Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Re: Carsen Edwards 

Post#61 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:19 am

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:why would he get destroyed on defense when he's a good defender? are we watching two different players? :-?

He was defending point guards in college. He will not have that luxury in the NBA.

okay? all these guys defended players in college...whats your point? what is it about his defense that you don't think translates?
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#62 » by gundysmullet » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:30 am

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:why would he get destroyed on defense when he's a good defender? are we watching two different players? :-?

He was defending point guards in college. He will not have that luxury in the NBA.

okay? all these guys defended players in college...whats your point? what is it about his defense that you don't think translates?

What do you mean, “what’s my point”? It wasn’t vague or nebulous. I specifically stated my point: he was able to guard point guards in college in the NBA he will not, he will be guarding shooting guards who are most likely on average will be 3 to 4 to 5 inches taller than him. He was a great college player and I loved watching him. I can’t see him doing anything in the NBA at all. Anything.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#63 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:33 am

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:He was defending point guards in college. He will not have that luxury in the NBA.

What do you mean, “what’s my point”? It wasn’t vague or nebulous. I specifically stated my point: he was able to guard point guards in college in the NBA he will not, he will be guarding shooting guards who are most likely on average will be 3 to 4 to 5 inches taller than him. He was a great college player and I loved watching him. I can’t see him doing anything in the NBA at all. Anything.

'he guarded college guards' isn't an argument. Zion guarded college wings. That's not an argument either. If you don't think his defense will translate, please be more specific.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#64 » by eminence » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:52 am

gundysmullet wrote:
eminence wrote:Yeah, don't really get the height concerns. He'll almost certainly be listed 6'0 (6'1 in college) there are a fair number of successful NBA guards that size these days (CP3/Bledsoe/Lowry/Conley/Kemba/Beverley/Collison/Lou/etc)

They are all point guards, Edwards has zero court vision and point guard skills. Plus almost all of those players that you mentioned are taller than him

That's just not even remotely true. But I guess I understand your feelings if you believe that. Why you believe that I have no idea.
I bought a boat.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#65 » by gundysmullet » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:53 am

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

'he guarded college guards' isn't an argument. Zion guarded college wings. That's not an argument either. If you don't think his defense will translate, please be more specific.

You apparently have no desire to have an honest discourse and discussion since you accused me of saying something that I did not say. I did not say that he guarded “college guards”. I said that he guarded point guards. Your intentional mischaracterization of my words is not appreciated. And Zion guarded power forwards. And what doesZion have to do with Carsen Edwards? I know your MO; you love to be combative and argumentative. I’m not interested.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#66 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:55 am

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:What do you mean, “what’s my point”? It wasn’t vague or nebulous. I specifically stated my point: he was able to guard point guards in college in the NBA he will not, he will be guarding shooting guards who are most likely on average will be 3 to 4 to 5 inches taller than him. He was a great college player and I loved watching him. I can’t see him doing anything in the NBA at all. Anything.

You apparently have no desire to have an honest discourse and discussion since you accused me of saying something that I did not say. I did not say that he guarded “college guards”. I said that he guarded point guards. Your intentional mischaracterization of my words is not appreciated. And Zion guarded power forwards. And what doesZion have to do with Carsen Edwards? I know your MO; you love to be combative and argumentative. I’m not interested.

okay, my mistake, 'college point guards'...again, what's your point? why do you think his defense won't translate? this is now the third time I've asked you to be more specific.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#67 » by gundysmullet » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:57 am

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

okay, my mistake, 'college point guards'...again, what's your point? why do you think his defense won't translate? this is now the third time I've asked you to be more specific.

OK, fine since you’re being civil I will give you another chance. Because he is undersized, i.e. too short and slight of build and small in stature to guard NBA shooting guards.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#68 » by eminence » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:59 am

PockyCandy wrote:I'd be shocked if Carsen Edwards was anything more than a end-of-bench guy. I had to scout him for a source I can't name, and I don't get the hype with the guy. He reminds me of Jimmer Fredette. Two strong but short guys with meh athleticism, no PG skills, and bad defense. Even in the tournament, he was living off of highly-contested shots: how is he going to do when he's having to get his shot off against longer defenders?

And even if you think he's a good enough shooter to play off-ball, then why would you draft him to play that role? I'd rather just roll the dice with someone who is taller and won't destroyed on defense, even if they're a worse shooter.

Defenders longer than Hunter? Who the hell is guarding him? Gobert?

But yes, that is Edwards entire appeal, he appears to be able to get by on difficult shots. Players who can do that are insanely valuable. Will he do it? Ehh, probably not in all honestly, but even the chance that he might is a risk worth taking from the mid 1st on.
I bought a boat.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#69 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:05 am

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:You apparently have no desire to have an honest discourse and discussion since you accused me of saying something that I did not say. I did not say that he guarded “college guards”. I said that he guarded point guards. Your intentional mischaracterization of my words is not appreciated. And Zion guarded power forwards. And what doesZion have to do with Carsen Edwards? I know your MO; you love to be combative and argumentative. I’m not interested.

OK, fine since you’re being civil I will give you another chance. Because he is undersized, i.e. too short and slight of build and small in stature to guard NBA shooting guards.

except he's not undersized. he's 6 foot with a 6-7 wingspan, and is stronger and quick.

it seems like you're basing it on nothing more than short= bad defender
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#70 » by gundysmullet » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:26 am

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

except he's not undersized. he's 6 foot with a 6-7 wingspan, and is stronger and quick.

it seems like you're basing it on nothing more than short= bad defender

This is what I mean when I say that you are combative and argumentative just for the sake of it. 6 feet tall is short for a shooting guard, because he is not a point guard and will not be one in the NBA. I don’t even think he’ll make an NBA roster, and if he does I don’t think he will last through his first contract. But anyway you made your point and I made mine. We will have to agree to disagree.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#71 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:45 am

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:He was defending point guards in college. He will not have that luxury in the NBA.

I guess what we don't understand is why he wouldn't be guarding PGs in the NBA as well.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#72 » by gundysmullet » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:55 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I guess what we don't understand is why he wouldn't be guarding PGs in the NBA as well.

Because the point guard would be
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#73 » by HEZI » Wed Jun 5, 2019 3:28 am

How is it that guys like Fred Van Vleet and Quinn Cook can have success and thrive on the biggest stage there is but a guy like Carsen Edwards wont be able to? Is Patty Mills still in the league or no? DJ Augustin? Yogi Ferrell? Trey Burke? Try to convince me that any of those guys are more talented than Carsen Edwards.

I see Edwards having a better NBA career than a lot of dudes projected to go ahead of him
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
clyde21
RealGM

Post#74 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:46 am

gundysmullet wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:What do you mean, “what’s my point”? It wasn’t vague or nebulous. I specifically stated my point: he was able to guard point guards in college in the NBA he will not, he will be guarding shooting guards who are most likely on average will be 3 to 4 to 5 inches taller than him. He was a great college player and I loved watching him. I can’t see him doing anything in the NBA at all. Anything.

that's not how it works anymore, and again, Edwards has a 6-7 wingpsan. Stop acting like he's Isaiah Thomas (who would be well worth a lotto pick in any draft).
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#75 » by gundysmullet » Wed Jun 5, 2019 8:52 pm

HEZI wrote:How is it that guys like Fred Van Vleet and Quinn Cook can have success and thrive on the biggest stage there is but a guy like Carsen Edwards wont be able to? Is Patty Mills still in the league or no? DJ Augustin? Yogi Ferrell? Trey Burke? Try to convince me that any of those guys are more talented than Carsen Edwards.

I see Edwards having a better NBA career than a lot of dudes projected to go ahead of him

FVV and QC are point guards, CE is not. And they're both taller than CE, albeit not much. Mills I think is a pretty fair comparison to CE, but he came into the league 15 years ago. As to the other guys, again, pg's.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#76 » by gundysmullet » Wed Jun 5, 2019 8:53 pm

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

that's not how it works anymore, and again, Edwards has a 6-7 wingpsan. Stop acting like he's Isaiah Thomas (who would be well worth a lotto pick in any draft).

Good Lord, when people tell you that your argumentative, do you just ignore them, or are you in the least bit self reflective?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#77 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 9:26 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:

Good Lord, when people tell you that your argumentative, do you just ignore them, or are you in the least bit self reflective?

argumentative? what the hell are you talking about? you made a statement about Edwards' defense, I'm asking you to explain. if you don't want have a discussion why are you even posting?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#78 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 5, 2019 9:28 pm

FVV and QC are nowhere near real 'point guards'. They may take the ball up the court, and make a pass to a guy posting, but they don't run the offense like a true PG, or break a defense down like one. Edwards can be as much a PG as those two.

He wont ever be a starter, and may be limited to bit minutes (12-15mpg), but he is too good at scoring to not find a role in this league. A team needing offense should target him in R2. Someone like Orlando should double up at PG, take a true PG in R1 and target Edwards at 46.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#79 » by Notanoob » Wed Jun 5, 2019 11:50 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:FVV and QC are nowhere near real 'point guards'. They may take the ball up the court, and make a pass to a guy posting, but they don't run the offense like a true PG, or break a defense down like one. Edwards can be as much a PG as those two.

He wont ever be a starter, and may be limited to bit minutes (12-15mpg), but he is too good at scoring to not find a role in this league. A team needing offense should target him in R2. Someone like Orlando should double up at PG, take a true PG in R1 and target Edwards at 46.

VanVleet has a proven track record as a classic, traditional PG and was excellent at running the offense in college. Most importantly, he proved himself to be an excellent decision maker. Edwards has shown pretty clearly that he isn't an excellent decision maker and that he doesn't run an offense at the same level that basically every NBA PG had before making it to the league. At the very least, if Edwards is going to be your PG, you'll need a bigger player to actually initiate and run the offense.

PG sized SGs have made it in the NBA, but let's not pretend like plenty of them haven't failed for the expected reasons. Edward's ability to get his shot off in difficult situations and make them at a decent rate is unusually good, so he has much better chance than the average prospect of his archetype, but it's not at all unreasonable to doubt a prospect of this sort.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#80 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:03 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:FVV and QC are nowhere near real 'point guards'. They may take the ball up the court, and make a pass to a guy posting, but they don't run the offense like a true PG, or break a defense down like one. Edwards can be as much a PG as those two.

i highly doubt Edwards lasts till R2.

NBA teams are wayyy higher on him than people think, and rightfully so.

Return to NBA Draft