ImageImage

Marc Gasol in the NBA Finals

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,788

Marc Gasol in the NBA Finals 

Post#1 » by RoyceDa59 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:55 pm

I expect you all to be out on Beale street Thursday night cheering on your boy! :D We need all the help we can get.

If we win ya'll can head to Wild Bill's for the after party.

Much love from the North.
Go Raps!!
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,788

Re: Marc Gasol in the NBA Finals 

Post#2 » by RoyceDa59 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:02 pm

HUGE GAME 1 FOR THE BIG SPANIARD!
Go Raps!!
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#3 » by BarbaGrizz » Fri May 31, 2019 5:02 pm

We The South!
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 3:16 am

BarbaGrizz wrote:We The South!

Potential for a new mantra.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:55 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:HUGE GAME 1 FOR THE BIG SPANIARD!

Good game by Gasol.

In years past, Casey would go after GS with high usage for Lowry & Derozan trying to out GS, GS. Good to see Nurse attack Green & their lack of size in the post.

Pascal was the Raptors top performer taking it at Green in the post He put up 32 / 8 / 5 on 14 of 17 shot attempts for 26 paint points on great efficiency. (2-3), from 3.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 10:01 pm

Whole Truth wrote:

Good game by Gasol.

In years past, Casey would go after GS with high usage for Lowry & Derozan trying to out GS, GS. Good to see Nurse attack Green & their lack of size in the post.

Pascal was the Raptors top performer taking it at Green in the post He put up 32 / 8 / 5 on 14 of 17 shot attempts for 26 paint points on great efficiency. (2-3), from 3.

GS has this supreme charm that lures other teams into wanted to compete with them from the perimeter. Teams tend to forget that they are weak down low and need to focus on the point of attack. Toronto did that in GM 1. If they want to win the series tonight, they need to make the Warriors pay against. Otherwise, the Warriors may have taken this like a major punch in the mouth and will repond like something fierce.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 12:10 am

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Good game by Gasol.

GS has this supreme charm that lures other teams into wanted to compete with them from the perimeter. Teams tend to forget that they are weak down low and ned to focus on the point of attack. Toronto did that in GM 1. If they want to win the series tonight, they need to make the Warriors pay against. Otherwise, the Warriors may have taken this like a major punch in the mouth and will reponse like something fierce.

IDK SD, I know it was one game but Warriors didn't look at any point like they could win without KD.

Cousins looks a shell of his former self. GS couldn't successfully counter ...
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 12:11 am

As I say that, Cousins getting the start.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 1:18 am

Gasol has actually been able to really hurt GS in the past (granted it was in the regular season). I don't know if you guys remember when him and basically a bunch of G league guys were able to beat them a year and half or so ago. When he is on, they don't have anyone other than Cousins who can really match up/body him up. He also is holding his own fairly well on the perimeter for a big especially since he isn't the quickest most athletic center. Dude is just so smart on that end.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 3:41 am

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Good game by Gasol.

GS has this supreme charm that lures other teams into wanted to compete with them from the perimeter. Teams tend to forget that they are weak down low and ned to focus on the point of attack. Toronto did that in GM 1. If they want to win the series tonight, they need to make the Warriors pay against. Otherwise, the Warriors may have taken this like a major punch in the mouth and will reponse like something fierce.

IDK SD, I know it was one game but Warriors didn't look at any point like they could win without KD.

I think ppl tend to forget that this is a team who once won their first title without KD on the team. That team was consider underestimated and dangerous because no one saw them coming. When KD was added on to the Warriors and won two titles, they became armed and dangerous. Now that the media narrative has some of the world thinking they can't win without KD, the Warriors now have to prove themselves once again by winning without KD playing on the floor as a Warrior this time. If they win the series, they would prove to the world how extremely dangerous they can be. Especially if they become a mash unit doing so.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 5:03 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I think ppl tend to forget that this is a team who once won their first title without KD on the team. That team was consider underestimated and dangerous because no one saw them coming. When KD was added on to the Warriors and won two titles, they became armed and dangerous. Now that the media narrative has some of the world thinking they can't win without KD, the Warriors now have to prove themselves once again by winning without KD playing on the floor as a Warrior this time. If they win the series, they would prove to the world how extremely dangerous they can be. Especially if they become a mash unit doing so.

They had better depth back then, which was sacrificed to add Durant, who's not playing. While still very good, it's not the same KD less GS of years past.

Iggy is playing hurt, Loony & Thompson left the game early with injuries. GS won off the back of a broken down Cousins & the dusted corps of Bogut.

Hopefully Memphis are taking notes that the best small ball team had to play big to pull out this win ...
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 3:19 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

They had better depth back then, which was sacrificed to add Durant, who's not playing. While still very good, it's not the same KD less GS of years past.

Iggy is playing hurt, Loony & Thompson left the game early with injuries. GS won off the back of a broken down Cousins & the dusted corps of Bogut.

Hopefully Memphis are taking notes that the best small ball team had to play big to pull out this win ...

I have this series going to six games. I know theWarriors have become a walking Mash Unit. Imagine if this Mash Unit hobbles their way to the finish line against all odds. No KD, a recovering Cousins, an injured KT and Iggy and a Steph who looks to add the Finals MVP to his legacy againstthe media narrative that says this team can't win with KD. To be honest I rather they don't play KD just to shut the critics up.

The Warriors essential weakness is in the post. If I'm Toronto, I would exploit it like crazy like they did in game 1. They have to do a better job getting better shot selection and maintaining bench consistency if they stand the chance to battle back against the Warriors. Kyle Lowry cannot play stupid like he did the other night with the fouls. With the latest news of his injury now, I don't expect him to be a main factor to some degree. He will have to fight though it to provide some offense alongside Kawhi. Siakim and Marc will need to step up on the big stage. They can't have one big game and dissappear in the next one. If they wantto win it all, then like their logo the Raptor, they better claw their way in this fight because they have one on their hands with an experience championship contender in the Warriors.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 5, 2019 8:16 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I have this series going to six games. I know theWarriors have become a walking Mash Unit. Imagine if this Mash Unit hobbles their way to the finish line against all odds. No KD, a recovering Cousins, an injured KT and Iggy and a Steph who looks to add the Finals MVP to his legacy againstthe media narrative that says this team can't win with KD. To be honest I rather they don't play KD just to shut the critics up.

The Warriors essential weakness is in the post. If I'm Toronto, I would exploit it like crazy like they did in game 1. They have to do a better job getting better shot selection and maintaining bench consistency if they stand the chance to battle back against the Warriors. Kyle Lowry cannot play stupid like he did the other night with the fouls. With the latest news of his injury now, I don't expect him to be a main factor to some degree. He will have to fight though it to provide some offense alongside Kawhi. Siakim and Marc will need to step up on the big stage. They can't have one big game and dissappear in the next one. If they want to win it all, then like their logo the Raptor, they better claw their way in this fight because they have one on their hands with an experience championship contender in the Warriors.

This is why I've been a proponent of Memphis keeping Jonas to play big with Jaren. That front court versatility will play a huge factor in their ability to win games. The best small ball team picked up Cousins to counter & it panned out for them in game 2, despite Cousins not being 100.

That 18-0 3rd Q run, GS targeted Gasol on both ends. Raptors didn't score till Ibaka checked in at the 5min mark. Raptors went nearly 8 mins scoreless because GS made Gasol more of a prominent factor offensively by overhelping on key Raptors. Offensively, they ran their offense through Cousins to attack him with simple passes, that created gaps in the defense, which led to open shots, with no recovery.

An area of concern for GS is that Iggy was passing up some open looks, where Curry on several occasions had to bail him out with a far more difficult look. His dagger, he was able to pitch a tent. This is why Curry & GS were calling Raptors out for disrespecting him. Mental games, they need Raptors to respect his shot, though he was deferring for most of the game.

A big 3rd Q run & the game still came down to one possession. Warriors might win without KD but so far they have only looked the better team for one Q, in 2 games.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by SD2042 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:40 pm

A bit late, but congrats are in order for Marc Gasol as he and the Raptors have won their first NBA title in franchise history. For Canada, it's first one in basketball history as the creator of the sport James Naismith was born and raised in Canada.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#15 » by bobobolas10 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:00 am

RoyceDa59 wrote:I expect you all to be out on Beale street Thursday night cheering on your boy! :D We need all the help we can get.

If we win ya'll can head to Wild Bill's for the after party.

Much love from the North.

I got to admit the raptors were not on my list of teams that i was fond of. However, Marc is one of my favourite players and I love K.Leonard since the days he destroyed us in the playoffs. Add the fact that the warriors are the Villian of the nba. Easy to cheer for the raptors then! :lol: :lol:

Congratulations Marc. Needless to say we (grizz fans) appreciate the fact that you mentioned the organization and players and former grizzplayers.
"Take that for Data!"

Return to Memphis Grizzlies