ESPN: Lakers 2.0 The failed reboot

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Re: ESPN: Lakers 2.0 The failed reboot 

Post#81 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed May 29, 2019 4:47 am

Slava wrote:
According to nearly two dozen current and former team staffers, ranging from occupants of executive suites to office cubicles, in addition to league sources and others close to the team, the Lakers under Johnson and Pelinka were fraught with dysfunction, on and off the court. These sources, who feared reprisal and weren't authorized to speak publicly, describe Pelinka and Johnson as managers who made unilateral free-agent acquisitions; triggered a spate of tampering investigations and fines; berated staffers, including Walton; and created an in-house culture that many current and former longtime staffers said marginalized their colleagues, inspired fear and led to feelings of anxiety severe enough that at least two staffers suffered panic attacks.

As one ex-Lakers star privately told confidants, "It's f----ng crazy over there."

In November, NBA commissioner Adam Silver and Maverick Carter, LeBron's longtime business partner, met for lunch. James' agent, Rich Paul, was seated at a nearby table, and at one point, approached Silver to complain about Walton, multiple sources familiar with the interaction told ESPN. Paul said he didn't believe Walton was the right coach for the Lakers. Silver shrugged off the remark and asked whom Paul thought would be the right coach. Paul suggested Tyronn Lue.

A Lakers executive said he also suffered panic attacks and had to be prescribed anti-anxiety medication. "Every day you go in there and you get this horrible feeling of anxiety," the executive said. "In the last year, I can't tell you how many panic attacks I've had from the s--- that has happened there."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel

Some crazy **** in that story. :(

Meh. I was a wall st derivatives trader for 15 years. Can’t take the heat, get outta the kitchen. No sympathy whatsoever. Everyday I looked over my shoulder wondering if I had a bad enough day, would I get clipped? Results matter. You don’t perform, you’re gone. Nothing wrong with inspiring a little fear among those who work for you...
That being said... a lot of this sht was unnecessary. Like it’s one thing to scream at your trainer for half your team dealing with major injuries every year... it’s another to blame your coach for it. Have to know when it’s deserved
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#82 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:05 am

Asking for a friend. La Knickerbockers.... can we steal two teams?
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#83 » by chefy » Wed May 29, 2019 5:48 am

i say bs honestly

espn just piggy backing the story to make news
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,340

Post#84 » by 76ciology » Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 am

I say BS also.

Lakers were just unlucky. They didnt hire random clueless guys. People on realgm talks like they know stuffs more than Pelinka and Magic.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Free Rider
Veteran
And1: 1,565

Post#85 » by Free Rider » Wed May 29, 2019 7:35 am

Some of you seem to be in denial about the current state of the Lakers organization. ESPN writes stories about the Lakers because they’re the biggest and most popular NBA franchise worldwide. So of course they’re going to cover this team incessantly. That is what drives ratings and page clicks for them. None of which necessarily means that the reporting is false or inaccurate.

From all accounts the Lakers management is in disarray right now. Several people have now reported that Magic was an absentee POBO who failed to include and incorporate the experience, advice and suggestions of his more seasoned staff. It’s why our free agent acquisitions outside of LeBron made little very sense from the beginning. At a time when we needed shooting and spacing he signs guys like Rondo, Beasley, and Stephenson under some misguided notion that having multiple ball handlers who can’t shoot would be some secret advantage. Despite the coaching staff’s recommendations he also fails to resign Lopez and Randle, two guys who’ve proven to be valuable additions to the teams they signed on to and could have been useful bigs in our rotations. He ignores his scouting team to draft Mo Wagner after trading away the best player we’ve drafted in the last decade.

Meanwhile Pelinka continuously inserts himself in meetings he should have no part in and alienates everyone around him by straight out lying in their faces. He’s deservedly earned the reputation of someone you can’t possible trust and continues to drag other people in his B.S. by claiming they said things that they never uttered. He falls into the trap of constantly inflating his acquisitions to an absurd degree which is fine if you’re an agent but make you look like a fool as a GM.

And in the midst of this Jeannie seems to have abdicated her role as an owner and has let Linda and Kurt Rambis run the show under this delusional idea that only people formerly attached to the “Lakers family” could possibly manage the organization. As if hiring competent, knowledgeable, and experience people is somehow admitting defeat. She desperately needs to do a top down restructuring of the management and bring in people who have earned their way up through the management system but she’s intent on relying on these familial connections.

Whatever issues you may have with ESPN let’s at least acknowledge that the Lakers have brought this attention on themselves
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#86 » by Slava » Wed May 29, 2019 8:00 am

Yep this falls squarely on Jeannie being an incompetent owner.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Post#87 » by tv24lakers » Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 am

Free Rider wrote:Some of you seem to be in denial about the current state of the Lakers organization. ESPN writes stories about the Lakers because they’re the biggest and most popular NBA franchise worldwide. So of course they’re going to cover this team incessantly. That is what drives ratings and page clicks for them. None of which necessarily means that the reporting is false or inaccurate.

From all accounts the Lakers management is in disarray right now. Several people have now reported that Magic was an absentee POBO who failed to include and incorporate the experience, advice and suggestions of his more seasoned staff. It’s why our free agent acquisitions outside of LeBron made little very sense from the beginning. At a time when we needed shooting and spacing he signs guys like Rondo, Beasley, and Stephenson under some misguided notion that having multiple ball handlers who can’t shoot would be some secret advantage. Despite the coaching staff’s recommendations he also fails to resign Lopez and Randle, two guys who’ve proven to be valuable additions to the teams they signed on to and could have been useful bigs in our rotations. He ignores his scouting team to draft Mo Wagner after trading away the best player we’ve drafted in the last decade.

