Around the NBA: 2018—19

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: Around the NBA: 2018—19 

Post#541 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 8:11 am

Do y'all think OKC would trade #21 + Schroder + Roberson for Harrison Barnes?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#542 » by Pillendreher » Sun Jun 9, 2019 8:42 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:OKC's DeRozen is still on the roster, Russ.

Oh, give me a **** break with this. Compared to Westbrook, DeRozan is a complete scrub.

What a bunch of nonsense. :crazy:
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,485

Post#543 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Jun 9, 2019 2:27 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Do y'all think OKC would trade #21 + Schroder + Roberson for Harrison Barnes?

No. I think it would make OKC a better team than they currently are, but I do not think they would do it.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,857

Post#544 » by jayu70 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 6:27 pm

Per rumors....is OKC using #21 just to clear salary and minimize yhe tax ax penalty or are they looking for players in return?
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#545 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 9:36 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:Do y'all think OKC would trade #21 + Schroder + Roberson for Harrison Barnes?

No. I think it would make OKC a better team than they currently are, but I do not think they would do it.

What could be added to the trade to make it something you think OKC would do?

Is the holdup Roberson having more value than I percieved or do you think OKC wants to cut salary this year not next (Dennis =15Million for two years + Roberson 10million for 1 year = HB 25 million for 1 year)
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#546 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:13 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Is the holdup Roberson having more value than I percieved or do you think OKC wants to cut salary this year not next (Dennis =15Million for two years + Roberson 10million for 1 year = HB 25 million for 1 year)

I think it is a combination of OKC overvaluing Roberson and thinking he will come back healthy in addition to wanting to shed salary this year. I think if Sacramento were to also take Patterson it would be close, although I'm still not sure they would consider moving Roberson. I imagine OKC would rather do Schroder and #21 for nothing than take back Barnes. Barnes doesn't move the team up the food chain in the West with the way they are coached and I don't think the front office suddenly decides to care bout shooting enough to want Barnes.

I think the deal that ends up happening is going to be #21 and Patterson to someone just so Presti can dump more salary. I don't expect them to move Schroder or Roberson and then I expect them to act really confused about why the team gets stomped in the first round like they did this year. We'll hear Presti talking about how Russ had this one season where he shot 34% from 3 and if he can do it again then OKC will be a good shooting team. We'll hear Presti talk about wanting Russ to take all the bad shots instead of passing to better shooters with better shots. We'll get to laugh as Presti talks about how the players love having a cheerleader that lets them do as they please pretending to be the coach.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#547 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:15 am

jayu70 wrote:Per rumors....is OKC using #21 just to clear salary and minimize yhe tax ax penalty or are they looking for players in return?

I think it might be similar to last off-season. Looking for a player on an equally bad contract with less yearly money. Like the Melo for Schroder deal. I don't think there is a deal out there that makes sense on that premise so it is very likely they end up doing something like Patterson and #21 into space.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,306

Post#548 » by hardenASG13 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:17 pm

You guys see how toronto is beating golden State by having 5 guys that can shoot at all times on the floor? And how not having that is killing golden state? They can't stop toronto, granted without KD, despite their regular season defensive ratings. OKC was and still kinda is set up to be a team like that since they have had and still do have stars. But some NBA caliber sgs might make sense.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,929

Post#549 » by slick_watts » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:48 pm

hardenASG13 wrote: They can't stop toronto, granted without KD, despite their regular season defensive ratings.

golden state was 13th defensively this year. golden state's problem is their offense. 107.8pp100 in the series, 9pp100 worse than their offense the rest of the playoffs.

hardenASG13 wrote: OKC was and still kinda is set up to be a team like that since they have had and still do have stars. But some NBA caliber sgs might make sense.

the thunder will never be a team like that with current westbrook shooting as much as he does.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,306

Post#550 » by hardenASG13 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:57 pm

slick_watts wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote: They can't stop toronto, granted without KD, despite their regular season defensive ratings.

golden state was 13th defensively this year. golden state's problem is their offense. 107.8pp100 in the series, 9pp100 worse than their offense the rest of the playoffs.

hardenASG13 wrote: OKC was and still kinda is set up to be a team like that since they have had and still do have stars. But some NBA caliber sgs might make sense.

the thunder will never be a team like that with current westbrook shooting as much as he does.

Yes, their offense has been a problem. It's because they only have 2 shooters. KD masked alot of warts. When you aren't scoring, it's tough mentally to set and play good D. Toronto is torching them with always playing 5 shooters. They have no answers and can't get stops.
flafson
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#551 » by flafson » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 pm

slick_watts wrote:

Raptors fan here.

You make it sound like Golden State offense fell off a cliff, I would argue that they just didn’t play against a defense like the Raptors in these playoffs, wouldn’t you agree?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,282

Post#552 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:26 am

Was hard to see Durant leave that game like that. I don't like him but I've also got too many good memories of watching him here to contemplate him having a serious injury. More than anything I just wanted him to keep playing and have someone (preferably the Thunder but whomever) kick his ass in the playoffs. Looks like that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#553 » by Pillendreher » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:51 am

Old Man Game wrote:Was hard to see Durant leave that game like that. I don't like him but I've also got too many good memories of watching him here to contemplate him having a serious injury. More than anything I just wanted him to keep playing and have someone (preferably the Thunder but whomever) kick his ass in the playoffs. Looks like that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Warriors got the last laugh
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#554 » by Dn4sty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 am

Pillendreher wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Was hard to see Durant leave that game like that. I don't like him but I've also got too many good memories of watching him here to contemplate him having a serious injury. More than anything I just wanted him to keep playing and have someone (preferably the Thunder but whomever) kick his ass in the playoffs. Looks like that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

KD has always been seen as the mercenary/outsider in the Bay. The whole narrative leading up to his return tonight (from media to Warriors staff) was all about pushing him to play and and seemingly questioning why he was still out. I can guarantee if Steph or Klay had KDs calf injury before tonight, the narrative would have been far different leading up to tonight.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#555 » by Pillendreher » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 am

Dn4sty wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

KD has always been seen as the mercenary/outsider in the Bay. The whole narrative leading up to his return tonight (from media to Warriors staff) was all about pushing him to play and and seemingly questioning why he was still out. I can guarantee if Steph or Klay had KDs calf injury before tonight, the narrative would have been far different leading up to tonight.

He is a mercenary with them, but this feels like they used that to pressure him into playing. Most likely didn't change the outcome of the series, but sure as hell changed the rest of his career. No matter what kind of prick a player is: Don't fault him for not playing when really injured.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,153

Post#556 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:39 am

I feel bad for him. I think this could really impact free agency. Lebron made that 1+1 popular. Durant could possibly get burned by it because he never committed to a long term deal.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,282

Post#557 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:37 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I feel bad for him. I think this could really impact free agency. Lebron made that 1+1 popular. Durant could possibly get burned by it because he never committed to a long term deal.

True, but we should keep things in perspective, the reason a player like Durant can take that calculated risk is because 1) he's already made a ton of money, and 2) he has money coming in from other sources like Nike that is guaranteed.

So, please, sorry he's hurt on a human level but let's not worry about his contract status. Even if he never played another game he's set for life and has a great career legacy. 2 rings. MVP. Loads of points. Durant has nothing but positives from his career.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,153

Post#558 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I feel bad for him. I think this could really impact free agency. Lebron made that 1+1 popular. Durant could possibly get burned by it because he never committed to a long term deal.

True, but we should keep things in perspective, the reason a player like Durant can take that calculated risk is because 1) he's already made a ton of money, and 2) he has money coming in from other sources like Nike that is guaranteed.

So, please, sorry he's hurt on a human level but let's not worry about his contract status. Even if he never played another game he's set for life and has a great career legacy. 2 rings. MVP. Loads of points. Durant has nothing but positives from his career.

I’m not worried about him financially but what rich person is ever content with the amount of money they have? Most of these guys continue to work and make money in other ways after they retire. Lebron openly talked about wanting to be a billionaire when he was younger. Yet he signed several 1+1 deals. Just saying that if that’s the thinking of a lot of these guys, (and I believe it is) maybe the 1+1 deals start to decline. I think it was a factor in George’s decision.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#559 » by Pillendreher » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Getting burned twice by trying to copy James after talking about not being a follower on Twitter.

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#560 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:We tried to be Toronto, but Dennis Schroeder, jerami grant, and t Ferg aren't ibaka, gasol, and vanvleet.

And of course Russ having a large decline makes it impossible to correct for the quality of role players.

Toronto realized they couldn't win with Derozen so they packaged him for a better player that fit and they could win with. OKC's DeRozen is still on the roster, Russ. I do not recall Presti ever trying to move Russ for someone like Chris Paul, Lillard, Anthony Davis or anyone else that might have been able to win a championship next to kd.

OKC got rid of Ibaka and if Grant ever gets that good it is going to happen after Russ has declined too much to matter. Ferguson is a 20 year old kid and you are seriously comparing him to Marc Gasol who is a former all-star? Schroder to VanVleet is fine for a comparison, but Toronto signed him when he went undrafted they didn't give up multiple picks, shooters, etc to acquire him and Schroder is not now and will never be the shooter or defender that VanVleet is.

Okc realized they couldn't win with Vic and got pg. They absolutely could've won with Russ and pretending differently is reductive.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder