Jazz, Magic, Wolves, Pacers To Pursue D'Angelo Russell

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Jazz, Magic, Wolves, Pacers To Pursue D'Angelo Russell 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 4, 2019 7:04 pm

D'Angelo Russell is expected to have one of the NBA's more intriguing restricted free agencies in recent memory as he's coming off an All-Star appearance, but the Brooklyn Nets also have interest in other free agents such as Kyrie Irving.

Beyond the Nets, Irving is expected to receive interest from the Utah Jazz, Orlando Magic, Minnesota Timberwolves and Indiana Pacers.

Russell was traded by the Los Angeles Lakers to the Nets in 2017.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Re: Jazz, Magic, Wolves, Pacers To Pursue D'Angelo Russell 

Post#2 » by JKiddy » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:00 pm

(planted story)
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:34 pm

I don't think it's a fake story. I do believe that there will be real interest from other teams in signing D'Angelo to a max contract. I'm surprised that PHX is not on there, and I'm surprised that MIN is since they don't have room to offer him a max contract. But the other teams make alot of sense.

Now, the real question is how well can the Nets FO get Russell to play ball with their strategy? They want to hunt for another star FA while he's on his cap hold, and then go over the cap to sign his max extension. BUT, if another team gets him to sign a max offer sheet, suddenly our max capspace woudl go away. His cap hold is $21mil, but his max contract starts @ $27iml. That $6mil difference, if timed right, could torpedo our efforts to sign a max guy and keep Russ. I have faith that he wants to build a better team around himself in Brooklyn, so he won't sign an offer sheet. But when was the last time you could sign a 23yo All-Star FA, and ruin a rivals' summer all at the same time?

So yeah, teams are gonna try to woo him.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,544

Post#4 » by lonzo_pelota » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:36 pm

which of those teams states have best legal marijuana laws will be D-Lo's agents question?
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#5 » by Killboard » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:37 pm

I'm fine with the Wolves making an effort, but probably would be a S&T since the wolves don't have cap space and very few ways to get under.

Maybe dealing Covington (loud painful sound) or around 11th/saric/okogie.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#6 » by Killboard » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:59 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:I don't think it's a fake story. I do believe that there will be real interest from other teams in signing D'Angelo to a max contract. I'm surprised that PHX is not on there, and I'm surprised that MIN is since they don't have room to offer him a max contract. But the other teams make alot of sense.

Now, the real question is how well can the Nets FO get Russell to play ball with their strategy? They want to hunt for another star FA while he's on his cap hold, and then go over the cap to sign his max extension. BUT, if another team gets him to sign a max offer sheet, suddenly our max capspace woudl go away. His cap hold is $21mil, but his max contract starts @ $27iml. That $6mil difference, if timed right, could torpedo our efforts to sign a max guy and keep Russ. I have faith that he wants to build a better team around himself in Brooklyn, so he won't sign an offer sheet. But when was the last time you could sign a 23yo All-Star FA, and ruin a rivals' summer all at the same time?

So yeah, teams are gonna try to woo him.

What about a S&T where the Wolves send assets (11th, Saric, Okogie, Teague expiring) to Brooklyn and then Brooklyn reroute those assets along some of their own to trade for an Allstar (AD? ), then sign a max FA?
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,150

Post#7 » by Revived » Tue Jun 4, 2019 9:29 pm

lonzo_pelota wrote:which of those teams states have best legal marijuana laws will be D-Lo's agents question?

Back to the Lakers if that’s his priority.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by lonzo_pelota » Tue Jun 4, 2019 9:35 pm

Revived wrote:
lonzo_pelota wrote:which of those teams states have best legal marijuana laws will be D-Lo's agents question?

Back to the Lakers if that’s his priority.

lakers probably wouldn't waste valuable cap space on a longshot restricted free agent the nets can and will match if they swing and miss on kyrie, dlo could come back to the lakers since his biggest haters Magic & Nick Young are long gone
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#9 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:13 am

Killboard wrote:I'm fine with the Wolves making an effort, but probably would be a S&T since the wolves don't have cap space and very few ways to get under.

No way in hell would I trade RoCo and his low contract to pay Russell the max.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#10 » by Killboard » Wed Jun 5, 2019 3:19 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Killboard wrote:I'm fine with the Wolves making an effort, but probably would be a S&T since the wolves don't have cap space and very few ways to get under.

Not saying I agree with it, but if the interest is real you have to give more than others. Roco is as good of complementary player as it gets, and his deal is MVP value, but the contract is peaking as it expires, and Roco performance doesn't necessarily peaks along KAT.

Russell comes from a terrific season, Brooklyn could be selling high on him but if he peaks at 28- 29 along Kat, could be worth it.

Still, Roco value for Brooklyn shouldn't be a priority as an 11th, Saric/okogie RFA rights and Teague expiring if they are re routing assets to a third team.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,518

Post#11 » by dice » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:29 am

KGdaBom wrote:

yeah, that's even worse than the wiggins deal. hell, covington is the better player!

no team should give up real assets for the "privilege" of signing russell to a max deal...no team should even sign russell to a max deal!
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,392

Post#12 » by shrink » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:54 am

dice wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

yeah, that's even worse than the wiggins deal. hell, covington is the better player!

no team should give up real assets for the "privilege" of signing russell to a max deal...no team should even sign russell to a max deal!

This is how I feel too. Russell has had one good season, and with all the cap space this summer, somebody is going to put him on a max deal. I don’t think he’s worth it, and I especially wouldn’t give up assets to have him on a max deal. I think that’s going to be a bad contract.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,034

Post#13 » by JazzUte88 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 5:10 am

I wouldn't mind seeing Utah get him. But the weed laws here suck for him so I doubt he wants to.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,034

Post#14 » by JazzUte88 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 6:39 am

Legal Teams: LA Lakers, LA Clippers, Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings, Portland Trail Blazers, Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Boston Celtics, Washington Wizards, Toronto Raptors, and Chicago Bulls (already decriminalized, legal soon)...

Decriminalized (not sure on local laws): Minnesota Timberwolves, New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, Charlotte Hornets
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by lonzo_pelota » Wed Jun 5, 2019 6:52 am

UtahJazzFan88 wrote:

Legal Teams: LA Lakers, LA Clippers, Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings, Portland Trail Blazers, Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Boston Celtics, Washington Wizards, Toronto Raptors, and Chicago Bulls (already decriminalized, legal soon)...

Decriminalized (not sure on local laws): Minnesota Timberwolves, New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, Charlotte Hornets

nice work
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Wed Jun 5, 2019 11:10 am

Killboard wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Not saying I agree with it, but if the interest is real you have to give more than others. Roco is as good of complementary player as it gets, and his deal is MVP value, but the contract is peaking as it expires, and Roco performance doesn't necessarily peaks along KAT.

Russell comes from a terrific season, Brooklyn could be selling high on him but if he peaks at 28- 29 along Kat, could be worth it.

Still, Roco value for Brooklyn shouldn't be a priority as an 11th, Saric/okogie RFA rights and Teague expiring if they are re routing assets to a third team.

Wiggins is the player the Wolves would need to trade to sign Russell, not RoCo, although finding a taker would be nearly impossible.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#17 » by Killboard » Wed Jun 5, 2019 11:56 am

The_Hater wrote:
Killboard wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:No way in hell would I trade RoCo and his low contract to pay Russell the max.

Wiggins is the player the Wolves would need to trade to sign Russell, not RoCo, although finding a taker would be nearly impossible.

I'm acting as if Wiggins trade value is negative. If there is a deal on the table for positive assets then the wolves should have done that already IMO.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#18 » by 23artest23 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:13 pm

Whoever gives this guy the max (or anything close to it) is making a monumental mistake that will set the respective franchise back several years. It will be a huge mistake and I fully expect someone will make it. I'm pretty sure the Pacers know better and doubt they truly have interest.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#19 » by Killboard » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:15 pm

shrink wrote:
dice wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:No way in hell would I trade RoCo and his low contract to pay Russell the max.

This is how I feel too. Russell has had one good season, and with all the cap space this summer, somebody is going to put him on a max deal. I don’t think he’s worth it, and I especially wouldn’t give up assets to have him on a max deal. I think that’s going to be a bad contract.

He is coming from a great season and I Can totally see how he could regress. Still he is young and the fit is good since the wolves lack playmaking and shooting and his age is perfect fit along KAT (they are also close buddies).

Ideally Rosas can find a version of Lakers Russell to buy low, but if he is confident on making a winning team around Russell then I could get behind.

Russell/Jones
Wiggins/min Rose
Covington/KBD
MLE/Deng
Towns/Dieng

If there is additional trades to unload Wiggins or Dieng would be of massive help.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#20 » by Killboard » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:16 pm

shrink wrote:
dice wrote:

He is coming from a great season and I Can totally see how he could regress. Still he is young and the fit is good since the wolves lack playmaking and shooting and his age is perfect fit along KAT (they are also close buddies).

Ideally Rosas can find a version of Lakers Russell to buy low, but if he is confident on making a winning team around Russell then I could get behind.

Russell/Jones
Wiggins/min Rose
Covington/KBD
MLE/Deng
Towns/Dieng

If there is additional trades to unload Wiggins or Dieng would be of massive help.

Return to Wiretap Discussion