Carsen Edwards

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,747

Re: Carsen Edwards 

Post#41 » by eminence » Thu May 23, 2019 10:16 pm

I'd like him in Utah at #23 depending on who else is available. His success cases are almost exactly what we need.
I bought a boat.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#42 » by clyde21 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:21 pm

eminence wrote:I'd like him in Utah at #23 depending on who else is available. His success cases are almost exactly what we need.

i have THT mocked to Utah right now but Edwards makes some sense too...would rather try to go for a starter tho as Carsen is much more in that 6th man role type.
eminence
RealGM

Post#43 » by eminence » Thu May 23, 2019 10:25 pm

clyde21 wrote:
eminence wrote:I'd like him in Utah at #23 depending on who else is available. His success cases are almost exactly what we need.

i have THT mocked to Utah right now but Edwards makes some sense too...would rather try to go for a starter tho as Carsen is much more in that 6th man role type.

I'd probably go THT as well, but don't really have any reservations about where Edwards would fit in. Good 3rd guard with Donovan/Royce, don't mind if he starts or comes off the bench.
I bought a boat.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#44 » by clyde21 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:28 pm

eminence wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I'd probably go THT as well, but don't really have any reservations about where Edwards would fit in. Good 3rd guard with Donovan/Royce, don't mind if he starts or comes off the bench.

i think Carsen's lack of playmaking as a guard kind of prohibits him from ever really becoming a viable starter long-term, much more suitable as a microwave scorer off the bench type unless/until he improves the playmaking part of his offense.

i love the idea of two CGs in the back court for Utah like Mitchell/THT
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#45 » by Stillwater » Fri May 24, 2019 1:38 am

clyde21 wrote:
eminence wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

i think Carsen's lack of playmaking as a guard kind of prohibits him from ever really becoming a viable starter long-term, much more suitable as a microwave scorer off the bench type unless/until he improves the playmaking part of his offense.

I would think Denver would love to grab him if they could but alas no pick.I think his floor is Charlotte at 36 but would not be shocked despite the age Utah pulled the trigger at 23 or Philly a pick later as is even without the playmaker card.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM

Post#46 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 9:55 pm

Stillwater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
eminence wrote:

I would think Denver would love to grab him if they could but alas no pick.I think his floor is Charlotte at 36 but would not be shocked despite the age Utah pulled the trigger at 23 or Philly a pick later as is even without the playmaker card.

i don't think he's dropping below 22. he should be in everyone's top 25. he's too good.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#47 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 6:37 pm

clyde21 wrote:wouldn't be surprised if we see Edwards go as high as 15 (Detroit).
Think Boston would be interested at #14 if they plan on letting Rozier and Kyrie walk?

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
clyde21
RealGM

Post#48 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 6:44 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:wouldn't be surprised if we see Edwards go as high as 15 (Detroit).
Think Boston would be interested at #14 if they plan on letting Rozier and Kyrie walk?

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

possibly, though I have them taking Herro at 14 right now. i think both will be Celtics targets tho, along with Goga, and possibly Keldon/Jerome.
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#49 » by gundysmullet » Tue Jun 4, 2019 7:59 pm

Honest question; isn’t he basically a 5’11 shooting guard? I mean I don’t think he has any discernible point guard skills whatsoever.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#50 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:02 pm

gundysmullet wrote:Honest question; isn’t he basically a 5’11 shooting guard? I mean I don’t think he has any discernible point guard skills whatsoever.

he has the handles of a lead guard, but yea, playmaking leaves a lot to be desired.

if he were a good playmaker, I'd have him as a top 10 guy. he's that good at everything else.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#51 » by gundysmullet » Tue Jun 4, 2019 9:43 pm

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Honest question; isn’t he basically a 5’11 shooting guard? I mean I don’t think he has any discernible point guard skills whatsoever.

he has the handles of a lead guard, but yea, playmaking leaves a lot to be desired.

if he were a good playmaker, I'd have him as a top 10 guy. he's that good at everything else.

I agree 100%. But he is a 511 shooting guard. I just cannot see his game translating to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#52 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 9:47 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I agree 100%. But he is a 511 shooting guard. I just cannot see his game translating to the NBA.

who cares if hes 511? dude can get his shot off at any time he wants, and has a 6-7 wingspan
eminence
RealGM

Post#53 » by eminence » Tue Jun 4, 2019 9:56 pm

Yeah, don't really get the height concerns. He'll almost certainly be listed 6'0 (6'1 in college) there are a fair number of successful NBA guards that size these days (CP3/Bledsoe/Lowry/Conley/Kemba/Beverley/Collison/Lou/etc)
I bought a boat.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#54 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 11:15 pm

eminence wrote:Yeah, don't really get the height concerns. He'll almost certainly be listed 6'0 (6'1 in college) there are a fair number of successful NBA guards that size these days (CP3/Bledsoe/Lowry/Conley/Kemba/Beverley/Collison/Lou/etc)

hes much stronger/longer than Trae too, it's a non issue
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#55 » by Goudelock » Tue Jun 4, 2019 11:21 pm

I'd be shocked if Carsen Edwards was anything more than a end-of-bench guy. I had to scout him for a source I can't name, and I don't get the hype with the guy. He reminds me of Jimmer Fredette. Two strong but short guys with meh athleticism, no PG skills, and bad defense. Even in the tournament, he was living off of highly-contested shots: how is he going to do when he's having to get his shot off against longer defenders?

And even if you think he's a good enough shooter to play off-ball, then why would you draft him to play that role? I'd rather just roll the dice with someone who is taller and won't destroyed on defense, even if they're a worse shooter.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#56 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 11:49 pm

why would he get destroyed on defense when he's a good defender? are we watching two different players? :-?
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#57 » by gundysmullet » Tue Jun 4, 2019 11:56 pm

eminence wrote:Yeah, don't really get the height concerns. He'll almost certainly be listed 6'0 (6'1 in college) there are a fair number of successful NBA guards that size these days (CP3/Bledsoe/Lowry/Conley/Kemba/Beverley/Collison/Lou/etc)

They are all point guards, Edwards has zero court vision and point guard skills. Plus almost all of those players that you mentioned are taller than him
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#58 » by gundysmullet » Tue Jun 4, 2019 11:58 pm

PockyCandy wrote:I'd be shocked if Carsen Edwards was anything more than a end-of-bench guy. I had to scout him for a source I can't name, and I don't get the hype with the guy. He reminds me of Jimmer Fredette. Two strong but short guys with meh athleticism, no PG skills, and bad defense. Even in the tournament, he was living off of highly-contested shots: how is he going to do when he's having to get his shot off against longer defenders?

And even if you think he's a good enough shooter to play off-ball, then why would you draft him to play that role? I'd rather just roll the dice with someone who is taller and won't destroyed on defense, even if they're a worse shooter.

Ha, I was literally going to write Jimmer. I agree with everything that you wrote 100%. He was a phenomenal, dynamic scorer in college and was fun to watch. But at his size with zero discernible point guard skills I just don’t see how his game will translate into the NBA. I think unfortunately too many posters get emotionally invested and are unwilling, or unable to analyze things critically.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#59 » by gundysmullet » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:00 am

clyde21 wrote:why would he get destroyed on defense when he's a good defender? are we watching two different players? :-?

He was defending point guards in college. He will not have that luxury in the NBA.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#60 » by Monix » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:15 am

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:why would he get destroyed on defense when he's a good defender? are we watching two different players? :-?

He was defending point guards in college. He will not have that luxury in the NBA.

on Philly next to Simmons he'd primarily guard the point, could do the same thing if Butler was on the ball...

Return to NBA Draft