ImageImageImageImage

Expectation of Fultz

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,776

Re: Expectation of Fultz 

Post#161 » by Audi » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:10 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:Its so funny that we gave very little for him and he has a ceiling of true superstar. If Weltman fakes his excitement for Fultz he is a damn good actor.

We did gave up cap space. For player that has no timetable of return after being out for 8 months. Nurkić broke tibia and fibula in his foot and most optimistic timetable of his return early next season. Let's repeat this: Guy with 2 broken bones in his leg will, if that goes through, recover faster than guy who didn't need surgery.

Two completely different injuries, but okay.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,276

Post#162 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 7:03 pm

Audi wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:Its so funny that we gave very little for him and he has a ceiling of true superstar. If Weltman fakes his excitement for Fultz he is a damn good actor.

We did gave up cap space. For player that has no timetable of return after being out for 8 months. Nurkić broke tibia and fibula in his foot and most optimistic timetable of his return early next season. Let's repeat this: Guy with 2 broken bones in his leg will, if that goes through, recover faster than guy who didn't need surgery.

I would rather have nerve compression that requires physical therapy than finding myself on the floor with leg over my head, broken in part.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#163 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 7:07 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
thelead wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I'm just praying that he's in uniform game 1 this season. If he's still not ready to play by then, I will have lost nearly all the hope I currently have for him succeding with this team.

In 9 months, you’ll give up on him?

I would say that I would be a bit worried by January. He would have had, by then, over a year of rehab time.

I don't remember saying in that post that Id give up on him. The hope I currently have for him is that he will be ready by training camp and will be a big contributor to this team at some point next season.

If he misses all of next season or even 1/4th of the season he will have played 33 career games and will be due 12 million dollars the following year. We flat out need to see him for more than 15-20 games next year before we give picking up his option serious thought. Ideally, he plays the whole season or 3/4ths of it and it makes our decision alot easier, thats what im hoping for. If he doesn't, I worry about his future with this team.

That's not how things go.
Magic have to pick his 4th year option untill October 30 of 2019, 4th year option is $12,25M. Before season even starts, for next season.

Remember, that's how Hezonja played with Magic third season, despite Magic declining 4th year.
Teams pick up options one year in advance with rookies. That's different than picking team's option or player's option during contracct years. Philadelphia already picked up his 3rd year option last year, that's why Magic didn't have to.

That's why i said declining his 4th year option won't be out of question.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#164 » by swarlesbarkley » Wed Jun 5, 2019 7:33 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Audi wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

I would rather have nerve compression that requires physical therapy than finding myself on the floor with leg over my head, broken in part.

LOL. Pepe the doctor.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,373

Post#165 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jun 5, 2019 9:03 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:
thelead wrote:In 9 months, you’ll give up on him?

I would say that I would be a bit worried by January. He would have had, by then, over a year of rehab time.

I don't remember saying in that post that Id give up on him. The hope I currently have for him is that he will be ready by training camp and will be a big contributor to this team at some point next season.

If he misses all of next season or even 1/4th of the season he will have played 33 career games and will be due 12 million dollars the following year. We flat out need to see him for more than 15-20 games next year before we give picking up his option serious thought. Ideally, he plays the whole season or 3/4ths of it and it makes our decision alot easier, thats what im hoping for. If he doesn't, I worry about his future with this team.

Magic have to pick his 4th year option untill October 30 of 2019, 4th year option is $12,25M. Before season even starts, for next season.

Remember, that's how Hezonja played with Magic third season, despite Magic declining 4th year.
Teams pick up options one year in advance with rookies. That's different than picking team's option or player's option during contracct years. Philadelphia already picked up his 3rd year option last year, that's why Magic didn't have to.

Thanks for the correction. Thats just another reason why it would be really encouraging to see him participate in training camp/preseason and know that he will be playing and not just eating up salary on a team that is probably going to be looking to make a playoff push sooner rather than later.

I did not want to see him play a game last year in anticipation of him having a full extended offseason to get healthy and hopefully come in ready to contribute come next season. I won't be giving up on him come October if he still isnt ready but I will most certainly become quite a bit more nervous/pessimistic about the whole situation.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#166 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 9:09 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I don't remember saying in that post that Id give up on him. The hope I currently have for him is that he will be ready by training camp and will be a big contributor to this team at some point next season.

Thanks for the correction. Thats just another reason why it would be really encouraging to see him participate in training camp/preseason and know that he will be playing and not just eating up salary on a team that is probably going to be looking to make a playoff push sooner rather than later.

I did not want to see him play a game last year in anticipation of him having a full extended offseason to get healthy and hopefully come in ready to contribute come next season. I won't be giving up on him come October if he still isnt ready but I will most certainly become quite a bit more nervous/pessimistic about the whole situation.

