One day remaining to the Draft.

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

One day remaining to the Draft. 

Post#1 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:11 am

I know we're only picking 18th, the guy we get may not be superstar, but then again who knows. I'd like to get up in the top 10 there are some guys there I'd really like to have. Jarrett Culver, DeAndre Hunter, Rui Hachimura and Jaxson Hayse intrigue me.

Is there any way the Pacers could get into the top ten? Could they take on some teams bad contract and get a pick swap to move up. Washington could send Ian Mahinmi back to the Pacers to swap from 9 to our 18th pick? Would they? Would we? Would Minnesota give up their 11th pick to get Dieng off their roster? Or would Miami give their 13th pick to get out of one of their bad contacts, Waiters, James Johnson? If we're talking Miami I'm not gonna want to swap them our pick for theirs. They are gonna be in the tax and need to move someone. They might want to move Dragic he's in the last year of his deal at $19.2 million for 2019-20. I'd swap them the 18th pick for their 13 and Dragic. He could serve as a good bridge for Holiday. That would get them out of the tax. Dragic is surely not what he was a few years ago, but could be helpful to us for a year or 2.

Anyone have any ideas going into the draft on ways to get higher picks?

Edited to update remaining time.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: 24 Days, 2 hours 42 min remaining to the Draft. 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Tue May 28, 2019 12:56 am

I'd say higher still or don't bother. the draft is pretty flat after the top tier particularly if you exclude the centers.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#3 » by Jake0890 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:13 am

I think it's pretty unlikely we make a move up. Like Wiz said, there's a steep drop off after 2/3 depending on how you feel about RJ Barrett. Even if we saw someone we liked, unless you're willing to move Myles, Sabonis, or Oladipo, I don't think we've got the value pieces to get it done.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#4 » by Grang33r » Tue May 28, 2019 2:21 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:I know we're only picking 18th, the guy we get may not be superstar, but then again who knows. I'd like to get up in the top 10 there are some guys there I'd really like to have. Jarrett Culver, DeAndre Hunter, Rui Hachimura and Jaxson Hayse intrigue me.

I don't hate this draft class but i think it'll be pretty difficult to get some of those guys. Culver and Hunter are top 5 picks in the last mock draft i saw on the athletic and the other two are top 12, which is more doable. I am not really high on Hachimura though.

I think the key is to realize there is no player that will immediately help the team and will need more developing. I think theres going to be some good players taken in this draft but they won't have much of an impact next season. Guy i like a lot is Nickeil Alexander-Walker and KZ Okpala. And Pacers are good at developing players so i think thats the route they will go, pick a guy who needs a lot of time who has high potential.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#5 » by Moooose » Tue May 28, 2019 5:02 pm

NBA drafts and NBA trade deadlines are the only events that excite me nowadays. Draft is happening soon and workouts had been quiet.

Personally, I don't see the Pacers trying to move up unless if it is for maybe a top 5 talent. I honestly don't see that much separation from the mid-lottery to the 18 spot and a lot of pieces are moving very quickly. I don't see this draft as a weak one, just a younger one. Raw talents are everywhere and it seems like buying a Kinder Joy hoping you'll get a good prize inside. As compared to the last two drafts, this upcoming draft is the hardest to gauge, the degrees of variation between mock drafts and big boards are probably indications that we gauge this draft more on potential scores than the factual scores.

Even if we stay put at 18, it really looks like we could end up with someone serviceable. Probably someone who'd slip past the lottery - I am no Keldon Johnson fan but he is one possibility. Nickeil Alexander-Walker is one too. There are some risers who could be in the mix as well - Nic Claxton, Kabengele, Herro, Jerome. Thybulle is a possibility too.

I like a lot of guys at 18. I am starting to see Herro being a good fit but his physicals are not too pretty. Solid scorer though, who is not afraid to take shots. I also agree with Grang33r on Alexander - Walker. He's got skills that should translate into the pros, elite defender, like a Thybulle with better offensive potential.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#6 » by Wizop » Tue May 28, 2019 7:51 pm

Moooose wrote:I am no Keldon Johnson fan but he is one possibility. Nickeil Alexander-Walker is one too. There are some risers who could be in the mix as well - Nic Claxton, Kabengele, Herro, Jerome. Thybulle is a possibility too. I like a lot of guys at 18. I am starting to see Herro being a good fit but his physicals are not too pretty.

