ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings Trade Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Re: NBA Free Agency / Trade Thread 

Post#101 » by SmellingColors » Sun Jun 2, 2019 1:59 am

It seems like most on here are not high on Vucevic as our C option. I'm not particularly high on him either, but one of our difficulties at the C position is that we need someone who won't clog up the paint for Bagley and Fox offensively and who play solid defense. I see the case for Young, but I would be hesitant to throw h into a lineup with Bagley. I've also seen Dedmon's name thrown around and can honestly say that I've watched him enough to comment. However, considering we've been tied to him for a while in free agent signings, my question is why not Vucevic? The contract? Defensive liability? What's your reason?
magicmouse
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#102 » by magicmouse » Sun Jun 2, 2019 11:57 am

Magic Fan here,
How do you feel about Fournier? Will you consider a Fournier for Njelica and Bogdan trade. Fournier is same age as Bogdan with more experience and I think will play great along Fox and Hield. Not to mention the possibility of Vuc playing for the kings next year.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#103 » by blind prophet » Sun Jun 2, 2019 5:13 pm

magicmouse wrote:Magic Fan here,
How do you feel about Fournier? Will you consider a Fournier for Njelica and Bogdan trade. Fournier is same age as Bogdan with more experience and I think will play great along Fox and Hield. Not to mention the possibility of Vuc playing for the kings next year.

I wouldn't be.

Bjelica is also under control the season after this on a fair deal with a team option. He's really a threat way behind the arc and is a great floor spacer. Just gotta make sure he's not going to get hosed by a faster and more athletic big.

Bogi is a good utility guy and useful with our current pg depth. I'd think we could find a taker for him easily if we reconstruct the roster some. Also will be RFA later.

We can eyeball things and make those choices later on.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Post#104 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jun 2, 2019 6:41 pm

SmellingColors wrote:It seems like most on here are not high on Vucevic as our C option. I'm not particularly high on him either, but one of our difficulties at the C position is that we need someone who won't clog up the paint for Bagley and Fox offensively and who play solid defense. I see the case for Young, but I would be hesitant to throw h into a lineup with Bagley. I've also seen Dedmon's name thrown around and can honestly say that I've watched him enough to comment. However, considering we've been tied to him for a while in free agent signings, my question is why not Vucevic? The contract? Defensive liability? What's your reason?

I am still very high on Vucevic. He is a very solid defensive rebounder. Very solid rim protector and he is a stretch C that can ply alongside Bagley. Dedmon would also be a fine fit for the same reasons as Vucevic.

Vucevic did struggle in the playoffs. So, I hope his market value is down a bit. Add to that, the Magic have a crowded FC. I don't know what a Dedmon contact will look like. Pretty sure Vucevic will be a max.

I think the trouble with Young is he would need to be the starting PF, and I agree he wouldn't be a great fit next to Bagley. But they are both terrific players so they will figure it out. I also think Giles is never going to be a C. So, with Bagley, Giles and Bjelica - I think we need a C more than a PF.

My 1/2 cent.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,504

Post#105 » by codydaze » Mon Jun 3, 2019 4:14 pm

SmellingColors wrote:It seems like most on here are not high on Vucevic as our C option. I'm not particularly high on him either, but one of our difficulties at the C position is that we need someone who won't clog up the paint for Bagley and Fox offensively and who play solid defense. I see the case for Young, but I would be hesitant to throw h into a lineup with Bagley. I've also seen Dedmon's name thrown around and can honestly say that I've watched him enough to comment. However, considering we've been tied to him for a while in free agent signings, my question is why not Vucevic? The contract? Defensive liability? What's your reason?

On court, I think Vucevic would be a great fit for the roster. I just don't like the price tag I imagine it would take to get him here. He checks all the boxes we would be looking for at the center spot next to Bagley and even Giles, minus being a great shot blocker, but he spreads the floor and is a solid rebounder, it's just do you really want to be paying him 25-30 million a year?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#106 » by kalenclayton » Mon Jun 3, 2019 6:17 pm

codydaze wrote:

On court, I think Vucevic would be a great fit for the roster. I just don't like the price tag I imagine it would take to get him here. He checks all the boxes we would be looking for at the center spot next to Bagley and even Giles, minus being a great shot blocker, but he spreads the floor and is a solid rebounder, it's just do you really want to be paying him 25-30 million a year?

It’s just not worth it. I wish people would realize that he’s going to be the Kings 3rd/4th option on most nights and his best attributes are on the offensive end. Paying him 25-30 million is just not a good investment given our roster construction, trajectory, and the current state of the center position. $18 million? Maybe, but not any more. Go seek another wing, backup pg, and then get a center who is a fit, but a lesser talent. Let the young guys develop. Let’s not aimlessly spend money.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#107 » by codydaze » Mon Jun 3, 2019 6:23 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
codydaze wrote:

It’s just not worth it. I wish people would realize that he’s going to be the Kings 3rd/4th option on most nights and his best attributes are on the offensive end. Paying him 25-30 million is just not a good investment given our roster construction, trajectory, and the current state of the center position. $18 million? Maybe, but not any more. Go seek another wing, backup pg, and then get a center who is a fit, but a lesser talent. Let the young guys develop. Let’s not aimlessly spend money.

Agreed, this is a very important summer for the team and we have to spend our money wisely. I think if it doesn't look like we'll be able to get the guys we would want long term then we should just sign vets to one year deals and try again next summer. I have enough confidence in our core to still fight for a playoff spot next year and it wouldn't hurt development wise to give them all bigger minutes.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#108 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jun 4, 2019 7:52 pm

Kings going after Marcus Morris according to Wiretap. I love this move, but where does that leave Bjelica?

I personally think Bjelica was great for us last year, but as we look into improving id like to move off of him. Hes to slow and came in way overweight.

Do you guys think Bagley/Giles/Morris/Bjelica works as the big rotation?

Maybe we could move Bjelica for a backup guard, and then sign Morris and another Center?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by kalenclayton » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:13 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Kings going after Marcus Morris according to Wiretap. I love this move, but where does that leave Bjelica?

I personally think Bjelica was great for us last year, but as we look into improving id like to move off of him. Hes to slow and came in way overweight.

Maybe we could move Bjelica for a backup guard, and then sign Morris and another Center?

Just for kicks, we could combine the rumors of Kings/Morris and OKC trying to reduce salary by including #21. Hypothetically:
the Kings could go get Morris for something like $31.5m/3 (10m starting) and then trade Bjelica and #40 to OKC for Schroder and #21. Without cap holds, the Kings are sitting at $15million in space after this. They could create another $4.7 million in space if Yogi and Mason are waived.

With this they get better in the short term and still have flexibility. They could still go get a significant contributor with the space.

Edit. The cap space I noted included the cap hold of the 21st pick. That pick has a hold of 2,453,040.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#110 » by codydaze » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:35 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:Kings going after Marcus Morris according to Wiretap. I love this move, but where does that leave Bjelica?

Just for kicks, we could combine the rumors of Kings/Morris and OKC trying to reduce salary by including #21. Hypothetically:
the Kings could go get Morris for something like $31.5m/3 (10m starting) and then trade Bjelica and #40 to OKC for Schroder and #21. Without cap holds, the Kings are sitting at $15million in space after this. They could create another $4.7 million in space if Yogi and Mason are waived.

With this they get better in the short term and still have flexibility. They could still go get a significant contributor with the space.

Edit. The cap space I noted included the cap hold of the 21st pick. That pick has a hold of 2,453,040.

I like this plan. I would waive Yogi but keep Mason around. Sign Dedmon with the cap and take Matisse Thybulle at 21. I would take a flyer on Jontay Porter at 47 or 60 if he's there as well.

Fox/Schroder/Mason
Buddy/Bogi
Barnes/Thybulle/Brewer
Bagley/Morris
Dedmon/Giles/Koufos
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by kalenclayton » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:40 pm

codydaze wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

I like this plan. I would waive Yogi but keep Mason around. Sign Dedmon with the cap and take Matisse Thybulle at 21. I would take a flyer on Jontay Porter at 47 or 60 if he's there as well.

Fox/Schroder/Mason
Buddy/Bogi
Barnes/Thybulle/Brewer
Bagley/Morris
Dedmon/Giles/Koufos

I like it too. I’m not much of a fan of Schroder, but he plays hard and pushes the pace. He’s not much of a shooter, but he can still be a positive player. He’s just pretty overpaid. Thybulle is one of my favorite players in the draft and I would absolutely love to get him. I could see him being in the running for 1st team all-rookie (he’s very nba ready). I could see Walton switching Dedmon and Morris in the starting lineup depending on the matchup. This team just got a lot switchier and deeper. I like it.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#112 » by codydaze » Tue Jun 4, 2019 9:21 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
codydaze wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Just for kicks, we could combine the rumors of Kings/Morris and OKC trying to reduce salary by including #21. Hypothetically:

Fox/Schroder/Mason
Buddy/Bogi
Barnes/Thybulle/Brewer
Bagley/Morris
Dedmon/Giles/Koufos

I like it too. I’m not much of a fan of Schroder, but he plays hard and pushes the pace. He’s not much of a shooter, but he can still be a positive player. He’s just pretty overpaid. Thybulle is one of my favorite players in the draft and I would absolutely love to get him. I could see him being in the running for 1st team all-rookie (he’s very nba ready). I could see Walton switching Dedmon and Morris in the starting lineup depending on the matchup. This team just got a lot switchier and deeper. I like it.

