ROH (Ring of Honor) Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: ROH (Ring of Honor) Thread 

Post#221 » by Spens1 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 4:03 am

Scott Hall wrote:So Life Blood is the new big thing in ROH huh?

On the surface they seem kind of corny...but I do like the progression Juice Robinson has made since his CJ Parker days
in NXT. I like his look and his mic skills and ring work are noticeably better after his Japan stint. He's a guy I could see
in WWE (or AEW) in a few years as he has a good upside.

I also like Bandidos look and look every luchador is good in the ring. This is the first time I've seen Fit Finlays son and so
far kind of meh and the other guys are bland. Emma man geez she just continues to rapidly regress. She doesn't even stand
out as a former WWE star and seems just kind of there. She did some commentary last week and was god awful.

Also love PCO being back after all these years

It is so corny and i kind of hate it to be honest. Like its over the top babyface and i don't mean that in a good way, also Tenille Dashwood being there feels wrong (on her regressing, she was out for a long time so that's why she doesn't look that good, also most of the WOH roster is not that good besides herself, Klein and like one or two others), as does Bandido in truth.

Bandido is fantastic though. I feel he's wasted in ROH because they don't really do Jr heavyweight or lightweight wrestling that well and he's kinda just there in Lifeblood as well (instead of maybe going to AEW and getting a big push, which they would have, or even becoming a top junior in New japan or even staying in Dragon Gate).

You're kind of right on Finlay Jr, he kind of is bland and not really that good, but he has improved a fair bit, he went from well below average/one of the worst guys in New Japan to at least passable.

PCO is great, he apparently was doing stuff but only has been back for the last year and a bit (i know he was wrestling for GCW and did some PWG gigs and MLW before getting signed full time with ROH).
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#222 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:30 pm

I hate being this negative to ROH. I don't have cable, so this is the one show I watch on TV. They can attract some good male wrestlers, but the female division is incredibly weak. Some good male wrestlers, and many mediocre ones. WCW wrestlers were clearly better on the mic than the current ROH wrestlers even if they have a slight edge in wrestling. I'd rather watch Nitro than ROH at this point. Assuming it's their main show on Saturday night that I watch, it's the worst TV show I've seen in the modern era.

Early ROH was amazing. ECW going out of business led to ROH which was better. If the new competition ends up leading to ROH going out of business I say oh well.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#223 » by Spens1 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 4:54 am

I don't want to **** on ROH even more but good god, the ROH side of G1 Supercard was absolutely dreadful. I think it was that bad that they're probably the worst decently sized promotion in the world today (yes they are genuinly worse than modern day WWE, at least WWE has managed to pull two intriguing storylines out of their ass, ROH couldn't even get one.

At least Scurll hopefully is leaving this mess of a promotion and we have Cobb going to New Japan perhaps full time, because a lot of the talent are wasted on Delirious (who may somehow be worse than Vince).

edit: Bully Ray is the new booker apparently (so Delirious for once isn't to blame). That would explain why his talentless Girlfriend Velvet Sky got hired after they had Mayu Freaking Iwatami lose. It would also explain why his match went on for like 45 minutes whilst the IC title only got 20 minutes (who paid to see a scrub like Bully Ray anyway).
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#224 » by donkeylips » Sun Apr 7, 2019 8:14 am

It was my first roh ppv, and there were times where I couldn’t pay attention. Cobb looked amazing. I liked the tag and the ladder match as well.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#225 » by Spens1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:56 am

So apparently Enzo & Cass are already done with ROH.

Given they didn't tell New Japan (nor the new japan teams involved in the match) what was going on, i'd imagined New Japan where less than impressed.

Not a good start for Bully Ray as head booker that's for sure.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#226 » by Scott Hall » Thu Jun 6, 2019 11:26 am

I'm liking the new additions of James Storm and the Beautiful people to the roster. Probably Bully Rays influence
as head booker but both good signings. ROH's women roster might have the weakest womens roster of any promotion
and while the Beautiful People might not be good workers they at least bring some entertainment and name value.

James Storm is a guy who burned his bridges with WWE and Impact but is to talented to be wrestling in Independants
in Scotland or where ever he's been hiding. He just adds some name value and solid depth to that roster.

I was never a Justin Gabriel fan but as he's gotten older he's really learned how to become a better smarter worker
and I like his zany character and outfit.

I also am really enjoying Bandito and Rush as well. ROH needs to start focusing on their stars and not these James
Ellsworth type of Indy guys that look like jobbers and have no talent.

Both ROH and Impact have been really making solid improvement it's just disappointing everyone just wants to
talk about WWE sucking and what AEW is gonna be.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#227 » by Spens1 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 11:31 pm

Did anyone hear about the Bully Ray fan incident where Bully apparently took a fan backstage cause he insulted his girlfriend along with Mandy Leon (Delirious's girlfriend).

This coming from the same guy who cut the heatwave promo and used to cut some of the most insane promos on ECW tv. I don' t think Bully has much right to complain.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#228 » by Spens1 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:27 pm

Marty Scurll has signed a new deal with Ring of Honor, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources. The two sides had been working on a deal for some time after Scurll's last deal expired at the end of November. PWInsider.com has not confirmed the length of the deal, although ROH has been locking talents into multi-year deals of late, so it makes sense that the new deal is at least a two year deal.

PWInsider.com can confirm, however, that as of this weekend, Scurll is taking on lead booking duties for the company. Hunter “Delirious” Johnston remains with the company in a creative capacity and will be working with Scurll, but we are told that moving forward, Scurll will have the lead position for creative with Johnston working in conjunction with him. Scurll was heavily involved in all aspects of ROH's event last night in Atlanta from a behind the scenes perspective. We are also told that the upcoming 2/9 free event in Baltimore was a Scurll idea.

It appears that Scurll’s new ROH deal will also allow Scurll to continue to work for the NWA. The NWA storyline for Scurll vs. Aldis bled over into last night’s ROH event in Atlanta, where the NWA tapes TV.

Ring of Honor will run Concord, NC tonight.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=132879

This is from Mike Johnson so its pretty much as good as true.

On one hand, i'm dissappointed because that means no Scurll in AEW most likely (unless he negotiated a clause to work both), meaning no Villain Enterprises feud with the Elite and top heel marty in AEW. On the other hand, the long night of terror that was the Delirious booking reign is over.

Obviously Delirious will work alongside him but Scurll is now the head booker of AEW and apparently the Atlanta tapings recently handled by Scurll was really well done (and i'd imagine he'd be a good booker anyway). Hopefully he can turn ROH around completely, however they should get rid of Bully Ray, Joe Koff and Delirious altogether to be honest for the last 2 years to be honest.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#229 » by Spens1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:38 am

More on Scurll per Satin

Scurll's role specifically is co head booker with Delirous, Marty will be the ideas guy and Delirous will be the one who makes Marty's ideas come to life which honestly could be a good thing (Delirious's ideas suck but in the past he has shown himself to be capable of executing ideas).

Scurll will look to strengthen ties with the NWA and New Japan (they need to on the latter because New Japan has been mad since MSG) as well as open the door to a ROH-AEW deal (which would be smart, since i believe both the Bucks and Cody have clauses to work ROH if they want).

This is just from what i've read (i forgot the source but i think its Johnson, don't quote me on that).

Scurll's deal also allows him to work outside dates (NWA and New Japan obviously) but also allows for AEW as well.

Basically, a New Japan-ROH-AEW-NWA alliance would be amazing as all four promotions offer vastly different products (well if ROH gets back to its best, its probably more closer to New Japan in truth).

To be honest though, i just want a Mark Briscoe world title run (should have happened already when he was the most over guy in the company).
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#230 » by Dominator83 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:26 am

Any Booker is better than that awful Bully Ray
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
RonMexico915
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#231 » by RonMexico915 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:56 pm

Spens1 wrote:Basically, a New Japan-ROH-AEW-NWA alliance would be amazing as all four promotions offer vastly different products (well if ROH gets back to its best, its probably more closer to New Japan in truth).

Why would they (AEW & ROH) agree to that? If NJPW is on AEW and ROH, how does that benefit them? If you want to see NJPW guys, you can see them on AEW or vice versa. Gives the viewer no reason to watch show A, because they can watch them on show B. It’s gotta be one or the other, but not both.

I love the NWA, but I don’t think they’re a truly viable partner for any international federation at the moment.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#232 » by Spens1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:40 am

RonMexico915 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Basically, a New Japan-ROH-AEW-NWA alliance would be amazing as all four promotions offer vastly different products (well if ROH gets back to its best, its probably more closer to New Japan in truth).

Why would they (AEW & ROH) agree to that? If NJPW is on AEW and ROH, how does that benefit them? If you want to see NJPW guys, you can see them on AEW or vice versa. Gives the viewer no reason to watch show A, because they can watch them on show B. It’s gotta be one or the other, but not both.

I love the NWA, but I don’t think they’re a truly viable partner for any international federation at the moment.

ROH needs all the help they can get (and the Young Bucks, Cody, Hangman etc) would all help get some starpower, not to mention they could loan guys there (guys like Jimmy Havoc who is a big name but AEW aren't using, could be a TV champ and maybe even world champ with the right booking and momentum) and AEW needs some top end wrestlers rather than mid carders, comedy guys and jobbers. ROH's top end could easily help AEW with their top end as well. Jay Lethal, Jeff Cobb and Rush would all be main eventers in AEW, The Briscoes would be a top tag team (top 3 at least, better than SCU probably) then of course the likes of Bandido, Lee etc who could provide some mid card depth (since they where after both), obviously they won't heavily push them since they aren't their own but both companies would benefit with the others talents coming on tv for a program from time to time.

Also New Japan benefits cause they at least have guys on international tv, also it wouldn't be like they'd send Okada every week, most likely it would be sending excursion guys like Shota & Ren Narita to do tv in the states with some of their star guys coming in to do tv once in a while (also Kenny has some ready made feuds to go, as does Moxley and Jericho to be honest).
RonMexico915
Sophomore

Post#233 » by RonMexico915 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:20 am

Spens1 wrote:
RonMexico915 wrote:

ROH needs all the help they can get (and the Young Bucks, Cody, Hangman etc) would all help get some starpower, not to mention they could loan guys there (guys like Jimmy Havoc who is a big name but AEW aren't using, could be a TV champ and maybe even world champ with the right booking and momentum) and AEW needs some top end wrestlers rather than mid carders, comedy guys and jobbers. ROH's top end could easily help AEW with their top end as well. Jay Lethal, Jeff Cobb and Rush would all be main eventers in AEW, The Briscoes would be a top tag team (top 3 at least, better than SCU probably) then of course the likes of Bandido, Lee etc who could provide some mid card depth (since they where after both), obviously they won't heavily push them since they aren't their own but both companies would benefit with the others talents coming on tv for a program from time to time.

Also New Japan benefits cause they at least have guys on international tv, also it wouldn't be like they'd send Okada every week, most likely it would be sending excursion guys like Shota & Ren Narita to do tv in the states with some of their star guys coming in to do tv once in a while (also Kenny has some ready made feuds to go, as does Moxley and Jericho to be honest).

Those are fine, but my question is why would AEW help a smaller promotion that is taking away eyeballs and $$$ from them? There is no incentive for AEW to work with ROH or anyone else. Same goes for WWE, they’re not helping out smaller promotions either.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#234 » by Spens1 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:12 am

RonMexico915 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
RonMexico915 wrote:

Those are fine, but my question is why would AEW help a smaller promotion that is taking away eyeballs and $$$ from them? There is no incentive for AEW to work with ROH or anyone else. Same goes for WWE, they’re not helping out smaller promotions either.

Well AEW, if they really want to be competitive and grow, could use things such as invasion angles and talents coming in and out from other companies to keep things fresh. Having a guy like Lethal come in for a few months to feud with Jericho or Omega does him good. Sending Jimmy Havoc for 6 months to become ROH champion to get him hot for when he returns to AEW does him some good as well.

Also ROH is on some tiny channel no one has.AEW needs some deals however because frankly besides a few names, their roster is basically on par with ROH's and probably behind Impact's.
RonMexico915
Sophomore

Post#235 » by RonMexico915 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:42 am

ROH isn’t on a tiny channel and everyone has it. Their TV show is on OTA and totally free. You can also watch it on FITE. It’s easy to find. The times might be inconsistent, but it’s there. Definitely better than when Impact was on Pop or Pursuit
Spens1
RealGM

Post#236 » by Spens1 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:24 pm

RonMexico915 wrote:ROH isn’t on a tiny channel and everyone has it. Their TV show is on OTA and totally free. You can also watch it on FITE. It’s easy to find. The times might be inconsistent, but it’s there. Definitely better than when Impact was on Pop or Pursuit

How many homes is Pursuit actually on by the way? Is it actually accessible to more people than Axs, that is the question.

I say this because New Japan probably needs a new home for its broadcast as well.
RonMexico915
Sophomore

Post#237 » by RonMexico915 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:11 pm

Pursuit is in approx 45 million and AXSTV is 50. Pursuit is not more accessible, just barely though, but AXS is way better channel. Pursuit had only hunting stuff before Impact.

ROH TV is available via an antenna and on free apps.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#238 » by Spens1 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:29 am

To be fair, New Japan literally as AXS's top rated program and they still pulled them off cause they refused to work with Impact.

Anyway, ROH has brought back the Pure Championship (Ospreay gets his wish, though i'd be keen to see Gresham take it, also since ROH are throwing money left and right, offer Daniel Bryan a deal whilst you're at it since that's basically his belt).
RonMexico915
Sophomore

Post#239 » by RonMexico915 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 10:32 pm

Spens1 wrote:To be fair, New Japan literally as AXS's top rated program and they still pulled them off cause they refused to work with Impact.

Anyway, ROH has brought back the Pure Championship (Ospreay gets his wish, though i'd be keen to see Gresham take it, also since ROH are throwing money left and right, offer Daniel Bryan a deal whilst you're at it since that's basically his belt).

That's part of how business works. NJPW should get their program back on ASAP.

Daniel Bryan isn't coming back to ROH anytime soon.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#240 » by Spens1 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:58 am

RonMexico915 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:To be fair, New Japan literally as AXS's top rated program and they still pulled them off cause they refused to work with Impact.

That's part of how business works. NJPW should get their program back on ASAP.

Daniel Bryan isn't coming back to ROH anytime soon.

one can dream with that Sinclair money coming in strong (he'd at least do a hell of a lot more and probably not have to do any of the WWE bs).

Return to Pro Wrestling