I have Herro and Jerome below must of the other names you mention. PJ Washington is another KY option. Cam Johnson from UNC also has a pedigree.
Moooose
Starter

Post#7 » by Moooose » Thu May 30, 2019 4:38 pm

Wizop wrote:I have Herro and Jerome below must of the other names you mention. PJ Washington is another KY option. Cam Johnson from UNC also has a pedigree.

I have a feeling PJ Washington would be available at the 18th considering a lot of projected late first rounders are moving up. Not a sexy pick but there's a big chance his game would translate well in the NBA. Him or Brandon Clarke?

I am lukewarm on Cam Johnson. Watching him play, he looks lazy. He lacks aggression and I don't think he'd be a good 3 and D guy in the NBA. Mid second rounder to me.

Since earlier this year, I don't understand the hype with KZ Okpala. He's too stiff considering his physique. Nothing special in his game. He's perhaps the prospect with the greatest draft stock variation.

I think a lot of PF/C's will be available at the 18th - Clarke, Fernando, Kabengele, Claxton, Bitazde, Bassey.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Thu May 30, 2019 5:14 pm

Moooose wrote:I think a lot of PF/C's will be available at the 18th - Clarke, Fernando, Kabengele, Claxton, Bitazde, Bassey.

I see Clarke going higher in a lot of mocks. anyway, I want someone who can play the 3. if he can swing to 4, fine; but I don't see a need at 5 as Leaf can be our 3rd 5.

until tourney time, I watch pretty much only IU and Butler games so I really don't have strong personal evaluations.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 30, 2019 7:02 pm

Moooose wrote:
Wizop wrote:I have Herro and Jerome below must of the other names you mention. PJ Washington is another KY option. Cam Johnson from UNC also has a pedigree.

I have a feeling PJ Washington would be available at the 18th considering a lot of projected late first rounders are moving up. Not a sexy pick but there's a big chance his game would translate well in the NBA. Him or Brandon Clarke?

I am lukewarm on Cam Johnson. Watching him play, he looks lazy. He lacks aggression and I don't think he'd be a good 3 and D guy in the NBA. Mid second rounder to me.

Since earlier this year, I don't understand the hype with KZ Okpala. He's too stiff considering his physique. Nothing special in his game. He's perhaps the prospect with the greatest draft stock variation.

I think a lot of PF/C's will be available at the 18th - Clarke, Fernando, Kabengele, Claxton, Bitazde, Bassey.

Basset withdrew from the draft and is going back to Western Kentucky. Also, Bitadze is flying up the board and likely going in the 8-14 range.
Moooose
Starter

Post#10 » by Moooose » Fri May 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Basset withdrew from the draft and is going back to Western Kentucky. Also, Bitadze is flying up the board and likely going in the 8-14 range.

Smart move by Bassey. If Bitadze is climbing up, there should be someone slipping. This should be interesting.

Wizop wrote:I see Clarke going higher in a lot of mocks. anyway, I want someone who can play the 3. if he can swing to 4, fine; but I don't see a need at 5 as Leaf can be our 3rd 5.

until tourney time, I watch pretty much only IU and Butler games so I really don't have strong personal evaluations.

In the ringer's podcast, I think Tjark or Chau ranked Clarke second overall on his list next to Zion (if I am not mistaken). Clarke is interesting, but he is someone who looks like a 4/5 than a 3/4. Main concern is how his "budding" offensive game will translate to the pros as he will also likely play a different position. Factual scores are higher than potential scores, but he'd be pretty serviceable. He's had a good combine and could probably seal his draft stock in the lottery, but a lot of players are recently climbing up the mid first round.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 31, 2019 3:22 pm

Clark is one of those guys that’s getting lauded for his athletic talents, and a lot of hope and assumptions about his shot. Could be like Kawhi in that regards. Could be like Anthony Bennett in that regards.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Re: 9 Days, 7 hours 15 min remaining to the Draft. 

Post#12 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:57 pm

We're getting close to the big day. Then free agency, the off season is about to heat up.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#13 » by Tom White » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:15 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:We're getting close to the big day. Then free agency, the off season is about to heat up.

I'm glad you updated the title of this thread. Before you did, every time I looked at it a weird feeling of being stuck in a "groundhog's day" scenario came over me.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Tom White wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:We're getting close to the big day. Then free agency, the off season is about to heat up.

I'm glad you updated the title of this thread. Before you did, every time I looked at it a weird feeling of being stuck in a "groundhog's day" scenario came over me.

Return to Indiana Pacers