ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings Trade Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,017

Re: NBA Free Agency / Trade Thread 

Post#81 » by dckingsfan » Tue May 28, 2019 1:13 pm

becorz wrote:What do you all think of Thaddeus Young? Put him, Barnes, and Bagley out there, you can get real switch-y on defense.

He is a decent defender but a little below average rebounder for PF and that worries me given our recent problems in that area. And he isn't really a rim protector. I wouldn't take a hard pass but I think we have other higher level problems?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#82 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue May 28, 2019 7:33 pm

Defense first, rebounding later. The two teams that made it to the finals yet again are mediocre in boarding. Warriors 11th this season and Raptors even worse than Sac. Both are bottom 20 in offensive boards as well this year. Efficiency on both ends is far more important than cleaning the glass.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#83 » by kalenclayton » Tue May 28, 2019 10:13 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
becorz wrote:What do you all think of Thaddeus Young? Put him, Barnes, and Bagley out there, you can get real switch-y on defense.

He is a decent defender but a little below average rebounder for PF and that worries me given our recent problems in that area. And he isn't really a rim protector. I wouldn't take a hard pass but I think we have other higher level problems?

Thad is a great defender in today’s NBA. Don’t sell him short. He is pretty fantastic.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#84 » by codydaze » Wed May 29, 2019 5:16 pm

Looks like Houston is looking to shake up the roster a bit. I wonder if there would be any interest in going after Capela? He's got a hefty contract and was somewhat exposed in the playoffs when teams go smaller but he'd be a nice get for us.

What else do you think we would need to add to a sign and trade with Willie to get him here? Though I believe the CBA doesn't allow extra pieces to be added in a sign and trade but I can be off here.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#85 » by blind prophet » Wed May 29, 2019 5:24 pm

No to Capela, poor spacing with Bagley.

We should just try to sign low years at medium payouts at center for people who can spread the floor and man up a little.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#86 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed May 29, 2019 8:26 pm

I'd take PJ Tucker. The rest? Nah.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#87 » by BoogieTime » Wed May 29, 2019 9:31 pm

As much as I’d love Capela, I think the impetus is for the Rockets to get better, not dump salary. Clint is on a somewhat economical deal, and their salary sheet isn’t so bad they’d need to shed him
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#88 » by dckingsfan » Thu May 30, 2019 3:51 pm

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#89 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 30, 2019 9:37 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:I'd take PJ Tucker. The rest? Nah.

Im with you here. I love me some PJ. Don't see the Rockets moving him but ill give em 9 2nd round picks and some cap savings lol.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#90 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Thad is a great defender in today’s NBA. Don’t sell him short. He is pretty fantastic.

Id be on board with Thad. I kinda figure hes going back to Indiana on a decent sized payday.

What kind of contract would you be comfortable giving him? Figure we would have to overpay to get him here.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#91 » by kalenclayton » Thu May 30, 2019 10:33 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:He is a decent defender but a little below average rebounder for PF and that worries me given our recent problems in that area. And he isn't really a rim protector. I wouldn't take a hard pass but I think we have other higher level problems?

Id be on board with Thad. I kinda figure hes going back to Indiana on a decent sized payday.

What kind of contract would you be comfortable giving him? Figure we would have to overpay to get him here.

It’s gonna be pricy. Indiana loves him. I think he gets something like $30 million / 2 years or maybe a little less per year on a longer contract. We would probably have to give incentive in the form of more years. Maybe $55 million / 4 years?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#92 » by dckingsfan » Thu May 30, 2019 10:41 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Why do you feel that way? I consider him decent (good) but not "great".

Maybe I missed something - probably only caught 10 of their games this season. I think he greatly benefits from playing alongside Sabonis and Turner.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by kalenclayton » Thu May 30, 2019 11:14 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:He is a decent defender but a little below average rebounder for PF and that worries me given our recent problems in that area. And he isn't really a rim protector. I wouldn't take a hard pass but I think we have other higher level problems?

Maybe I missed something - probably only caught 10 of their games this season.

