule » Mon May 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Mik317 wrote:dribbling in traffic at 7'2 is generally not the best play regardless. The ball has to travel farther or you have to be scrunched down to prevent that negating any size advantage.

again Embiid's next step needs to be making his moves sooner and more decisive because the moment the defense collapses on him things tend to get very mangled up and any size or strength advantage goes away and the refs tend to favor in the smaller guys because they are awarding a good basketball play. Not saying he's Shaq but Shaq made his moves rather quick and thats why in his prime he was unstoppable. For all the Hakeen talk....Hakeem was 6'9....not 7'2.


Yeah Embiid needs to do less of those out of control drives from the three point line and make more quick moves inside. But come on he is not 5 inches taller than Hakeem lol.
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 40,779
And1: 12,885
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1466 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:21 am

1.) why is he not developing a hook shot at the post. This is why he can’t take his post game to the next level. If you watch prime D12 or Shaq, the hookshot is a constant to their post game.

2.) Currently Embiid is shooting at 30% on 3s. Considering all things like his form, FT%s and etc, it’s very likely he can be a 35% to near 40% 3pt shooter in the near future. When that happens, isn’t Ben at the post against a smaller defender and Embiid attacking closeouts pulling away rim protector 5s is a more desirable offense?

3.) what is peak embiid? For me, it’s when he can be point 1&2. While defensively, being able to defend 4s with improve conditioning. When that happens, he can be the best player in the league.
Twitter: Pjeffersonlim| S i x e r s |
¨Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.¨
- Marcus Aurelius
VDT
Pro Prospect
Posts: 779
And1: 478
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1467 » by VDT » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:59 am

76ciology wrote:1.) why is he not developing a hook shot at the post. This is why he can’t take his post game to the next level. If you watch prime D12 or Shaq, the hookshot is a constant to their post game.

2.) Currently Embiid is shooting at 30% on 3s. Considering all things like his form, FT%s and etc, it’s very likely he can be a 35% to near 40% 3pt shooter in the near future. When that happens, isn’t Ben at the post against a smaller defender and Embiid attacking closeouts pulling away rim protector 5s is a more desirable offense?

3.) what is peak embiid? For me, it’s when he can be point 1&2. While defensively, being able to defend 4s with improve conditioning. When that happens, he can be the best player in the league.


1 is true. I would even say he is not comfortable playing with his back to the basket. A reliable hook shot would open up his game and probably make him the best player in the league.

Regarding 2 , i think Embiid is a better three point shooter than his stats indicate. He seems to shoot a lot of end of the clock 3s which deflate his stats. I expect him to improve in this area and become an ok to good shooter. Having said that Embiid being employed as spacer is not going to happen for a significant amount of time. It is ok to do it to conserve energy or help Simmons sometimes but generally speaking teams use spacers to help their best player, they dont use their best player as spacer. You can get that functionality much cheaper than Embiid. Also i dont want him to attack closeouts because it is easy to turn the ball over and/ or get injured.

Regarding his peak, i think he is a player primarily in the mold of Hakeem/ Shaq at their peak ( although we will see how good compared to them), that is, being a high scoring center that can anchor the defense, possibly with the addition of some new age traits like 3 point shooting.
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,292
And1: 669
Joined: Aug 09, 2014
   

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1468 » by SexDrugsPnR » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:06 pm

VDT wrote:Regarding 2 , i think Embiid is a better three point shooter than his stats indicate. He seems to shoot a lot of end of the clock 3s which deflate his stats. I expect him to improve in this area and become an ok to good shooter.

He didn't take that many late clock threes. Only 26 of his 257 attempts came in the last 4 seconds of the clock. His percentage on these is indeed terrible. He only made 2 of those (7.7%). He shot 32.9% on threes with more than 4 seconds left on the clock.
Chris76
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,877
And1: 297
Joined: May 06, 2017
   

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1469 » by Chris76 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:41 pm

VDT wrote:
76ciology wrote:1.) why is he not developing a hook shot at the post. This is why he can’t take his post game to the next level. If you watch prime D12 or Shaq, the hookshot is a constant to their post game.

2.) Currently Embiid is shooting at 30% on 3s. Considering all things like his form, FT%s and etc, it’s very likely he can be a 35% to near 40% 3pt shooter in the near future. When that happens, isn’t Ben at the post against a smaller defender and Embiid attacking closeouts pulling away rim protector 5s is a more desirable offense?

3.) what is peak embiid? For me, it’s when he can be point 1&2. While defensively, being able to defend 4s with improve conditioning. When that happens, he can be the best player in the league.


1 is true. I would even say he is not comfortable playing with his back to the basket. A reliable hook shot would open up his game and probably make him the best player in the league.

Regarding 2 , i think Embiid is a better three point shooter than his stats indicate. He seems to shoot a lot of end of the clock 3s which deflate his stats. I expect him to improve in this area and become an ok to good shooter. Having said that Embiid being employed as spacer is not going to happen for a significant amount of time. It is ok to do it to conserve energy or help Simmons sometimes but generally speaking teams use spacers to help their best player, they dont use their best player as spacer. You can get that functionality much cheaper than Embiid. Also i dont want him to attack closeouts because it is easy to turn the ball over and/ or get injured.

Regarding his peak, i think he is a player primarily in the mold of Hakeem/ Shaq at their peak ( although we will see how good compared to them), that is, being a high scoring center that can anchor the defense, possibly with the addition of some new age traits like 3 point shooting.


Embiid and Simmons started to initiate contact before finishing and made their inside game better.
Simmons' flip or baby hooks were so much better.

Unfortunately, Toronto's size made it difficult to bang inside too much. Foul trouble, Embiid's sickness and other factors took its toll.

I agree that it's risky to have Embiid starting his offense from the perimeter. Possible injuries, help defenders stealing the ball, and sloppy turnovers that led to easy buckets are good reasons for him to start closer to the basket.
USWAY
Rookie
Posts: 1,079
And1: 595
Joined: Jun 29, 2012

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1470 » by USWAY » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:33 am

In the video he just posted on his Instagram (where he's literally making shirley temples, smh) he looks to be in awesome shape
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,907
And1: 8,737
Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1471 » by Stanford » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:26 am

He's always had abs. His conditioning just sucked.
Image
USWAY
Rookie
Posts: 1,079
And1: 595
Joined: Jun 29, 2012

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1472 » by USWAY » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:45 am

Stanford wrote:He's always had abs. His conditioning just sucked.

You can't see his abs, just his arms. He looks noticeably leaner. But that's a good point, he usually comes back in good shape, it's can he maintain it through the season.

[instagram]
kuclas
Veteran
Posts: 2,850
And1: 1,176
Joined: Nov 08, 2016
     

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1473 » by kuclas » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:02 pm

So probably half of us were sure embiid has some structural damage to his knees like me. I was sure he would have some type of knee scope after the season

If embiid has knee tendinitis as officially reported. That isn’t good long term. It could be really early arthritis like Todd gurley of the nfl LA Rams running back.

We don’t know how his body can hold up with rigors or nba season.

The foot history. I’m not longer concern. It’s the knee and back. A 7 foot 2 300 pounder (that’s probably his real weight) body can’t handle it.

Even Shaq started breaking down around age 28-29 and Shaq was far healthier the first 7 plus seasons he played.

And embiid deconditions very quickly if he’s out more than one week.
freshie2
RealGM
Posts: 11,183
And1: 493
Joined: Jun 24, 2004

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1474 » by freshie2 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:26 pm

Just to be clear, tendinitis and arthritis aren’t really related. Tendinitis impacts the tendon, while arthritis is the joint surface. I hope he has neither, but there is no connection between the two or between Embiid and an NFL RB.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,151
And1: 12,448
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1475 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:56 pm

freshie2 wrote:Just to be clear, tendinitis and arthritis aren’t really related. Tendinitis impacts the tendon, while arthritis is the joint surface. I hope he has neither, but there is no connection between the two or between Embiid and an NFL RB.

Maybe it’s lupus.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
Posts: 14,640
And1: 3,581
Joined: Mar 13, 2007
     

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1476 » by PhilasFinest » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:03 pm

i really wonder if some people truly understand what the rigors of an NBA season + extremely heavy workload do to the body...especially for a guy of Embiid's size and freakish athleticism. Sure eating right, proper exercise/recovery and load management can help, but at the end of the day....this dudes going to feel it after 82+ games at 30-40 mpg.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,151
And1: 12,448
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1477 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:41 am

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1693406&start=580#p69265748

Sixerscan wrote:Why don't we just give Horford a max contract this summer and play him next to Embiid.


Was only sort of serious here but it's funny how things work out. Glad it wasn't the max.
Aussiepiston1
Rookie
Posts: 1,084
And1: 204
Joined: Mar 12, 2009
   

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1478 » by Aussiepiston1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Sixerscan wrote:viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1693406&start=580#p69265748

Sixerscan wrote:Why don't we just give Horford a max contract this summer and play him next to Embiid.


Was only sort of serious here but it's funny how things work out. Glad it wasn't the max.

He had a player option for 30mil and 99% of people expected him to take it so either you're a psychic, spoke it into existence or you're really Al Horford :lol:
Eyeamok
Veteran
Posts: 2,804
And1: 1,264
Joined: Mar 02, 2006

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1479 » by Eyeamok » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Sixerscan wrote:viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1693406&start=580#p69265748

Sixerscan wrote:Why don't we just give Horford a max contract this summer and play him next to Embiid.


Was only sort of serious here but it's funny how things work out. Glad it wasn't the max.


You made that post in October of 2018. Everyone knew at that point Al was opting out of his 30 million contact. You get no credit for this transparent post. :lol:
You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo

“People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer.”

Andrew Smith
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 40,779
And1: 12,885
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Joel Embiid - The Prophecy is Realized 

Post#1480 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 am

Mik317 wrote:dribbling in traffic at 7'2 is generally not the best play regardless. The ball has to travel farther or you have to be scrunched down to prevent that negating any size advantage.

again Embiid's next step needs to be making his moves sooner and more decisive because the moment the defense collapses on him things tend to get very mangled up and any size or strength advantage goes away and the refs tend to favor in the smaller guys because they are awarding a good basketball play. Not saying he's Shaq but Shaq made his moves rather quick and thats why in his prime he was unstoppable. For all the Hakeen talk....Hakeem was 6'9....not 7'2.


He is also not shaq. Because shaq can just bulldoze his way against guys like Baynes or Gasol.

Unless it’s a mismatch, the league doesnt favor the post player that they dont call fouls in favor of the post player.

Personally, i want him to play like Duncan. Face-up mid range game and having a reliable hookshot. While being DPOY caliber player on the defensive end.

How about being balanced? Playing like shaq against mismatches, playing like hakeem on similar sized opponents and playing like center version of Kevin Durant against slow and big opponents.

If we dont want Biid to dribble and operate from the perimeter then we better find ways to create mismatches like involving him on two man games against smaller players.
Twitter: Pjeffersonlim| S i x e r s |
¨Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.¨
- Marcus Aurelius

Return to Philadelphia 76ers