Post#1 » by FireMorey » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:55 am

Read on Twitter
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Re: Sixers hire Ime Udoka from Spurs as assistant coach 

Post#2 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:16 am

Hard to evaluate assistant coaches but he seems like a well regarded hire. I like having at least one of the top assistants be a guy that played in the league.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#3 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:25 am

Wow, this is a really good hire. Pop can't be too happy lol.

Like mentioned, Udoka has been 1 of Pop's top assistants for several years.
Love adding someone with knowledge of the system/terms/concepts, but also may have some newer wrinkles from being with the Spurs the last few years while Brown has been here. He is also a guy who has played the game at the NBA level, so he brings some experience and credibility to the table with players.

We also added Hodges to the staff from the Spurs earlier today. Hodges was working under Spurs assistant Chip Engelland, who heads San Antonio’s player-development program. Chip is regarded as 1 of the better "shooting" coaches in the NBA.

Now if we could just start plucking some of their scouts/front office personnel.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#4 » by kingofthecourt67 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 6:30 am

I know he’s well liked. Has a ton of experience learning from Pop. And is mentioned frequently as someone who gets HC interviews. Im guessing getting the little extra responsibility of lead assistant will position him better to secure a HC gig in the near future.

Love the hire!
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#5 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Jun 7, 2019 11:56 am

One thing I Iike about the way this organization has been run since BC was ousted is the focus on a collaborative approach rather than putting all the pressure and responsibility on one person.

Like, the people in leadership roles seem to rarely be making decisions on their own. It's always a group effort, a team decision. And that includes the amount of control Brett gives his assistants. It's almost like Brett is more of a manager than a coach in some ways. This can be good and bad at times, but I feel like he found his coach's hat when it was needed in the playoffs.

But hiring good people to be part of the process rather than just treating an Assistant like an Assistant, it's good leadership and clearly something that was learned from Pop.

Hiring Brett Brown was one of the most crucial decisions this organization has made during this entire thing, and whoever had the foresight to make that move should be given more credit than the person who simply drafted Embiid and Simmons. They were super easy decisions.

Without Brett guiding the way during the tumultuous years, without Brett helping guide EB into his role while being a coach and GM, without Brett bringing so many assistants through the ranks who went on to take better jobs, and without Brett hiring those people in the first place because he saw the potential in them, plus literally stealing from one of the best dynasties of all time...

None of this would be possible. He has done an outstanding job creating the culture here.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#6 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:05 pm

Married to Nia Long, the actress from Friday All the players probably had crushes on her growing up.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,529

Post#7 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:08 pm

Hiring somebody who is not only qualified, shares the same mindset and has the heart to not want “to be more than just an assistant” is perfect.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,604

Post#8 » by Slacktard » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:27 pm

LloydFree wrote:Married to Nia Long, the actress from Friday All the players probably had crushes on her growing up.

She was also minority owner Will Smith's girlfriend/fiancee on Fresh Prince
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#9 » by the_process » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:28 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:Wow, this is a really good hire. Pop can't be too happy lol.

Like mentioned, Udoka has been 1 of Pop's top assistants for several years.
Love adding someone with knowledge of the system/terms/concepts, but also may have some newer wrinkles from being with the Spurs the last few years while Brown has been here. He is also a guy who has played the game at the NBA level, so he brings some experience and credibility to the table with players.

We also added Hodges to the staff from the Spurs earlier today. Hodges was working under Spurs assistant Chip Engelland, who heads San Antonio’s player-development program. Chip is regarded as 1 of the better "shooting" coaches in the NBA.

Now if we could just start plucking some of their scouts/front office personnel.

Udoka likely has an understanding to get a shot at the big job should the Sixers flame out in the playoffs again next year.

Also, I wonder if Buford might consider leaving and taking a new gig after Pop retires next summer?
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,286

Post#10 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Jun 7, 2019 6:37 pm

He's obviously going to get the head coaching job if the Sixers aren't the top seed in the east by the all Star break.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#11 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jun 7, 2019 6:38 pm

the_process wrote: I wonder if Buford might consider leaving and taking a new gig after Pop retires next summer?

with us grabbing the other two, I was wondering if Engelland was taking over pronto. or maybe at least being set up with a say in what will become his coaching staff.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers