ImageImage

The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2023-2024 Edition!

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Re: The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2017-2018 Edition! 

Post#841 » by DusterBuster » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:42 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I see wet-blanket mode is still engaged as ever.... jeez

sorry...but seriously, how could the Blazers have competed with that Toronto package? Turner + Meyers + the 25th pick? Memphis would have seen no value in that. Mo + Meyers is slightly better, but still, not enough. Valanciuanas & Wright are good players, both 26 years old and entering their primes. Portland simply didn't have the assets to compete in a quality-for-quality-give-to-get trade.

I wasn't saying they could have competed with it, just what if the Grizzlies had decided to take the Blazers offer when they initially had offered it if they were more aggressive in trying to unload Gasol early. I never was trying to suggest the Blazers could have offered a better deal than Toronto.

and yeah, I'm kind of sour on seeing Lillard get swarmed for 4 straight years in the playoffs and the Blazers still not having an answer for it. IMO, Nurk would have helped a little but not enough to turn 0-4 into 4-2 or 4-3

You're more than welcome to your bitter world view on that, personally I see it differently. I see a team that held large double digit leads late in 3 of the 4 games and was just missing having a second offensive facet to their game to change things up once defenses adjusted. Nurkic provides that secondary wrinkle to the Blazers offense with his pick and roll offense, passing and his size inside that no other Blazer can replicate and it makes the Blazers simply didn't have that so they were limited in what they could do.

Those games were not far away from turning out differently, people act like they were all these massive blowouts where the Blazers were wholly uncompetitive and that's just not the case.

I'll seriously never understand how people can be so unhappy / discontent with a 50 win quality team that's competing at such a high level....
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#842 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jun 8, 2019 6:49 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

sorry...but seriously, how could the Blazers have competed with that Toronto package? Turner + Meyers + the 25th pick? Memphis would have seen no value in that. Mo + Meyers is slightly better, but still, not enough. Valanciuanas & Wright are good players, both 26 years old and entering their primes. Portland simply didn't have the assets to compete in a quality-for-quality-give-to-get trade.

I wasn't saying they could have competed with it, just what if the Grizzlies had decided to take the Blazers offer when they initially had offered it if they were more aggressive in trying to unload Gasol early. I never was trying to suggest the Blazers could have offered a better deal than Toronto.

that's fine, except for that you called me a wet blanket...

when people have wished Olshey would have included CJ in an attempt to trade for Paul George, you were there saying KP wasn't going to trade with Portland. When people have daydreamed about Portland doing whatever they could to have had a shot at Kawhi, you were right there pointing out how the Spurs were pretty determined to ship him to the east. I'm sure you were, in your mind, being a realist instead of a wet blanket. I guess one guy's realism is another guy's wet blanket

and yeah, I'm kind of sour on seeing Lillard get swarmed for 4 straight years in the playoffs and the Blazers still not having an answer for it. IMO, Nurk would have helped a little but not enough to turn 0-4 into 4-2 or 4-3

You're more than welcome to your bitter world view on that

LOL...yeah right...."bitter world view"

DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#843 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:27 am

The NBA is gonna look drastically different next year....
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#844 » by Norm2953 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:50 am

Going to be an interestng free agency period for with Durant likely going down with
an achillies, it makes the competition for the elite talents more intense.

It makes one wonder if KD had a strained achilles like so many suspected after missing
one month from an announced injury that normally takes two weeks to return from. The
team doctor from the GSW is in real trouble as is the GSW team management for trying
to protect KD. Hopefully for Durant's sake, its not a full tear but perhaps NO will decide
the put everything in one basket approach is not for Portland and stay away from AD.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,827

Post#845 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:03 am

Norm2953 wrote:Going to be an interestng free agency period for with Durant likely going down with

It makes one wonder if KD had a strained achilles like so many suspected after missing
one month from an announced injury that normally takes two weeks to return from. The
team doctor from the GSW is in real trouble as is the GSW team management for trying
to protect KD. Hopefully for Durant's sake, its not a full tear but perhaps NO will decide
the put everything in one basket approach is not for Portland and stay away from AD.

Hey remember when you repeatedly suggested the crazy rumors that Durant was healthy and was holding out to protect his free agency?

Welp.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#846 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:10 am

Norm2953 wrote:Going to be an interestng free agency period for with Durant likely going down with

You can't build a roster from a place of fear. Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game. Any and every player can get injured. Your goal as a GM is to put together the most talented roster possible. Any GM who doesn't make a trade because he's worried of a player potentially getting hurt sometime down the line would never make any moves.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#847 » by Norm2953 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:

Hey remember when you repeatedly suggested the crazy rumors that Durant was healthy and was holding out to protect his free agency?

Welp.

I also mentioned KD had an achilles injury but I suppose nothing in sports should be a surprise if a team
tried to hide the nature of the injury.

I do hope for Durant's sake its not a full tear ala Matthews but I'm old enough to remember the problems the
Blazers training staff had with bone spur Bill. Dr. Cook and Portland's training staff went through all sorts of
grief with Walton, Bowie and I don't envy the GSW training staff and management if they tried to deceive the
public with the true nature of Durant's achilles strain. Now with Durant going down, its quite possible he'll
now opt to stay with the GSW and undergoe the rehab with them for no other team will throw the max at
him with this injury.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#848 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:39 am

Norm2953 wrote:

Welp.