I consider him a great team- and off-ball-defender who is almost like a coach on the floor (on both ends actually). His awareness of the floor on the defensive end is very, very impressive. Every time I see him, I come away with the same conclusion. He knows when to trap. He knows where every opposing player is. He knows when to show. He just has great knowledge, applies it correctly, and reacts. He may not fill up the stat sheet, but damn this guy can play defense. His switching ability is pretty great too. He moves his feet really well for not being the fastest guy. He just moves efficiently. He also does the little things (dives saves). He’s always moving. He can and will guard any position with confidence. He also will pressure as much as he can, meaning he just stays active. I enjoy this guy. Overall, he can do everything on D. He face might not pop up in your head when you think of shutdown defenders, but he should pop up when you think of guys who hold it all together and elevate others.

That’s just my perception of him.

Edit: he was 13th in the NBA this year on defensive win shares with 3.9. (Drummond was 1st w/ 5.9)
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by kalenclayton » Thu May 30, 2019 11:18 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Thad is a great defender in today’s NBA. Don’t sell him short. He is pretty fantastic.

Maybe I missed something - probably only caught 10 of their games this season.

I consider him a great team- and off-ball-defender who is almost like a coach on the floor (on both ends actually). His awareness of the floor on the defensive end is very, very impressive. Every time I see him, I come away with the same conclusion. He knows when to trap. He knows where every opposing player is. He knows when to show. He just has great knowledge, applies it correctly, and reacts. He may not fill up the stat sheet, but damn this guy can play defense. His switching ability is pretty great too. He moves his feet really well for not being the fastest guy. He just moves efficiently. He also does the little things (dives saves). He’s always moving. He can and will guard any position with confidence. He also will pressure as much as he can, meaning he just stays active. I enjoy this guy. Overall, he can do everything on D. He face might not pop up in your head when you think of shutdown defenders, but he should pop up when you think of guys who hold it all together and elevate others.

That’s just my perception of him.

This kinda shows what I’m talking about:

dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#95 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 31, 2019 12:46 pm

Just to be clear, you would move Bagley to C? So, Fox/Hield/Barnes/Young/Bagley
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by kalenclayton » Fri May 31, 2019 2:13 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Just to be clear, you would move Bagley to C? So, Fox/Hield/Barnes/Young/Bagley

I never said that, but sure. I only defended Young’s defense because the guy is seriously underrated. I think there are a few better targets for the Kings, but Young would absolutely improve the team. He’s low usage, stretches the floor (almost 35% from 3 last season), and plays fantastic team defense. He seems like a Vlade target because he’s a smart vet who is well respected and can make others better. If we want the defense to get better as a whole, don’t you want someone who can glue it all together? Young does that. He’s one of the biggest reasons the Pacers were so good this season. He was the vet voice who everyone looked to and he held the defense together. He’s a Swiss Army knife.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#97 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 31, 2019 5:59 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Just to be clear, you would move Bagley to C? So, Fox/Hield/Barnes/Young/Bagley

I never said that, but sure. I only defended Young’s defense because the guy is seriously underrated. I think there are a few better targets for the Kings, but Young would absolutely improve the team. He’s low usage, stretches the floor (almost 35% from 3 last season), and plays fantastic team defense. He seems like a Vlade target because he’s a smart vet who is well respected and can make others better. If we want the defense to get better as a whole, don’t you want someone who can glue it all together? Young does that. He’s one of the biggest reasons the Pacers were so good this season. He was the vet voice who everyone looked to and he held the defense together. He’s a Swiss Army knife.

No, you definitely didn't say that - I am just curious your thinking and appreciate your perspective. Hope you don't mind the questions.

And I think you have hit the nail on the head that this team needs to improve on the defensive end to take the next step. I was thinking more of a C to complement Bagley and shore up our defensive rebounding and rim protection - hence the question - were you thinking of moving him to C.

One thing I did discovery from researching Young (kudos to you) is that he was an absolute monster on the defensive end of the court in the playoffs - that is huge in my book. I am going to go back and watch those playoff games.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by kalenclayton » Fri May 31, 2019 6:20 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

No, you definitely didn't say that - I am just curious your thinking and appreciate your perspective. Hope you don't mind the questions.

And I think you have hit the nail on the head that this team needs to improve on the defensive end to take the next step. I was thinking more of a C to complement Bagley and shore up our defensive rebounding and rim protection - hence the question - were you thinking of moving him to C.

One thing I did discovery from researching Young (kudos to you) is that he was an absolute monster on the defensive end of the court in the playoffs - that is huge in my book. I am going to go back and watch those playoff games.

In regards to Bagley moving to C, I think it could be good for him. That being said, I’m not sure it’s the most ideal position for him at this point, but I want him being tested in every situation. I want to see him on the perimeter (Offense and defense) with a variety of players guarding him (not just bigs). He needs to know how to handle all players. Not just bigs. We want him as versatile as possible.

Adding Thad Young would still leave traditional rim protection out (big men and blocks), but the hope would be that Thad could mold the team to tether along with each other. That’s how defenses are supposed to work, but the Kings have lacked that for quite some time. Hopefully he could come in and help Walton direct where players are supposed to be with each movement. Currently, the team just focuses on who has the ball and not enough on the rest of the floor. We need someone who can quarterback the defense. The players need to sag and help correctly. My hope would be that Thad could begin the process of bringing it all together.

I’m not worried about rebounding with the group we are talking about. It should be improved over last year from a team standpoint. Each player is a decent to good rebounder from his position. Buddy and Harrison will be the ones who help the most. Bagley should be able to average 9-10 this season (hopefully even more).

This is all just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I know deep down that Thad Young would be a positive to this team (as well as any other team). He just might be too expensive for his age. I’d like to think he will age well, but athleticism wanes differently for each individual. We likely have to give him 3-4 years to get him from the Pacers.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by kalenclayton » Fri May 31, 2019 6:29 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I never said that, but sure. I only defended Young’s defense because the guy is seriously underrated. I think there are a few better targets for the Kings, but Young would absolutely improve the team. He’s low usage, stretches the floor (almost 35% from 3 last season), and plays fantastic team defense. He seems like a Vlade target because he’s a smart vet who is well respected and can make others better. If we want the defense to get better as a whole, don’t you want someone who can glue it all together? Young does that. He’s one of the biggest reasons the Pacers were so good this season. He was the vet voice who everyone looked to and he held the defense together. He’s a Swiss Army knife.

In regards to Bagley moving to C, I think it could be good for him. That being said, I’m not sure it’s the most ideal position for him at this point, but I want him being tested in every situation. I want to see him on the perimeter (Offense and defense) with a variety of players guarding him (not just bigs). He needs to know how to handle all players. Not just bigs. We want him as versatile as possible.

Adding Thad Young would still leave traditional rim protection out (big men and blocks), but the hope would be that Thad could mold the team to tether along with each other. That’s how defenses are supposed to work, but the Kings have lacked that for quite some time. Hopefully he could come in and help Walton direct where players are supposed to be with each movement. Currently, the team just focuses on who has the ball and not enough on the rest of the floor. We need someone who can quarterback the defense. The players need to sag and help correctly. My hope would be that Thad could begin the process of bringing it all together.

I’m not worried about rebounding with the group we are talking about. It should be improved over last year from a team standpoint. Each player is a decent to good rebounder from his position. Buddy and Harrison will be the ones who help the most. Bagley should be able to average 9-10 this season (hopefully even more).

This is all just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I know deep down that Thad Young would be a positive to this team (as well as any other team). He just might be too expensive for his age. I’d like to think he will age well, but athleticism wanes differently for each individual. We likely have to give him 3-4 years to get him from the Pacers.

This is just a fun video. It displays his all around game. The guy passes, plays d, fights for boards, hustles, and shoots.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#100 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:59 pm

You make a compelling case for Young. But maybe a rim protecting defensive rebounding C would have a bigger impact on this roster as it currently stands?

Return to Sacramento Kings