Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Would this be legal? 

Post#1 » by TKainZero » Mon May 27, 2019 10:51 pm

Lebron has many business interests in LA

He runs TV shows...

What would stop him from paying people to be on his shows?

Say the lakers sign some combination of kyrie/kawhai/jimmy/klay/cousins/kemba/Middleton/whoever

They all take WAY below market deals...
Then lebron signs them up for a tv show.
They sign a tv contact for 12 episodes for 1 million dollars an episode.

Is this legal?
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Re: Would this be legal? 

Post#2 » by tviper » Tue May 28, 2019 12:41 am

TKainZero wrote:Lebron has many business interests in LA

He runs TV shows...

Say the lakers sign some combination of kyrie/kawhai/jimmy/klay/cousins/kemba/Middleton/whoever

Is this legal?

No, this would be a clear example of circumventing the cap.

Whenever a contract is signed, the team, player, and player's agent must swear under penalty of perjury that there are no side agreements relating to a variety of things including outside compensation.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Post#3 » by RamonSessions7 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:49 am

tviper wrote:

He runs TV shows...

Is this legal?

Whenever a contract is signed, the team, player, and player's agent must swear under penalty of perjury that there are no side agreements relating to a variety of things including outside compensation.

Like Kawhi having the outside benefit of eating free at all these restaurants giving him free meals? Let's send that right into the league and make raps ineligible to resign.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#4 » by tviper » Tue May 28, 2019 1:02 am

RamonSessions7 wrote:
tviper wrote:

He runs TV shows...

Is this legal?

Like Kawhi having the outside benefit of eating free at all these restaurants giving him free meals? Let's send that right into the league and make raps ineligible to resign.

Not sure if you are being serious, but I guarantee the league will look at it if there is any agreement in place. It would be hard to prove unless someone was dumb enough to put it in writing.
RamonSessions7
RealGM

Post#5 » by RamonSessions7 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:05 am

tviper wrote:
RamonSessions7 wrote:
tviper wrote:

Not sure if you are being serious, but I guarantee the league will look at it if there is any agreement in place. It would be hard to prove unless someone was dumb enough to put it in writing.

Oh yeah I get that. But how would they prove the TV deal was based on him signing. Could they just say he wanted on his show regardless. Actually asking, as I understand circumventing the cap but I don’t get where the line is drawn.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,463

Post#6 » by dockingsched » Tue May 28, 2019 2:21 am

RamonSessions7 wrote:
tviper wrote:
RamonSessions7 wrote:Like Kawhi having the outside benefit of eating free at all these restaurants giving him free meals? Let's send that right into the league and make raps ineligible to resign.

Oh yeah I get that. But how would they prove the TV deal was based on him signing. Could they just say he wanted on his show regardless. Actually asking, as I understand circumventing the cap but I don’t get where the line is drawn.

Can’t really prove it if there isn’t a paper trail, but if there’s no paper trail then I’m not really sure why any agent/lawyer would advise their client to put much stock in a “promise”.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
RamonSessions7
RealGM

Post#7 » by RamonSessions7 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:47 am

dockingsched wrote:
RamonSessions7 wrote:
tviper wrote:

Can’t really prove it if there isn’t a paper trail, but if there’s no paper trail then I’m not really sure why any agent/lawyer would advise their client to put much stock in a “promise”.

Take the report of that Toronto millionaire offering kawhi that multi million dollar penthouse. That was just about publicity for the real estate investor or whoever he was then, since that would most definitely not be allowed even if the contract simply had a “if you happen to remain employed in this city...” agreement? What about the TV show example where the production company is ok with trying to pay X to have the person on the show, so they just offer a larger contract with no “you have to be on this team” agreement for more with hopes that sways him without explicit agreement.
I understand it would be a risky or stupid business move to offer more than makes sense if the person ends up taking your deal and not coming, but how would that be handled as an outside benefit? I assume NBA would be all over anything resembling that, just wonder if there is a line drawn.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#8 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 28, 2019 3:49 am

Brilliant! Do it Bron!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
TKainZero
Head Coach

Post#9 » by TKainZero » Tue May 28, 2019 3:58 am

Im Just saying.