I also mentioned KD had an achilles injury but I suppose nothing in sports should be a surprise if a team

I do hope for Durant's sake its not a full tear ala Matthews but I'm old enough to remember the problems the
Blazers training staff had with bone spur Bill. Dr. Cook and Portland's training staff went through all sorts of
grief with Walton, Bowie and I don't envy the GSW training staff and management if they tried to deceive the
public with the true nature of Durant's achilles strain. Now with Durant going down, its quite possible he'll
now opt to stay with the GSW and undergoe the rehab with them for no other team will throw the max at
him with this injury.

He never had an achilles injury. His first injury was a calf, but when go out and play on an injured leg, other parts of your leg over-compensate for the piece that's ailing. This is Greg Oden 101 stuff here. The previous calf injury caused tonights achilles injury. There was nothing being covered up.

I don't understand why there's this huge contingency of fans who assume no one is going to throw the max at him. Yes they will. A team will do so with the understanding that Year 1 is basically a redshirt year for KD and will be spent building the roster around him for Year 2.

Again, the Mavs willingly gave Wes Matthews a 64million dollar deal 4-5mo after the exact same injury we're assuming KD has. If a team was willing to take that risk at that high of money, you can damn be sure someone will take that risk for KD.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,827

Post#849 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:50 am

Norm2953 wrote:

Welp.

him with this injury.

Every single team will throw the max at him that can. Literally every single one. This isn't a Boogie Cousins situation. Boogie was a great player, but he doesn't have the skills and talent of a Durant. The only team, the literal only team I could see who might be wary is the Lakers since they may want to focus that cap space on someone who can help next year because of LEBron's age and the possibility of trading for AD.

But even then, the Lakers would too.

If Durant shows interest, any team that has the means will offer him a four year max deal without hesitation.

He is that great.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#850 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:58 am

Norm2953 wrote:

Welp.

him with this injury.

Every single team will throw the max at him that can. Literally every single one. This isn't a Boogie Cousins situation. Boogie was a great player, but he doesn't have the skills and talent of a Durant. The only team, the literal only team I could see who might be wary is the Lakers since they may want to focus that cap space on someone who can help next year because of LEBron's age and the possibility of trading for AD.

But even then, the Lakers would too.

If Durant shows interest, any team that has the means will offer him a four year max deal without hesitation.

He is that great.

Another reason the Boogie comparison holds absolutely no water is that a lot of teams were already tepid about offering him big money because of his questionable attitude on the court and in the lockerroom. The injury just made their decision not to pay him infinitely easier.

As you said and as I've been saying all night on the GB, this will not affect his FA at all. Every team with cap space will still gladly give him the full max if they can.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#851 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:06 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:Every single team will throw the max at him that can. Literally every single one. .

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254161/Warriors-Knicks-Nets-Lakers-Clippers-Still-Expected-To-Be-All-In-On-Kevin-Durant

Yep.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#852 » by d-train » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

I believe Nurk could have turned 0-4 into 4-2 or 4-3. It's not how good Nurk is. It's the impact he adds to Lillard and CJ.

The only answer to the defense that works against Lillard is Lillard has to pass better. Teams can't cheat if Lillard gets better at passing out of traps. Of course, Nurkic would have helped by giving Lillard a highpost target. It's harder to improve Lillard's skill than it is to give him easier options.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#853 » by JasonStern » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:47 am

Dame would have made that 3.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#854 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:53 am

JasonStern wrote:Dame would have made that 3.

Having Klay miss a couple games would have helped things too.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#855 » by Masterfully » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:05 am

Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#856 » by Shem » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:17 am

"Oh Canada..."
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
d-train
RealGM

Post#857 » by d-train » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:35 am

Raptors should start right away working on Leonard. The more time that passes the more his family will influence his free agent decision.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#858 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:38 am

d-train wrote:Raptors should start right away working on Leonard. The more time that passes the more his family will influence his free agent decision.

Does it matter? Even if he leaves, that championship is there forever and his statue/jersey retirement dates are being jotted down on a calendar in stone.

I'm sure they'd love to keep him and get a shot at another one, but at this point, anything else from him in Toronto is just gravy.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#859 » by dunlop212 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Every year folks post that there is no point in playing the season because [super team] will win the title. And they often do -- if they stay healthy.
d-train
RealGM

Post#860 » by d-train » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:58 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
d-train wrote:Raptors should start right away working on Leonard. The more time that passes the more his family will influence his free agent decision.

Does it matter? Even if he leaves, that championship is there forever and his statue/jersey retirement dates are being jotted down on a calendar in stone.

I'm sure they'd love to keep him and get a shot at another one, but at this point, anything else from him in Toronto is just gravy.

Yeah, the trade paid off for the Raptors. They still want to keep Leonard. The best chance is now and everyday that passes their chance of keeping him is less.

Does Raptors success mean Popovich and Spurs screwed up? If trading for Leonard for just 1 chance at a championship was worth it, then why would it not be worth keeping him for just 1 more year to win a championship?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers