76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,340

Re: Welcome Jimmy Butler 

Post#1481 » by 76ciology » Fri May 24, 2019 12:18 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

60% of the cap tied to a 34 year old lebron and a 30 year old butler is a good way to build a team.

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,174

Post#1482 » by AirP. » Fri May 24, 2019 1:41 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

60% of the cap tied to a 34 year old lebron and a 30 year old butler is a good way to build a team.

Their goal is to win Championships, not just 50ish wins in the regular season with players who have huge playoff type concerns with their games(Embiid health, Simmons no outside shot). They're trying to add proven difference makers in the playoffs, not sit back year by year hoping that in 2-4 years the team will be ready.

If Philly loses Butler, overpays to keep Harris, your top 3 long term players (doubt a top tier player will be willing to come in and be the 2nd or possibly the 3rd option in the offense) are locked in and you're 100% dependant on Simmons not only developing a shot, developing a good shot from the outside if this team wants to compete for a championship.

BTW... age isn't the only window in the NBA, health can be its own window too.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#1483 » by Sixerscan » Fri May 24, 2019 3:09 pm

AirP. wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Their goal is to win Championships, not just 50ish wins in the regular season with players who have huge playoff type concerns with their games(Embiid health, Simmons no outside shot). They're trying to add proven difference makers in the playoffs, not sit back year by year hoping that in 2-4 years the team will be ready.

If Philly loses Butler, overpays to keep Harris, your top 3 long term players (doubt a top tier player will be willing to come in and be the 2nd or possibly the 3rd option in the offense) are locked in and you're 100% dependant on Simmons not only developing a shot, developing a good shot from the outside if this team wants to compete for a championship.

Why do people say none of these guys want to be a 2nd option while in the same breath talking about how they are gonna go play with Lebron or Kyrie.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#1484 » by BullyKing » Fri May 24, 2019 3:14 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
AirP. wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:60% of the cap tied to a 34 year old lebron and a 30 year old butler is a good way to build a team.

Why do people say none of these guys want to be a 2nd option while in the same breath talking about how they are gonna go play with Lebron or Kyrie.

Because it's tough to maintain a constant sky is falling persona if you're willing to consider both sides of things.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1485 » by AirP. » Fri May 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
AirP. wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:60% of the cap tied to a 34 year old lebron and a 30 year old butler is a good way to build a team.

Butler is fine being the 2nd, 3rd option as he showed in the regular season this year and the start of his first year in Minnesota.

Also, LeBron is looking to handle the ball less during games to allow him more energy near the end of games.

Butler teaming up with Kyrie? It's been documented for years now that he's wanted to be his teammate.

That's why.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1486 » by Sixerscan » Fri May 24, 2019 3:25 pm

AirP. wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
AirP. wrote:Their goal is to win Championships, not just 50ish wins in the regular season with players who have huge playoff type concerns with their games(Embiid health, Simmons no outside shot). They're trying to add proven difference makers in the playoffs, not sit back year by year hoping that in 2-4 years the team will be ready.

Butler is fine being the 2nd, 3rd option as he showed in the regular season this year and the start of last year in Minnesota.

Also, LeBron is looking to handle the ball less during games to allow him more energy near the end of games.

Butler teaming up with Kyrie? It's been documented for years now that he's wanted to be his teammate.

That's why.

So why would he have an issue with that role here?

He said stuff about Kyrie years ago when he was trying to get traded, I can give you plenty of nice things he said about Embiid much more recently than that if you would like. I can also point you to a report that Butler apparently doesn’t want to play with James.

Butler is in a good situation with lots of great options. Sixers are one of those great options.
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#1487 » by fl311 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:33 pm

We will see if Jimmy was serious about wanting to win vs. playing in a city he prefers. Unless LA guts their team for AD, Jimmy going to play with Lebron does not make them a favorite or top 3 team out West.

Going to Clippers with Kawhi would be a better option, but who knows what Kawhi does if Raptors get to Finals.

