Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Re: RJ Barrett 

Post#801 » by DowNY » Thu May 16, 2019 12:54 am

Coeur wrote:
Upperclass wrote:I actually think RJ is headed to Memphis at #2. Its the best possible fit for his talent and upside..

YEAH I think it’s a lot closer than people think. Ja #2 made so much sense for the suns we just got used to seeing those lines

Barrett is really interesting. I think there might be teams that play him as pg. and that may be his best fit. Not the same player but Jamal Murray is so much better because of being used as a pg than I think he’d be right now at sg

Read on Twitter
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Post#802 » by madmaxmedia » Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Crives wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Zion says high.

But really, how does Barret compare to Simmons? Athleticism, handles, passing..

Simmons is the better athlete, has better handle and is the better passer. They are very different kind of players. I would give RJ the edge in jumper, versatility of scoring and his intensity.

I hope so! :lol:
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#803 » by Marty McFly » Fri May 17, 2019 6:10 pm

shi-woo wrote:Rj is going to be another great example of how a player improves in an environment with more space and illegal defense.

I don't see James Harden, but I think RJ can come out with a Tyreke type of rookie year

Sent from my D6708 using RealGM mobile app

Reke had a better rookie season than harden did.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#804 » by PerkinsFor3 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:57 am

Heh, statistically (incl advanced) the players closest to him are guys like Bonzi, Trenton Hassell, Reggie Williams and Brian Evans, when taking into account his size. Bonzi seems to be a pretty realistic floor for RJ, right?
JamesDolan
Junior
And1: 231

Post#805 » by JamesDolan » Thu May 23, 2019 12:27 pm

RJ going to be a super star in the NBA. Watch and see, people slept on Luka last year and this year it's RJ

Like all freshman he needs to work on his shooting still, once he gets that down? Watch the fireworks.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using RealGM mobile app
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#806 » by DrCoach » Fri May 24, 2019 3:49 am

RJ reminds me of a lefty Kobe
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#807 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 3:53 am

Read on Twitter
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,584

Post#808 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 4:06 am

clyde21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would buy the Harden comparisons if there wasn't such a drastic difference in efficiency.

Freshman year shooting splits

Harden: 52/40/75 (63 TS%)
RJ: 45/30/66 (53 TS%)

Im not denying he shouldn't be in play for the #2 pick. I don't buy Ja being the no doubt #2 guy in this draft. But how a far less efficient Harden isn't the most enticing prospect in my opinion. I still think Tyreke Evans might be the best comparison. To me similar size, athleticism and skill set. You tell me to try and imagine Tyreke Evans with a Kobe mindset, I kind of think of RJ.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#809 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 4:21 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would buy the Harden comparisons if there wasn't such a drastic difference in efficiency.

Im not denying he shouldn't be in play for the #2 pick. I don't buy Ja being the no doubt #2 guy in this draft. But how a far less efficient Harden isn't the most enticing prospect in my opinion. I still think Tyreke Evans might be the best comparison. To me similar size, athleticism and skill set. You tell me to try and imagine Tyreke Evans with a Kobe mindset, I kind of think of RJ.

yea, the efficiency is an issue, I don't think RJ is ever gonna be an efficiency monster at the NBA level by any stretch, but also I think he's a bit better than he showed at Duke...just wasn't a great fit with him. I've mentioned this before, but his FG %s actually went up during that stretch Zion got hurt.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#810 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 4:46 am

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

yea, the efficiency is an issue, I don't think RJ is ever gonna be an efficiency monster at the NBA level by any stretch, but also I think he's a bit better than he showed at Duke...just wasn't a great fit with him. I've mentioned this before, but his FG %s actually went up during that stretch Zion got hurt.

I think RJ definitely took a hit just like Zion did because he just like Zion had 0 room to breathe when he tried to attack the basket. So I definitely think with more room to breathe he should be more effective attacking the basket. His FG% did go up without Zion, but his overall efficiency was still an issue, 23% from 3 and 57% from the line. But ya he did see a 10% boost from 53% to 63% inside the arc. I think he can be a 56-58 TS% type of guy.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#811 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 4:49 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I think RJ definitely took a hit just like Zion did because he just like Zion had 0 room to breathe when he tried to attack the basket. So I definitely think with more room to breathe he should be more effective attacking the basket. His FG% did go up without Zion, but his overall efficiency was still an issue, 23% from 3 and 57% from the line. But ya he did see a 10% boost from 53% to 63% inside the arc. I think he can be a 56-58 TS% type of guy.

