ImageImageImageImage

OT: General OT / Entertainment Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,392

OT: General OT / Entertainment Thread 

Post#1 » by SOUL » Thu May 23, 2019 3:11 am

Feel like we've had a severe lack of OT threads on the board which is good and bad. There's a lot of interest in the team but we're just going in circle with the same arguments. Thought we needed a thread just to shoot the **** and talk about whatever.

I'm watching Chernobyl on HBO lately and it's **** great. The first episode is haunting and will keep you up for a little bit at night, at least it did for me. It's amazing how bad things truly got and at the same time, how much worse it could've gotten.

Other than that, my 30th birthday is coming up soon. I don't know what I want to do, might treat myself to a new tattoo or something. I'm in the New York area so I guess I have a pretty wide range of things to do with my friends. :lol:
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Re: OT: General OT / Entertainment Thread 

Post#2 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:45 am

All this talk of people canceling HBO subscriptions after GoT is ridiculous. They are so much more than GoT which was all was just a cute attempt at capturing the books (far better than the show).

Along with Chernobyl, I am absolutely freaked about the upcoming Watchmen series. That should be amazing. A ton of super dark source material and HBO is the mature platform to do it justice.

John Oliver is always hilarious as was Veep.

High Maintenance is a brilliant and refreshingly original series.

West World, Succession, True Detective + the classics on demand ... amazing channel.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,025

Post#3 » by The Real Dalic » Thu May 23, 2019 4:07 am

Happy Birthday, SOUL!

I'm both satisfied and sad about the entertainment side of my life this year. All of my favorite things ended this year. The Avengers (Movies), Game of Thrones (TV Show), and Kingdom Hearts (Video Games). It was great to see all 3 wrap up, but it's also pretty sad, especially since Kingdom Hearts has been around since I was just 8-9 years old.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#4 » by The Real Dalic » Thu May 23, 2019 4:08 am

MagicFan101 wrote:All this talk of people canceling HBO subscriptions after GoT is ridiculous. They are so much more than GoT which was all was just a cute attempt at capturing the books (far better than the show).

Along with Chernobyl, I am absolutely freaked about the upcoming Watchmen series. That should be amazing. A ton of super dark source material and HBO is the mature platform to do it justice.

John Oliver is always hilarious as was Veep.

High Maintenance is a brilliant and refreshingly original series.

West World, Succession, True Detective + the classics on demand ... amazing channel.

Definitely excited to watch Watchmen and there's an interesting show with James McAvoy that seems like it could potentially be good. As for the rest of it, they look okay. Somewhat interested in True Detective though.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#5 » by craig01 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:17 am

Succession really improved as the episodes developed.

Looking forward to it’s return.

West world started to lose my interest, but the lead actress keeps me watching.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#6 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 am

Don't watch many sitcoms as it is strictly movies, documentaries or Discovery/History channel. Watched movie "Destroyer" with Nicole Kidman last night, she was really good that I didn't think it was her most of the movie. I cut the cord a while back, so Kodi, Netflix or Prime for me. Also, Youtube.TV has been good for sports.

Only sitcoms I do watch are The Walking Dead, Better Call Saul and Lodge 49 (cuz, I know someone who is in some episodes). Also, I watch "What we do in the shadows" episodes lately. A decent comedy.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#7 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:25 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Don't watch many sitcoms as it is strictly movies, documentaries or Discovery/History channel. Watched movie "Destroyer" with Nicole Kidman last night, she was really good that I didn't think it was her most of the movie. I cut the cord a while back, so Kodi, Netflix or Prime for me. Also, Youtube.TV has been good for sports.

Only sitcoms I do watch are The Walking Dead, Better Call Saul and Lodge 49 (cuz, I know someone who is in some episodes). Also, I watch "What we do in the shadows" episodes lately. A decent comedy.

Post season 3-4, Walking Dead has a claim for some of the worst, dry and stale content on all television.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,671

Post#8 » by ChosenSavior » Thu May 23, 2019 1:42 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Happy Birthday, SOUL!

I'm both satisfied and sad about the entertainment side of my life this year. All of my favorite things ended this year. The Avengers (Movies), Game of Thrones (TV Show), and Kingdom Hearts (Video Games). It was great to see all 3 wrap up, but it's also pretty sad, especially since Kingdom Hearts has been around since I was just 8-9 years old.

Don't really feel that Kingdom Hearts is over at all. One saga may have ended but the ending opened up a completely new story arc. Also Nomura is planning big DLC for KH3 as I'm sure the first phase of it will drop around June/July during E3 season. The game definitely needs it as so much was left out.
Maikson
Sophomore
And1: 158

Post#9 » by Maikson » Thu May 23, 2019 1:43 pm

I really needed a thread like that to ask something I'm really curious about. Has anyone here ever played indoor basketball with the official NBA ball?

I play pickup basketball indoors once per week, and in my country it's really hard to find decent basketballs. I've spent a lot of money 2 years ago importing a Wilson Evolution, but honestly I find it a bit overrated. After those years it's still a soft ball, but it's so slippery. The court I play is kinda dusty, and when people get sweaty it slips all the time.

I was thinking about making a massive investment to import the official NBA ball. It's really, really expensive, because currently 1 USD = 4,15 of my currency, and there is a 60% import tax on the overall cost (ball + shipping).

Do you guys think it's worth it? All I see is people say it needs a few months to break in and after that the ball is great. I also read that it has grip when it's wet by sweat, but what about dust?

Carmelo Anthony has small hads for his size and he said he can't palm the ball, so I wonder if the ball is really grippy... My hand size is about the same as Melo and I can't palm the Wilson.
Studying English, please correct my mistakes if possible :)
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,413

Post#10 » by UCFJayBird » Thu May 23, 2019 1:50 pm

ChosenSavior wrote:

Don't really feel that Kingdom Hearts is over at all. One saga may have ended but the ending opened up a completely new story arc. Also Nomura is planning big DLC for KH3 as I'm sure the first phase of it will drop around June/July during E3 season. The game definitely needs it as so much was left out.

Yea I believe they've said KH3 was the end of the "Dark Seeker Saga" (I think that's it) and that KH4 would be the start of a new one. Question will probably be will it still revolve around the same heroes. The post credits scene for KH3 seems to suggest it will, but I wouldn't mind seeing Sora, Riku, et al become more background figures and for new characters to take over as the primary protagonists, and switch out Donald/Goofy for other Disney characters, though i'm not sure who would work as well as they did. But they'll probably just stick with Sora. I always remember the beginning of KH1 and wonder if his mom is wondering where he is, lol.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#11 » by UCFJayBird » Thu May 23, 2019 2:01 pm

i'm excited for some TV coming out here soon. Need to check out Chernobyl given the reviews. Everyone is talking about it.

Netflix
Black Mirror Season 5 in June
Dark Season 2 in June
Jessica Jones Season 3 in June
Stranger Things Season 3 in July
Ozark season 3
Altered Carbon season 2 (probably in 2020 though)

HBO
Silicon Valley should be returning soon
His Dark Materials
Watchmen
Westworld season 3 (though it's next year)
need to check out Barry

Amazon
The Expanse season 4!

Cable
Better Call Saul season 5 (though it's sounding like 2020)
i just realized The Blacklist has been back this whole time and my DVR wasn't recording it, lol. Guess i'll be binging the latest season soon

i watch too much tv, lol
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#12 » by rcklsscognition » Thu May 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Watching Lunatics on Netflix, comedy show from Chris Lilley. If you are into it, check out Angry Boys or Summer Heights High.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#13 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
Amazon
The Expanse season 4!

Check out The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#14 » by The Real Dalic » Fri May 24, 2019 12:17 am

UCFJayBird wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:

Yea I believe they've said KH3 was the end of the "Dark Seeker Saga" (I think that's it) and that KH4 would be the start of a new one. Question will probably be will it still revolve around the same heroes. The post credits scene for KH3 seems to suggest it will, but I wouldn't mind seeing Sora, Riku, et al become more background figures and for new characters to take over as the primary protagonists, and switch out Donald/Goofy for other Disney characters, though i'm not sure who would work as well as they did. But they'll probably just stick with Sora. I always remember the beginning of KH1 and wonder if his mom is wondering where he is, lol.

I know KH is technically not "done" yet, but it might not return in the same way we're used to, just like Marvel might not be the same way after Endgame. I'm just saying that those two as we know it might be done, and it's bittersweet.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#15 » by ezzzp » Fri May 24, 2019 1:20 am

SOUL wrote:Feel like we've had a severe lack of OT threads on the board which is good and bad. There's a lot of interest in the team but we're just going in circle with the same arguments. Thought we needed a thread just to shoot the **** and talk about whatever.

I'm watching Chernobyl on HBO lately and it's **** great. The first episode is haunting and will keep you up for a little bit at night, at least it did for me. It's amazing how bad things truly got and at the same time, how much worse it could've gotten.

Other than that, my 30th birthday is coming up soon. I don't know what I want to do, might treat myself to a new tattoo or something. I'm in the New York area so I guess I have a pretty wide range of things to do with my friends. :lol:

Chernobyl is excellent, tragic but very well done (so far after 3 episodes). A few years back I watched the documentary "The Battle of Chernobyl," which is also very interesting...its easy to find on YouTube.

Other series that I've really liked :

Amazon: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Vikings, The Americans, Homecoming, Patriot, Fleabag
Hulu: Fargo, Handmaids Tale
Netflix: Bloodline, Ozark, Russian Doll, Narcos, Master of None
HBO: Barry
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#16 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:33 am

Chernobyl is show i'm about to watch next

Stranger things 3 is returning within 2 weeks ( i laughed my a** off on trailer and Billy Baywatch )
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#17 » by UCFJayBird » Fri May 24, 2019 1:22 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
Amazon
The Expanse season 4!

Check out The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon.

My wife and I loved the first season. For some reason we haven't finished the second. We were so excited for it and then watched a few episodes and then took a break, came back a few weeks later and watched 4-5, and now we haven't watched it in months, and there's only like 3 episodes left.

My wife is a huge fan of the show runner (my wife still watches Gilmore Girls almost every day, lol), so i'm surprised we haven't gone back. I think we find it to be a little exhausting, haha.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#18 » by Nyce_1 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:35 pm

SOUL wrote:Feel like we've had a severe lack of OT threads on the board which is good and bad. There's a lot of interest in the team but we're just going in circle with the same arguments. Thought we needed a thread just to shoot the **** and talk about whatever.

Other than that, my 30th birthday is coming up soon. I don't know what I want to do, might treat myself to a new tattoo or something. I'm in the New York area so I guess I have a pretty wide range of things to do with my friends.
Chernobyl is wonderful. Great insight into the heros that put their lives on the line. Cant wait for episode 4 & 5.

Happy Birthday. You think about taking a trip somewhere? If you're into nature, Iceland is a short/cheap flight from NY. Can go for a long weekend.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#19 » by Max Power » Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 pm

I’ve been kind of out of loop on good tv lately. Been pursuing a web show I created trying to get it to an online format like Netflix/Hulu. It’s a tough pursuit. I do watch The Son on AMC, it’s decent but it’s starting to get kind of flat. I’ve started watching Warrior on Cinemax, it’s got a very interesting premise but like The Son is starting to flatline. I look forward to Watchman and I plan on checking out True Detective Season 3. I loved all the Marvel Netflix shows but their DOA. Jett with Carla Gugino does look like it might be interesting.

I never got into GOT or Walking Dead, but I loved Boardwalk Empire and Deadwood. My guilty pleasure is GLOW on Netflix.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#20 » by OrlandO » Wed May 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Max Power wrote: I loved Boardwalk Empire and Deadwood.

In case you didn't know, a new deadwood movie with much of the original cast returning is going to air on HBO in two days.

Return to Orlando Magic