Staying in Philly with Jo and Ben plus recruiting Tobias to stay or another top player gives him his best chance to win in a weaker East
mhunt
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#1488 » by mhunt » Fri May 24, 2019 3:35 pm

According to the national media, every free agent is going to sign with the Lakers.
Except for the ones who sign with the Knicks. :crazy:
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#1489 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri May 24, 2019 3:36 pm

I think our odds of keeping Jimmy increase if Kawhi stays in Toronto. I can't see Jimmy going to the Clippers alone.

I also can't see him wanting to play with someone like LeBron. Jimmy holds himself accountable, but I think he'd hate getting blamed for losing if they underachieve.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1490 » by AirP. » Fri May 24, 2019 3:46 pm

Sixerscan wrote:So why would he have an issue with that role here?

He said stuff about Kyrie years ago when he was trying to get traded, I can give you plenty of nice things he said about Embiid much more recently than that if you would like. I can also point you to a report that Butler apparently doesn’t want to play with James.

Butler is in a good situation with lots of great options. Sixers are one of those great options.

He went to Minnesota management less than 2 years ago to try to get him, the last offseason he tried to force himself out of Minnesota so no recruitment there, this season Irving wasn't getting traded so why say anything till the offseason(who knows if they've already talked this offseason)?

I guess you can just ignore it if you want but hopefully, he resigns in Philly but there's been enough in the Philly media to say they don't want to give him the contract to make him wary of staying at the max and having to hear that noise in the upcoming years. I like the Embiid/Butler combo, I think the right players around them is a strong championship contender for the next 4-5 years.

I get the not wanting to play with LeBron, but he eventually said no about the trade and resigning in Cleveland(from Chicago) not because of LeBron but because Kyrie didn't want to stay(some Cleveland players told Butler not to come, then Kyrie asked for a trade after Butler finally got moved to Minnesota, which happened to be one of the 5 destinations Kyrie listed in his trade demand). Also, seems like Kyrie better understands LeBron now after being in Boston.
Zander
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#1491 » by Zander » Fri May 24, 2019 5:17 pm

mhunt wrote:According to the national media, every free agent is going to sign with the Lakers.
Except for the ones who sign with the Knicks. :crazy:

Bingo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1492 » by Sixerscan » Fri May 24, 2019 5:39 pm

AirP. wrote:

He went to Minnesota management less than 2 years ago to try to get him, the last offseason he tried to force himself out of Minnesota so no recruitment there, this season Irving wasn't getting traded so why say anything till the offseason(who knows if they've already talked this offseason)?

I guess you can just ignore it if you want but hopefully, he resigns in Philly but there's been enough in the Philly media to say they don't want to give him the contract to make him wary of staying at the max and having to hear that noise in the upcoming years. I like the Embiid/Butler combo, I think the right players around them is a strong championship contender for the next 4-5 years.

I get the not wanting to play with LeBron, but he eventually said no about the trade and resigning in Cleveland(from Chicago) not because of LeBron but because Kyrie didn't want to stay(some Cleveland players told Butler not to come, then Kyrie asked for a trade after Butler finally got moved to Minnesota, which happened to be one of the 5 destinations Kyrie listed in his trade demand). Also, seems like Kyrie better understands LeBron now after being in Boston.

I’m not ignoring it, I’m just saying that theres so much information out there, and so much other information that directly contradicts that information, that someone can spin whatever theory they want.

How am I supposed to square Kyrie and Butler apparently wanting to play together over a year ago with the fact that Kyrie has seemingly made direct overtures to wanting to play with either Lebron in LA or Durant in NY much more recently than that? Oh and in between Kyrie told a bunch of Boston season ticket holders that he was staying and did a commercial with his dad about the Celtics retiring his number.

The fact is, none of us know what they’re gonna do, and so I’d appreciate if you didn’t act like we were oblivious for not taking your theory as gospel.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#1493 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm

fl311 wrote:We will see if Jimmy was serious about wanting to win vs. playing in a city he prefers. Unless LA guts their team for AD, Jimmy going to play with Lebron does not make them a favorite or top 3 team out West.

Going to Clippers with Kawhi would be a better option, but who knows what Kawhi does if Raptors get to Finals.

Staying in Philly with Jo and Ben plus recruiting Tobias to stay or another top player gives him his best chance to win in a weaker East

So it's basically Sixers, Clippers, and Lakers?

