Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Offer sheet Russell? 

Post#1 » by Grang33r » Fri May 31, 2019 5:20 am

[tweet]
Read on Twitter

[/tweet]

I don't see why the Nets wouldn't match, but what are your thoughts on this?
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,233

Re: Offer sheet Russell? 

Post#2 » by boomershadow » Fri May 31, 2019 12:26 pm

I would really like Russell. It seems like it would be a fairly dynamic pairing with Oladipo. I also like that we're going after some big names that we might not have tried for in years past or in the Bird era.

But I think he'll have potential offers from a number of teams, and the Nets will likely match no matter where he signs, so I don't think i'll get my hopes set on it.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 31, 2019 1:00 pm

I’d be ok with it. Russell is one of those guys who produces well when given more minutes, and kind of plays well both on and off ball in stretches. Plus, a max to him is a 4 year offer at 25% of the cap, so it’s workable.

But it’s also Gambo reporting that out of Phoenix and he’s essentially a drive time shock jock reporter. Think of him as the Phoenix Dan Dakich.
pacers70
Junior
And1: 69

Post#4 » by pacers70 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 pm

I like Russell. He has size and can play with the ball or off the ball. A Russell/Oladipo back court would have decent size. 6'5" with a 6'8" wingspan and 6'4" with 6'9" wingspan. They would be interchangeable defensively and both have enough size to guard SFs.

Unfortunately, even if Russell wanted to come here, it would be tough to gt him. I think the only way the Nets don't re-sign him is if they get 2 Free Agents coming in...like the rumor that Durant and Irving are going there.

Instead of tying up money on Russell early in Free Agency, I would rather try for an UFA like Harris or Kemba. If they reject us, then I would be willing to try for Russell.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#5 » by Wizop » Fri May 31, 2019 1:30 pm

I don't see us throwing max money at a point guard. any point guard. Holiday should get more minutes. CoJo or DC can be brought back to allow Holiday to ease in (or not). also the draft may give us a guard. I see the questions as what will happen with Boggie and Thad. how much will it take to keep them? if the prices are high, are there better options?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#6 » by Jake0890 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:18 am

I'm really not sure I buy it at a max price tag. I think Middleton and Klay make a lot of sense, Russell less so unless we really aren't sure about Holiday.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:07 am

Jake0890 wrote:I'm really not sure I buy it at a max price tag. I think Middleton and Klay make a lot of sense, Russell less so unless we really aren't sure about Holiday.

I mean, a killer wing like Klay would be a dream scenario. I just don’t picture GSW letting him leave, nor him leaving California at all with both LA teams having max cap space. He’s talked often about the ocean being his happy place, and well, yeah.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#8 » by Moooose » Sat Jun 1, 2019 8:11 am

As much as I wanted Kemba, I too think we are not going for a max point guard. I'd rather have us sign a good PF who can augment Myles' and Domas' weaknesses and a scoring wing off the bench.

Sumner is poised for a bump in minutes and I think he could spend some time at the point too just like what Tyreke's role was.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#9 » by boomershadow » Sat Jun 1, 2019 11:02 am

I've been on the Kemba bandwagon lately because I think he's a more realistic possibility than some of the others, but I also think i'd prefer Russell given his age, potential ceiling, and skillset over many of the other free agents out there. Despite being less optimistic about getting him.

If the rumors about Nets and Kyrie are true though, Russell might be more of a possibility.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:04 pm

during last year's draft as our pick approached, I texted a friend "anyone but Holiday." he's exceeded my expectations. I don't see us spending big bucks to put somebody ahead of him. the market should set prices for DC and CoJo and if we can keep one at McDermott level money, I think we will.

Sent from my phone.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#11 » by boomershadow » Sat Jun 1, 2019 9:51 pm

Wizop wrote:during last year's draft as our pick approached, I texted a friend "anyone but Holiday." he's exceeded my expectations. I don't see us spending big bucks to put somebody ahead of him. the market should set prices for DC and CoJo and if we can keep one at McDermott level money, I think we will.

Sent from my phone.

I don't really see him going from out of the main rotation to being a starter in one summer, though, do you?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 1, 2019 10:04 pm

boomershadow wrote:I don't really see [Holiday] going from out of the main rotation to being a starter in one summer, though, do you?

no, but I see the 2nd unit point guard spot as his to lose. I see us trying to bring CoJo (or DC) back as the starter for a year with the hope that Holiday can move up further in his 3rd year. I do not see us bringing in a Russell/Walker type that would block Holiday long term and screw up our cap situation.

I see the trouble spot as the 3. if we lose Bogie, we don't have a replacement on the roster unless you think Doug is a transition to Alize or our 2019 draft pick. even with Bogie, he's much older than Vic/Turner/Sabonis so we need an up and comer behind him.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,325

Post#13 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Jun 1, 2019 10:29 pm

Grang33r wrote:[tweet]
Read on Twitter

[/tweet]

I don't see why the Nets wouldn't match, but what are your thoughts on this?

If Kyrie is successful in enticing Durant to go with him to Brooklyn, the Nets will have to pass on re-signing D-Lo and would actually have to find a team willing to take on Allen Crabbe’s expiring contract.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 5:59 am

boomershadow wrote:I've been on the Kemba bandwagon lately because I think he's a more realistic possibility than some of the others, but I also think i'd prefer Russell given his age, potential ceiling, and skillset over many of the other free agents out there. Despite being less optimistic about getting him.

If the rumors about Nets and Kyrie are true though, Russell might be more of a possibility.

If Charlotto offers him the SuperMax Kemba is gonna be a Hornet. I personally think it would be insane, I'd let him walk before giving him that. As for him coming here No chance we'd be crazy to give him $31 million a year for 4 years.

Russell I'm ok with, I also like Brogdan but both are RFA's. The think that might happen with Russell is if the Nets get Kyrie Irving, then they might let Russell go or try to work an S&T.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#15 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 6:01 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:I'm really not sure I buy it at a max price tag. I think Middleton and Klay make a lot of sense, Russell less so unless we really aren't sure about Holiday.

I mean, a killer wing like Klay would be a dream scenario. I just don’t picture GSW letting him leave, nor him leaving California at all with both LA teams having max cap space. He’s talked often about the ocean being his happy place, and well, yeah.

Anyone thinking we have a chance to sign Klay Thompson is kinda like asking the hottest chick if she's sleep with you if it's the end of the world and you're the last 2 people on earth, she says "Yes" so you say, "at least I still have a chance." :lol:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#16 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 6:07 am

Our opportunities to get a big time point guard right not are slim to none. I'd put the odds that we bring back DC or Cory at 80%, maybe even both of them depending on FA goes.

I still feel like we should use the cap space to acquire picks, I think there are a couple of teams that would give up picks to get money off their books.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 2, 2019 1:16 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Our opportunities to get a big time point guard right not are slim to none. I'd put the odds that we bring back DC or Cory at 80%, maybe even both of them depending on FA goes.

I still feel like we should use the cap space to acquire picks, I think there are a couple of teams that would give up picks to get money off their books.
agree on point guards.

Boston has more picks than they can use but would they help a team in the East? would you give up a future pick for an extra this year? I'm dubious.

Sent from my phone.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#18 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:40 am

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Our opportunities to get a big time point guard right not are slim to none. I'd put the odds that we bring back DC or Cory at 80%, maybe even both of them depending on FA goes.

agree on point guards.

Boston has more picks than they can use but would they help a team in the East? would you give up a future pick for an extra this year? I'm dubious.

Sent from my phone.

I might give a #1 to get a guy I want. I'd say Boston might give a #1 if they decide that Hayward isn't in their future plans. There is the possibility as was mentioned that Kyrie might end up in Brooklyn, I can't see how they could match an offer of $25 million or so to Russell if they just gave $34 million to Kyrie. They'd likely be looking at sign and trades for him. But why do that if we can sign him outright? Maybe if we want to get out of Dougie's contract but I don't see it as a bad deal.

As for guys in this draft I like Rui Hachimura for 2 reasons, one is his athleticism that he would bring to the SF spot, he's played in a big time college program and could be ready to contribute right away. Second is that he's from Japan and could bring a lot of new fans to the Pacers in Japan the way Yao Ming did for the Rockets in China. IDK how popular the NBA is in Japan, but I think Hachimura would be the first Japanese player in the league.

There are some big guys that I like if we don't intend to bring back Thad, Jaxson Hayse, Nicolas Claxton and Daniel Gafford. Teams that might give up their pick to get out of contracts I'd say Portland, Miami, Boston, Philly and OKC. Some higher up might swap picks to shed money. But we won't know for a few more days.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#19 » by MUpacersSIC » Tue Jun 4, 2019 1:05 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

agree on point guards.

Sent from my phone.

I might give a #1 to get a guy I want. I'd say Boston might give a #1 if they decide that Hayward isn't in their future plans. There is the possibility as was mentioned that Kyrie might end up in Brooklyn, I can't see how they could match an offer of $25 million or so to Russell if they just gave $34 million to Kyrie. They'd likely be looking at sign and trades for him. But why do that if we can sign him outright? Maybe if we want to get out of Dougie's contract but I don't see it as a bad deal.

As for guys in this draft I like Rui Hachimura for 2 reasons, one is his athleticism that he would bring to the SF spot, he's played in a big time college program and could be ready to contribute right away. Second is that he's from Japan and could bring a lot of new fans to the Pacers in Japan the way Yao Ming did for the Rockets in China. IDK how popular the NBA is in Japan, but I think Hachimura would be the first Japanese player in the league.

There are some big guys that I like if we don't intend to bring back Thad, Jaxson Hayse, Nicolas Claxton and Daniel Gafford. Teams that might give up their pick to get out of contracts I'd say Portland, Miami, Boston, Philly and OKC. Some higher up might swap picks to shed money. But we won't know for a few more days.

Hatchimura is definitely not a SF.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 4, 2019 1:16 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:As for guys in this draft I like Rui Hachimura for 2 reasons, one is his athleticism that he would bring to the SF spot, he's played in a big time college program and could be ready to contribute right away.

I think he's a 4. now his teammate Clarke might be a 3.

basketballwacko2 wrote:There are some big guys that I like if we don't intend to bring back Thad, Jaxson Hayse, Nicolas Claxton and Daniel Gafford.

and those guys strike me as 5's. I want a 3/4 not a 4/5. I'd prefer a 2/3 to a 4/5.

I like Porter, Williams, Washington, Clarke, Johnson, Okpala, & Thybulle in no particular order.

Return to Indiana Pacers