ImageImageImage

Nikola Jokic MVPx2, FMVP, and.. still counting!

Moderator: THE J0KER

LeverRed
Ballboy
And1: 16

Re: Jokic's production 

Post#221 » by LeverRed » Fri May 31, 2019 3:10 am

Joker plays very good positional defense and is usually in the right spot at the right time . Also doesn’t make the frustrating foul to make up for not being where he needs to be. Hopefully he works with a sports phycologist during this off-season and starts to work on his attitude about being fouled while also not retaliating with fouls for missed calls by referees.
His Weight and body type do not bother me I think them extra pounds really helped him in the playoffs and to get through the regular season while remaining dominant in the paint some of the strongest people I have ever seen or met did not look like ripped bodybuilders and I don’t want to see him try and look that way either .
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#222 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 3, 2019 4:35 pm

How often do you notice players trying to throw 60-80 foot passes - that are intercepted?
Even the great wizard we call The Joker has one occasionally intercepted - but not nearly as many as others. :D
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#223 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:54 pm

A nice article about the Nuggets and as is appropriate, it focuses on Jokic.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/29/8934453/are-we-sure-denver-nuggets-nikola-jokic

A key point is that the Nuggets need to surround Jokic with players that know how/when to expect passes - you know, the passes that nobody else would dare make, even if they imagined them. So who on the Nuggets qualify as that type of player? After all, Jokic can hit anyone that is open and several players are good at spot-up duty. But who receives the extreme passes well?

Murray - Harris --- absolutely
Beasley? Not enough minutes together IMO to make the call, but I think so

Craig? Vanderbilt? Grant? I'm hopeful they prove they can be that type of player.

Porter? Not so sure that's his game, but that doesn't mean he won't work out for the Nuggets. If there are three other starters that make themselves available for those extreme passes, Porter can fit fine. Then again, he just might surprise us. He seems like an intelligent player (based on high school though).
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#224 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm

An interesting article about "Signature Moves" but they missed Jokic's signature move: Passing! :nod:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2847558-these-are-the-nbas-most-lethal-signature-moves
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#225 » by Coeur » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:01 am

NuggetsWY wrote:A nice article about the Nuggets and as is appropriate, it focuses on Jokic.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/29/8934453/are-we-sure-denver-nuggets-nikola-jokic

A key point is that the Nuggets need to surround Jokic with players that know how/when to expect passes - you know, the passes that nobody else would dare make, even if they imagined them. So who on the Nuggets qualify as that type of player? After all, Jokic can hit anyone that is open and several players are good at spot-up duty. But who receives the extreme passes well?

Craig? Vanderbilt? Grant? I'm hopeful they prove they can be that type of player.

Porter? Not so sure that's his game, but that doesn't mean he won't work out for the Nuggets. If there are three other starters that make themselves available for those extreme passes, Porter can fit fine. Then again, he just might surprise us. He seems like an intelligent player (based on high school though).

Needs elite runners and finishers to make the passing the most dangerous

Aaron Gordon types. To a lesser extent Beasley, Craig, potentially Vanderbilt?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#226 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:53 am

Coeur wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:A nice article about the Nuggets and as is appropriate, it focuses on Jokic.

Don't forget Grant & Vanderbilt; both of whom have shown they can move without the ball and crash the rim without feat. Also don't forget Harris; who has proven to be a great recipient of Jokic passes. Plus, as you say; Beasley & Craig. I think we're stocked there.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:30 pm

https://fansided.com/2019/09/20/25-under-25-2019-nikola-jokic-nuggets-1/

Fansided lists Jokic as the #1 25-under player and it's almost impossible to disagree - although fans of Towns & Embiid will argue with that.

It starts with his passing. This is by design, of course. Once he finishes his loping, seemingly disinterested jog to the top of the key, someone, usually Jamal Murray, dumps the ball into him, setting into motion any number of actions that keep the defense guessing. His teammates become electrons around his nucleus, weaving through and past each other as they wait for his move. This is when Nikola Jokic is at his best, and this is why he is the best player in the NBA under the age of 25.

The article begins by suggesting he might be an MVP contender and the narrative explains why.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#228 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:55 am

Coeur wrote:

We need shooters to get those guys a path to the rim, our shooting was off in the playoffs and Jokic and Murray won some games carrying this team.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#229 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:58 am

NuggetsWY wrote:https://fansided.com/2019/09/20/25-under-25-2019-nikola-jokic-nuggets-1/

Fansided lists Jokic as the #1 25-under player and it's almost impossible to disagree - although fans of Towns & Embiid will argue with that.

It starts with his passing. This is by design, of course. Once he finishes his loping, seemingly disinterested jog to the top of the key, someone, usually Jamal Murray, dumps the ball into him, setting into motion any number of actions that keep the defense guessing. His teammates become electrons around his nucleus, weaving through and past each other as they wait for his move. This is when Nikola Jokic is at his best, and this is why he is the best player in the NBA under the age of 25.

The article begins by suggesting he might be an MVP contender and the narrative explains why.

It is about time some start reporting how good Jokic really is. I get so tired of the big market reporting ignoring or underrating all of our players. He was 4th in MVP voting last year, and some will claim he should have been 3rd, and then he was a beast in the playoffs. Embiid is great, but on a team full of all stars he does not carry near the load Jokic does and Jokic is every bit as successful at this point.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:54 am

What expectations should we have for Jokic this year? What were you hoping he would improve during the off-season?

It is so very hard to measure Jokic's contributions/improvement because he doesn't appear to have any concerns about his statistics. He seems to measure only one stat - team wins.

Perhaps the one area he should have worked on during the off-season would be his 3pt%. Last year was the worst of his career.

I'd love to see Jokic shoot more; but that's not going to happen.

His defense is under-rated IMO - because it's not the traditional rim-protecting center style.

My expectations from over the off-season and for the upcoming season? Keep on keeping on.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#231 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 2, 2019 12:49 am

Nikola's older brother Strahinja, as we see a couple of times (in the crowd) have problems sometimes to control his temper, but this time he is maybe in real trouble with his behavior. Nikola Jokic’s brother arrested on suspicion of assault for allegedly choking, pushing woman
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#232 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Nov 4, 2019 12:02 pm

Jokic's usage rate this year is down slightly from last year. 27% down to 24%. I was hoping his usage would go up this year. I'm not looking for anything like Harden's 40%. IMO he should be somewhere around 30% - similar to Doncic & Donovan Mitchell, Steph Curry, LeBron, Embiid, Antetokounmpo, etc.

We are currently in the bottom third in the league in offensive ranking, depending on which statistic you are looking at.

We can not trust in our defense because it isn't much better. Our team is best at scoring, we need to SCORE.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#233 » by TunaFish » Mon Nov 4, 2019 9:20 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Jokic's usage rate this year is down slightly from last year. 27% down to 24%. I was hoping his usage would go up this year. I'm not looking for anything like Harden's 40%. IMO he should be somewhere around 30% - similar to Doncic & Donovan Mitchell, Steph Curry, LeBron, Embiid, Antetokounmpo, etc.

We are currently in the bottom third in the league in offensive ranking, depending on which statistic you are looking at.

We can not trust in our defense because it isn't much better. Our team is best at scoring, we need to SCORE.

I have this memory from last season when Jokic suddenly stopped shooting for an extended period of time. Very strange, yet the feeling was that something had happened to him in Chicago. Starting to see some current discussion that he can't focus as well due to some family issues. It there is one obvious trait about Jokic, he plays with his heart and whatever statistics you look at now will likely be different later. And that may be for no reason at all. We are talking about the Joker.
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#234 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:44 am

Look what happens when Nikola is aggressive and in playoff mode, taking 25 shots and forcing 16 free throws
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#235 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:58 pm

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/02/5-nba-stars-who-must-step-up-in-second-half-of-the-season/

"5 NBA Stars Who Must Step Up in Second Half of the Season" I think the end of our season depends on Jokic taking more shots and handling the ball more. Yes, Murray needs to be consistent, but Jokic is the only player that can take us deep into the playoffs.

Nikola Jokic, Denver Nuggets
Out of shape. That’s been the word surrounding Jokic in the Mile High City thus far this season. His performance in an overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers heading into the break added another level to this narrative.

Overall, the Joker is performing at nearly the same basic statistical level as last season. He’s just been too inconsistent for a Nuggets team that’s looking to vie for the Western Conference title.

Consider this. Jokic has scored 15 points or less 14 times this season. That total stood at 17 times all of last year. He’s also finished negative in the plus-minus territory as many times (23) as he did all of last season. If the surprising Nuggets want to be seen as legit contenders, Jokic must step up.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#236 » by skywalker33 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:42 am

NuggetsWY wrote:https://sportsnaut.com/2020/02/5-nba-stars-who-must-step-up-in-second-half-of-the-season/

"5 NBA Stars Who Must Step Up in Second Half of the Season" I think the end of our season depends on Jokic taking more shots and handling the ball more. Yes, Murray needs to be consistent, but Jokic is the only player that can take us deep into the playoffs.

Out of shape. That’s been the word surrounding Jokic in the Mile High City thus far this season. His performance in an overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers heading into the break added another level to this narrative.

Overall, the Joker is performing at nearly the same basic statistical level as last season. He’s just been too inconsistent for a Nuggets team that’s looking to vie for the Western Conference title.

Consider this. Jokic has scored 15 points or less 14 times this season. That total stood at 17 times all of last year. He’s also finished negative in the plus-minus territory as many times (23) as he did all of last season. If the surprising Nuggets want to be seen as legit contenders, Jokic must step up.

The author seems to want to focus on the negative to support his article, but not to note how Joker killed it in last post-season is an erroneous omission IMO. Joker has had an up-and-down year but considering how he kept this team afloat amid NUMEROUS injuries seems a bit of a backstab by the author.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#237 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:29 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:https://sportsnaut.com/2020/02/5-nba-stars-who-must-step-up-in-second-half-of-the-season/

The author seems to want to focus on the negative to support his article, but not to note how Joker killed it in last post-season is an erroneous omission IMO. Joker has had an up-and-down year but considering how he kept this team afloat amid NUMEROUS injuries seems a bit of a backstab by the author.

You are correct, but that article is correct. The superstars have to elevate their games when things get tough and when games are tight. That isn't happening and we are all holding to the hope that it happens come playoff time. How a team plays during the season tends to be how they play in the playoffs.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#238 » by skywalker33 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:32 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

You are correct, but that article is correct. The superstars have to elevate their games when things get tough and when games are tight. That isn't happening and we are all holding to the hope that it happens come playoff time. How a team plays during the season tends to be how they play in the playoffs.

Not disagreeing too much with the article but if you recall, Joker stepped up big in the playoffs last year, his averages jumped to 25/13/8.5 per game and I expect something similar this year.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Post#239 » by manchambo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:22 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

It's kind of ridiculous to focus on a slightly off night against the best team in the West (which game went to OT), and not mention that a few nights earlier he dominated Gobert with only 7 active players, and put up not just a triple double, but a 30 20 triple double.

He has stepped up tremendously. He didn't have his best night against the Lakers, perhaps because of the effort he's been putting up for an injury-riddled team.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#240 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:22 am

manchambo wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

"5 NBA Stars Who Must Step Up in Second Half of the Season" I think the end of our season depends on Jokic taking more shots and handling the ball more. Yes, Murray needs to be consistent, but Jokic is the only player that can take us deep into the playoff.

It's kind of ridiculous to focus on a slightly off night against the best team in the West (which game went to OT), and not mention that a few nights earlier he dominated Gobert with only 7 active players, and put up not just a triple double, but a 30 20 triple double.

He has stepped up tremendously. He didn't have his best night against the Lakers, perhaps because of the effort he's been putting up for an injury-riddled team.

I understand the perception that this article was rather negative, but then I ask, what should we expect from Jokic? How many points? How many rebounds? How many assists? Anything else?

I'd love to see him take 18-20 shots per game and I think his rebounding will take care of itself. I also would love to see him handle the ball more in the high post, which would result in a triple double quite often. Mostly what I'd like to see is more consistency. He's too good of a player to only take 10-12 shots in one game and then 20 shots in another. This is his team and it will only go as far as he takes it, but that means he must assert himself more. His unselfishness is actually hurting the team in my opinion. I don't want him to lose all of his selflessness, but just want to see him take open shots and shots over mis-matches with guards (and not take silly fouls that cause him to have to back off on defense in close games).

Return to Denver Nuggets