Welcome Tobias Harris

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,797

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#321 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu May 23, 2019 9:20 pm

Tomjas wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:The problem I have is we are going to have to sign one of Harris/Butler even if we go out and try to get someone else. Butler took over the role as the adult in the room in the playoffs but I am not sure he is the guy we want to run the offense through longterm. Ideally we would bring in someone who has a little more all around offensive game. I think Harris is better off the ball player.

What we need is that 2nd true superstar level player with more of a complete offensive game that Embiid can play off of. Embiid also has to work on his 3PT shot. He is so much more dangerous when defenders have to come out and defend the 3PT line.

People are largely ignoring how ordinary Jimmy was as a pg

It was either very passive and simply passing it off without much creativity or iso stuff

I would love to hear your opinion of Ben at the point.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#322 » by Tomjas » Thu May 23, 2019 10:10 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:The problem I have is we are going to have to sign one of Harris/Butler even if we go out and try to get someone else. Butler took over the role as the adult in the room in the playoffs but I am not sure he is the guy we want to run the offense through longterm. Ideally we would bring in someone who has a little more all around offensive game. I think Harris is better off the ball player.

What we need is that 2nd true superstar level player with more of a complete offensive game that Embiid can play off of. Embiid also has to work on his 3PT shot. He is so much more dangerous when defenders have to come out and defend the 3PT line.

It was either very passive and simply passing it off without much creativity or iso stuff

He’s got his weaknesses but it wasn’t him screwing up possessions in the 4th quarter of game 7

Those 3-4 minutes were a killer
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,984

Post#323 » by spikeslovechild » Thu May 23, 2019 10:24 pm

Tomjas wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
Tomjas wrote:

He’s got his weaknesses but it wasn’t him screwing up possessions in the 4th quarter of game 7

Agreed his 3PT shooting is a problem. We cannot have Butler and Simmons on the same team longterm. Since Simmons is still what 22
and won't make max money I'd rather stick with him and hope he develops a jump shot.

Harris disappears at times but we really have noone to replace his offense at PF. I do think we need to bring in ISO guy but someone who is a more complete player and who can also play off Embiid to shoot the open 3. Irving, Kawhi, Durant. Those type of players. I know it maybe wishful thinking but settling for Butler without exploring our other options would be a mistake.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#324 » by 76ciology » Fri May 24, 2019 3:14 am

I dont buy to all the noise about Tobias. The rumors of him walking away during the Raps series? It may be created by our opponent to distract the team, just as what Josh Harris said.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#325 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 4, 2019 3:50 am

Pikachu detective work
- “process prone to resist”
- no likes from any of our players
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,797

Post#326 » by XtremeDunkz » Tue Jun 4, 2019 4:48 am

Thats literally an Ad for Mercedes. They tell him what to put there. This overreaching is getting tiresome.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#327 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jun 4, 2019 12:39 pm

I'm certain that Harris isn't worth the max, but I'd be reluctant to renounce him or let him walk and run the risk of striking out in free agency. He's still fairly young and a very good complimentary player who can elevate his game at times (we'll need that firepower as we manage Joel's playing time over the next few years).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,020

Post#328 » by eyeatoma » Tue Jun 4, 2019 2:55 pm

76ciology wrote:I dont buy to all the noise about Tobias. The rumors of him walking away during the Raps series? It may be created by our opponent to distract the team, just as what Josh Harris said.

Wait what rumors of him walking away during the raptors series? Link? Or explain lol
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#329 » by youngcrev » Tue Jun 4, 2019 3:40 pm

I feel like there should be a Michael Bay explosion going on in the background of that picture.

Also, please retire as a detective. That's ridiculous
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#330 » by thenbaman » Tue Jun 4, 2019 4:59 pm

If this team stays together one more season we win the championship,book it.
We need everyone to stay.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#331 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:57 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
76ciology wrote:I dont buy to all the noise about Tobias. The rumors of him walking away during the Raps series? It may be created by our opponent to distract the team, just as what Josh Harris said.

Wait what rumors of him walking away during the raptors series? Link? Or explain lol

sorry not “walking away”. But other teams being interested with him.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#332 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:57 pm

youngcrev wrote:I feel like there should be a Michael Bay explosion going on in the background of that picture.

Also, please retire as a detective. That's ridiculous

:)) ok
papajoe
Junior
And1: 360

Post#333 » by papajoe » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:51 am

What rumours?
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#334 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 4:58 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:

Agreed his 3PT shooting is a problem. We cannot have Butler and Simmons on the same team longterm. Since Simmons is still what 22
and won't make max money I'd rather stick with him and hope he develops a jump shot.

Harris disappears at times but we really have noone to replace his offense at PF. I do think we need to bring in ISO guy but someone who is a more complete player and who can also play off Embiid to shoot the open 3. Irving, Kawhi, Durant. Those type of players. I know it maybe wishful thinking but settling for Butler without exploring our other options would be a mistake.

You're right that Ben at 22 makes way more sense financially, but counting on him to develop a (serviceable) jumper at his age is unlikely. I don't want to change the focus of this discussion, lets stick to Toby, but thought I'd say that.

I think offering Harris a lower-than-max deal with incentives baked in a possible solution. That way, the team acknowldeges that they expect more from Harris while giving him some incentive to play harder...
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#335 » by 76ciology » Wed Jun 5, 2019 5:15 am

Harris is not just a spot up shooter.

He rotates and switches well on defense while he’s a very good rebounder. Everything you want from Dario.

He can run PnR when the other top guys are on the bench. While defense can’t hide their liability with any of our starting unit.

In halfcourt offense or when the game slows down, only Jimmy can make plays. Next best thing outside Tobi is that JJ-Biid DHO.

But is he a max player? I dont think he is. But what I do know is having both Jimmy and Tobi back makes us the most talented team in the league, outside GSW. And like GSW, you have to pay a price to make that happen.

Whether it’s Tobi, Jimmy, KD, Kyrie or Kemby, you have to pay a lot of $$$ to compete.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#336 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jun 5, 2019 11:03 pm

76ciology wrote:
But is he a max player? I dont think he is. But what I do know is having both Jimmy and Tobi back makes us the talented team in the league, outside GSW. And like GSW, you have to pay a price to make that happen.

Whether it’s Tobi, Jimmy, KD, Kyrie or Kemby, you have to pay a lot of $$$ to compete.

Exactly, it is what it is. For me, I feel like we're good enough to compete in this Finals series if we run it back and just find a way to add better bench depth. Retaining Butler and Harris should keep us within striking distance for the next 5 years. That's a tough level to reach and I'd be hesitant to squander that by trying to save a few bucks on Harris.

Its hard to minimize how little time our starting 5 had to gel heading into the playoffs. Not to mention-- Joel played some of the worst ball of his career against Toronto and it took an incredible game 7 buzzer beater for them to put us away. We're close, just stay the course.

strotorious
Ballboy
And1: 51

Post#337 » by strotorious » Thu Jun 6, 2019 3:35 am

I have my concerns about Harris on a big contract as well, but oddly enough the best way for this team to improve the depth is to give Harris whatever it takes to keep him. Resigning him gives them at least limited rights to also keep any of Reddick, Scott, Ennis, Boban, and McConnell, plus the full mid level. If he leaves, replacing his production with free agents would mean renouncing rights to everyone else. They'd have about $30m in cap space and the room exception, but over half a roster to fill out, including two starters.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#338 » by 76ciology » Thu Jun 6, 2019 5:08 pm

Spoiler:
ankle420breaker wrote:
76ciology wrote:
But is he a max player? I dont think he is. But what I do know is having both Jimmy and Tobi back makes us the talented team in the league, outside GSW. And like GSW, you have to pay a price to make that happen.

Exactly, it is what it is. For me, I feel like we're good enough to compete in this Finals series if we run it back and just find a way to add better bench depth. Retaining Butler and Harris should keep us within striking distance for the next 5 years. That's a tough level to reach and I'd be hesitant to squander that by trying to save a few bucks on Harris.

Its hard to minimize how little time our starting 5 had to gel heading into the playoffs. Not to mention-- Joel played some of the worst ball of his career against Toronto and it took an incredible game 7 buzzer beater for them to put us away. We're close, just stay the course.

The most ideal scenario of landing a Kawhi or LeBron is out of the picture. We did our best last offseason but it didnt work out.

This is the next best thing.

The next scenario has around the same upside, something like Middleton or Kemba. But the likelihood is not that high in reality than on paper.

And after that scenario, things get bleak IMO. It goes from hoping we find some gems with mid to late first, Ben turning into next LeBron or Zhaire turning into a star.

Consider all that and the active cases in the league where teams need to SPEND crazy amount of money to be a title contender (i.e. Chris Paul’a contract) going all in with both Jimmy and Tobi is justifiable IMO.
AllHype3
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#339 » by AllHype3 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 5:19 pm

Could the Sixers bring everybody back from last season before resigning Tobi. After roster is in place do S &T of Tobi for AD. Obviously Tobi would need to agree and also under the assumption Tobi was looking to not resign. CBA legal?

Sent from my SM-J327V using RealGM mobile app
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#340 » by freshie2 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 12:11 pm

This may be a simplistic view, but can you gamble on not resigning Harris and Butler after how the finals have gone? We never know what options are actually on the table, but the salary cap rules appear to make that our best option, other than a sign and trade (if you don’t love Harris) which rarely seems to work.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers