ImageImageImageImageImage

Dream Budget Conscious Lakers Roster

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Dream Budget Conscious Lakers Roster 

Post#1 » by tv24lakers » Tue May 28, 2019 1:36 am

Fantasizing of a Lakers roster that outwardly seems feasible and salary cap compliant, I have come with the following cast...

PG- Malcolm Brogdan, Lonzo Ball
SG- Bradley Beal, Josh Hart
SF- Lebron James, Kyle Kuzma
PF- JayMychal Green, Moritz Wagner
C - Dewayne Dedmon, Nerlins Noel

The first unit
> includes your All star duo LBJ & Beal accompanied by players that can stretch the floor.
> As he prefers, Lebron serves as the primary ball handler and facilitator
> Beal arrives via trade in exchange for Ingram, Bonga and the #4 and possibly a future first rounder.
> Brogdan, JayMychal and Dedmon are free agency pickups.

The second unit
> formulated to run and wear out the opponent with speed.
> Kuz coming off the bench encourages lending Lebron extended rest throughout the game.
> While Lonzo may not star I envision he still earns significant playing time (~30 minutes).
> Nerlens Noel will be our rim protector for moments when defense becomes more of priority.

Let me know your thoughts on the proposed roster as well your own “dream” roster - of course while set around realistic terms.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,034

Re: Dream Budget Conscious Lakers Roster 

Post#2 » by RamonSessions7 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:08 am

I’m good with current team + kawhi + decent filler thru exceptions or min signings. Then depending on how anyone feels the best use of 4+either Ingram or Kuzma for a obvious upgrade or better fits.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,659

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Tue May 28, 2019 2:11 am

I’d be very happy with Brogdon, but considering he’s restricted, id be concerned with the price tag it would require to get Milwaukee to let him go.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#4 » by tv24lakers » Tue May 28, 2019 2:29 am

RamonSessions7 wrote:I’m good with current team + kawhi + decent filler thru exceptions or min signings. Then depending on how anyone feels the best use of 4+either Ingram or Kuzma for a obvious upgrade or better fits.

Kawhi is hands down my favorite player in this year’s free agency market. I’m confident that a Kawhi/Lebron combo can carry us to the playoffs. However, with Kawhi’s penchant for privacy I question whether he would be onboard donning a Lakers uniform given all the media attention and scrutiny. Should he return to Cali, I foresee the Clippers or Sacramento being more up his alley.
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#5 » by tv24lakers » Tue May 28, 2019 2:39 am

dockingsched wrote:I’d be very happy with Brogdon, but considering he’s restricted, id be concerned with the price tag it would require to get Milwaukee to let him go.

I share your concerns. I don’t see him coming by on the cheap knowing Milwaukee can match. Going into next season Milwaukee will need to weigh out resigning and or replacing Brogdan, Middleton, Mirotic and Brook Lopez among others.

What do you think is a reasonable offer for Brogdan? $9m?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,966

Post#6 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:16 am

tv24lakers wrote:
dockingsched wrote:I’d be very happy with Brogdon, but considering he’s restricted, id be concerned with the price tag it would require to get Milwaukee to let him go.

I share your concerns. I don’t see him coming by on the cheap knowing Milwaukee can match. Going into next season Milwaukee will need to weigh out resigning and or replacing Brogdan, Middleton, Mirotic and Brook Lopez among others.

$18m is what they gave bledsoe and brogdon outperformed him in the playoffs quite.notably.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#7 » by tv24lakers » Tue May 28, 2019 6:59 am

zimpy27 wrote:
$18m is what they gave bledsoe and brogdon outperformed him in the playoffs quite.notably.

Good point. Yes, I believe Bledsoe signed a 5 yr $70m contract. I could be mistaken, but it would surprise me if Milwaukee gives Brogdan something comparable or better considering they’re also looking to lock up Middleton. Thats not to say that Brogdan isn’t worthy of it.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#8 » by TKainZero » Tue May 28, 2019 9:22 am

tv24lakers wrote:

9m for brogdon!
Are you serious!

Have you watched the nba?
Dude is gonna get a max offer from someone.

Shot 50/40/90
Former rookie of the year.
Elite defense. Can guard anyone.
And great 3 point shooter!

Someone is going to offer at least 100m/4years

9m for brogdon is like as insulting as what Orlando offered Shaq

I’m literally flabbergasted at the 9m figure
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#9 » by Ball so hard » Tue May 28, 2019 1:17 pm

TKainZero wrote:
tv24lakers wrote:

9m for brogdon!
Are you serious!

