Post#21 » by 916fan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 8:35 am

clyde21 wrote:i have him as the 6th best SG, but it's a pretty strong SG class

THT
KPJ
Herro
Romeo
Keldon
NAW

Would highly disagree with this a lot. You look at all those SGs and almost every single one of them has a big flaw for a SG.

THT: struggles to shoot
KPJ: 41.2% from 3pt in 21 games, but also only 55% FT shooter. He's also a very poor passer for being ball dominant player.
Herro: the least athletic out of any of these guys with legitimate defensive concerns with his negative wingspan.
Romeo: struggles to shoot the 3 ball
Keldon:
NAW:

Keldon and NAW are the only 2 SGs who don't have a clear-cut negative in their game. But Keldon is more of the jack of all trades type of SG, whereas NAW shows a very promising playmaking ability at the 2 slot.

NAW does every single thing you want your 2-guard to be able to do. He can shoot 3s. He can move off-ball. He can handle the rock. He can operate in PnR. He gets to the line. He's a decent defender.

I'm really not sure what else NAW would need to do to prove that he's better than all those other guys. For me, he's already done it. There's very little flaws in his game as it stands right now. Only things I would knock him down for are his lack of strength and sloppy TOs.

I hardly EVER make outlandish claims like a lot of posters here do in trying to go against the grain. But with NAW, I really don't understand how he's not a consensus legitimate top 10 prospect among the draft community. Seems like he's just lost in all the discussion because he's at VT and he's not 18.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Re: Nickeil Alexander-Walker 

Post#22 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 9:46 am

916fan wrote:

THT
KPJ
Herro
Romeo
Keldon
NAW

Would highly disagree with this a lot. You look at all those SGs and almost every single one of them has a big flaw for a SG.

KPJ: 41.2% from 3pt in 21 games, but also only 55% FT shooter. He's also a very poor passer for being ball dominant player.
Herro: the least athletic out of any of these guys with legitimate defensive concerns with his negative wingspan.
Keldon:
NAW:

Keldon and NAW are the only 2 SGs who don't have a clear-cut negative in their game. But Keldon is more of the jack of all trades type of SG, whereas NAW shows a very promising playmaking ability at the 2 slot.

NAW does every single thing you want your 2-guard to be able to do. He can shoot 3s. He can move off-ball. He can handle the rock. He can operate in PnR. He gets to the line. He's a decent defender.

I'm really not sure what else NAW would need to do to prove that he's better than all those other guys. For me, he's already done it. There's very little flaws in his game as it stands right now. Only things I would knock him down for are his lack of strength and sloppy TOs.

I hardly EVER make outlandish claims like a lot of posters here do in trying to go against the grain. But with NAW, I really don't understand how he's not a consensus legitimate top 10 prospect among the draft community. Seems like he's just lost in all the discussion because he's at VT and he's not 18.

THT - i think he'll develop into a + shooter in the NBA, form is compact and quick and has really good shot versatility, i also think his playmaking is highly translatable as a CG, also outstanding measureables

KPJ - FT% is a negative he'll need to bring that up considerably I agree, but he's a better on-ball creator, better at getting his shots off and a better overall athlete

Herro - he's sneaky athletic, a better defender than given credit for and is the best pure shooter in the draft

Romeo - he shot much better in the second half of the year, hand injury could have affected him. I can buy having NAW over him but I think Romeo's ceiling is a bit higher as a creator.

and really, not necessarily a dig against NAW, I just like these guys better...NAW has a role to play, he's a good spot-up shooter with good size and can defend multiple positions, but I think the guys I listed above him have more potential to develop into starters than NAW.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#23 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 4:14 am

clyde21 wrote:i have him as the 6th best SG

THT
KPJ
Herro
Romeo
Keldon
NAW

a pretty good SG class IMO, some other intriguing guys too like Dort, Nowell, Sirvydis, Obiesie, Mann.

Don’t think some of those guys are SGs, specifically Mann, whose best shot is his corner 3. He’s more like a 3/4.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#24 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 4:24 am

916fan wrote:

THT
KPJ
Herro
Romeo
Keldon
NAW

Keldon:
NAW:

I have both Keldon and NAW as top 10 prospects. My only concern with NAW is his athletisism, I don't remember being blow away at all by his athletisism. His skills are great. But i worry about his athletic ability
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#25 » by NotACat » Sun Jun 2, 2019 6:30 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
916fan wrote:

THT
KPJ
Herro
Romeo
Keldon
NAW

Keldon:
NAW:

I have both Keldon and NAW as top 10 prospects. My only concern with NAW is his athletisism, I don't remember being blow away at all by his athletisism. His skills are great. But i worry about his athletic ability

People said the same thing for Shai. They're both functionally good athletes, but not dazzling.
Black Lives Matter
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#26 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 2, 2019 7:15 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
916fan wrote:

THT
KPJ
Herro
Romeo
Keldon
NAW

Keldon:
NAW:

how is Keldon a top 20 prospect let alone top 10? Subpar speed with ball in his bad handles, low release point etc... he lacks the dyanamic traits required to be a 2 guard and he's too small to play the 3 against starting 3's. He will run the floor in transition and make some dunks and pump his chest like a superstar, but at the end of the day he will be lucky if somebody takes a flier in the late first.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 8:50 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
916fan wrote:Would highly disagree with this a lot. You look at all those SGs and almost every single one of them has a big flaw for a SG.

Keldon:
NAW:

how is Keldon a top 20 prospect let alone top 10? Subpar speed with ball in his bad handles, low release point etc... he lacks the dyanamic traits required to be a 2 guard and he's too small to play the 3 against starting 3's. He will run the floor in transition and make some dunks and pump his chest like a superstar, but at the end of the day he will be lucky if somebody takes a flier in the late first.

They’re both kind of average players. Johnson is a good defender with solid size at the 2 and a developing jumper with athleticism. He’s kind of like a slower Terrance Ferguson with a better frame.

Alexander-Walker has more value if teams see him as a combo guard/back up handler because hes shown he can playmake a little. If that were the case, he has great size. But he’s quick, great finisher around the basket and has a great pull-up game who can score in transition. He’s just weak and doesn’t have a strong handle. If he puts the time in I think he can become a player worthy of a first round selection. And hes improved from last year. Personally I just like a good amount of guys ahead of him.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#28 » by pelifan » Sun Jun 2, 2019 9:19 pm

The only questions with alexander walker are his frame and his loose handle. He's got a quick first step, I love his passing, he's a good shooter. I think people just dont see him as a potential all nba player like KPJ, THT, Langford or whatever. But the reality the chance they are is like .1%. Think people get too caught up in the best case scenario for every prospect when in reality most first round picks are looking at careers as bench journeymen and Alexander Walker could be a really good starter or even an allstar.

But he has skills you want on a winning team even if he never improves, and you cant say that about the other guys.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#29 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 9:34 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
916fan wrote:Would highly disagree with this a lot. You look at all those SGs and almost every single one of them has a big flaw for a SG.

Keldon:
NAW:

Keldon has extremely quick feet. Is very strong and shoots well when wide open.

He is a great defender and he shoots well when wide open.

A great defender who can contribute offensively is a player that can be a rotational piece for ANY team.

Keldon Johnson during his 18year old freshman season is already better than Alphonso McCkiney who is playing in he NBA finals.

Historically a player who can be a top 9 guy in a rotation for 5+ years is worth being drafted before pick 20. Since I think Keldon was good enough at 18 to be playing 15+ minutes in the NBA finals I have him as a very "safe" prospect.

I see his defense as very high level and his ability to hit an open shot as the ability to contribute offensively. I may move NAW above him or Culver or Reddish. But since I am SO sure Keldons defense will translate I have him as a very safe pick.

High floor is very important to me. For instance I had Mikal Bridges as a top 7 draft pick last year and DeAndre Hunter top 5 this year. 3 and. D wings are very valuable.

Keldon does have awful ball skills, but he's is competitive and he plays great defense, rebounds very well wants to win and hits open 3 point shots at the college level at a .384 clip.

Keldon is a very safe pick Imo most don't see him as having upside like a THT.

But players like THT have to develop a jump shot to succeed if were just going to draft players based on imagining them adding skills then I can imagine Keldon becoming a a better 3 point shooter.

Keldon is one of the safest players in this draft because of his defense and 3 point shooting, and 3D wings are maybe the most in demad position in the NBA right now.
7/1/2019
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#30 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 9:42 pm

pelifan wrote:The only questions with alexander walker are his frame and his loose handle. He's got a quick first step, I love his passing, he's a good shooter. I think people just dont see him as a potential all nba player like KPJ, THT, Langford or whatever. But the reality the chance they are is like .1%. Think people get too caught up in the best case scenario for every prospect when in reality most first round picks are looking at careers as bench journeymen and Alexander Walker could be a really good starter or even an allstar.

But he has skills you want on a winning team even if he never improves, and you cant say that about the other guys.

Exactly he is a very safe pick.

It's like, would you rather buy a lotto ticket for 10$ that pays 1000$ if you win or be givin 100$.
7/1/2019
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#31 » by NotACat » Sun Jun 2, 2019 9:51 pm

pelifan wrote:The only questions with alexander walker are his frame and his loose handle. He's got a quick first step, I love his passing, he's a good shooter. I think people just dont see him as a potential all nba player like KPJ, THT, Langford or whatever. But the reality the chance they are is like .1%. Think people get too caught up in the best case scenario for every prospect when in reality most first round picks are looking at careers as bench journeymen and Alexander Walker could be a really good starter or even an allstar.

Totally agree. I don't think its absurd to say that NAW may have an 75% chance to be a high level role player (starter). KPJ, THT, and Langford probably have a better chance of being an all-star, but again that's a 90+% outcome, and their chances of being a high level role player is definitely lower than NAW.
Black Lives Matter
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#32 » by pelifan » Sun Jun 2, 2019 10:26 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:

Exactly he is a very safe pick.

It's like, would you rather buy a lotto ticket for 10$ that pays 1000$ if you win or be givin 100$.

I mean even beyond that though prospects can surprise you. I dont think anyone thought Devin Booker would be what he is right now.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#33 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 2, 2019 10:34 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:

A great defender who can contribute offensively is a player that can be a rotational piece for ANY team.

Keldon Johnson during his 18year old freshman season is already better than Alphonso McCkiney who is playing in he NBA finals.

Historically a player who can be a top 9 guy in a rotation for 5+ years is worth being drafted before pick 20. Since I think Keldon was good enough at 18 to be playing 15+ minutes in the NBA finals I have him as a very "safe" prospect.

I see his defense as very high level and his ability to hit an open shot as the ability to contribute offensively. I may move NAW above him or Culver or Reddish. But since I am SO sure Keldons defense will translate I have him as a very safe pick.

High floor is very important to me. For instance I had Mikal Bridges as a top 7 draft pick last year and DeAndre Hunter top 5 this year. 3 and. D wings are very valuable.

Keldon does have awful ball skills, but he's is competitive and he plays great defense, rebounds very well wants to win and hits open 3 point shots at the college level at a .384 clip.

But players like THT have to develop a jump shot to succeed if were just going to draft players based on imagining them adding skills then I can imagine Keldon becoming a a better 3 point shooter.

Keldon is one of the safest players in this draft because of his defense and 3 point shooting, and 3D wings are maybe the most in demad position in the NBA right now.

I disagree. his on ball defense is meh too slow and gets beat easily against pro level first steps. He has poor positioning habits, poor recognition off ball and cannot defend guards at the next level imo.
He has average explosiveness at best but should be able to attack closeouts catch and shoot and needs to develop as a creator if he wants to be anything more than an end of rotation player.
I think his floor is pretty low
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#34 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 12:25 am

Stillwater wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:how is Keldon a top 20 prospect let alone top 10? Subpar speed with ball in his bad handles, low release point etc... he lacks the dyanamic traits required to be a 2 guard and he's too small to play the 3 against starting 3's. He will run the floor in transition and make some dunks and pump his chest like a superstar, but at the end of the day he will be lucky if somebody takes a flier in the late first.

I disagree. his on ball defense is meh too slow and gets beat easily against pro level first steps. He has poor positioning habits, poor recognition off ball and cannot defend guards at the next level imo.
He has average explosiveness at best but should be able to attack closeouts catch and shoot and needs to develop as a creator if he wants to be anything more than an end of rotation player.
I think his floor is pretty low

Agree to disagree?
7/1/2019
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#35 » by SlowPaced » Tue Jun 4, 2019 1:38 am

NAW is one of my favorite prospects in the draft. I'm high on him in the same way I was high on Donovan Mitchell two years ago. Time will tell he lives up to my expectations.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 1:54 pm

I have to admit, I really think he’s a smart kid. He was really aware of his weakness going into his second year and he went to a school that pretty much plays like an NBA team. Then I was listening to some of his interviews and you can tell he’s a smart, thoughtful guy. He knows who he is as a person and is confident in the stuff he says. He also says he is good friends with Donovan Mitchell.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#37 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 6:41 pm

he's def a smart guy and he's aware of his weaknesses and is willing to work on them

that said, he's still a bit too mechanical in his movements for my taste, like he's a good athlete but not necessarily a graceful or smooth one IMO, a lot of wasted movements when he's running to the basket, still no semblance of a pull-up or mid range game really.

he def has a role to play tho, good size, multi-position defender possibly and can hit 3s at a good clip and is a decent playmaker. he's the future 6th man IMO in that CG type/role.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#38 » by mojo13 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:23 pm

Red Team Scouting seems pretty high on him:
Read on Twitter

Long thread worth the read.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,603

Post#39 » by youngthegiant » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:48 am

Best Guard in this draft. Will be a top 5 player from this draft class.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#40 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:47 pm

definitely on my watch list should he be there at 18. many others mentioned in this thread will be too,
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to NBA Draft