completely agree there, he's a 20+ ppg scorer on ~56 TS efficiency in the NBA which is good, add in the rebounding and his ability as a secondary ball handler and I don't see how he's not an all-star at some point in the near future
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#812 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 4:55 am

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

completely agree there, he's a 20+ ppg scorer on ~56 TS efficiency in the NBA which is good, add in the rebounding and his ability as a secondary ball handler and I don't see how he's not an all-star at some point in the near future

Ya I really do think Tyreke in Memphis could easily be RJ if he gets his jumper together. 19/5/5 on 56 TS% was Tyreke last year. I think Tyreke mixed with DeMar (or just a more aggressive Tyreke) is what RJ can be.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#813 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 5:03 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ya I really do think Tyreke in Memphis could easily be RJ if he gets his jumper together. 19/5/5 on 56 TS% was Tyreke last year. I think Tyreke mixed with DeMar (or just a more aggressive Tyreke) is what RJ can be.

yup, that's a really good comp mix.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#814 » by King Ken » Sun Jun 2, 2019 5:16 am

Tyreke Evans had a great skill set but his BBIQ was always underwhelming. R.J. is a smart player, can be selfish at times but he is smart.

Put me on the list of guys who love Barrett.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#815 » by drosereturn » Sun Jun 2, 2019 6:52 am

King Ken wrote:Tyreke Evans had a great skill set but his BBIQ was always underwhelming. R.J. is a smart player, can be selfish at times but he is smart.

Put me on the list of guys who love Barrett.

His floor is Tyreke. Better length, build type, more potent scorer, better shooter. And his passion for basketball rivals Westbrook.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
clyde21
RealGM

Post#816 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 7:39 am

tyreke would've been really good had he really loved bball and dedicated himself...just doesnt/didnt have the Dog in him that RJ has

also tyreke unfortunately has some real off court issues that probably stunted his growth in the NBA
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#817 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Jun 2, 2019 8:27 am

clyde21 wrote:tyreke would've been really good had he really loved bball and dedicated himself...just doesnt/didnt have the Dog in him that RJ has

also tyreke unfortunately has some real off court issues that probably stunted his growth in the NBA

Yeah people are saying Tyreke like it’s an insult but he was really good at the start of his career.

That wouldn’t be a bad outcome at all especially with Barrets seemingly superior intangibles like you mentioned
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#818 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 8:47 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
clyde21 wrote:tyreke would've been really good had he really loved bball and dedicated himself...just doesnt/didnt have the Dog in him that RJ has

Yeah people are saying Tyreke like it’s an insult but he was really good at the start of his career.

That wouldn’t be a bad outcome at all especially with Barrets seemingly superior intangibles like you mentioned

Ya when I say Tyreke I don't mean that in a negative. Tyreke was ROY in a stacked class. Also Memphis Tyreke in the East with slightly higher usage is an all star pretty easily.

I think if Tyreke had the drive we would've seen a lot more consistent seasons like his rookie year and his year in Memphis. I think RJ has that drive.

I'm not saying this is RJ's floor or ceiling. I just think that it is a pretty reasonable expectation. I don't see a superstar franchise guy, but could see a multi all star wing.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#819 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Jun 2, 2019 8:53 am

:wink: is
Duke4life831 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Ya when I say Tyreke I don't mean that in a negative. Tyreke was ROY in a stacked class. Also Memphis Tyreke in the East with slightly higher usage is an all star pretty easily.

I think if Tyreke had the drive we would've seen a lot more consistent seasons like his rookie year and his year in Memphis. I think RJ has that drive.

I'm not saying this is RJ's floor or ceiling. I just think that it is a pretty reasonable expectation. I don't see a superstar franchise guy, but could see a multi all star wing.

Yeah I agree with you there. Not a fan of one player comps personally but I agree with your thinking behind it.

But honestly in this draft I think Zion is the only one with superstar potential.

RJ I see more as being a top 20-30 type player as his ceiling which is still really good but not a superstar
Cdub2k
Ballboy
And1: 43

Post#820 » by Cdub2k » Sun Jun 2, 2019 9:13 am

clyde21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's gotta be able to master the art of flopping in order to come anywhere close to James Harden's success.

Return to NBA Draft