jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Re: Trade Ideas (Part III) 

Post#1041 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:46 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I was going through and trying to do a one-man mock offseason and I was surprised at how quickly salary dump options dried up. Would Cleveland really go into the tax for a salary dump? I feel like JR Smith for JJ+13 is more than the Heat would be willing to give up but I'm sure you guys could figure out what lesser asset you'd be willing to give up to get it done.

Read on Twitter

Well so much for JR to BKN...
Miami better give up that 13

The entire league is basically down the Bulls, Kings, and JR's contract in terms of cap space. I'm not sure the Bulls or Kings want to sell their space before F.A.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#1042 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well so much for JR to BKN...

The entire league is basically down the Bulls, Kings, and JR's contract in terms of cap space. I'm not sure the Bulls or Kings want to sell their space before F.A.

Yeah I'm not too familiar with the Hawks salary situation but I didn't see that coming at all.
Doesn't work in any trade machine just Crabbe for Prince and I don't see how the 17th makes up the difference so maybe Bazemore declined his PO or something?
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1043 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:51 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Well so much for JR to BKN...

Yeah I'm not too familiar with the Hawks salary situation but I didn't see that coming at all.
Doesn't work in any trade machine just Crabbe for Prince and I don't see how the 17th makes up the difference so maybe Bazemore declined his PO or something?

The trade machine is still using last year's numbers. Use basketball-reference.com https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/ATL.html
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#1044 » by substancej » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:51 pm

Is there any way we can see Love + JR going to the Clippers for Montrezl + Gallinari? Or something similar...
Kevin Love finna get traded
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1045 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:54 pm

substancej wrote:Is there any way we can see Love + JR going to the Clippers for Montrezl + Gallinari? Or something similar...

We're not trading Love.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1046 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The trade machine is still using last year's numbers. Use basketball-reference.com https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/ATL.html

must be letting Dedmon walk with plans to take Hayes or similar in the first.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1047 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:56 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Yeah I'm not too familiar with the Hawks salary situation but I didn't see that coming at all.

They still have plenty of space to retain Dedmon.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1048 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:01 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Like I said not too familiar with their numbers, but yeah I guess if they have no interest in any fa.
maybe they will turn around a flip 2 of those picks to move up...
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#1049 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:42 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:must be letting Dedmon walk with plans to take Hayes or similar in the first.

Like I said not too familiar with their numbers, but yeah I guess if they have no interest in any fa.

If we look back at the rumor of 3 for 8+10 that was supposedly being considered, maybe Atlanta makes a play for RJ and then uses 17 to get a big.

But Atlanta still has some cap space to either resign Dedmon or take on another salary dump.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1050 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:53 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If we look back at the rumor of 3 for 8+10 that was supposedly being considered, maybe Atlanta makes a play for RJ and then uses 17 to get a big.

But Atlanta still has some cap space to either resign Dedmon or take on another salary dump.

You've got to block out about $10M for the guys they draft. The next dump can't be as big as Crabbe.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#1051 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:29 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Like I said not too familiar with their numbers, but yeah I guess if they have no interest in any fa.

You've got to block out about $10M for the guys they draft. The next dump can't be as big as Crabbe.

Yeah any dump moving forward has to be significantly smaller, but they can still do a small dump.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1052 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:43 am

VCfor3 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Yeah any dump moving forward has to be significantly smaller, but they can still do a small dump.
While I've got you here, any chance the Grizzlies would trade 2 for 5, 26, and Sexton?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#1053 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:07 am

jbk1234 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

While I've got you here, any chance the Grizzlies would trade 2 for 5, 26, and Sexton?

My guess is no though the value is there. I think ownership, fans, and others are already falling hard for Ja and his potential so moving off of him would be tough. It is an interesting idea though.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#1054 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:24 am

jbk1234 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If the Cavs made that trade they would be dumb.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#1055 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:36 am

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Depends on how you see Sexton+Cam/Culver/whoever vs Ja. I'm biased but still would say that Memphis wins that trade. The question is who do they think will ultimately be the best player and by how much. If they are sold Ja is going to be significantly better than anyone they would get back in the deal then they keep him. If they think he is only slightly better than one or two of the returning pieces (or if they think one of the other pieces will be better), they do the deal.

Who do you think you'll end up picking? Let's say Garland goes at 4 since he shouldn't interest you guys as much with Sexton already in the fold. I feel like Culver is the likely pick with Cam number two on your FO's big board, but that is a very uneducated opinion.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#1056 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:21 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:While I've got you here, any chance the Grizzlies would trade 2 for 5, 26, and Sexton?

Depends on how you see Sexton+Cam/Culver/whoever vs Ja. I'm biased but still would say that Memphis wins that trade. The question is who do they think will ultimately be the best player and by how much. If they are sold Ja is going to be significantly better than anyone they would get back in the deal then they keep him. If they think he is only slightly better than one or two of the returning pieces (or if they think one of the other pieces will be better), they do the deal.

Who do you think you'll end up picking? Let's say Garland goes at 4 since he shouldn't interest you guys as much with Sexton already in the fold. I feel like Culver is the likely pick with Cam number two on your FO's big board, but that is a very uneducated opinion.

Honestly, I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer Sexton to Ja even. Sure Ja will probably remain a better distributor than Sexton, but based on their body of work so far, I'd take Sexton. I mean they are both 2 years removed from HS, first year Ja wasn't even on the NBA radar while Sexton worked himself into a top 10 pick in a very strong draft, in their second year Ja dominated college, mostly against weaker competition but did have good games against top collegiate opponents, while although Sexton struggled early on, progressed, including shooting 40% from 3, and ended up having a very underrated year on a team that had zero real direction against NBA competition. So I'd rather take the chance that Sexton continues to work hard and develop, especially in an actual offensive scheme and hopefully a healthy Love for more of the year.

So yeah, I would definitely rather have Sexton + #5 pick over Ja. Now I wouldn't mind putting Sexton and Ja together in the backcourt with Sexton playing off-ball more often, but I wouldn't give up Sexton and the #5 pick. Maybe Sexton and the #27 pick, but that's about it.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#1057 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:28 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Honestly, I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer Sexton to Ja even. Sure Ja will probably remain a better distributor than Sexton, but based on their body of work so far, I'd take Sexton. I mean they are both 2 years removed from HS, first year Ja wasn't even on the NBA radar while Sexton worked himself into a top 10 pick in a very strong draft, in their second year Ja dominated college, mostly against weaker competition but did have good games against top collegiate opponents, while although Sexton struggled early on, progressed, including shooting 40% from 3, and ended up having a very underrated year on a team that had zero real direction against NBA competition. So I'd rather take the chance that Sexton continues to work hard and develop, especially in an actual offensive scheme and hopefully a healthy Love for more of the year.

So yeah, I would definitely rather have Sexton + #5 pick over Ja. Now I wouldn't mind putting Sexton and Ja together in the backcourt with Sexton playing off-ball more often, but I wouldn't give up Sexton and the #5 pick. Maybe Sexton and the #27 pick, but that's about it.

That's fair. I think Ja's passing will help elevate his teammates, but Sexton will be a better scoring threat. I also would be a little hesitant to pair them together just because I think that Ja's defense will be horrid at first and maybe end up a little below average. I think you want a strong defender next to him to help hide him on that end. Is Sexton that guy? (Serious question, I haven't watched him enough to know)

RJ might be a better fit. He could be a secondary playmaker and help set Sexton up. RJ's shooting is a concern for me, but I think he'll get it up enough to be average and then he'll do a ton of other stuff to really impact the game.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#1058 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:44 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

That's fair. I think Ja's passing will help elevate his teammates, but Sexton will be a better scoring threat. I also would be a little hesitant to pair them together just because I think that Ja's defense will be horrid at first and maybe end up a little below average. I think you want a strong defender next to him to help hide him on that end. Is Sexton that guy? (Serious question, I haven't watched him enough to know)

RJ might be a better fit. He could be a secondary playmaker and help set Sexton up. RJ's shooting is a concern for me, but I think he'll get it up enough to be average and then he'll do a ton of other stuff to really impact the game.

I mean I obviously prefer RJ to Ja, but I wouldn't have been upset with a Ja/Sexton pairing. Sexton needs to improve defensively but he has the mentality and willingness to put in the effort (what most of defense is), but just needs the proper coaching to help elevate the game. I think Sexton and Ja are different PGs, Ja the more facilitator that can score, Sexton the more scoring oriented that will need to learn to pass, so it's really a what do you want for your team. Granted we don't know how good Sexton is as a passer because even when he did make the passes most of the team wasn't hitting shots consistently, so hopefully with a real offensive scheme put into place we'll see that increase. I think at worst we'll end up seeing Sexton as an Eric Gordon type player. A combo guard, capable of playing with or without the ball and giving you 20+ points a night and running the offense as the primary or secondary option.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1059 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:43 pm

Cavs and Memphis isn't happening
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1060 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 8:12 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I'm pretty much the only Cavs fan who would consider this but I think Ja has a real shot at being something special.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers