ImageImage

The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2023-2024 Edition!

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Re: The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2017-2018 Edition! 

Post#821 » by DusterBuster » Sun May 26, 2019 5:31 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:I wonder if we ever considered offering CJ for Kawhi.

I remember hearing out of the Spurs camp that they were pretty determined to send him out East. So whether the Blazers did or not is kinda a moot point.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#822 » by d-train » Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 am

I think Kawhi is going to be in LA next year.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#823 » by Blazinaway » Sun May 26, 2019 4:08 pm

d-train wrote:I think Kawhi is going to be in LA next year.

Clips or Lakers?
d-train
RealGM

Post#824 » by d-train » Sun May 26, 2019 6:34 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
d-train wrote:I think Kawhi is going to be in LA next year.

Clips or Lakers?

If I were him and I had to choose between Lakers and Clippers, I'd pick Clippers. Clippers are building a great organization. The Lakers are a once great organization that is now a ****.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#825 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:39 pm

THe Clips to play for Doc.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#826 » by DusterBuster » Sun May 26, 2019 11:32 pm

I think Kawhi stays in Toronto.
d-train
RealGM

Post#827 » by d-train » Mon May 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Does Vegas have odds on where Kawhi will sign?

I'm assuming that Spurs did everything possible to convince Kawhi to play basketball in San Antonio and live in LA. Toronto is a long way from LA. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but Kawhi must have been eligible for a supermax extension for at least a year, maybe longer. If any player is worth a supermax it's Kawhi, but he has refused to sign an extension with any team he played for. I think the forces that pull Kawhi to LA must be pretty strong.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,826

Post#828 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri May 31, 2019 2:46 am

lol I know it's minor but damn it's frustrating to see the refs hold the whistle on calling Steph being mugged during a three point attempt when they were blowing them freely during our series.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Post#829 » by JasonStern » Fri May 31, 2019 4:16 am

Ah, McMullen ball with Travis "Bo" Outlaw...
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#830 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jun 1, 2019 3:33 am

Four days before the Raptors popped them by nine in the Finals opener, a prominent member of the Warriors posed a question: “Why the **** are we such big favorites?”

Vegas had opened with a series line that confused him. You’d have to bet $275 on the Warriors to win $100.

“Did they watch the Blazers series?” he asked.

The Warriors trailed for more time than they led against Portland. They fell down 17, 18 and 17 at separate times in the final three games of that misleading sweep. Thursday’s opener was the fourth straight game they’ve trailed by double-digits.

The Blazers — tired, banged up, newbies to the stage, appearing content to call it a season — bumbled away all three...

Interesting quote from the Warriors. Sounds like - even though it was a sweep - the Warriors weren't happy with how the Blazers series played out and had the Blazers been healthy, they may have actually had a chance to get past GS.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Post#831 » by JasonStern » Sun Jun 2, 2019 12:03 am

Read on Twitter
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
foxhole
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#832 » by foxhole » Sun Jun 2, 2019 4:41 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Four days before the Raptors popped them by nine in the Finals opener, a prominent member of the Warriors posed a question: “Why the **** are we such big favorites?”

Vegas had opened with a series line that confused him. You’d have to bet $275 on the Warriors to win $100.

The Warriors trailed for more time than they led against Portland. They fell down 17, 18 and 17 at separate times in the final three games of that misleading sweep. Thursday’s opener was the fourth straight game they’ve trailed by double-digits.

The Blazers — tired, banged up, newbies to the stage, appearing content to call it a season — bumbled away all three...

Interesting quote from the Warriors. Sounds like - even though it was a sweep - the Warriors weren't happy with how the Blazers series played out and had the Blazers been healthy, they may have actually had a chance to get past GS.

The team GS is facing now is the best defensive team in the NBA that can switch everything 1 on 1 not relying on team defence or schemes so if they get down even 12 to them GS has to work their butts off to get back even and actually defend a better offense than their had to worry about against the blazers with mismatches in several positions. They also don’t have the best player in the series anymore. Curry and Klay would hit couple of off screen 3s and then Toronto would lock up and go on a mini run of their own to get it up 12 again it was like all night in game 1 and even though they just lost by 9 Toronto was never really threatened as it felt like a blowout game without Kawhi doing much.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#833 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:22 am

This NBA finals has been a pretty frustrating exercise in "what if-isms" for me. What if Nurk had stayed healthy and what if the Blazers had made the rumored trade for Gasol they were rumored to be negotiating with the Grizzlies around the deadline. What if Nurk had been healthy, I had to have wondered what the WCF would have looked like then and if Portland could have held on to some of those leads they had with that different dimension and a better pick and roll game. What if the Nurk injury had still happened but they had made that deal for Gasol and he was who filled in for Nurk after he went down....
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#834 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:50 am

DusterBuster wrote:This NBA finals has been a pretty frustrating exercise in "what if-isms" for me. What if Nurk had stayed healthy and what if the Blazers had made the rumored trade for Gasol they were rumored to be negotiating with the Grizzlies around the deadline. What if Nurk had been healthy, I had to have wondered what the WCF would have looked like then and if Portland could have held on to some of those leads they had with that different dimension and a better pick and roll game. What if the Nurk injury had still happened but they had made that deal for Gasol and he was who filled in for Nurk after he went down....

who was Portland going to trade?

Memphis got Valunciunas, Delon Wright, and Miles out of the deal. Valunciunas averaged 20 & 11 for the Grizz, while Wright averaged 12-5-5. Those two are a lot better than anything Portland was going to offer. I don't think the Blazers were even in the ballpark

yes, it would have been more interesting if Nurk would have been healthy....unless Durant was healthy too of course. Trouble is that Nurk was healthy in last season's playoffs when the Pels swept by selling out their defense to stop Dame and Nurk couldn't impact that. The Warriors did essentially the same thing; I have doubts that a healthy Nurkic would have solved that Dame-centric defense enough to make a significant difference.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#835 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jun 8, 2019 5:00 am

I see wet-blanket mode is still engaged as ever.... jeez
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#836 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Jun 8, 2019 8:35 am

Watching how fast the raps are playing it is a shame we love walking the ball up the court. This series mirrors our so much it's freaky. We could've easily been in the Raps position up 3-1 in the west finals if we took care of business at he end of games.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#837 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Jun 8, 2019 8:43 am

DusterBuster wrote:

I honestly think we could've done it if we didn't fumble it away. Outside of the travel logistics that messed up game 1 we should've absolutely won game 2 and 3. Whether or not game 4 would've been another have a big lead but blow it being up 2-1 vs down 0-3 heading into that game is questionable, but we fumbled game 2 and 3 away completely. The Raps did no such thing with their leads and went up 2-1 like we should have, we a great chance to make it 3-1 like they just did in Portland.

In a way though I am content, the Warriors are finished KD is gone, they are so different without him, they aren't the juggernauts they were in 2016. Hou is crumbling, the West is wide open we got Dame on lock for multiple years with McCollum right behind him and our big money contracts are expiring next summer.

Plus this way I don't have to feel guilty rooting for the Blazers over the Raps winning it all. LoL
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#838 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Jun 8, 2019 8:44 am

Kawhi is gonna do what he was going to before ZaZa shamelessly swept the knee 2 years ago. Thank God for ZaZa for that started the series of events that moved that killer to the east where I suspect he'll stay, at least for 2 more years.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#839 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:21 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I honestly think we could've done it if we didn't fumble it away. Outside of the travel logistics that messed up game 1 we should've absolutely won game 2 and 3. Whether or not game 4 would've been another have a big lead but blow it being up 2-1 vs down 0-3 heading into that game is questionable, but we fumbled game 2 and 3 away completely. The Raps did no such thing with their leads and went up 2-1 like we should have, we a great chance to make it 3-1 like they just did in Portland.

In a way though I am content, the Warriors are finished KD is gone, they are so different without him, they aren't the juggernauts they were in 2016. Hou is crumbling, the West is wide open we got Dame on lock for multiple years with McCollum right behind him and our big money contracts are expiring next summer.

Plus this way I don't have to feel guilty rooting for the Blazers over the Raps winning it all. LoL

Yeah I'm actually liking how the NBA looks to be shaping up over the next few years. It feels as though the ultra-super team era seems to be coming to a close. There'll still be teams with 2-3 high end guys, but I think it's getting to a point where the talent is going to be more evenly spread around the league. This is all good news for the Blazers. If they get lucky with good matchups and health for a full year, there's a chance (albeit small one) that they could make another run at things in a few years here.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#840 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:30 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I see wet-blanket mode is still engaged as ever.... jeez

sorry...but seriously, how could the Blazers have competed with that Toronto package? Turner + Meyers + the 25th pick? Memphis would have seen no value in that. Mo + Meyers is slightly better, but still, not enough. Valanciuanas & Wright are good players, both 26 years old and entering their primes. Portland simply didn't have the assets to compete in a quality-for-quality-give-to-get trade.

and yeah, I'm kind of sour on seeing Lillard get swarmed for 4 straight years in the playoffs and the Blazers still not having an answer for it. IMO, Nurk would have helped a little but not enough to turn 0-4 into 4-2 or 4-3

Return to Portland Trail Blazers