I’m not sure how the nba could prove that this was circumventing the cap?
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Post#10 » by tv24lakers » Tue May 28, 2019 4:13 am

RamonSessions7 wrote:Like Kawhi having the outside benefit of eating free at all these restaurants giving him free meals? Let's send that right into the league and make raps ineligible to resign.

It would not surprise me if athletes of all sports receive these type of “gifts” for their performance or affiliation to a team.
I don’t imagine a team would be responsible for policing third party offers. If the league were to place teams accountable for regulating outside “contributions” it would be relatively easy for an opponent to exploit that rule and create a disingenuous favor.
For example let’s say Kyrie was settling between Boston and LA. I would deliberately make an enticing offer to Kyrie contingent on his return all the while seeking to get the Celtics in trouble.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,868

Post#11 » by LakersLegacy » Tue May 28, 2019 9:58 am

We can offer any star that wants to join a Kobecopter so they can practice more.

But let’s face it. It cost sooooooo much more to
live in California.

12.3% California tax paid for all home games
37% federal tax rate.
9.5% sales tax in LA California
7.5% DMV tax on value of vehicles owned
2% property tax rate on value of property owned
($260,000.00 per year on Kawhis new home)

Nike can pay athletes more that live in LA.
TV and Film can pay athletes whatever they want. LeBron shouldn’t be negotiating the deal. But Rich Paul could. So perhaps they could make up for the tax hit some. But not enough to take a lesser contract. The NBA would never get between a player and a film deal. The Players Union would never allow that to happen.

But just the California state income tax will be approx $21,000,000.00 on a 4 year max contract.
TKainZero
Head Coach

Post#12 » by TKainZero » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:17 am

So this is intresting now

Space Jam 2 will have lebron in it, and also AD

AD just waved his 4 million dollar trade bonus...
I wonder what his salary for Space Jam 2 will be?

king_james_vers
Junior
And1: 743

Post#13 » by king_james_vers » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:51 am

RamonSessions7 wrote:
tviper wrote:

He runs TV shows...

Is this legal?

The difference is that entities unaffiliated with the Raptors are making those offers. You're basically talking about LeBron -- or entities LeBron owns/funds -- pulling strings to make these offers.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#14 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:10 am

Seems like cap circumvention to me.Who is writing the 12 million dollar check for tv show? Lebron? This much different than Lebron having casting power in a movie he isn't directly invested in.
tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Post#15 » by tv24lakers » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:49 am

While I could see how that proposal may be favorable for LeBron’s interests as a Laker, I don’t think it’s prudent for him to get entangled in the financial affairs. This a considerable risky proposition, seemingly jeopardizing his NBA career and his brand, which is worth far more than his current salary.
TKainZero
Head Coach

Post#16 » by TKainZero » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:57 am

It will be interesting to see how much AD gets vs Klay or lillard for space jam

LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#17 » by LakersSoul » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:43 am

He runs TV shows...

Is this legal?

Yes, it’s legal.

This isn’t Lakers money.
Is there an agreement between Lakers and Bron to pay the other players?

It has nothing to do with the Lakers and NBA what LeBron’s company want to pay their movie star or ad(or AD) stars in a commercial. As long as there are no dumb phone calls or links, its all legal what LeBron does with his money or his company. That said, I doubt LeBron needs to do anything. AD is already getting the max. He will also get the commercial/movie revenues soon too.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#18 » by stan francisco » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 am

The players and agents know what signing with us means for extra curricular income and attention for endorsements.

It doesn’t even have to be talked about. Blatantly saying it right out and offering income on the side is illegal.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4

Return to Los Angeles Lakers