I've never been a big fan of Schroeder's game either but I think he'd fit right into our system backing up Fox and could even play alongside him at times. If he could accept a 20-25 minute a night role off the bench I think he'd be worth targeting.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#113 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:06 pm

If the rumors of the Kings going after players like Harris and Morris are true then they are looking to go smaller which I think is smart. Morris would be a terrific pick up. He'd bring toughness and the switchability at SF/PF is undeniable.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#114 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:18 pm

kalenclayton wrote:

I don't love Schroder. I wonder if there's another team who could get us a pick for Bjelica without taking on that kind of salary. What about Turner/#25 for Bjelica? Turner is expiring and I think a better on court fit. He can share the ball handling duties with Bogdan and we can play large or small off the bench.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#115 » by codydaze » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:32 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

I don't love Schroder. I wonder if there's another team who could get us a pick for Bjelica without taking on that kind of salary. What about Turner/#25 for Bjelica? Turner is expiring and I think a better on court fit. He can share the ball handling duties with Bogdan and we can play large or small off the bench.

Not the biggest Schroder fan myself but I like Evan Turner even less. The only thing Turner has going for him over Schroder would be that he's expiring though this year's contract would be $3 million more.

I saw a Derrick Favors deal on the TT board, what about Favors/23 for Beli and a couple of our seconds? Beli would be a nice fit next to Gobert but asking for the 23 might be a bit too much.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#116 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:45 pm

codydaze wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Just for kicks, we could combine the rumors of Kings/Morris and OKC trying to reduce salary by including #21. Hypothetically:

Not the biggest Schroder fan myself but I like Evan Turner even less. The only thing Turner has going for him over Schroder would be that he's expiring though this year's contract would be $3 million more.

I saw a Derrick Favors deal on the TT board, what about Favors/23 for Beli and a couple of our seconds? Beli would be a nice fit next to Gobert but asking for the 23 might be a bit too much.

I actually like Turner more. Hes got length, hes a good defender, he can handle the ball. If he could shoot at all he would be a really good player. I also think he would translate much better in Sacramento, allow him to get out in transition and set guys up. In Portland his fit is terrible with Lillard/CJ handling so much of the on ball time.

Id love to bring in a bench unit of Bogdan/Turner/Morris/Giles. The passing between those 4 would be awesome. Add a shooter using #25 to that group and we are in business off the bench. I want to use Turner similar to how GS used Livingston pre-Durant.

Plus like you said, hes expiring so if he doesnt work good riddance.

I like that trade for Favors a lot. I just don't think Utah would go for adding a pick.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#117 » by bleeds_purple » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:14 pm

If we somehow got Dedmon, Schroder, and Morris I would be ecstatic. Outside of Harris that is pretty much the ideal off-season other than unrealistic things like signing KD or Kawhi.

Vuc is a really good player the problem is, like others have mentioned, you don't want to give that much money to the C position in this league. If you can get him for 3-4 years @ 15-20 that is fine. Anything more is too much. Even 4/80 seems like a lot.

Turner really impressed me in that game 7 against Denver. He was one of the guys on the floor who mattered. I like running bigger guards but I'd be a little concerned with Bogdan/Turner being able to guard opposing back courts. Can Turner guard the 1?
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#118 » by becorz » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:05 pm

The board seems pretty into the idea of signing Dedmond. How much money do you think it will take?

For me, I think the bidding is going to get expensive. Per Shams on the Athletic
The Hawks could be a destination for contract dumps once again, sources said. Atlanta also has interest in potentially re-signing free agent center Dewayne Dedmon to a balloon one-year deal, according to sources — or a shorter-term contract like the two-year, $14 million deal he signed in 2017.

Being a big who can shoot decently well, I think he will attract interest at a mid-level type contract ($9,246,000). So, when all is said and done, I think we are potentially looking at something more than the mid level and for three or four years. I'm thinking something in the range of 3 years, $35 million or something like that. A recent article from A Royal Pain projected him at 2 years, $22 million...I think that is low.

Are you willing to pay that much to a guy who has been a journeyman most of his career and only recently has shown signs of being rotation level? At the beginning of last season, five-thirty-eight's CARMELO said the most similar player to him was 2016 Timofey Mozgov. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/dewayne-dedmon/ Using Basketball Reference's similarity scores, his carreer is mirroring Dan Gadzuric.

I do think Dedmond is better than the above suggests, but that is a lot of money to be throwing at a guy like Dedmon. Sure, you would be paying Vuc $30 million a year, but he has shown for years that he is above average offensively and can rebound. Dedmon shot one three pointer the first four years of his career.

For me, I think I would pass at Dedmond at those salaries. I would go hard after the second tier free agents (Harris, Butler, Middleton) and when I strike out, I think I would go after the verteran, mid level types to fit in with the team. I am thinking like the Morris Twins, Cory Joseph, Ed Davis, Jeff Green, James Ennis, Wilson Chandler.

If the Kings could get him on a balloon contract like Shams suggests (maybe like 2 years, 30 million), I might consider it. It would be a chunk of capspace, but not too long term and it gives us time for Giles to develop. But more than two years, I start to worry.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#119 » by codydaze » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:25 pm

becorz wrote:The board seems pretty into the idea of signing Dedmond. How much money do you think it will take?

For me, I think the bidding is going to get expensive. Per Shams on the Athletic
The Hawks could be a destination for contract dumps once again, sources said. Atlanta also has interest in potentially re-signing free agent center Dewayne Dedmon to a balloon one-year deal, according to sources — or a shorter-term contract like the two-year, $14 million deal he signed in 2017.

Being a big who can shoot decently well, I think he will attract interest at a mid-level type contract ($9,246,000). So, when all is said and done, I think we are potentially looking at something more than the mid level and for three or four years. I'm thinking something in the range of 3 years, $35 million or something like that. A recent article from A Royal Pain projected him at 2 years, $22 million...I think that is low.

Are you willing to pay that much to a guy who has been a journeyman most of his career and only recently has shown signs of being rotation level? At the beginning of last season, five-thirty-eight's CARMELO said the most similar player to him was 2016 Timofey Mozgov. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/dewayne-dedmon/ Using Basketball Reference's similarity scores, his carreer is mirroring Dan Gadzuric.

I do think Dedmond is better than the above suggests, but that is a lot of money to be throwing at a guy like Dedmon. Sure, you would be paying Vuc $30 million a year, but he has shown for years that he is above average offensively and can rebound. Dedmon shot one three pointer the first four years of his career.

For me, I think I would pass at Dedmond at those salaries. I would go hard after the second tier free agents (Harris, Butler, Middleton) and when I strike out, I think I would go after the verteran, mid level types to fit in with the team. I am thinking like the Morris Twins, Cory Joseph, Ed Davis, Jeff Green, James Ennis, Wilson Chandler.

If the Kings could get him on a balloon contract like Shams suggests (maybe like 2 years, 30 million), I might consider it. It would be a chunk of capspace, but not too long term and it gives us time for Giles to develop. But more than two years, I start to worry.

An ideal contract in my opinion would be something like 3 years, 30 million with a partial guarantee in year 3. I really like Dedmon and he's probably my ideal target at C just because he can easily transition to the bench this year if GIles breaks out or in year 2 but I would be wary of doing anything beyond 3 years, 35 million. That's probably where I max out my offer and would definitely push for a partial guarantee in year 3 regardless, like 1 or 2 million guaranteed in the final year.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by kalenclayton » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:28 pm

becorz wrote:The board seems pretty into the idea of signing Dedmond. How much money do you think it will take?

The center market is tricky. I think that if Vlade is being responsible and thinks Dedmon is a legit player at this point, he will offer $27million/3years (3rd year TO). If that is declined, so be it. I think Dedmon will likely be a big candidate for the Kings, but the team can’t afford to overpay him and fail. I like the Vuc target, but I would only offer him $70/4years. You have to look at a contract through the eyes of other teams and make sure it is palatable if you need to move it. The Vuc contract will probably get declined, but we have to make sure that we can stay flexible unless a player looks like a perfect fit and building block.

I could see Vlade targeting plenty of centers with offers that are fair and just getting turned down. That is the smart way to go and I hope that is what happens. I’d offer the following in order:
Nikola Vucevic ($70/4)
Dewayne Dedmon ($27/3TO)
Ivica Zubac ($20/3)
Thomas Bryant ($20/3)
Aron Baynes ($20/3TO)
Ed Davis ($20/4)

Of those don’t work, I’m ready for some guys who will be ready for a committee. I’m looking at 1-2 year deals that can get us some stability. Some potential cheap targets are:
Jordan Bell
Kevon Looney
Nerlens Noel
Khem Birch
Taj Gibson
Richaun Holmes

Just be smart with the money. It shouldn’t be burning a hole in your pocket.

Return to Sacramento Kings