Pacers Draft Workouts 2019

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#1 » by Moooose » Tue May 21, 2019 4:37 am

https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacers-hold-two-pre-draft-workouts-tuesday-190521

First Workout Group:
Brian Bowen II (6'-7", 200 lbs., SF, Australia)
Ty Jerome (6'-5",195 lbs., PG/SG, Virginia)
Jaylen Nowell (6'-4", 200 lbs., PG/SG, Washington)
Josh Perkins (6'-3", 190 lbs., PG, Gonzaga)
Dylan Windler (6'-7", 195 lbs., SG/SF, Belmont)
Justin Wright-Foreman (6'-2", 190 lbs. PG/SG, Hofstra)

Second Workout Group
Nicolas Claxton (6'-11", 215 lbs., PF, Georgia)
Carsen Edwards (6'-0", 200 lbs., PG, Purdue)
C.J. Elleby (6'-6", 185 lbs., Washington State)
Martin Krampelj (6'-9", 235 lbs., Creighton)
Derrik Smits (7'-1", 240 lbs., C, Butler)
Lamar Stevens (6'-7", 230 lbs., SF/PF, Penn State)
Moooose
Starter

Re: Pacers Draft Workouts 2019 

Post#2 » by Moooose » Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 am

These first two workouts are for the 2nd round, with the exception of Ty Jerome who is at the borderline.

Brian Bowen to me is a bit overrated. Aside from scoring I don't see any other special attributes in him that should make his draft stock higher.

Ty Jerome. Would be a reach at the 18th spot. Smart and steady kid who will probably fit the team and will be checking a lot of boxes.

Dylan Windler. This kid should be a 1st rounder, but playing elsewhere might have resulted differently for him. A double-double machine who looks like Gallinari at times. Hard to gauge but talent is obvious. Best hometown prospect next to Langford, IMO.

Nicolas Claxton. Intriguing if he can make his outside shooting consistent. Combination of grit, interior defense, and perimeter shooting will surely draw attention. In my list he is ranked just below Kabengele.

Carsen Edwards. Though I like this kid a lot, there is a good possibility that he struggles in the bigger league against bigger opponents. Wouldn't be surprised if he is still available at 50.

Derrik Smits. I am surprised about this but who knows? Classy move that we will be giving Rik's son a shot at showing what he can do, but there are clearly a lot of better prospects playing in the same position.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 21, 2019 2:34 pm

Moooose wrote:These first two workouts are for the 2nd round, with the exception of Ty Jerome who is at the borderline.

Brian Bowen to me is a bit overrated. Aside from scoring I don't see any other special attributes in him that should make his draft stock higher.

I think he's simply intriguing because he "wasn't seen" since he was suspended at Louisville. Same probably goes for a Darius Baszley, who sat out the season to "intern"/sign a shoe deal for New Balance. The guys we haven't seen will almost always be intriguing.

Moooose wrote:Ty Jerome. Would be a reach at the 18th spot. Smart and steady kid who will probably fit the team and will be checking a lot of boxes.

Agreed. Borderline 1st kind of guy, but who knows what happens. Trade down? Or, just take the guy you like, even if it's a reach?

Moooose wrote:Dylan Windler. This kid should be a 1st rounder, but playing elsewhere might have resulted differently for him. A double-double machine who looks like Gallinari at times. Hard to gauge but talent is obvious. Best hometown prospect next to Langford, IMO.

I didn't realize he was a Perry Meridian grad. But yeah, dynamic talent. Put up 21/11 on 54/43/85% shooting this past year. Didn't put up great games against UCLA, Purdue, or Temple (round 1 of NCAA Tournament, but team won), but had a MONSTER game against Maryland in the tournament (35/11 hitting 7 3's). His previous seasons, he played well against Vanderbilt, Washington, and Georgia.

Moooose wrote:Nicolas Claxton. Intriguing if he can make his outside shooting consistent. Combination of grit, interior defense, and perimeter shooting will surely draw attention. In my list he is ranked just below Kabengele.

Don't know much about him, but seems to be a classic interior 4 (now 5) that's much more of a defender than anything else?

Moooose wrote:Carsen Edwards. Though I like this kid a lot, there is a good possibility that he struggles in the bigger league against bigger opponents. Wouldn't be surprised if he is still available at 50.

Yeah, we all know him, and he's probably more in the upper 2nd round, but could sneak into the 1st round. The undersized nature worries me, but he seems to be a true competitor. Someone you assume would get better, but who knows how much?

Moooose wrote:Derrik Smits. I am surprised about this but who knows? Classy move that we will be giving Rik's son a shot at showing what he can do, but there are clearly a lot of better prospects playing in the same position.

I assume Smits will ultimately drop out of the draft, so this might be kind of like the Kris Wilkes workout from last year where it's more for the future. He's already lined up a graduate transfer to Butler for his last college year, likely taking the Joey Brunk spot on the roster/court. Definitely an inside the arc big man, played well non-conference against Wake Forest, UNLV, and West Virginia.

Kid looks just like his dad on the court, too, and I love it!

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#4 » by Wizop » Wed May 22, 2019 7:22 am

pretty sure Smits plans to play for Butler and is just taking advantage of the opportunity to receive pro coaching.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Moooose
Starter

Post#5 » by Moooose » Wed May 22, 2019 9:58 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Moooose wrote:Nicolas Claxton. Intriguing if he can make his outside shooting consistent. Combination of grit, interior defense, and perimeter shooting will surely draw attention. In my list he is ranked just below Kabengele.

Don't know much about him, but seems to be a classic interior 4 (now 5) that's much more of a defender than anything else?

He's versatile on both ends of the floor. Can guard 1 to 5, face to face and one on one. His versatility is confusing to a point because sometimes he gets stuck into thinking if he should post up or shoot from the perimeter. If one can Youtube a highlight compilation of him, he looks like a natural SG/SF who had a tremendous growth spurt that forced him to play 4/5. Handles and quickness are above average too for a big man.

I have a feeling Langford could slip into 18 and the Pacers will have a decision to make between him and another prospect. I don't know if it's just me but the attention Langford is getting since the combine has been pretty weird. Maybe because of his injury?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 22, 2019 1:37 pm

Wizop wrote:pretty sure Smits plans to play for Butler and is just taking advantage of the opportunity to receive pro coaching.

Sent from my phone.

YUp. His post workout interview he specifically stated he’s dropping out of the draft and returning to Butler. This was his only workout scheduled this summer.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#7 » by Grang33r » Thu May 23, 2019 3:00 am

I like Carsen Edwards a lot. Reminds me of Jalen Brunson who was a contributor in Dallas. His attitude is great, hes quick, and likes to get to the hoop. Helps he has a resume of being about to score at the college level. Think some team may get a very nice player if they select him, essp if he does drop to mid-2nd like the original posts suggests.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Moooose
Starter

Post#8 » by Moooose » Thu May 23, 2019 4:52 am

Grang33r wrote:I like Carsen Edwards a lot. Reminds me of Jalen Brunson who was a contributor in Dallas. His attitude is great, hes quick, and likes to get to the hoop. Helps he has a resume of being about to score at the college level. Think some team may get a very nice player if they select him, essp if he does drop to mid-2nd like the original posts suggests.

The kid is very likeable. His stock was at an all-time high during the NCAA tournament but after that moment, things have started to settle into place. I was for one considering him as a first round talent at that time but was later made to realize some of his flaws. I was floored by my failure to assess his game because of excitement, as someone said. Some people also said he's comparable to the Kendrick Nunn's, Lester Hudson's, and Kay Felder's of the league who comes into the league with promises of being big time scorers but ended up somewhere else. I guess the point was we see undersized super scorers enter the draft and most of them never really panned out. Edwards needs to prove that he is a cut above the rest.

Though he scored a lot in college, he also shot quite poorly at just below 40%. He's a volume shooter, not much of a playmaker, and would probably translate as an undersized SG in the NBA. The main concern is about how he'd score effectively against bigger competition. To me, he is head-to-head with Shamorie Ponds on the point guard rankings. Physically (I don't really know if it is going to be an issue for teams), he could have been taller if not because of bow-legs. But I think he's proven that it has no effect on him. I play with someone who is short and bow-legged too and the only problem for him is getting caught on screens almost all of the time because of his wide hips. But he has the biggest ego of us all.

I am not hating on the guy, just to be clear. And would love to get him at 50 if he is available. But at 18, probably no.
Moooose
Starter

Post#9 » by Moooose » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:22 pm

https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacers-hold-third-pre-draft-workout-wednesday-190605

Third Workout Group

Shizz Alston Jr. (6'-4", 180 lbs., G, Temple)
Ky Bowman (6'-2", 180 lbs., G, Boston College)
Tacko Fall (7'-6", 290 lbs., C, UCF)
Mfiondu Kabengele (6'-10", 255 lbs., PF/C, FSU)
Juwan Morgan (6'-8", 230 lbs., PF, Indiana)
Elijah Thomas (6'-9", 240 lbs., PF, Clemson)
Moooose
Starter

Post#10 » by Moooose » Wed Jun 5, 2019 2:51 pm

Kabengele is the only clear-cut first rounder in this workout group.

Shizz Alston Jr. I do not know anything about this guy.

Kyle Bowman. Aggressive guard who I think could play right away in the pros. Probably undrafted though.

Tacko Fall. I wouldn't be mad if we snag him at 50 and send him to the G-League for further development. The improvement in his game was obvious and he should be able to continue to improve with more professionals tending to his development. If he finally learns how to not bring the ball down after catching it, he'd score really easy.

Mfiondu Kabengele. I knew he and Fernando would climb up the draft boards when the workouts began but I did not expect him to go as high as being a lottery pick. Not surprising though, as anyone could fall in love with his rare skillset quite easily. If he develops his outside shooting some more, he'd be the perfect hybrid. Deserving to be a top 20 pick, IMO.

Juwan Morgan. IMO, huge sleeper potential. Sound skill set, good potential on the post and as a corner 3 shooter. It was kind of hard to notice him because he is not flashy at all, but he'd score 30 very quietly (especially if it is Langford you wanted to see). I don't know for some weird reasons I get reminded of Bob McCann whenever I watch him play. I am not even that old.

Elijah Thomas. Energy guy who was consistent through college. Probably undrafted.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#11 » by Tom White » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:55 pm

Moooose wrote:Kyle Bowman. Aggressive guard who I think could play right away in the pros. Probably undrafted though.

I don't think I've ever heard a player described quite that way. Does that mean you think he is a deep bench player but has already hit his peak by being at that level?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 5, 2019 5:01 pm

Tom White wrote:
Moooose wrote:Kyle Bowman. Aggressive guard who I think could play right away in the pros. Probably undrafted though.

I don't think I've ever heard a player described quite that way. Does that mean you think he is a deep bench player but has already hit his peak by being at that level?

Gary Clark in Houston this past year (from Cincinnati) is an example of that. Maxed out kind of player, and what they do could get some situational play in the right spot, but unlikely to be a long term kind of guy.
Moooose
Starter

Post#13 » by Moooose » Wed Jun 5, 2019 6:02 pm

Tom White wrote:

In a way, yes. I was referring more to his overall physique and his mindset - more like maturity and NBA-readiness. NBA-ready but having not that high of an upside, not much potential as compared to the younger prospects. Teams "usually" draft for upside / potential. Some contending teams might prefer NBA-readiness over potential in hopes that a mature prospect could contribute right away and during their championship window.

Gary Clark was a good mention. Another one from last year is Yante Maten. Also, Yogi Ferrell back in 2016. Not saying they are busts already but they COULD be steady rotational players at best.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 5, 2019 10:23 pm

4th workout

Read on Twitter
Moooose
Starter

Post#15 » by Moooose » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:36 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:4th workout

Read on Twitter

Collectively, this workout group is the best so far.

Luguentz Dort. One look into his game and you can see why the Pacers are scouting him closely. If he clicks, he's got the potential to be a starter in the league or at least a key reserve - ala Marcus Smart. Defensive skill set is outstanding, combined with aggression and a good physique to go along with it. He has a lot of work to do in offense, though. And I doubt that he will ever develop good playmaking / vision skills which separates him from some players being compared to him - Tyreke Evans, Rawle Alkins, and some says Victor Oladipo. Early to mid 2nd round, IMO.

Kyle Guy. Just like Carsen Edwards, his stock was an all-time high during the tourney. But as expected, his stock has settled and he projects to be taken late in the 2nd round or go undrafted. It is very unlikely that he plays hero ball in the league and so looking at what other tools he possess, the assessment isn't that great. Excellent shooter though, no doubt about it but the question relies on what else he can do when he isn't shooting. Not a true point guard and is quite small (and still weak) to play 2. Likely undrafted.

Amir Hinton. I am glad that we are showing interest in him. I've only watched his videos and it is hard to gauge how he'd play on a different team. Big fish small pond syndrome? Sure, he averaged 30ppg but Shaw really wasn't winning. Late 2nd round for teams looking for an Isiah Thomas pick.

Talen Horton - Tucker. In my list, this guy is a first-rounder and is ranked above Kevin Porter and Keldon Johnson. I am really not sure why he is projected to go mid-2nd round in some mock drafts and I am not sure about the sudden decline in his draft stock. He looks like an Eric Gordon clone who got a little heavier. Has NBA body, physique, and maturity that will likely enable him to function the way he did in college. Late first rounder. IMO.

Cody Martin. Caleb is way better. Likely undrafted.

Josh Reaves. I don't know anything about this guy. Likely undrafted for now.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#16 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Jun 6, 2019 1:48 pm

Moooose wrote:Kabengele is the only clear-cut first rounder in this workout group.

Shizz Alston Jr. I do not know anything about this guy.

Kyle Bowman. Aggressive guard who I think could play right away in the pros. Probably undrafted though.

Tacko Fall. I wouldn't be mad if we snag him at 50 and send him to the G-League for further development. The improvement in his game was obvious and he should be able to continue to improve with more professionals tending to his development. If he finally learns how to not bring the ball down after catching it, he'd score really easy.

Mfiondu Kabengele. I knew he and Fernando would climb up the draft boards when the workouts began but I did not expect him to go as high as being a lottery pick. Not surprising though, as anyone could fall in love with his rare skillset quite easily. If he develops his outside shooting some more, he'd be the perfect hybrid. Deserving to be a top 20 pick, IMO.

Juwan Morgan. IMO, huge sleeper potential. Sound skill set, good potential on the post and as a corner 3 shooter. It was kind of hard to notice him because he is not flashy at all, but he'd score 30 very quietly (especially if it is Langford you wanted to see). I don't know for some weird reasons I get reminded of Bob McCann whenever I watch him play. I am not even that old.

Elijah Thomas. Energy guy who was consistent through college. Probably undrafted.

I don't claim to be a draft guy. But man I really loved the way Kabengele played at FSU. Wouldn't be mad with that at all. Know its not a position of need, but I do like the kid.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#18 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:55 pm

we keep working out 2nd round and camp invitation guys. perhaps we saw enough of the first round guys at the combine to be able to hide our preferences.

here is a very interesting article.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/6/6/18654810/nba-draft-draymond-green-role-players-grant-williams
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#19 » by Jake0890 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:06 pm

Kyle Guy is a local product. Wouldn't mind a second rounder on him, would be pretty upset if he went in the first. Seems like he could be a nice glue guy. Also a quality locker room guy.
Moooose
Starter

Post#20 » by Moooose » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now this group is clearly for the 50th pick, but a lot of intelligent prospects in here.

Iggy Brazdeikis. One of the most underrated prospects in the draft. His statistics doesn't speak of his impact on the court. And I believe his stats were affected by how Michigan was playing him. Highly intelligent and understands the game very well. More of a scorer than just a shooter. Had he stayed in college, his draft stock would have been higher next year.

Jon Elmore. The pro of college basketball. Old school kind of guy. Not flashy and not really athletic but is really effective and intelligent. Might have maxed out in college though. I have him ahead of Kyle Guy in my personal list.

Aric Holman. Interesting prospect with his combination of size, mobility, and shooting. Consistency was an issue though. And that game against Liberty was disappointing. In the same group /mold as Kabengele, Claxton, Porter, Shittu, but is on the bottom end.

Luke Maye. The only reason why I've been watching a lot of North Carolina games since 2017. This guy, to me, was the heart and soul of the team. Though he isn't the most talented guy, he makes everybody play better. Last year's core of Cam Johnson, Coby White, Nassir Little was fun to watch and how Maye fits that group was magic. Had he been an two inches taller, he could have been a borderline first rounder. In the mold of Kevin Love - sound fundamentals and versatile. Fills in for whatever was lacking. Lack of height and limited athleticism are the primary issues moving forward.

Miye Oni. Smooth and looks NBA-ready. I've only seen him in clips. Talented but he looks to be in the same mold as most wings in the G-League.

Admiral Schofield. I personally think he is an early second round type of guy. NBA-ready physique and could instantly find a role in the league as a legit and bruising 3 & D player. Though undersized, Tennessee played him as a SF/PF sometimes in interchangeable positions with Grant Williams. And he played both positions quite well. Outside shooting potential is very promising. Bully-ball post game is somehow working for him in college but I doubt it will work in the NBA.

Return to Indiana Pacers