2018-19 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Re: 2018-19 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#121 » by Andi Obst » Sun May 12, 2019 3:37 pm

Making a comeback here just to apreciate HSV letting Lasogga go because they don't think he's good enough for the BL.

Superb decision-making.

What a club.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#122 » by Foye » Sun May 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Little Nathan wrote:Making a comeback here just to apreciate HSV letting Lasogga go because they don't think he's good enough for the BL.

Superb decision-making.

What a club.

haha.

The timing was absolutely great. Having to rely on a player who you just told we are not going to need your service next year
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#123 » by Andi Obst » Sun May 12, 2019 7:30 pm

BTW, I'm rooting for Union to make it. Would be cool to have a team from Berlin in the league that doesn't make you fall asleep within 5 minutes...

...and nobody needs Paderborn. Like, actually nobody.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Foye

Post#124 » by Foye » Mon May 13, 2019 11:42 am

Sorry, ZoLo...but the irony of getting your CL hopes crushed by two goal striker Anthony Ujah and then even on top Baku being subbed in was too much for me...I was in tears :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the words of Roman Weidenfeller, though, be proud of your team...you "have a Grandios Saison gespielt" :wink:
Foye

Post#125 » by Foye » Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Dortmund buying Schulz for 25 mil is one of the wierdest deals of the summer already for me.
Dude is a pretty mediocre player tbh.
ZoLo
Senior
And1: 305

Post#126 » by ZoLo » Wed May 15, 2019 11:39 pm

Foye wrote:Sorry, ZoLo...but the irony of getting your CL hopes crushed by two goal striker Anthony Ujah and then even on top Baku being subbed in was too much for me...I was in tears :lol: :lol: :lol:

That Baku substitution was the highlight of the game. And Schwarz probably knew what he did there.

The season ended for me after the Chelsea game. I am waiting for the first round draw of the DFB Pokal.
Foye

Post#127 » by Foye » Sat May 18, 2019 4:22 pm

ZoLo wrote:
Foye wrote:Sorry, ZoLo...but the irony of getting your CL hopes crushed by two goal striker Anthony Ujah and then even on top Baku being subbed in was too much for me...I was in tears :lol: :lol: :lol:

That Baku substitution was the highlight of the game. And Schwarz probably knew what he did there.

The season ended for me after the Chelsea game. I am waiting for the first round draw of the DFB Pokal.

Well, you can also look forward to travelling to Baku in the first EL qualification round now thanks to Boetius

Boetius was the man today. Bought him for just 3 mil I believe.

Hopefully, Schröder will invest the 30-35 Mil we are getting from Gbamin transfer as well as he did last year.
If so and we keep everyone else...watch out...the current squad has potential. Especially Mateta. The dude is made to be starting striker on a top club one day.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#128 » by Det the Threat » Sat May 18, 2019 6:59 pm

Well, we somehow stumbled into the Europa League after a whopping 13 points from the final 14 games and playing some crappy football.

I'm really curious to see what this summer brings given that Hazard will be leaving(for more than 25 mil), we're in dire need of pace in that squad and with Marco Rose becoming the new manager.
Foye

Post#129 » by Foye » Sun May 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Det the Threat wrote:Well, we somehow stumbled into the Europa League after a whopping 13 points from the final 14 games and playing some crappy football.

I'm really curious to see what this summer brings given that Hazard will be leaving(for more than 25 mil), we're in dire need of pace in that squad and with Marco Rose becoming the new manager.

Starting left back, left winger and right winger are the main areas Eberl needs to focus on in the summer IMO.
Plus some improvement over Drmic in case Stindl doesnt recover.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#130 » by Det the Threat » Sun May 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Foye wrote:Starting left back, left winger and right winger are the main areas Eberl needs to focus on in the summer IMO.

Left Back is a must for sure, but I'm not so sure about the wingers.
Rose plays a lot with two strikers and a midfield diamond, which also means that the fullbacks are pushing forward a lot.
We also re-signed Herrmann, which is alright and replacing Drmic won't be that hard given that he hardly had any impact during his fours seasons with us.

Also, we'll need to sell some players to make room for new signings.
Foye

Post#131 » by Foye » Sun May 19, 2019 9:29 pm

Det the Threat wrote:
Foye wrote:Starting left back, left winger and right winger are the main areas Eberl needs to focus on in the summer IMO.

Left Back is a must for sure, but I'm not so sure about the wingers.
Rose plays a lot with two strikers and a midfield diamond, which also means that the fullbacks are pushing forward a lot.
We also re-signed Herrmann, which is alright and replacing Drmic won't be that hard given that he hardly had any impact during his fours seasons with us.

Also, we'll need to sell some players to make room for new signings.

System with two or even three CF's have gotten more popular in the league in recent years. While it might work for the very offensive minded Bundesliga, it probably won't work as well in CL/EL, though.
I would try to continue using 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with two wingers. Lets be honest, it's the best and most balanced formation from a tactic point of view. But that's just me. However, if you don't have the Players to do so...you gotta adapt.

Looking at LB...Wendt is too old and not a top player anymore. Plus, he doesn't create many opportunities on offense.
Other Players like Johnson can Play the Position, too, but neither of the is a true LB --> replacement needed unless you think Poulsen will have a breakout Season. But can't rely on that.

LW/RW you have Herrmann, Traore, Johnson, Bennetts left.

Traore has a long history of not being effective enough in the final third.
Herrmann has never been the same since his injury.
Johnson you don't want him to be your starting winger.
Bennetts hasn't played a game all year.

You gotta have some reliable wingers who will deliver the balls to Plea. I'm not seeing it on the current roster.
I would try to address all of those weaknesses with the Hazard millions.

Meanwhile the current roster does have it's strengths, too. CB's are solid and the DM/CM are among the top of the league. No wonder Gladbach has conceeded the 3rd lowest amount of goals. Just Keep that solid foundation and get some wingers and a LB and you'll be fine next year.
Foye

Post#132 » by Foye » Sun May 19, 2019 9:45 pm

As for Mainz, we have played some good looking Football in recent weeks.

Approx. 1/3 of our roster will most likely leave. But the only really notable transfer will be Gbamin hopefully.

Everyone else like Bungert, Donati, Huth, Bussmann, Berggreen, Ujah has hardly made much of an impact on the pitch last season.

Will be interesting to see how Bell reacts to being benched. Honestly, it's looking like this guy has lost all competitive fire. I don't think he enjoys being a professional Football Player anymore. He was way too sloppy for the majority of the season and it's no coincidence we are performing better without him - even though his replacement Alexander Hack is downright dreadful, too.

Our biggest need is definitely: CB. Finding a partner for Niakhate because I have no faith whatsoever in Hack and Bell.

Other than that we need a replacement for Gbamin - although it might be enough to hope for internal growth Baku, Latza, Kunde, Barreiro. I would still prefer one more starting caliber option.

Further needs are a RB - Mwene is always injured and Brosinski is declining every year. Its dreadful to watch him defending These days.
And just like Gladbach we are in desperate need of wingers. Except for Boetius, who is used as #10, we really don't have any capable wingers. Two more starting caliber wingers would be nice.

Basically, just like Schröder did last season. He Needs to find five starting caliber (or very Close to) signings. Currently, we are only signing bench guys (Ji) or prospects (some Israel GK) which is IMO a waste of resources. We have enough depth with talents like Baku, Barreiro, Burkardt and also Eyibil coming from the youth academy. We are just lacking a few more Quality Players to really make a push towards the first half of the table.
Foye

Post#133 » by Foye » Tue May 28, 2019 7:02 am

cgf we are all waiting for your triumphatic return. Where you at?

Return to The General Soccer Board