ImageImageImageImageImage

Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

nykinoz
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Re: Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox 

Post#521 » by nykinoz » Tue Jun 4, 2019 11:47 pm

He's younger than about half the guys in this years draft, give him some time for christs sake.
Knicks fan since 1991
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#522 » by blanko » Wed Jun 5, 2019 3:24 am

Show me some defensive drills

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#523 » by blanko » Wed Jun 5, 2019 3:26 am

nykinoz wrote:He's younger than about half the guys in this years draft, give him some time for christs sake.
Dont worry the pels will develop him nicely and we will sign him back

Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,151

Post#524 » by Garbagelo » Wed Jun 5, 2019 8:26 am

I don't really see a difference.....
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#525 » by F N 11 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 3:27 pm

blanko wrote:Show me some defensive drills

They’re there u just missed it.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#526 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:10 pm

He’s gonna make such a huge jump.
Please be patient with this young buck.
He’s not even close to becoming what he becomes in the league.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#527 » by dakomish23 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:01 pm

They did not use him the right way at all.

Stand in the corner and if you get the ball and if they close out, then make a move?

Terrible.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM

Post#528 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:33 pm

dakomish23 wrote:They did not use him the right way at all.

Stand in the corner and if you get the ball and if they close out, then make a move?

Terrible.

Kinda oversimplifying tho.
Lotsa factors contributed to his season.
The other players he shared the floor with, etc.
And all things considered I don’t think we could’ve expected much more. He’s not physically strong enough to do what he wants to do on the court. You don’t give him responsibility he’s clearly not ready for and then call it development. There’s no blame to assign.
He’s a very young 19. He’s on his way. We have to be patient and he/they have to keep working.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#529 » by dakomish23 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:46 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:

Terrible.

And all things considered I don’t think we could’ve expected much more. He’s not physically strong enough to do what he wants to do on the court. You don’t give him responsibility he’s clearly not ready for and then call it development. There’s no blame to assign.
He’s a very young 19. He’s on his way. We have to be patient and he/they have to keep working.

How do you know what he is and is not ready for? They didn't try. The same thing every game.

Strong enough? He's not playing against power lifters. Talented enough, maybe that's an argument. Again, they didn't try.

You could have him in motion off the ball. I'm picturing some of the sets KY used to run for Mercer. With his height, athleticism and touch, I think he could have been used better.

Patient? When have I not been? I'm not blaming him for this. I'm one of the few who didn't give up on him, even though he wasn't the player I wanted in the draft. See posts on the 1st and 2nd page of this thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM

Post#530 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:07 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:

Terrible.

How do you know what he is and is not ready for? They didn't try. The same thing every game.

Strong enough? He's not playing against power lifters. Talented enough, maybe that's an argument. Again, they didn't try.

You could have him in motion off the ball. I'm picturing some of the sets KY used to run for Mercer. With his height, athleticism and touch, I think he could have been used better.

Patient? When have I not been? I'm not blaming him for this. I'm one of the few who didn't give up on him, even though he wasn't the player I wanted in the draft. See posts on the 1st and 2nd page of this thread.

They do practice. They do have meetings. They see what he’s capable of and not. I don’t think he had such a terrible seasons that someone has to be blamed. He didn’t have a Donovan Mitchell season, ok. Does Fiz get called into the boss’s office and get reprimanded or told how to do his job because of that? Development will reap results over time. And not all development is under the lights for us to digest in real time.

And I’m not accusing you of being impatient. I just feel of all things to have an issue with with our staff, I don’t single out Knox’s role as one of the more irksome. No one was depending on him to do anything more than he did this season. In four years we can look back and see how beneficial or not this stage of his development was.
If he comes back a different/better and more complete offensive player this fall or next, is that because of Fiz and crew or in spite of them?

I think (can’t say I know) it’ll be the former.

And honestly if you take issue with Fiz and how he coached him up I woulda expected you to single out the defense or board work.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#531 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jun 6, 2019 11:55 pm

All I wanna know is whether or not Kevin Knox is Getting the Pipe

Spoiler:
(or should that be Giving the Pipe?) :dontknow:
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,878

Post#532 » by Context » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:05 am

Read on Twitter
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#533 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:15 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:

Terrible.

Sometimes problems amplify eachother. Neither of you are wrong, it more so that we could keep doing to this chain. Maybe someone might add to mine. I might've bashed Fizz and mentioned that he shouldve been sent in motion more. What you said is correct in that he would need to get stronger but he didn't need strength to have a curl play or off ball even set for him to swing around and pop it from midrange (his sweet spot in college) but then I remembered.
-our pgs were too busy isolating and the only one we have that knows how to dribble in place and simply dish it to guys who do what I just explained cant score.
- Knox is lazy and probably wouldn't shake his defender off ball. Or set the very pick that might free his pg up to kick it to him for the pop.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#534 » by DrCoach » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:34 am

He’s 19, he will be peaking by the time these other teams get old.

Patience

Let’s go hope he is turn into a Tobias Harris or Siakham type player
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#535 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:48 pm

Context wrote:
Read on Twitter

hell of a cut. hell of a pass. hell of a strong finish. one of my favorite plays this season.

kinda hoping DJ can hang around -- especially if he's part of the KD plan.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#536 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:50 pm

freaky kid with a lot of tools. length. athleticism. can shoot it. got some handle. way too early to be giving up.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM

Post#537 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 7:41 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:

Terrible.

Sometimes problems amplify eachother. Neither of you are wrong, it more so that we could keep doing to this chain. Maybe someone might add to mine. I might've bashed Fizz and mentioned that he shouldve been sent in motion more. What you said is correct in that he would need to get stronger but he didn't need strength to have a curl play or off ball even set for him to swing around and pop it from midrange (his sweet spot in college) but then I remembered.
-our pgs were too busy isolating and the only one we have that knows how to dribble in place and simply dish it to guys who do what I just explained cant score.
- Knox is lazy and probably wouldn't shake his defender off ball. Or set the very pick that might free his pg up to kick it to him for the pop.

I don’t think Fiz is above criticism, he’s a young coach.
He’s probing and learning hopefully too. I do question his decisions in game (cussing at the tv) and I wouldn’t say he’s the most creative coach if you asked but we aren’t really at the point of handing out blame to the coach for “how this season went” imo.

I don’t think we saw ourselves as anything other than a tank.

The coach wasn’t “stalking” wins. His words. But that comes from the top. Development sounds sexy but it’s ugly if you’re a competitor. And it completely changes how we should judge his coaching acumen.

Kanter, for instance has warts and all but he’s useful and can absolutely be a part of a winner. Game 34 or 55 of the season most coaches worth their weight in salt are gonna find a way to get an Enes Kanter in a game, shortcomings and all and use what he does to help you win a game. He’s a vet. Most coaches trust their vets. His leash for lack of a better term wasn’t indicative of Fiz’s strategy as much as it is and was Scott Perry’s.
Timmy and Trey an’ chit, getting all these minutes and hijacking the offense early but we were likely showcasing them to move him which we ultimately did.
Frank not coming in for one last defensive possession, etc...

So our coach under direction of our GM wasn’t going all out to win.

So I can’t just look at his first season as HC here in a vacuum.

We prioritized youth. And it clearly costs in terms of reputation.

It could make the organization look foolish until its done cookin’ and could have everybody out of job by the time it’s ready to be unleashed.

But we were all about giving these kids NBA minutes and getting some good as gold tape to work with.

And I think, playing the long play, we good with that.

We would rather focus on Mitch because it’s the right thing long term....but it’s not competing with all you have to win night in, night out when this kid hadn’t played basketball of any form in a year and in-prime healthy vets are sitting in the bench collecting dust.

And no I’m not saying Mitch isn’t the sheet. Just saying there’s a philosophy being employed here....a process, if you will.

If we were out there with expectations to win with a caliber roster then the good/bad coach calculus would be adjusted much differently. I digress...

I just think that Knox is a legit 6’10” dribble-shoot-pass guy with all the upside in the world but he’s not physically able to impose his will consistently against NBA competition yet. When he gets there, watch out!!

He’s a much sleeker athlete than Tobias. And I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up 6’11” or even 7’. It’s just soooo early.

I also think roster construction/rank and file/integrity/Trier, Mud, Tim and Trey/politics/etc play a part in what we saw this season from his as well.

But a lotta that absolutely falls on Fiz and I get that.

I’m just saying it’s waaaaay early to judge Fiz on what he’s helping Knox become or not based on this season and all its shenanigans. So many factors. So many things still at play and unfinished.

The encouraging part to me is Knox got real minutes and played inside and out even though on most nights he was outmatched. When he was azz on the glass the next game you’d see a better effort. Fiz gave him minutes, sideline instructions and (a level of) responsibility.

This only helps him and us in the long run. Stumbles and all. All on broadway. He’s a very young 19, fellas. His season to me was akin to practicing and playing with the varsity team and you’re really JV ready. You get beat up most night but show your flashes, you get tougher. You level up to the comp. Your confidence grows. In these respects I think the organization is doing a great job focusing on getting these kids lathered up early.

When he started the season he was just chucking away outside the rhythm of the game. As it went on he improved picking his spots.

He doesn’t have confidence in his handle, I think that holds him back big time too. Summer league Knox was ripping, running and dunking like a dolla store Giannis.
Because of the haphazard play of summer league and blasé defensive focus; dude was just playing basketball and was engaged and in he flow. That’s gonna come with confidence and strength...if he’s as hungry as he says he is to be the best.

If in three seasons or so he’s not closer to summer Knox then we could recognize his development as not going how we planned and start pinpointing why.

I just feel to throw blame regarding this kid and Fiz’s handling of him is premature and kinda exactly not what developing theses cats calls for. And yes his X and Os are suspect but Fiz is a development guy. He knows this better than us. It’s his strength. Along with managing personalities. It’s not easy but I trust him. Let him work.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM

Post#538 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 7:42 pm

Man I wouldn’t even read that chit lol.
In summary:
Knox yung. Coach ok. We gotta chill.
FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#539 » by FlashFlood » Fri Jun 7, 2019 7:46 pm

Right now, definitely there's something of an over reaction towards Knox. I'm not saying he deserves it, but some of the issues are real. His defense is abysmal in year one. He can get better, but with how much he has to pick up, I wouldn't expect him to get anything better than solid.

Now on offense, the kid is a real treat. His athleticism, shooting and ball handling make him a very enticing prospect. On a team that needs some punch from the forward slot, he could probably put up stats. Problem is, the Knicks have players that can handle slightly better, and he happens to be one of the team's good shooters. In other words, given the abundance of ball handlers and the absence of shooters, he is delegated to spot up shooting.

In the future as free agents leave, and the team start getting long-term prospects, he should fill out his offensive game alot more. He should be good, just has to work hard.
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,097

Post#540 » by Juco24 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 10:33 pm

Boy working... getting cut

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

Return to New York Knicks