Shot 50/40/90

Agree. Besides 9m being an insult, Mil would easily match that figure. I love Brogdon's game and I do think someone will offer him 15m+ per year... not sure what his max is.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,966

Post#10 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:49 pm

tv24lakers wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Good point. Yes, I believe Bledsoe signed a 5 yr $70m contract. I could be mistaken, but it would surprise me if Milwaukee gives Brogdan something comparable or better considering they’re also looking to lock up Middleton. Thats not to say that Brogdan isn’t worthy of it.

Brogdon should get more. I'm think 20m a year, maybe up to 25m if a team wants to poach him from the bucks.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#11 » by tamaraw08 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:51 pm

Ball so hard wrote:
TKainZero wrote:
tv24lakers wrote:

9m for brogdon!
Are you serious!

Shot 50/40/90

Agree. Besides 9m being an insult, Mil would easily match that figure. I love Brogdon's game and I do think someone will offer him 15m+ per year... not sure what his max is.

Moving forward who are the realistic alternatives? What should be the budget be for a PG who can defend and hit the 3pt shot? and there's not a lot of alternatives.
How much would Beverley demand?
I am so sick and tired to seeing Lonzo miss so many games, if he is not missing games, he is missing 70% of his 3pt shots and 60% of his FTs. Seth Curry can definitely shoot but he's not a real PG and his defense is not great. Should Lebron be the facilitator when Lonzo sits?
Darren Collison is a decent defender and an accurate shooter but he is very selective with his 3pt shots, less than 4/game. He took in a huge 10 Mil but just one year.I don't think he'll want another 1 year deal and he grew up in Rancho Cucamonga California so he might give a discount but for multiple years.
What about ? Cory Joseph? pls pass on Rose, IT, Ish Smith and Jeremy Lin etc.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#12 » by tamaraw08 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:01 pm

tv24lakers wrote:Fantasizing of a Lakers roster that outwardly seems feasible and salary cap compliant, I have come with the following cast...

The first unit
> includes your All star duo LBJ & Beal accompanied by players that can stretch the floor.
> As he prefers, Lebron serves as the primary ball handler and facilitator
> Beal arrives via trade in exchange for Ingram, Bonga and the #4 and possibly a future first rounder.
> Brogdan, JayMychal and Dedmon are free agency pickups.

Let me know your thoughts on the proposed roster as well your own “dream” roster - of course while set around realistic terms.

Ideally for me is to simply sign Kyrie, he's a perfect fit next to Lebron and boost the very awful 3pt shooting this team badly needs but I understand the difficulty of having to deal with uncertainty like Irving just sighing elsewhere and the Lakers "settles" for a bad fit free agent. I have reservations on Jimmy Butler bec he is not really a shooter/floor spacer. Same with Kemba who is too streaky for my liking. Again for me, the key would be Kobe and Lebron making it a mission to convince Kyrie to come here. If he's not,I would pursue Beal but would not give up both BI and Kuzma.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#13 » by iamworthy » Tue May 28, 2019 3:41 pm

If the bucks wanted to trade brogdon to get more depth I assume the team he's going to wouldn't take the deal unless is agreed to an extension?
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#14 » by tv24lakers » Tue May 28, 2019 4:21 pm

TKainZero wrote:
tv24lakers wrote:

9m for brogdon!
Are you serious!

Shot 50/40/90

To clarify I was considering $9 mil as the starting year which grows incrementally year over year. I’m fairly knowledgeable of Brogdon’s strengths & weakness. If you honestly think he’s an elite defender you may want to rewatch his regular season games. His defense is average at best. He’s with out question an elite shooter. Do I think he’s on the level of Klay (a max talent)? No.

Is there a possibility someone offers him $20 mil a year. Certainly but I’m not interested in what would be in an inflated salary.

Btw Brogdan’s Rookie of the Year win as relevant as Michael Carter Williams.
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#15 » by tv24lakers » Tue May 28, 2019 4:36 pm

I found the following on Bleacher Report:

“Malcolm Brogdon is already eligible for an extension worth up to $47.5 million over four years, but ESPN's Zach Lowe thinks he'll turn down that deal if the Milwaukee Bucks offer it: "Brogdon is represented by the legendary agent David Falk. Check Falk's track record on extensions, and there is no conclusion other than he would happily take Brogdon into restricted free agency."

Milwaukee will still be in a good position with its combo guard, as it'll be able to match any offer sheet Brogdon signs with another team. The downside: Someone might blow away the cap-strapped Bucks with an offer far too large to match.

With every starter other than Giannis Antetokounmpo slated for free agency in 2019 (Khris Middleton will surely decline the final year and $13 million of his deal to hit the unrestricted market), the Bucks probably won't prioritize Brogdon (who will be 26) too highly. He's a quality starter, but Middleton, Bledsoe and even Brook Lopez figure to get more attention.

Brogdon's cap hold this summer will only be $1.9 million, so the Bucks can comfortably address their other concerns first. Still, it's difficult to see a big offer coming Brogdon's way in free agency from a Milwaukee team that has long been loath to pay the tax. Then again, if Antetokounmpo intimates he'd consider leaving if the Bucks don't spend to stay competitive, that calculus could change.

Prediction: Brogdon signs a four-year, $64 million deal with the Indiana Pacers. Milwaukee doesn't match, and the Donte DiVincenzo era commences in earnest.“

What are your thoughts if we made a progressive offer of 4 yr $64 m to Brogdon? Would we be able to get him at $12m for the first year building up to $64?
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#16 » by tv24lakers » Fri May 31, 2019 4:14 am

I would take this roster, healthy with 1 season to gel against the Warriors. Uncertain if we can truly swing getting Brogdon for a reasonable amt (4yr/64); refer to previously referenced Bleacher report article.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#17 » by TheHartBreakKid » Fri May 31, 2019 11:12 pm

Kyrie/Caruso/best shooter available (room exception)
Lonzo/ hart
Ingram/lebron
Lebron/kuz
Mo Bomba/ Wagner/ Noels

Should be possible financially.

We sign kyrie and trade 4th pick for Bamba

kyrie is obvious, so I’ll just explain the trade.

If we sign kyrie, none of the guards and scorers in our pick range would be worth drafting, and getting an impact player via trade would be difficult without adding our youngsters to match salary.

By trading for bamba, who had a very impressive rookie year considering his minutes and role, has a ton of upside and should be ready to make an impact immediately, vs the only attractive big prospect on this draft which is Bol.

Orlando desperately needs scoring/playmaking and if they retain vucevic for big money There simply isn’t enough minutes for bamba to get the minutes that he should deserve next year and moving forward.

I seriously think that team can win a championship and still has a lot of upside.

You have a solid bench with kuz leading the way.. improved spacing with Kyrie and even bamba in comparison to McGee... and multiple capable playmakers.

Depth can easily be addressed with ring chasers.
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#18 » by tv24lakers » Mon Jun 3, 2019 3:42 am

TheHartBreakKid wrote:Kyrie/Caruso/best shooter available (room exception)
Lonzo/ hart
Ingram/lebron
Lebron/kuz
Mo Bomba/ Wagner/ Noels

Should be possible financially.

We sign kyrie and trade 4th pick for Bamba

kyrie is obvious, so I’ll just explain the trade.

If we sign kyrie, none of the guards and scorers in our pick range would be worth drafting, and getting an impact player via trade would be difficult without adding our youngsters to match salary.

By trading for bamba, who had a very impressive rookie year considering his minutes and role, has a ton of upside and should be ready to make an impact immediately, vs the only attractive big prospect on this draft which is Bol.

Orlando desperately needs scoring/playmaking and if they retain vucevic for big money There simply isn’t enough minutes for bamba to get the minutes that he should deserve next year and moving forward.

I seriously think that team can win a championship and still has a lot of upside.

You have a solid bench with kuz leading the way.. improved spacing with Kyrie and even bamba in comparison to McGee... and multiple capable playmakers.

Depth can easily be addressed with ring chasers.

What would you like to see if we’re unsuccessful in signing one of the big name free agents?

Admittedly the following may be out there given his health track and shooting woos. Simply curious, what is the market rate for Rubio? Considering alternatives should we trade Zo.
Japago
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#19 » by Japago » Mon Jun 3, 2019 9:59 pm

I think it would take more than that to get Beal. But, I think it would still be a pretty good deal if they got to keep one of Ball, Kuzma, or Ingram.

LeBron, Beal, and one of the young core plus cap space to fill out the rest of the team would make for a really good team. If the core guy the Lakers keep has a great year and supporting cast adequately supports those 3, that's a title contender. There may not be a team with 2 true superstars next season if KD leaves Golden State.
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#20 » by tv24lakers » Mon Jun 3, 2019 11:24 pm

Japago wrote:I think it would take more than that to get Beal. But, I think it would still be a pretty good deal if they got to keep one of Ball, Kuzma, or Ingram.

LeBron, Beal, and one of the young core plus cap space to fill out the rest of the team would make for a really good team. If the core guy the Lakers keep has a great year and supporting cast adequately supports those 3, that's a title contender. There may not be a team with 2 true superstars next season if KD leaves Golden State.

Agreed. It’s hard for me to imagine that Beal would be up for a trade if it weren’t for Walls sky rocketing salary.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers