ImageImage

Potential Offseason Moves

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#141 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 5:28 pm

jman3134 wrote:Out of curiosity, who would you like to target with those picks? There is a strong chance a guy at 23 might be available in round 2 because there are a glut of players all around the same talent level.

I would like to aim as high as possible. The Knicks seemingly don't want their #3 pick and are looking to trade down, so if we could facilitate a three team and pick up RJ to pair with Ja, we would be set for the foreseeable future.

In terms of existing players, I would love to acquire Mikal Bridges if RJ is out of reach. Worst case we go for a #4, #5 or #6 and get Culver, who has the right mental approach to be an elite player.

As for 2nd round or late first, I would love to pair Ja with Didi Louzada from Brazil. He is only 19 and has to refine many things in his game, but the natural talent and bball IQ are there. Super slept on prospect I would scoop up early second.

Steve Kyler is saying Boston is out on Davis & Kyrie, I think the Knicks are out on Davis as well otherwise their 3rd pick would be a solid choice not one of due diligence. Knicks are engaging the interest of Cavs for RJ, who are rumored supremely interested & Atlanta's interest for one of Hunter or Culver who's not expected to drop to 8th for the 8th & 10th picks.

Unfortunately for Memphis, Cavs & Atlanta have their future PG's to get involved for the 3rd pick.

Verified account

@jasonrmcintyre
Follow
Follow @jasonrmcintyre

More
Best Lonzo Ball trades being discussed now are Suns for 6th pick (Sarver loves him) and Bulls for 7th pick.

Ja Morant best PG in draft. Garland 2nd but he’s not considered as good a prospect as Lonzo. Neither will be there at 6/7.
4:04 PM - 1 Jun 2019

LA trading Ball for the 6th is most likely LA building a pick trade package for Davis. If the 6th is not used in a Davis trade & Lakers miss out on Kyrie. I could see Conley being worth the 6th pick for LA as plan B to Kyrie signing with NY or NJ.

For me draft slot is not as important as who's potentially available. I'd consider 14 & 20 from Boston if I thought I could net one of Hayes, Bruno, Clarke with Keldon Johnson.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#142 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 5:32 pm

jman3134 wrote:Out of curiosity, who would you like to target with those picks? There is a strong chance a guy at 23 might be available in round 2 because there are a glut of players all around the same talent level.

I would like to aim as high as possible. The Knicks seemingly don't want their #3 pick and are looking to trade down, so if we could facilitate a three team and pick up RJ to pair with Ja, we would be set for the foreseeable future.

In terms of existing players, I would love to acquire Mikal Bridges if RJ is out of reach. Worst case we go for a #4, #5 or #6 and get Culver, who has the right mental approach to be an elite player.

As for 2nd round or late first, I would love to pair Ja with Didi Louzada from Brazil. He is only 19 and has to refine many things in his game, but the natural talent and bball IQ are there. Super slept on prospect I would scoop up early second.

I can't see us ending up with #3 this draft without sending out a first. #4-5 are also pretty unlikely. We have a shot at #6 due to PHX looking for a vet PG, but I doubt they are looking to move Bridges (I'd love to get him though). Even for #6, we may need to add something on our end like Brooks. Conley is a very good player, but we will have a hard time getting a ton for him. It would be cool to get Sabonis for him somehow or maybe Denver could do a Gary Harris+Plumlee package. Not sure how you feel about those guys, but they are maybe options.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#143 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 5:36 pm

Memphis-Heat-Minnesota

Heat trade - (Bam, R,Anderson, JJohnson, #13) for (Conley, K.Anderson)

Minnesota trade - (Wiggins, #11, FRP 2022 protected) for (Bam, R.Anderson)

Memphis trade - (Conley, K.Anderson) for (Wiggins, J.Johnson, #11, #13, FRP 2022 protected)

Concept,

- Heat smaller, shorter bad contracts with Bam are sent to Minnesota for Wiggins worse contract, in order to net the 11th pick & a FRP in 2022. Besides the obvious of eating the additional 3yrs to net the pick value. Wiggins is still young & has untapped potential compared to the Heats bad contracts for a rebuild. He's a quick athlete that might thrive with Ja pushing the pace. When JA & Jaren are ready for their extensions, Wiggins contract will have large expiring value at the very least, which could be used in trade along with Minnesota's 2022 FRP among other potential assets to target a potential star, big money player.

- Minnesota want to pair Kat with Bam, they dump Wiggins terrible contract at the cost of the 13th & FRP 2022 (protected?).

- Riley who covets Conley also dumps unwanted contracts by combining Bam's value with the 13th pick.

- Memphis give up an Allstar caliber PG with a young player, take back some bad salary for picks (11, 13 & FRP in 2022)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#144 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 5:54 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Memphis-Heat-Minnesota

Memphis trade - (Conley, K.Anderson) for (Wiggins, J.Johnson, #11, #13, FRP 2022 protected)

Concept,

- Heat smaller bad contracts with Bam are sent to Minnesota for Wiggins worse contract, in order to net the 11th pick & a FRP in 2022. Besides the obvious of eating an addition 3yrs to net the pick value. Wiggins is still young & has untapped potential compared to the Heats bad contracts, he's also a quick athlete that might thrive with Ja pushing the pace. When JA & Jaren are ready for their extensions, Wiggins will be becoming value at the very least as a large expiring that could be used in trade along with Minnesota's 2022 FRP among other potential assets to target a potential star big money player.

- Minnesota want to pair Kat with Bam & they dump Wiggins terrible contract at the cost of the 13th & FRP 2022 protected?.

- Riley who covets Conley also dumps unwanted contracts by combining Bam's value with the 13th pick.

I think Miami wouldn't do that trade. They are pretty high on Bam. As for us, I'd almost rather cut MIN out. Bam is probably close to as good as whoever we'd get at #11 and Wiggins kills our cap for friggin forever.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#145 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 6:00 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Memphis-Heat-Minnesota

Concept,

- Heat smaller bad contracts with Bam are sent to Minnesota for Wiggins worse contract, in order to net the 11th pick & a FRP in 2022. Besides the obvious of eating an addition 3yrs to net the pick value. Wiggins is still young & has untapped potential compared to the Heats bad contracts, he's also a quick athlete that might thrive with Ja pushing the pace. When JA & Jaren are ready for their extensions, Wiggins will be becoming value at the very least as a large expiring that could be used in trade along with Minnesota's 2022 FRP among other potential assets to target a potential star big money player.

- Minnesota want to pair Kat with Bam & they dump Wiggins terrible contract at the cost of the 13th & FRP 2022 protected?.

I think Miami wouldn't do that trade. They are pretty high on Bam. As for us, I'd almost rather cut MIN out. Bam is probably close to as good as whoever we'd get at #11 and Wiggins kills our cap for friggin forever.

I read somewhere that Bam might be available in trade. I'll look for that quote.

I like Bam as well but for Memphis, Jaren is the small ball 5 & I wanted to reset the rookie scale clock by taking one of Hayes, Bruno or Abengele at 11 for him. Minnesota are ready for contention therefore trading the rookie big for Bam to pair with Kat.

Ja & Jaren won't be ready for contention at least for another 2-3 yrs. By that time Wiggins will be becoming a large expiring contract & for taking his bad contract on now as negative value the 2022 FRP asked for compensation becomes a big trade asset to help build around Ja & Jaren if Wiggins doesn't recoup his value as a player.

With Memphis having Parsons & Miles drop off the books Wiggins will be the sole bad contract on roster, which could turn into a max player trade filler when Ja & Jaren are hitting their prime years if not used to clear cap.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#146 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 6:14 pm

Here it is.

According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, The Miami Heat are leaving the impression with other teams that there are 'no untouchables on the roster', including players such as Josh Richardson, Justise Winslow and Bam Adebayo. As the report states, the Heat are less inclined to trade Richardson, Winslow or Adebayo as opposed to several of their other roster pieces. There is a sense, however, that they could be acquired for the right price, signaling that Miami is intent on reshaping their roster for next season.

Conley is worth more than the 13th pick in a weak draft, more less taking back Heats bad contracts to fill salary requirements. Teams give up mid level picks to dump less salary than what Heat are sending back here in trade. Then I include the young Anderson to further boost the trade value.

Bam & the 13th or no trade.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#147 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 6:23 pm

The Phoenix Suns have already told other NBA front offices that their No. 6 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft is on the table for a potential trade.
They would be willing to do that if “the right veteran guard is available,” according to ESPN’s Jonathan Givony.
You may be asking yourself why the Suns just don’t draft a point guard in the upcoming draft. That is because the top two point guards in this draft, Ja Morant and Darius Garland, are expected to be off the board before the Suns select at No. 6.

https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/06/03/here-is-what-the-phoenix-suns-want-in-order-to-part-ways-with-no-6-overall-draft-pick/

IMO, Conley is a perfect fit for the Suns.

- Veteran leadership
- can play off ball to Brooks as well as lead guard.
- No character issues
- 2 way guard who can help space the court
- Can run the pnr with Ayton
- While his cap hit is fairly big, he's only under contract for 2yrs for no long term commitment. Suns over those 2 years might find themselves in better draft position to address the future concern at the position.

Conley might just be the player to help get them back into the playoff picture, which they desperately want.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#148 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 6:35 pm

If Suns consider the 6th for Conley. Atlanta have interest in Hunter or Culver who won't drop to 8.

If the draft order is Zion, JA, RJ, Garland, Hunter or Culver, Memphis will have one of Atlanta's coveted options. If they would be willing to trade up for a Hunter or Culver. I'd trade down for 8 & 10 to take Hayes & K.Johnson.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#149 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 6:51 pm

Whole Truth wrote:If Suns consider the 6th for Conley. Atlanta have interest in Hunter or Culver who won't drop to 8.

If the draft order is Zion, JA, RJ, Garland, Hunter or Culver, Memphis will have one of Atlanta's coveted options. If they would be willing to trade up for a Hunter or Culver. I'd trade down for 8 & 10 to take Hayes & K.Johnson.

I would not take Johnson that high but would be fine trading back for additional assets and then taking him. I can't see Atlanta doing 6 for 8+10 though. We would have to add value since they could take Cam+Hayes which would be better for them than just Culver/Hunter.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#150 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:21 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:If Suns consider the 6th for Conley. Atlanta have interest in Hunter or Culver who won't drop to 8.

I would not take Johnson that high but would be fine trading back for additional assets and then taking him. I can't see Atlanta doing 6 for 8+10 though. We would have to add value since they could take Cam+Hayes which would be better for them than just Culver/Hunter.

Knicks were linked to Culver over RJ because that is who Atlanta was linked to favoring. That's how I assumed they might trade down for 8 & 10 before the recent slew of rumors that they might actually be considering the fact.

Atlanta is trying to replicate GS's backcourt.

Young - Curry
Culver - Clay

If the draft order is RJ, Garland, Hunter... Memphis would be holding Atlanta's player of interest, if they can trade for the 6th pick.

What is the difference between players linked in this draft from 5-20 ?

I'd have no problem taking KJ at 10.

Has Memphis done any workouts?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#151 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:28 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Knicks were linked to Culver over RJ because that is who Atlanta was linked to favoring. That's how I assumed they might trade down for 8 & 10 before the recent slew of rumors that they might actually be considering the fact.

Atlanta is trying to replicate GS's backcourt.

Young - Curry
Culver - Clay

If the draft order is RJ, Garland, Hunter... Memphis would be holding Atlanta's player of interest, if they can trade for the 6th pick.

What is the difference between players linked in this draft from 5-20 ?

I'd have no problem taking KJ at 10.

Has Memphis done any workouts?.

Yeah we have had a few though I'm not sure who all was a part of them. I think mostly 2nd round/undrafted type players.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#152 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 3, 2019 7:43 pm

Ja Morant

@igotgame_12

successful surgery 12 is good

9:52 AM - Jun 3, 2019
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#153 » by jman3134 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 3:58 am

Whole Truth wrote:

Steve Kyler is saying Boston is out on Davis & Kyrie, I think the Knicks are out on Davis as well otherwise their 3rd pick would be a solid choice not one of due diligence. Knicks are engaging the interest of Cavs for RJ, who are rumored supremely interested & Atlanta's interest for one of Hunter or Culver who's not expected to drop to 8th for the 8th & 10th picks.

Unfortunately for Memphis, Cavs & Atlanta have their future PG's to get involved for the 3rd pick.

Verified account

@jasonrmcintyre
Follow
Follow @jasonrmcintyre

More
Best Lonzo Ball trades being discussed now are Suns for 6th pick (Sarver loves him) and Bulls for 7th pick.

Ja Morant best PG in draft. Garland 2nd but he’s not considered as good a prospect as Lonzo. Neither will be there at 6/7.
4:04 PM - 1 Jun 2019

LA trading Ball for the 6th is most likely LA building a pick trade package for Davis. If the 6th is not used in a Davis trade & Lakers miss out on Kyrie. I could see Conley being worth the 6th pick for LA as plan B to Kyrie signing with NY or NJ.

For me draft slot is not as important as who's potentially available. I'd consider 14 & 20 from Boston if I thought I could net one of Hayes, Bruno, Clarke with Keldon Johnson.

What about the Suns as a partner in the Knicks deal? Keldon is probably going before 20 or 23.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#154 » by jman3134 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 4:06 am

VCfor3 wrote:

I can't see us ending up with #3 this draft without sending out a first. #4-5 are also pretty unlikely. We have a shot at #6 due to PHX looking for a vet PG, but I doubt they are looking to move Bridges (I'd love to get him though). Even for #6, we may need to add something on our end like Brooks. Conley is a very good player, but we will have a hard time getting a ton for him. It would be cool to get Sabonis for him somehow or maybe Denver could do a Gary Harris+Plumlee package. Not sure how you feel about those guys, but they are maybe options.

Under normal circumstances, I can understand that. But, not necessarily with Durant coming in. I doubt they expect anything unless it is Culver or Hunter. They will probably expect equivalent value though. Maybe we could send the Knicks 6 + something else as part of 3 team and send Conley to the Suns for #3? I would trade anyone else on the roster besides JJ to get such a deal done.

With regard to the Harris trade: I am a little underwhelmed, as I think they don't really match the age profile of what we are looking for. I think we need a few really young developing players, or severely underutilized free agents. I do like the talent with Harris and Plumlee, but they are already established role players for a contender. In a rebuild, we should take a stab at high upside guys ages 19-24.

I like Sabonis too, but he doesn't match the profile of the team we are looking to build. We will be transition heavy with Ja at the point. In terms of talent, Sabonis is great.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#155 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 4, 2019 4:56 pm

The Brooklyn Nets seem to be leading the race for the Celtics point guard with New York Knicks also interested in signing the six-time All-Star.

Steve Kyler

@stevekylerNBA

I can help a little... The Celtics have been actively exploring trades, and draft scenarios for players that would better lineup with a future built around Tatum and Brown... sources close to the team are skeptical that they can get Irving back but remain open to re-signing him.

@ChristianTams
Follow
Follow @ChristianTams

More
Replying to @stevekylerNBA
Its not even providing sources necessarily....could at least say; "they are not operating as if they will keep Irving, get AD....[insert example here]". Allowimg the reader to be like "hey! He actually knows somethings!" Instead of taking his word for it.....
11:30 AM - 31 May 2019

https://www.ibtimes.com/nba-rumors-kyrie-irving-gone-celtics-lakers-move-no-way-2797577

According to Jonathan Givony of ESPN, the Lakers are “active in trade talks” regarding the fourth overall pick and would be open to making a trade for an established veteran who can help them win games next season.

It's quite possible Kyrie might end up in NJ along side Russell. If that happens, Memphis is in business. LA could be offering the 4th or flip Lonzo for the 6/7th pick for Conley, pending on a Davis/Beal trade. I at one point thought Love might be an option but it seems their owner won't do LA/Lebron any favors.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#156 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:13 pm

Hypothetically, If Memphis can get that 4th pick from LA, would they draft Garland to pair with JA or a wing like Hunter, Culver?.

If Knicks take RJ at 3 pass on trading down, Atlanta are rumored to be interested in Culver/Hunter who won't fall to 8.

Personally I'd hit up Atlanta, trade down to 8 & 10 from 4. Draft one big that I like between Hayes, Bruno or Abengele & pair one of them with K.Johnson at 10. KJ is my preference, Memphis could have interest in Reddish or Little in that range.

#2 JA
#8 Hayes - Bruno - Abengele
#10 KJ - Reddish - Little

I like Clarke too but he's 23.

I think KJ can be every bit as good or better than Hunter, Culver. He may not be as good a defender as Hunter or as good a 3pt shooter as Culver but he has the skillset to be a more complete player IMO. Of the 3, KJ has the best chance of generating his own offense under development.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#157 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:24 pm

jman3134 wrote:What about the Suns as a partner in the Knicks deal? Keldon is probably going before 20 or 23.

I dont see how Memphis can beat out Cavs with the 5th pick or Atlanta with the 8th & 10th pick if they decide to trade out the 3 hole.

Otherwise Suns would use the 6th pick to draft Garland at 3. Memphis are fortunate it doesn't make sense for LA to trade down to 6. If anything they would offer up Ball for the 6th or 7th pick to build a pick trade package for a rebuilding team like NO's (Davs) or Washington (Beal).

It's rumored that Griffen really likes Ingram for NO's.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#158 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:34 pm

Los Angeles Times reporter Bill Plaschke who went on The Sedano Show to talk about some potential scenarios where LeBron might leave.

"I'm hearing that if they whiff on free agency, and if they whiff on a trade, which I don't know how likely that is, but if that happens, they've got big trouble with LeBron," Plaschke said. "I heard this for the first time yesterday, somebody very connected said 'You know what, if they whiff, LeBron's going to say either I'm out of here or get me out of here, or the Lakers just might as well just get him out of here.' So this is huge."

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/lebron-james-could-reportedly-leave-lakers-if-offseason-is-a-failure-news.82125.html

This on the heal of WOJ reporting the availability of the 4th pick for a veteran. LA can't afford to keep Ingram or Ball if they're not able to stay healthy, nor can the keep any asset that won't produce tomorrow & if things couldn't get better for Memphis, it looks like NJ is favored to land Kyrie over Knicks, LA & Boston.

Conley makes sense in LA if they strike out on Kyrie. Question is, just how desperate is LA to keep Lebron & what assets would be left over from a potential Davis or Beal priority trade?.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#159 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 4, 2019 6:32 pm

Josh Robbins

@JoshuaBRobbins

Kentucky swingman Keldon Johnson, who just completed a workout with the Magic, said he's already worked out for the Celtics. He said he has workouts scheduled with the Heat, Wizards, Hornets and Timberwolves.

11:59 AM - Jun 3, 2019

What do Magic, Celtics, Heat, Wizards, Hornets & Wolves have in common?.

They either need a PG & or have shown trade interest in Conley. I'm excited about KJ's workout schedule. Can't wait to hear the news Memphis worked him out.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#160 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:54 pm

Why would Phoenix take on those crazy contracts for one of those two veteran point guards who are past their prime?

Conley is past his prime?. Someone needs to remind this organization they had Nash playing 30 mins at 37. Like Nash, Conley's game is not predictaed on athleticism.

This years past his prime numbers - 21.1 pts / 6.4 asts / 3.4 rbs (22 per) on 49 FG% & 42 3pt% while playing defense too, lol.

There's only 2 PG's available that would be better than Conley & neither would entertain playing for the Suns in FA & wishing for Russell isn't going to help either.

The more realistic FAs Phoenix could pursue are Ricky Rubio, Darren Collison and perhaps Patrick Beverley. They’re unrestricted, can mesh well and won't break the bank.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

The Suns want to involve Deandre Ayton more in the offense. So the point Phoenix looks to add will have to fit in a system, not be the centerpiece if the Suns truly believe Booker and Ayton are that 1-2 championship punch.

No to Conley, a vet PG that can utilize Ayton in the pnr, that can play off ball to Booker shooting (42% from 3) & or be a lead guard, if necessary. lol easy to see why Suns are irrelevant despite spending years in the lotto.

Plus, what NBA team parts ways with that type of talent, unless he’s a bad fit for whatever season.

One that is tearing down the old & is about to draft a franchise PG with the 2nd overall pick?

Get your **** together Pheonix, Memphis doesn't need the 6th pick to get a player of interest in a draft that has no set order 5-20. You;re not going to do better than Conley in trade, FA or draft.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2019/06/04/phoenix-suns-nba-draft-trade-analysis-point-guard-rumors/1340505001/

Return to Memphis Grizzlies