Meanwhile Pelinka continuously inserts himself in meetings he should have no part in and alienates everyone around him by straight out lying in their faces. He’s deservedly earned the reputation of someone you can’t possible trust and continues to drag other people in his B.S. by claiming they said things that they never uttered. He falls into the trap of constantly inflating his acquisitions to an absurd degree which is fine if you’re an agent but make you look like a fool as a GM.

And in the midst of this Jeannie seems to have abdicated her role as an owner and has let Linda and Kurt Rambis run the show under this delusional idea that only people formerly attached to the “Lakers family” could possibly manage the organization. As if hiring competent, knowledgeable, and experience people is somehow admitting defeat. She desperately needs to do a top down restructuring of the management and bring in people who have earned their way up through the management system but she’s intent on relying on these familial connections.

Whatever issues you may have with ESPN let’s at least acknowledge that the Lakers have brought this attention on themselves

Well said.

Im speculating that Jeanie and Rob have taken the duck and hide approach, deliberately avoiding media to spread any further conversation and counter analysis with the hopes this should die out in time. Let’s see how well that strategy works w/ Magic continually accepting media engagements.

Unquestionably Magic should never return to the Lakers in any leadership capacity.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#88 » by chefy » Wed May 29, 2019 11:29 am

i also think jeanie is a reptilian ruler and a member of the illuminati.

just not a big fan of he said she said "i speculate", "my theory" stuff.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#89 » by Mr Loggins » Wed May 29, 2019 12:00 pm

76ciology wrote:I say BS also.

Lakers were just unlucky. They didnt hire random clueless guys. People on realgm talks like they know stuffs more than Pelinka and Magic.

i dunno, surrounding James with “playmakers” instead of shooters *was* clueless
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#90 » by iamworthy » Wed May 29, 2019 1:09 pm

Number of games played by laker players last year:

LeBron 55
Ingram 52
Lonzo 47
Kuz 70
Rondo 46
Hart 67
KCP 82
Magee 75

But let's all ignore this.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Slava » Wed May 29, 2019 1:16 pm

iamworthy wrote:Number of games played by laker players last year:

LeBron 55
Ingram 52
Lonzo 47
Kuz 70
Rondo 46
Hart 67
KCP 82
Magee 75

Doesn't matter. Succeeding in this business is very hard even when all things are going well for a franchise and the basketball operations are run smoothly. It becomes harder when there is infighting, lack of a coherent action and self sabotage happening with a rotten culture.

You don't need anyone telling you every single person inside and outside the franchise hates Pelinka from the number of sources willing to take names and provide extremely detailed information in that article, albeit anonymously. The only person who likes him appears to be Linda Rambis.

If it wasn't injuries, it would have been something else.
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#92 » by iamworthy » Wed May 29, 2019 1:28 pm

Slava wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Number of games played by laker players last year:

LeBron 55
Ingram 52
Lonzo 47
Kuz 70
Rondo 46
Hart 67
KCP 82
Magee 75

Doesn't matter. Succeeding in this business is very hard even when all things are going well for a franchise and the basketball operations are run smoothly. It becomes harder when there is infighting, lack of a coherent action and self sabotage happening with a rotten culture.

You don't need anyone telling you every single person inside and outside the franchise hates Pelinka from the number of sources willing to take names and provide extremely detailed information in that article, albeit anonymously. The only person who likes him appears to be Linda Rambis.

If it wasn't injuries, it would have been something else.

I'm talking about results on the court. We really never got to see if magics playmakers over shooters worked or wouldn't have worked.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#93 » by myersia » Wed May 29, 2019 1:32 pm

Magic is back on espn spewing his venom. Almost everything he says is exactly what’s in the espn article. How ironic....

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Post#94 » by RamonSessions7 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:
76ciology wrote:I say BS also.

i dunno, surrounding James with “playmakers” instead of shooters *was* clueless

Yeah I wouldn’t be so sure average fans don’t know some stuffs more than Magic, such as FA fits and how to not contradict yourself constantly.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by Slava » Wed May 29, 2019 1:33 pm

myersia wrote:Magic is back on espn spewing his venom. Almost everything he says is exactly what’s in the espn article. How ironic....

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

The gift that keeps on giving.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by Slava » Wed May 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Read on Twitter

How much drugs did Magic do in the 80s man?
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#97 » by myersia » Wed May 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Slava wrote:
Read on Twitter

How much drugs did Magic do in the 80s man?

I honestly don’t think the man truly understands who he is and what he does. Sad to see a grown ass man this confused in life

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 644

Post#98 » by Desiderium » Wed May 29, 2019 3:22 pm

iamworthy wrote:Please tell me that Jeannie didn't really like the tweet from silver screen and roll

What was the tweet?
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#99 » by iamworthy » Wed May 29, 2019 3:27 pm

Desiderium wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Please tell me that Jeannie didn't really like the tweet from silver screen and roll

What was the tweet?

I think this one

Read on Twitter
?s=21
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#100 » by iamworthy » Wed May 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Los Angeles Lakers