Anything on Tobias?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#1494 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat May 25, 2019 4:55 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:Tbh I'm alteady looking at potential replacements for Jimmy. If he stays then fine, If not then I won't exactly be devastated. I'll be good with either outcome. Taurean Prince via trade or Julius Randle In free agency are two names I'm looking at right now tbh. Both can get near 20 ppg, can hit threes, defend and can still improve.

Prince isn't a RFA until next off-season. Would you wait, or would you go ahead and try to pull off a draft day trade of some kind? Just curious.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#1495 » by James40 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
AirP. wrote:

I’m not ignoring it, I’m just saying that theres so much information out there, and so much other information that directly contradicts that information, that someone can spin whatever theory they want.

How am I supposed to square Kyrie and Butler apparently wanting to play together over a year ago with the fact that Kyrie has seemingly made direct overtures to wanting to play with either Lebron in LA or Durant in NY much more recently than that? Oh and in between Kyrie told a bunch of Boston season ticket holders that he was staying and did a commercial with his dad about the Celtics retiring his number.

The fact is, none of us know what they’re gonna do, and so I’d appreciate if you didn’t act like we were oblivious for not taking your theory as gospel.

I can’t see Jimmy being happy in LA, being 2nd to Lebron, or being happy with Kyrie chucking either.

Obviously championships are important to anyone, but for him and from where he was drafted to where’s he’s gotten through to this point on hard work, he might be happy taking a team on his back to the finals, not someone else’s. I bet he learned a lot from playing in Minny about himself and others.

He’s watching KAT with all that talent and height that he wasn’t blessed with, and all the athletic ability in Wiggins but yet they didn’t work for their’s like he did, and how hard he continually works on his game and body, and yet he couldn’t convince them to be the best they could be. Now he’s got that guy in Joel, and if fans can’t see it from the outside, I’m not sure what to say.

The Sixers will give him the Max and he’ll accept it. Case closed. Here’s the thing, the older you get the more crap you don’t want to deal with. In LA with LeBron and the nonsense that comes with him and his group, that doesn’t seem like a good fit for his personality and at this point in his life, he knows it.

Imagine Maverick Carter going to Jimmy after a game and telling him he should of passed to Lebron in that or this situation and to know his place on the team. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see Butler taking that advice to well.
Zander
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#1496 » by Zander » Tue May 28, 2019 1:44 am

Don't see Jimmy going to the Lakers.
fl311
Senior

Post#1497 » by fl311 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 3:02 pm

Hearing some positive developments on the Jimmy front.

They are clearly going to offer him that max and Jo and Ben are in contact with him. Obviously Jimmy is an odd dude and nobody knows what he is thinking, but there is optimism he will remain.

He has also come around to Brett remaining the coach after the adjustments he made in the playoffs.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#1498 » by sixers4real » Mon Jun 3, 2019 3:28 pm

fl311 wrote:Hearing some positive developments on the Jimmy front.

They are clearly going to offer him that max and Jo and Ben are in contact with him. Obviously Jimmy is an odd dude and nobody knows what he is thinking, but there is optimism he will remain.

He has also come around to Brett remaining the coach after the adjustments he made in the playoffs.

Thanks man. Any update on Tobias? Sorry for asking in this thread.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
fl311
Senior

Post#1499 » by fl311 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 3:38 pm

sixers4real wrote:

Nothing new on Tobias and he isnt their top priority.

His deal should be easier to work out if they wanted to keep him as none of the big market teams will offer him a max. If he wants to win, he could return. If he wants most $$ and doesnt care where he goes, then he might be gone. It doesnt sound like they are going to bid against themselves for him
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#1500 » by BullyKing » Mon Jun 3, 2019 3:45 pm

fl311 wrote:
sixers4real wrote:

Nothing new on Tobias and he isnt their top priority.

His deal should be easier to work out if they wanted to keep him as none of the big market teams will offer him a max. If he wants to win, he could return. If he wants most $$ and doesnt care where he goes, then he might be gone. It doesnt sound like they are going to bid against themselves for him

Wish they figured out that he wasn't going to a top priority before they traded for him.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers