ImageImageImage

Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Re: Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs) 

Post#401 » by Ben » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:42 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:
the_process wrote:
nitocobola wrote:I don't think that we can keep both, tobias and butler

Just brutal

Read on Twitter

What it likely means is no discounts. You give them their 5-188 or they threaten to go.

In retrospect, it makes the decision to go for it right now that much stupider, as they acquired two pending UFA’s in an offseason where half the league has max cap space. That’s what you get when you get when you half ass the GM search.

Wait, SO your basically saying we should have held onto Covington, Dario, Fultz, Shamet and never had made the Butler/Harris trades with hopes that we could sign a free agent in an ultra competitive market this Summer?

And what happens when you don't land any of those FA? After the LeBron situation, I think you have to realize that Philadelphia (as a city/destination) is NOT likely out dueling New York, LA and other desirable markets....especially when the money is the same or similar.

You bring someone into the fold like Butler for a season or so.....Have him experience the city, the fans, the team etc and also hold the ability to pay him more money than anyone. That was a SMART move by Brand, because without it.....you're likely not landing him.

This is pretty much the only way to look at it. I still think that the Sixers gave up too much for Harris, and should have fought to keep Shamet, but that's haggling at the margins. Without having traded for Butler and Harris mid-season, there's little chance we could have signed either one of them this summer (let alone both). And little chance we would have signed any other top-tier FA.

So, while the trades were kind of tough to swallow at the time, and while it's still possible that one or both of those guys could walk this summer, the Sixers tried to set themselves up for the best possible shot of signing/acquiring 2 top talents this summer.

To those who say that the team could have accomplished the same thing via the trade market down the road:
Butler's and Harris's contracts, should we sign them this summer, should be tradable in coming years if things don't work out here (assuming neither one of them is badly injured). There will always be teams coming up short in the marquee free agent market, and hence always teams looking to trade for guys who can mollify their fanbases or their owners. Make Butler and Harris max offers on Day 1 of FA and then do what you can to flesh out the bench.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#402 » by Wilfried » Fri Jun 7, 2019 7:11 pm

the_process wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
the_process wrote:
I wasn’t trying to infer “just sign FA’s this summer”. Rather, I was trying to say they should have waited until 2020 or 2021 to push all in. Less competition and gives your two best players more seasoning (which they really need).

You can wait and wait ... And maybe that could have been a good option too.

But the Celtics' situation should show you that's only true in theory.

And don't see much better positions to be in than ours right now. We can have a team with almost 4 allstars and 3 of them still have room for improvement. Give me a scenario that would have been better and as sure as this one.

Celtics could still re-sign Kyrie and trade for AD. And as far as scenarios go, we can all make up a thousand but the one actually occurring is far from sure.

Well, reality is that Philadelphia's chances of starting 2019-2020 season with Butler and Harris on their squad is a lot bigger than the Celtics having Irving and Davis (and even if they have them on their squad, Sixers are better).

So that's why you trade for them. To increase your chances (and own the best chances!) on having them on your squad.
It's not making up a scenario, this is a (economic) reality.
If we haven't made the trade, than we were making up scenario's.

That's what Boston is doing now. That ... and praying. A lot.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#403 » by James40 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:40 am

Freaking Raptors gonna win the championship, stupid 4 bounces. Makes me even happier that the Sixers have a starter that can’t shoot past 7ft, awesome.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,725

Post#404 » by the_process » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:40 am

It is both amazing and disheartening that Toronto is on the cusp of winning an NBA championship. No way Kawhi leaves.

The League Office Rejects have their work cut out for them. I think it’s safe to say that Harris and Butler are getting their 5-188 deals, though.
the_process
RealGM

Post#405 » by the_process » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:45 am

James40 wrote:Freaking Raptors gonna win the championship, stupid 4 bounces. Makes me even happier that the Sixers have a starter that can’t shoot past 7ft, awesome.

Ben Simmons is on the clock as of now. This team is not waiting around for him to develop.

Imagine if they had traded him for Kawhi...
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#406 » by James40 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:48 am

the_process wrote:
James40 wrote:Freaking Raptors gonna win the championship, stupid 4 bounces. Makes me even happier that the Sixers have a starter that can’t shoot past 7ft, awesome.

Ben Simmons is on the clock as of now. This team is not waiting around for him to develop.

Imagine if they had traded him for Kawhi...

The Sixers would have crushed these Warriors and Kawhi would be staying in Philly.
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#407 » by BigSleep333 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:49 am

im so sick of it. this could have been our year, our window. dubs without durant are very beatable like we all just saw and we got the coming champs to a freaking 4 bouncing gamewinner in game 7. :banghead:

hope jimmy stays and we will spend the rest of capspace wisely to round out that roster. if jojo somehow manages to be in shape next playoffs, the trophy is ours
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,754

Post#408 » by Sixersftw » Sat Jun 8, 2019 3:58 am

Im bitter but I cant hate on the raps or their fans. I honestly think this team is going to come back on a mission. We proved we are a top tier team, next year we finish it.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#409 » by reignfire » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:22 am

The reason why the Sixers played the Raptors well is not because they are a great team. It's because they are a huge mismatch for the Raps.

But the Bucks and Celtics are a mismatch for the Sixers.

Styles make fights.
the_process
RealGM

Post#410 » by the_process » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:45 am

reignfire wrote:The reason why the Sixers played the Raptors well is not because they are a great team. It's because they are a huge mismatch for the Raps.

Styles make fights.

Yeah, I think the Sixers would’ve hung with the Bucks. Even money they would’ve beaten them IMO.

As for the Celtics, that’s more mental than anything. They still live inside the Sixers heads for the time being.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#411 » by Wilfried » Sat Jun 8, 2019 5:05 am

reignfire wrote:The reason why the Sixers played the Raptors well is not because they are a great team. It's because they are a huge mismatch for the Raps.

Styles make fights.

Well, Bucks and Celtics probably won't be as strong next season so we have options
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#412 » by cool93 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 9:34 am

Styles make fights.
Ummm it's actually the opposite. Toronto is a bad match up for us and Bucks is the best one of top tier teams. Bucks have no one to guard Embiid. And we have 2 players who can somewhat guard Giannis, he would get his, but others could stay with shooters.

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,414

Post#413 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 10:37 am

Styles make fights.

Nah, the Sixers are actually good.

Embiid is a monster defensively and can have his way offensively against anyone not named Marc Gasol. Butler is still an elite 2-way player. Harris is a decent scorer. Reddick is a reliable sharp shooter. And although I don't think he contributes anything on offence, Simmons is a rock solid defender.

You have more talent than the Bucks, by a fairly wide margin. The Bucls rely purely on a system. If you slow down Giannis, the Bucks don't really have anyone who can pick up the slack. You guys have a number of scoring options and the personnel to slow him down.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#414 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 8, 2019 11:40 am

Toronto was the worst possible matchup for the 76ers in the playoffs. But we had 'em! Until Embiid decided to go hang out at the Trevor Noah concert the night before game 4, and get a stomach ache. That decision is gonna haunt Joel for a long time.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
the_process
RealGM

Post#415 » by the_process » Sat Jun 8, 2019 1:41 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:

Styles make fights.

Embiid is a monster defensively and can have his way offensively against anyone not named Marc Gasol. Butler is still an elite 2-way player. Harris is a decent scorer. Reddick is a reliable sharp shooter. And although I don't think he contributes anything on offence, Simmons is a rock solid defender.

You have more talent than the Bucks, by a fairly wide margin. The Bucls rely purely on a system. If you slow down Giannis, the Bucks don't really have anyone who can pick up the slack. You guys have a number of scoring options and the personnel to slow him down.

Grats. It certainly looks as if you guys are about to win a title.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#416 » by hookshot199 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 5:11 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:

Styles make fights.

Well, I'm pulling for you and hopefully, after this season is over, you keep Kawhi and Durant moves on.
I don't think you could have competed with Golden State had Durant played. Nobody could have.

That said, the key to closing this out is continued intelligent use of your bench (VanVleet, in particular,
covering Curry) and Gasol, Ibaka and Lowry not making stupid fouls.

As for the Sixers, I believe we would have won game 7 had our coach used his bench. The original sin,
however: He ran Embiid into the ground. Your organization managed Kawhi's minutes. I believe that
is why our owner appears to have interjected himself into changing the medical team, bringing in a
shooting coach, and hiring an executive assistant who (hopefully) can replace Brown mid-season if he
doesn't get with the program.

Anyway, good luck!!!
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,535

Post#417 » by 76ciology » Sun Jun 9, 2019 5:48 pm

Looking very much improved
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#418 » by Eyeamok » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:38 pm

76ciology wrote:

Looking very much improved

KJ McDaniels:

I wonder if he had taken the Hinkie special and stayed with the 76ers if he would have got a bigger pay day than the 10 million he ended up with? I mean Grant worked that Hinkie special into a nice pay day. That experience counts for a lot.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,804

Post#419 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Durant getting an opportunity to change his narrative tonight.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,804

Post#420 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Pelicans about to get a garbage return on this trade.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers