ImageImageImage

What will Cedi’s extension look like?

Moderator: ijspeelman

ToneLocc
Ballboy
And1: 5

What will Cedi’s extension look like? 

Post#1 » by ToneLocc » Sun May 26, 2019 9:25 pm

Cedi will be eligible for a 4/$49 million extension during this upcoming season. What are you guys’ feelings on this? What is he actually worth, and what will he get?

In my opinion, he may be worth less than this, but I’m all for that exact extension. He’s a fan favorite and his teammates seem to love him. He may not have A TON of upside, but I think he will get to the point that he’s regarded as a legitimate starting wing. Feels like we need to re-sign him to me.

It’d be awesome if the Front Office could secure him for less than $49mil, but with all of our expiring contracts and a long “renaissance” ahead of us, I don’t think ~$12.5 mil a season would hamstring us.

Let me know what y’all think!
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: What will Cedi’s extension look like? 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Sun May 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Without developing that 3 point shooting ability he would be relegated to a primary bench role once this team becomes built for the playoffs in a few years. I think he will get better in that area, but really think his point forward skill alone make him worth the $ and he is only that 3 pointer and a little more refinement on his passing decisions away from being a legit high level starter and worth more $.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:07 am

It's hard to say after last season. I liked Drew but Cedi is not a 4 and he should not have spent the minutes he did at that position. Sexton isn't a facilitator. He was on the Court with some real garbage lineups. It's difficult to say he's more than a solid wing defender after last season, but I'm not convinced that's all he is.

I don't really want to extend him for that right now, but I also don't want take our chances with him as a RFA next summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#4 » by substancej » Mon May 27, 2019 12:09 pm

IMO, he's only a starter on a tanking team
Kevin Love finna get traded
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Mon May 27, 2019 2:49 pm

substancej wrote:IMO, he's only a starter on a tanking team

The fact he played very well in a smaller role with Lebron and other vets as a rookie and then was thrown in the fire last season it's pretty obvious he needs better players around him to maximize his skills which is pretty normal & his current progression doesn't indicate relegation to the bench role long term as much responsibility as was allotted last season before he was ready for it, at least not yet. But that is where you see how many young players get overrated on good teams and so many get undervalued in their development process on bad teams. I said it before if he develops his outside shot to a higher levelk he can play the role he did last year and be a quality starter. If not then yes his ceiling is capped as a bench role player.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#6 » by Richfield » Mon May 27, 2019 2:56 pm

Having Cedi on the team is a good thing. The way salaries have grown in recent years makes it hard to put a number on it. But whatever 8th/9th men make (on a good team), that's what he should get. The numbers you posted sound more like investment in a starter or 6th/7th man, I could be wrong. I like Cedi, but don't see him as in charge mentally as I want him to be when he's on the floor. There is some occasional tunnel vision there in my opinion, and even though he's hit some big shots, I don't see him as every day reliable or trustworthy just yet. He's definitely an asset to the team, don't get me wrong, and there might be a better way to use him that sees more value, I don't know what that would be. I wouldn't want to invest too much in him minutes wise (and therefore money wise) until he shows some more growth in being in command of his pace. He seems to have flashes where he's rushing, and others where he's a step slow due to awareness. Love his effort and heart, so if he does get overpaid, I'll be hopeful he can grow into the contract. There are worse guys you could overpay.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:48 pm

substancej wrote:IMO, he's only a starter on a tanking team
He should be a 4th or 5th option offensively. Same with Nance. If you have solid 1-3 options on offense, those guys fit your roster perfectly. We just don't have those guys.

Love is really a second option. Sexton is, currently, a sixth man on a good team.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,368

Post#8 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 28, 2019 8:06 pm

It's difficult to judge anybody based on what we saw under Lue or Drew. We need to see how they play under Beilein with instruction, structure, and expectations. Cedi may surprise us, but let's see.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Tue May 28, 2019 10:15 pm

JonFromVA wrote:It's difficult to judge anybody based on what we saw under Lue or Drew. We need to see how they play under Beilein with instruction, structure, and expectations. Cedi may surprise us, but let's see.

Yeah thats a great point, but given Beileins system seems to require 4 or 5 reasonably decent 3 point shooters ;Cedi will have to improve or be relegated to a bench initiator role, which is fine, but impacts his salary for sure.
That being said they cannot plan that it will work well yr 1 regardless without sweeping roster moves which don't seem likely.
But nobody will fault Beilein being a first yr NBA coach so it's not an issue long term if they get the personnel that fit his system as long as they don't compromise upside for fit in the draft.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:03 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:It's difficult to judge anybody based on what we saw under Lue or Drew. We need to see how they play under Beilein with instruction, structure, and expectations. Cedi may surprise us, but let's see.

Yeah thats a great point, but given Beileins system seems to require 4 or 5 reasonably decent 3 point shooters ;Cedi will have to improve or be relegated to a bench initiator role, which is fine, but impacts his salary for sure.
That being said they cannot plan that it will work well yr 1 regardless without sweeping roster moves which don't seem likely.
But nobody will fault Beilein being a first yr NBA coach so it's not an issue long term if they get the personnel that fit his system as long as they don't compromise upside for fit in the draft.
I don't think it's realistic to assume you're going to have 4 starters who are good three-point shooters. We're fortunate to have Love as it is.

Cedi and Nwaba are the only decent wing defenders we have. Everyone else is a poor defender. Depending on who we draft, I'd be nervous about sending Cedi to the bench.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Wed May 29, 2019 1:07 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I don't think it's realistic to assume you're going to have 4 starters who are good three-point shooters. We're fortunate to have Love as it is.

I would think if in fact he will be attempting to make his college system work at the pro level he will be pushing for 4 solid 3 point shooters , but yeah it will take time to acquire them, and the plan might get ditched pretty fast.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,368

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 29, 2019 7:17 am

You can do some damage with a spread offense and 4 mediocre (or better) shooters, and once it starts clicking you can expect the %'s to rise across the board.

So, let's just see who fits and who doesn't.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#13 » by substancej » Wed May 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Completely agree with this
Kevin Love finna get traded
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Post#14 » by Mind_Odyssey » Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 pm

Unless he develops a 3 pointer, I won’t care if he walks. He plays like a JAG.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:55 pm

Mind_Odyssey wrote:Unless he develops a 3 pointer, I won’t care if he walks. He plays like a JAG.

I don't want him back at $12M per, but Cedi can still defend and you need guys like that on your roster. Sexton and Clarkson are both high-use on offense and negatives on defense. They need to play alongside guys like Cedi or Nwaba. Whether that's in a starting role or off the bench.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers