ImageImage

Potential Offseason Moves

Moderator: SD2042

Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#161 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 4, 2019 9:10 pm

How about this option, Suns.

Trade down from 6 with Atlanta for 8 & 10, if their player of interest lands at 6. Use the 10th pick to select NAW & trade the 8th with Warren for Conley?.
VCfor3
Veteran
Posts: 2,863
And1: 1,314
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#162 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:10 pm

Whole Truth wrote:How about this option, Suns.

Trade down from 6 with Atlanta for 8 & 10, if their player of interest lands at 6. Use the 10th pick to select NAW & trade the 8th with Warren for Conley?.


Atlanta wouldn't do that though. It sounds like 3 for 8+10 was discussed for RJ, but the players from 4-8 are pretty similar so two shots in the top 10 is likely better than one. You may be able to get 10+Prince for 6 and then 10+Warren can go out for Conley.
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#163 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:57 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:How about this option, Suns.

Trade down from 6 with Atlanta for 8 & 10, if their player of interest lands at 6. Use the 10th pick to select NAW & trade the 8th with Warren for Conley?.


Atlanta wouldn't do that though. It sounds like 3 for 8+10 was discussed for RJ, but the players from 4-8 are pretty similar so two shots in the top 10 is likely better than one. You may be able to get 10+Prince for 6 and then 10+Warren can go out for Conley.


Cavs are interested in RJ.

Hawks want Culver. They think he's their Clay Thompson to Youngs, Curry.

If the Hawks land at No. 2, they won’t draft Morant. League sources told SN last week that, heading into the process, the Hawks favor Texas Tech wing Jarrett Culver, believing that his blend of athleticism and defensive prowess will make for a smooth transition to the league and that he can develop enough of a 3-point shot to be effective in the NBA.

https://clutchpoints.com/hawks-rumors-atlanta-would-pass-on-ja-morant-no-2-pick-targeting-jarrett-culver/

If Culver falls to 6, with Knicks taking RJ & Lakers drafting Garland... Cavs are rumored to Hunter, if LA pass on him.

So if Suns don't have Garland fall into their lap at 6, Culver could be there at 6 where they wouldn't want to add another wing to a glut of wings that need playing time to develop & fit in.
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#164 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 4, 2019 11:17 pm

If I were the Knicks, I'd exploit both Cavs & Atlanta.

Draft RJ at 3, if LA pass on Culver trade back with Cavs for Multiple assets then use the 6th pick Culver to net the 8th & 10th picks from Atlanta, maybe get a FRP & Thompson out of Cavs, to pair with Durant..

Effectively trading #3 RJ for Thompson, FRP, #8, #10.
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,394
And1: 1,779
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#165 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 3:39 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:How about this option, Suns.

Trade down from 6 with Atlanta for 8 & 10, if their player of interest lands at 6. Use the 10th pick to select NAW & trade the 8th with Warren for Conley?.


Atlanta wouldn't do that though. It sounds like 3 for 8+10 was discussed for RJ, but the players from 4-8 are pretty similar so two shots in the top 10 is likely better than one. You may be able to get 10+Prince for 6 and then 10+Warren can go out for Conley.


Cavs are interested in RJ.

Hawks want Culver. They think he's their Clay Thompson to Youngs, Curry.

If the Hawks land at No. 2, they won’t draft Morant. League sources told SN last week that, heading into the process, the Hawks favor Texas Tech wing Jarrett Culver, believing that his blend of athleticism and defensive prowess will make for a smooth transition to the league and that he can develop enough of a 3-point shot to be effective in the NBA.

https://clutchpoints.com/hawks-rumors-atlanta-would-pass-on-ja-morant-no-2-pick-targeting-jarrett-culver/

If Culver falls to 6, with Knicks taking RJ & Lakers drafting Garland... Cavs are rumored to Hunter, if LA pass on him.

So if Suns don't have Garland fall into their lap at 6, Culver could be there at 6 where they wouldn't want to add another wing to a glut of wings that need playing time to develop & fit in.


I was under the impression that the Hawks own Kevin Huenter was their Klay Thompson. If Culver is whom the Hawks seek, then what has change about Huenter's game that's making the Hawks potentially give up on Huenter?
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#166 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 5, 2019 7:18 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Atlanta wouldn't do that though. It sounds like 3 for 8+10 was discussed for RJ, but the players from 4-8 are pretty similar so two shots in the top 10 is likely better than one. You may be able to get 10+Prince for 6 and then 10+Warren can go out for Conley.


Cavs are interested in RJ.

Hawks want Culver. They think he's their Clay Thompson to Youngs, Curry.

If the Hawks land at No. 2, they won’t draft Morant. League sources told SN last week that, heading into the process, the Hawks favor Texas Tech wing Jarrett Culver, believing that his blend of athleticism and defensive prowess will make for a smooth transition to the league and that he can develop enough of a 3-point shot to be effective in the NBA.

https://clutchpoints.com/hawks-rumors-atlanta-would-pass-on-ja-morant-no-2-pick-targeting-jarrett-culver/

If Culver falls to 6, with Knicks taking RJ & Lakers drafting Garland... Cavs are rumored to Hunter, if LA pass on him.

So if Suns don't have Garland fall into their lap at 6, Culver could be there at 6 where they wouldn't want to add another wing to a glut of wings that need playing time to develop & fit in.


I was under the impression that the Hawks own Kevin Huenter was their Klay Thompson. If Culver is whom the Hawks seek, then what has change about Huenter's game that's making the Hawks potentially give up on Huenter?


The player comp is mine, is it not apt?.

I don't know what the Hawks intentions are with Heunter, what I know is who & what they are rumored to covet in this draft. That's Culver & his 3pt shooting.

Is Culver being targeted to replace Heunter? IDK
Do they want to play Culver at SF with Heunter? IDK

What I do know, is that Hawks are prioritizing & building an identity on 3pt shooting where RJ shot 66% from the line & 30% from 3.

Side note: Culver posted a 45" vert in the Lakers workout.
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#167 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 5, 2019 7:19 pm

SD I see your Magic worked out KJ. Any takes?.
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,394
And1: 1,779
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#168 » by SD2042 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:22 am

Whole Truth wrote:SD I see your Magic worked out KJ. Any takes?.



My thoughts on him is that he's a likely 3&D role player for a team. He does need to improve his perimeter offense and dribbling ability. Defensively he's seems reliable enough with his energy and hustle plays. His body language and interview tells me he's content with the role he's willing to play for the duration of his career. If he improves some areas of his game in the long run, KJ may carve a career with a team for years to come. I just don't see the Magic being that team.



https://www.nba.com/magic/videos/draft-workouts/orlando-magic-keldon-johnson-interview-20190603
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#169 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 6, 2019 2:33 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:SD I see your Magic worked out KJ. Any takes?.



My thoughts on him is that he's a likely 3&D role player for a team. He does need to improve his perimeter offense and dribbling ability. Defensively he's seems reliable enough with his energy and hustle plays. His body language and interview tells me he's content with the role he's willing to play for the duration of his career. If he improves some areas of his game in the long run, KJ may carve a career with a team for years to come. I just don't see the Magic being that team.

https://www.nba.com/magic/videos/draft-workouts/orlando-magic-keldon-johnson-interview-20190603


Covington?.
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#170 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 6, 2019 2:52 pm

Straight trade with Minnesota.

(Conley 30m) for (Wiggins 24m, #11, FRP 2022 protected)

- Wiggins currently is a negative contract, one of the leagues worse producing contracts. Minnesota shed the remaining 2yrs of his contract saving 50m +, while netting the better overall player value in Conley.

- Memphis save 5m this offseason, though they take on 2 additional years. Which might help them with other current FA/RFA options.

- Memphis heading into a rebuild take a shot at recovering Wiggins value, playing a different style & pace than Minnesota, with Ja pushing pace & Wiggins being if anything, a quick athlete. Value, risk, compensated, with the 11th & future 2022 pick.

- Minnesota who are looking for better guard play, net Conley who's still producing like an Allstar. They do it in combination with dropping 50m in committed salary.

- For the production value of Wiggins to Conley & the 50m difference in money saved, Memphis ask for the 11th & 2022 pick as compensation.

Jonas / (#11 Hayes or Bruno) / Rabb
3J / Parsons
Bruno - Anderson
Wiggins - Holiday
Ja / Wright / Carter

+ 2022 pick.
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#171 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:34 pm

Heat have been linked to the partially guaranteed contracts of Bradley & JR. Smith.

Here's why

Heat plan to buyout Anderson by the 10th.

“If the Heat buys out Ryan Anderson as expected by a July 10 deadline, Miami’s cap commitments for next season (including its first-round draft pick) would be about $137 million – about $5 million above the tax threshold.

Buying out Smith or Bradley gets them under the tax threshold.

((Olynyk 12m or Waiters 11m), 13th) for (Bradley) 13m, 2m guaranteed = 12-13m cap savings for Heat in a 2m buyout.
or
(J.Johnson 15m, 13th) for (Smith) 15m, 4m guaranteed = 11m cap savings for heat in a 4m buyout.
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#172 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:55 pm

If Memphis could trade Bradley's partially guaranteed contract for either Olynyk or Waiters & the 13th pick.

Memphis trade - (Conley, Waiters) to Minnesota for (Teague, Dieng, 11th)

Memphis flip - (Teague, (11th NAW)) to Suns for (Johnson, 6th)

Memphis essentially trade - (Conley, Bradley) for (Dieng, T.Johnson, 6th, 13th)

- Heat trade a bad contract with the 13th for a partially guaranteed Bradley to get under the tax threshold.
- Suns net Teague who can help them now & get the 11th to draft NAW for their future at the position.
- Memphis trade the best player in deal & take on salary to net the 6th & 13th pick in a rebuild.
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#173 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:16 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn

Brooklyn is trading Allen Crabbe and No. 17 pick in 2019 NBA Draft and protected first in 2020 to Atlanta for Taurean Prince and 2021 second-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

5,195
4:29 PM - Jun 6, 2019


My first assumption here, is that Atlanta thinks it's too steep a price to use 8 & 10 to trade up, they probably want Hayes or Bruno in that range to give up both picks.

I'm thinking they package 8 & 17 to net Culver between 3-6 & take a big man at 10. Question here would be, who's trading down?.

The alternative is Atlanta is building a pick trade package for a star player. Only 2 teams have star players looking to rebuild. Beal/Davis?. Atlanta could effectively put together a good package for either player. They would have more control targeting Beal.

NJ using picks & future picks to clear cap means they're most likely landing Irving +1, question is, who's the +1 ?.
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#174 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:34 pm

Irving landing in NJ is great news for Memphis. All they need now is for Charlotte to re-sign Kemba to the supermax.
tv24lakers
Junior
Posts: 400
And1: 90
Joined: May 24, 2019
 

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#175 » by tv24lakers » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:57 pm

I would appreciate your feedback on the below trade

The Lakers send Ball (8.7m), Ingram (7.3m), Bonga (1.4m) and the #4 in return for Mike Conley (32.5m), Jaren Jackson (6.9m) and Delon Wright (3.6m)

*2019/2020 salary denoted in parenthesis.

Why may this appeal to the Lakers?
You have an All-star PG that can stretch the floor to play alongside Lebron. Should Conley not meet expectations the 2020//2021 season his stock raises given the expiring contract. Jaren Jackson is a promising young PF and Delon Wright is a talented young backup PG on a very reasonable priced contract.
Swapping players the Lakers add +25m in salaries, but would in effect have 3 additional solid contributors. An approx. $17.5m would remain to spend in free agency to fulfill any remaining gaps.

Why may this appeal to the Grizzlies?
With Ja Morant on the way in it seems logical to move out Conley and his big contract. I recognize Morant and Ball play the same position, but he can certainly rotate to the 2 or play 6th man. Effectively and additional $25m is now available in salary room to use as you see best fit.
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,394
And1: 1,779
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#176 » by SD2042 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 11:22 pm

Whole Truth wrote:If Memphis could trade Bradley's partially guaranteed contract for either Olynyk or Waiters & the 13th pick.

Memphis trade - (Conley, Waiters) to Minnesota for (Teague, Dieng, 11th)

Memphis flip - (Teague, (11th NAW)) to Suns for (Johnson, 6th)

Memphis essentially trade - (Conley, Bradley) for (Dieng, T.Johnson, 6th, 13th)

- Heat trade a bad contract with the 13th for a partially guaranteed Bradley to get under the tax threshold.
- Suns net Teague who can help them now & get the 11th to draft NAW for their future at the position.
- Memphis trade the best player in deal & take on salary to net the 6th & 13th pick in a rebuild.



Bradley's contract was not grandfathered into the previous CBA agreement like J.R. Smith's contract. Miami would eat that contract until the 2020 summer offseason. The Heat could inquire about Smith and perhap George Hill's contracts if they desire to get out from under the tax that badly.


Any trade involving Wiggins to Memphis is a no-go. Minnesota needed their asses handed to them for signing Wiggins to that enormous contract. The only way I see Wiggins getting traded is if a negative contract gets traded back in return. Maybe John Wall for instance?

As for Covington, Covington was signed to the right team at the right time in the Sixers. With Brent Brown as coach and former assistant of the Spurs, RC had access to a coach who once had former Spurs player Bruce Bowen, another 3&D player who was viable with the Spurs during the championship years.







One particular 3&D player I'm more intrigue with is Washington's Matisse Thybulle.




Thybulle is a good transition player on both ends of the floor. A great defensive terror if you're the opponent. His energetic and athleticism has been impressive. He's a hard worker who knows his role and is a good catch and shoot profilic player. The Magic have the oppoetunity to go after him if they have him on the radar.
User avatar
BarbaGrizz
Starter
Posts: 2,188
And1: 604
Joined: May 25, 2007
Location: Brazil
     

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#177 » by BarbaGrizz » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:51 am

Whole Truth wrote:Straight trade with Minnesota.

(Conley 30m) for (Wiggins 24m, #11, FRP 2022 protected)

- Wiggins currently is a negative contract, one of the leagues worse producing contracts. Minnesota shed the remaining 2yrs of his contract saving 50m +, while netting the better overall player value in Conley.

- Memphis save 5m this offseason, though they take on 2 additional years. Which might help them with other current FA/RFA options.

- Memphis heading into a rebuild take a shot at recovering Wiggins value, playing a different style & pace than Minnesota, with Ja pushing pace & Wiggins being if anything, a quick athlete. Value, risk, compensated, with the 11th & future 2022 pick.

- Minnesota who are looking for better guard play, net Conley who's still producing like an Allstar. They do it in combination with dropping 50m in committed salary.

- For the production value of Wiggins to Conley & the 50m difference in money saved, Memphis ask for the 11th & 2022 pick as compensation.

Jonas / (#11 Hayes or Bruno) / Rabb
3J / Parsons
Bruno - Anderson
Wiggins - Holiday
Ja / Wright / Carter

+ 2022 pick.

If the 2022 FRP is lightly protected this package can land Parsons, not Conley.
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#178 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:13 am

BarbaGrizz wrote:If the 2022 FRP is lightly protected this package can land Parsons, not Conley.


You think Parsons for Wiggins could net the 11th pick & a lightly protected 2022 pick for eating 3yrs of his contract?

If I were Minnesota I would sit on Wiggins contract in that case. They'd just be saving money where they're looking for a guard to contend now. I don't think Parsons expiring would peak their interest like Conley + 50m savings would. If Parsons expiring could net that package, Memphis should jump on that trade because the only reason to have cap when developing 3J & Ja is to help cultivate assets. The trade is landing the 11th pick & a lightly protected 2022 pick along with the potential to recover Wiggins value in a rebuild, where worse case it leads to another top 6 pick & a year, before he becomes a valuable expiring or trade filler.

Cap wise, it's also less of a cap hit for Memphis to trade Conley's salary for Wiggins.

- Parsons has 1 yr @ 24m = expiring
- Conley has 2 yrs @ 30m, 30m = 60m out
- Wiggins has 4 yrs @ 27m, 29m, 31m, 33m = 110m in

- Parsons contract for Wiggins = 86m in, over 4 yrs
- Conley's contract for Wiggins = 50m in, over 4 yrs

- Trading Conley for Wiggins = 3m TE for Memphis, for immediate savings.
- Trading Parsons for Wiggins = 3m TE for Minnesota

By keeping Parsons expiring. In Wiggins 2nd yr, the trade would be a 29m cap hit.
By keeping Conley. In Wiggins 2nd yr, the trade would be a 60m cap hit.

Behind the potential reclamation of Wiggins player value, 3J & Ja won't be competing for at least 2 of WIggins 4 yrs, maybe 3. Memphis would only have to eat one year difference at worse case before Wiggins contract at the very least can become a value expiring or large trade filler for a big money target. Memphis would then have the 2022 Minnesota pick asset at hand to put something around JA & 3J when they're ready to contend via trade. This not factoring that Wiggins could potentially turn his value around under a different style & pace of play or development coach. Olidipo was heading to his 3rd team before breaking out. In Indiana the way he attacks the basket, you can see Westbrooks influence on his leap in development which he doesn't experience, if he was still with Orlando.
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#179 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:07 am

tv24lakers wrote:I would appreciate your feedback on the below trade

The Lakers send Ball (8.7m), Ingram (7.3m), Bonga (1.4m) and the #4 in return for Mike Conley (32.5m), Jaren Jackson (6.9m) and Delon Wright (3.6m)

*2019/2020 salary denoted in parenthesis.

Why may this appeal to the Lakers?
You have an All-star PG that can stretch the floor to play alongside Lebron. Should Conley not meet expectations the 2020//2021 season his stock raises given the expiring contract. Jaren Jackson is a promising young PF and Delon Wright is a talented young backup PG on a very reasonable priced contract.
Swapping players the Lakers add +25m in salaries, but would in effect have 3 additional solid contributors. An approx. $17.5m would remain to spend in free agency to fulfill any remaining gaps.

Why may this appeal to the Grizzlies?
With Ja Morant on the way in it seems logical to move out Conley and his big contract. I recognize Morant and Ball play the same position, but he can certainly rotate to the 2 or play 6th man. Effectively and additional $25m is now available in salary room to use as you see best fit.


You're offering good asset value, it's enticing but Memphis would be better off keeping Jaren all things considered.

- Jaren & Ja are on their rookie scales for the next 3-4 yrs. Ball, Ingram excel the cap & player control in a scenario where Memphis is giving up Conley.

- Risk of Ingram & Ball's health concerns.

- The draft value falls off after the 3rd pick.

On the face of your trade it looks balanced but in reality Memphis becomes unstable with it. From the uncertainty of health, to uncertainty of pick to lost control of cap & player in a market Ingram, Ball could walk from...
Whole Truth
Veteran
Posts: 2,606
And1: 2,156
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#180 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:45 am

Fletcher Mackel

@FletcherWDSU

NBA source (who I trust a lot) told me tonight he thinks Boston is landing spot for Anthony Davis.

Says Tatum is player NOLA covets most.

Tatum, Smart (who @PelicansNBA also really like), filler (Williams, Ojeyele or Yabusele) & at least pick #14 this year.

I. Love. It!

If true LA really will have their backs against the wall. If Washington decides to hang on to Beal...

Return to Memphis Grizzlies