I hoped that he would play 1 game of summer league. Felt like 8 months away from physical therapy is enough time, despite it's not commong for 3rd year players to play it.
Thankfully, training camps are open before deadline.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#167 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 9:10 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Audi wrote:

LOL. Pepe the doctor.

I still refuse to re-watch that fall again. I think over last 8+ years i only saw Livingstone injury once. I don't have stomach for it.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#168 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 10:20 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

LOL. Pepe the doctor.

I still refuse to re-watch that fall again. I think over last 8+ years i only saw Livingstone injury once. I don't have stomach for it.

No players deserve to go though those gruesome injuries. Very hard to watch especially when you see it happen live as it happens.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#169 » by thelead » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:09 am

pepe1991 wrote:
NotACat wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Image

Package him for top 50 protected pick, at least will save you money.
Regardless, declining his 4th year is complete no brainer. Nobody with any sense of brain will offer him $12M a year. That's salary range of JJ Redick, Walker, Vučević, Patty MIlls, Nurkić, Bogdanovic, Joe Ingles.... (current contracts)

I think we have to pick up the 4th year option to ensure he's our RFA next summer.

it's like Hezonja's situation.
If it's declined Magic can't offer more or less than $12,25M .

Others can offer more years or more money ( or less ) . But i highly doubt anybody will offer more than $12,25M . At least on one year deal.

If in some scenario Magic move him this year for future picks and not guaranteed salary, and they streach Mozgov, out of nowhere , they would free up a LOT of cap space ( for example traded for not fully guaranteed JR Smith's contract and streaching Mozgov would lower Magic base salary from projected $88M to 70M , that includes $16 pick in it, Out of nowhere Magic would operate with $38M of space). I don't think that it will happen , but it's another possible option.

I just find it fishy that they are targeting guards so much in this rumors , it just yells that Fultz is not part of long term plans and progress is slow ( or there is no progress ). 8 months since he left the league nobody filmed him even shooting once in empty gym. It's massive red flag.

You’re right! We had so many great free agents lining up to use all of that free cap space from dumping Hezonja. We should do that again with a much better player to sign other great free agents that are lining up to play in Orlando! We’re talking about a ONE year extension...
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 736

Post#170 » by CZ Eddie » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:33 am

Having had various broken bones in my life and suffering nerve damage in my left hand several years ago... I will take broken bones 100 out of 100 times over nerve damage.
Sure, the pain is gone from both injuries.
But that nerve damage is there forever and I can't get that full feeling or usage back.
The busted bones hurt longer but are all back to normal now.
Keep your politics out of my sports
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#171 » by Popsicle1228 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 2:22 am

CZ Eddie wrote:Having had various broken bones in my life and suffering nerve damage in my left hand several years ago... I will take broken bones 100 out of 100 times over nerve damage.
Sure, the pain is gone from both injuries.
But that nerve damage is there forever and I can't get that full feeling or usage back.
The busted bones hurt longer but are all back to normal now.

Same here. I have nerve damage in my left hand from a compression injury when I was in 7th grade. I am now in my 30s and have never gotten full strength or full feeling in a portion of my left hand. However, the bone in my wrist that was at one time broken is stronger after healing than it was prior to the break.

Nerve injuries are notoriously difficult to treat, and rarely heal. They do not regenerate like bones or other tissue in the body. For this reason there are few, if any, injuries worse than an injury that damages the nerves. This is especially true for an athlete. Unfortunately.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#172 » by spinedoc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:48 am

Agreed, true nerve damage is by far worse than broken bones. For example, it takes six weeks for bone to heal, up to a year for soft tissue, but you can't regenerate nerve tissue. I say true nerve damage, because you can have an injury where you merely have compression or stretching of the nerve, which give you similar freaky symptoms but can be corrected. An example is Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I expect Fultz to have a full recovery. Otherwise, we would have known already the severity of an oh my God scenario. The problem is the retraining and relearning of what used to come naturally. He still has to retrain neural pathways, which is a much different thing. I'm expecting him to be a solid backup at a minimum.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#173 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:03 am

Looks high as hell lol definitely not someone whose trying to play in Summer League in 3 weeks. #Bust #ByeFelicia

https://imgur.com/2EYVFtO
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#174 » by j-ragg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:53 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Looks high as hell lol definitely not someone whose trying to play in Summer League in 3 weeks. #Bust #ByeFelicia

I think he just has that permanent stoned look to his face. The droopy-eyed gene. (not that I'd care if he was)
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#175 » by swarlesbarkley » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:14 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Looks high as hell lol definitely not someone whose trying to play in Summer League in 3 weeks. #Bust #ByeFelicia

We already knew he wasn't playing in Summer League from a Weltman interview months ago.

Return to Orlando Magic