ImageImageImage

Tatum and Brown, as 1-2 Options

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#101 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Jun 9, 2019 10:28 am

Btw, Brown and Tatum need to work out with Pierce. Stop **** working out with guys your game doesn't come close to or who are completely irrelevant. CALL PAUL PIERCE!
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#102 » by Iguodaladon » Sun Jun 9, 2019 10:33 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:Btw, Brown and Tatum need to work out with Pierce. Stop **** working out with guys your game doesn't come close to or who are completely irrelevant. CALL PAUL PIERCE!

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the report that Brown is working out with Melo :lol:

I mean seriously, you've got one of the most well-rounded forwards to ever play the game actually offering to tutor you and you go with the guy who averaged 2 assists per game for his career and never reached the Finals?

Just waiting for the report that Tatum is working out with Shaq next
Obama to Zach Lavine: ‘I used to be able to get up like you back in the day.’
Jaren Jackson Jr on Doncic: 'I thought he was a myth'
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#103 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Jun 9, 2019 10:54 am

Iguodaladon wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:Btw, Brown and Tatum need to work out with Pierce. Stop **** working out with guys your game doesn't come close to or who are completely irrelevant. CALL PAUL PIERCE!

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the report that Brown is working out with Melo :lol:

I mean seriously, you've got one of the most well-rounded forwards to ever play the game actually offering to tutor you and you go with the guy who averaged 2 assists per game for his career and never reached the Finals?

Exactly, I mean both could learn a lot from Pierce. Why the heck are you working out with Melo, bro? Melo is irrelevant and has been irrelevant for at least 5 years. Dude's clueless, at his age Pierce was knocking down 3s in LBJ's face in the ECF and came 1 game short of making the Finals and possibly winning the title with M Pietrus and Greg Selfastiemsma as their only 2 bench players(Avery had double shoulder surgery, Jeff had the heart issues)..
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#104 » by Iguodaladon » Sun Jun 9, 2019 11:25 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Iguodaladon wrote:

Exactly, I mean both could learn a lot from Pierce. Why the heck are you working out with Melo, bro? Melo is irrelevant and has been irrelevant for at least 5 years. Dude's clueless, at his age Pierce was knocking down 3s in LBJ's face in the ECF and came 1 game short of making the Finals and possibly winning the title with M Pietrus and Greg Selfastiemsma as their only 2 bench players(Avery had double shoulder surgery, Jeff had the heart issues)..

I've no idea, Pierce was twice the competitor Melo was too. There's not a skill you could learn from Melo that the Truth wouldn't be able to teach. Wouldn't hurt their Celtics image either to train with the captain either
Obama to Zach Lavine: ‘I used to be able to get up like you back in the day.’
Jaren Jackson Jr on Doncic: 'I thought he was a myth'
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#105 » by 31to6 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 12:01 pm

On Pierce, I’m not sure his performance on TV so far is burnishing his legacy. Could have an impact on how younger guys see him.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#106 » by Edug27 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 3:12 pm

Zeroforwinger wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
JR Hawks wrote:Think Danny's regretting not trading Jaylen and Smart for Kawhi?

If that reporting is true, then yes. Can’t see how he doesn’t.

Only if Kawhi would resign here.

Well, we’d probably have a ring. Hard to imagine Kawhi leaving Boston after bringing a title here.. Toronto? Sure. But not Boston.
Larryxd
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#107 » by Larryxd » Sun Jun 9, 2019 3:45 pm

Edug27 wrote:
Zeroforwinger wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
If that reporting is true, then yes. Can’t see how he doesn’t.

Well, we’d probably have a ring. Hard to imagine Kawhi leaving Boston after bringing a title here.. Toronto? Sure. But not Boston.

I bet Toronto is much more attractive to him as a city than Boston. He’s literally the hero of an entire country right now. Already the greatest Raptor ever. He will forever be remembered in Toronto for winning this year.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#108 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jun 9, 2019 4:21 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:From a year ago: https://tv5.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23847072/zach-lowe-kawhi-leonard-jaylen-brown-celtics-spurs-trades

It might sound ridiculous, but Boston will be wary including Brown, even if they get to speak with Leonard about re-signing. The Celtics are set up to contend for at least 10 years. The Irving/Hayward/Horford trio should carry them now. Brown and Tatum take over later.

Flipping Brown for Leonard tilts Boston more toward the present, and chips away at what looks like a bright future stretching well beyond 2025. To maintain that present-future balance, it makes more sense to use Hayward or Irving as the centerpiece of any Leonard trade. Boston does not appear inclined to go that route -- at least not now.

The underlined part did not age well.
Offseason not over yet. I can still happen!

Neither did this part: "The Irving/Hayward/Horford trio should carry them now."
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#109 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Jun 9, 2019 8:32 pm

Larryxd wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
Zeroforwinger wrote:

I bet Toronto is much more attractive to him as a city than Boston. He’s literally the hero of an entire country right now. Already the greatest Raptor ever. He will forever be remembered in Toronto for winning this year.

Toronto is an awesome city. For someone without ties to either place, I'd bet 8/10 pick Toronto after spending 6 months living in each. And this is coming from a native Bostonian.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#110 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:04 am

Gomes3PC wrote:
Larryxd wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Toronto is an awesome city. For someone without ties to either place, I'd bet 8/10 pick Toronto after spending 6 months living in each. And this is coming from a native Bostonian.

Agreed. Though it is also a big city, which some people and players just don't particularly like. Still, they've probably won him over. Too bad Danny couldn't have swung the deal and taken a chance on him instead of taking us all on a year on the Kyrie train. Oh, well.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,223

Post#111 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Tatum is also among the pool of 20 players selected for the US Basketball training camp this August. Only 12 will be chosen to represent the US for the FIBA World Cup in China this September.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#112 » by CeltsfaninDC » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Larryxd wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
Zeroforwinger wrote:

Well, we’d probably have a ring. Hard to imagine Kawhi leaving Boston after bringing a title here.. Toronto? Sure. But not Boston.[/quotes

Also..... Canada. Kawhi appears to be a laid back sort of fellow and thats not exactly how I would describe Boston fans.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,223

Post#113 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 pm

This is a good listen.

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#114 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:14 pm

I don’t think Tatum is ever a top 5 player, but I think he’s all star level talent, and has the skill set to basicallt fit any type of team and lineup.

Should be a great shooter, scorer and defender if he really wants to be. I’d be thrilled to have him come in and grow with Zion.

People are overreacting to a sophomore slump. Young guys need that to know what they need to improve.

I’m less sure about Brown, but still think he’s the kind of guy you see starting on a title team.

I think the Celtics becoming a true contender always hinged on whether or not Tatum became a superstar, and I’m not sure he’s that, and I’d be supportive of trading for him with the hopes that Zion was becoming that guy at some point.

Just an outside perspective from someone that doesn’t see them nearly as often as you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#115 » by Wes-J » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Not really concerned about Tatum and Brown's development. It's more about if and when Hayward returns to his all-star form.

It's not just about these kids having nice talent and perhaps great upside, I kinda feel like what gets lost is the fact between the two they have considerable playoff experience. They are battle tested. This is so huge, it's being vastly understand IMO. That's precisely why I'm less inclined to go balls out for a non-committal AD.

I'm ready to roll with Tatum and Brown. Sick of the obsessing over AD. He doesn't want Boston. We need to get over it.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Post#116 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Wes-J wrote:Not really concerned about Tatum and Brown's development. It's more about if and when Hayward returns to his all-star form.

It's not just about these kids having nice talent and perhaps great upside, I kinda feel like what gets lost is the fact between the two they have considerable playoff experience. They are battle tested. This is so huge, it's being vastly understand IMO. That's precisely why I'm less inclined to go balls out for a non-committal AD.

I'm ready to roll with Tatum and Brown. Sick of the obsessing over AD. He doesn't want Boston. We need to get over it.
Get ready for a treadmill team

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
California Gold
Starter
And1: 2,684

Post#117 » by California Gold » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:
Larryxd wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Toronto is overrated. Boston is underrated.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#118 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:Not really concerned about Tatum and Brown's development. It's more about if and when Hayward returns to his all-star form.

Get ready for a treadmill team

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
If AD doesn't happen, Danny should go back into asset collection mode until the next great thing comes available (Giannis?) We only become a treadmill team if we blow all our assets on second rate guys like Capela and Beal.
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#119 » by Afam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:10 pm

We go for it, and if it doesn't work out, you do a proper rebuild. No Giannis is not coming to Boston, neither is James Harden. The best route for the celtics to win a championship is by re-signing Kyrie Irving, and Acquiring Anthony Davis or Kevin Durant.

If you don't care about championships, and want a so called fun team, filled with so called good character guys then tank and hope the prospect that year would turn into a star.

Celtics got lucky. If the Nets didn't play poorly for a couple of years, they wouldn't had the opportunity to draft Jaylen Brown, and Jayson Tatum. They got lucky. The NBA is a stars league, either you tank and hope you are in position to draft them and hope they turn into stars or you trade for them or through free agency.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#120 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:53 am

High lottery pick does not always= foundational player. These are the kids we got from the KG/Pierce trade. We drafted them so there's emotional bias. Whatever difference there is between where they are as players and where they would need to be as players to be truly players you build around, people will emotionally compensate to get them there. Doesn't matter what they've shown. You can't argue against "future hopes" because it's always in the future. It's going to happen. It just hasn't happened yet. These are our kids, our babies. We want to see them do well here. It matters more. Our draft picks are like our children. We have to see the best in them. And this the fruit of our big trade. So we must validate the genius of that trade by ascending these two #3 picks into the stratosphere and thus validate ourselves.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured

Return to Boston Celtics