ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - 2019 NBA Finals Edition

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Predict the Finals

Raps in 4
20%
Raptors in 5
19%
Raptors in 6
15%
Raptors in 7
10%
Warriors in 7
5%
Warriors in 6
18%
Warriors in 5
9%
Warriors in 4
3%

Total votes: 88

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Re: Around the NBA - 2019 NBA Finals Edition 

Post#1761 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 am

EricAnderson wrote:
GONYK wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:We traded away KP to free up space that may be used on nothing now.

Gave away a promising young player/huge asset for a couple of first round picks that won’t evsn be that good a picks

He was leaving anyway. If he committed, we wouldn't have traded him.

We traded him for pennies on the dollar.

If somebody told you last year where gonna trade KP for basically two mid first round picks you’d laugh at them

how much more did you think you would get than 2 FRP, DSJ, and all the fries (cap relief) you can gimme?

edit: i actually don't care. this has been derailing enough.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,352

Post#1762 » by F N 11 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:55 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

LOVE this man

He’s right. People forget to be human over a damn game. We really do get too crazy sometimes with this sports chit.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,352

Post#1763 » by F N 11 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:57 am

Here we go with this we traded KP for nothing bs. Nothing is set in stone.

We traded KP bc He didn’t wanna be here. We got a young guard in DSJ, cap space, and future assets. Stop the fuqery.

The pelicans pretty much looking for that deal and an all star. So stop with the bullchit.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1764 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 pm

K-DOT wrote:So, if it is an achilles, that leads me to believe his 1st injury was legit, at least more serious than the Warriors were letting on

I'm out on him, you just don't gamble on achilles injuries. You can count on one hand the number of guys who come back from an achilles and are even remotely close to what they used to be, it's possible he's still KD when he comes back, but super unlikely

Which means we should be out of the AD race. I thought we would be better waiting until KD got here to sign him, but if it is an achilles, then that's not much to pair with AD, and while Kawhi and AD would be a great pairing, nobody knows where Kawhi ends up. Yeah, you could argue that we have a stronger case for him with AD, but at the same time, that's not a certainty either, and we end up trading for AD and signing like, Middleton and Harris or something. Who are fine players, but not enough to take us over, even with AD.

If AD isn't traded before free agency, and Kawhi signs here, obviously that changes everything. But all reports say the Pelicans want a deal done by draft night

I just feel bad for KD. Especially being cheered for getting injured, that's classless

yeah, here on RealMD we got folks talking real greasy about dude not really being hurt.

people really need to stfu about what they don't know for sure.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1765 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 pm

F N 11 wrote:Here we go with this we traded KP for nothing bs. Nothing is set in stone.

We traded KP bc He didn’t wanna be here. We got a young guard in DSJ, cap space, and future assets. Stop the fuqery.

The pelicans pretty much looking for that deal and an all star. So stop with the bullchit.

let's drop it. the thread has been derailed enough with that.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,958

Post#1766 » by Besart19 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Mitch / Cousins
Durant / Knox
Leonard / Dotson
Barrett / Trier
Smith / Ntilikina
Strength and Honour!
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,235

Post#1767 » by Zenzibar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
bleedblue3303 wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:
The worst thing to happen in the history of the franchise is James Dolan's ownership.

I have to be honest I'm getting tired of everyone always blaming Dolan. The man has had nothing to do with the organization for quite a while. The world begged him to hire Donnie Walsh. Donnie screwed up the Lebron James Free agency which was basically his sole purpose to exist. The world begged him to hire Phil Jackson. he did and took a step back. People than begged him to fire the man. he did. Now with Perry and Mills in Front office and Fizsdale as coach we seems to be building something. He hasn't interfered.

Dolan has not been a great owner. But he was willing to take chances and throw money at building a winner. Now he is still willing to do both and leave it in the hands of competent basketball people.

Revisionist thinking.

LeBron was never coming here and Dolan was reading off a cue card and mumbling during the LeBron presentation anyway.

Nobody begged him to hire Phil Jackson as president at 70 years old with zero GM experience. He could have paid anyone that money. He could have went after an actual GM like Ujiri. The guy always chased the names over the actual basketball acumen. Just like the Isiah hire. Nobody begged for that either.

If you sucked at your job you wouldn't last 20 years. Dolan has. Stop giving him excuses. If he was a player, coach or GM you would be trashing him and his record, which is the worst in the entire league since 2001. That's not a made up statistic either.

Screw James Dolan and anyone who tries to pass him off as an asset to the franchise.

Spoiler:

User warned for... well... - Cap
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,235

Post#1768 » by Zenzibar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:13 pm

FKF wrote:
bleedblue3303 wrote:
Oscirus wrote:How many people have been coming to the Knicks according to the media that never came?

I can tell you he was coming. Believe me or not. I know for a fact. He was coming.

These posts are worth **** without backup. And by NBA rules, no one can make such statement prior to July 1 anyway. If the Knicks thought free agency started in November, they're stupid. If they thought last night's injury affected them, even more stupid.

Number one, the Knicks had/have equal chances to sign KD, as the Nets or Clippers. That's in a scenario he does leave San Francisco.
Number two, even if Durant signs in NY, and even healthy, it has been proven times and times again in the NBA, that one player cannot and doesn't make the impact. The Pelicans have had Anthony Davis for years. Losing squad. The Lakers signed LeBron, missed the play-offs. Shall I go further ? Durant has been WCF with Westbrook and Harden. He's been NBA champs with Curry, Thompson and Green. Who can he compete with in NY ? Even if you get Kyrie, who's the frontline ? who's in the starting lineup ? where's the bench ?

It is a TEAM culture and plan which will eventually restore the Knicks to higher standards.
That's what most folks in the United States fail to understand. The Knicks can sign Durant, and STILL remain in the lottery. So they shouldn't ever feel KD's injury impacts their plans. It doesn't. What they should be concerned with, is their draft picks, their coaching staff, and their coming up training camps.

If they had spent half the time they spent lobbying for KD, on trying to grow the players they already own, people would see where they're going, and people would want to come and join. They don't understand that.
For years, they didn't have cap space, they were the last franchise to properly understand the CBA. Now they have cap space, they promote it like it is enough to build a winner. Ask Gregg Popovich or Pat Riley, if cap space is enough to build a winner.

Look at how the Warriors and Raptors built themselves. How many years did it take for these teams to compete at a higher level, then at a higher level, then a higher level, now up to contending. The Knicks are soooooo far away from contending, it's not even funny anymore and I don't know where to start to explain. I swear they could get Curry and Thompson, this summer, and still struggle to make the play-offs with such a dysfunctional organization Steve Kerr didn't want to touch, even with his old coach and friend if the upper office.

And y'all buy the Jim Dolan Kool Aid. Amazing how this owner keeps his crowd to buy, and to buy, and to buy again and ever all the BS moves and plans his Knicks have had in two decades. The owner is not just the guy who pays the money. That's another ridiculous thing to believe. That is what Dolan wants you to believe, since he'll always be capable of doing so.

The owner is the top of the franchise, the top of the culture. They all talk about how great the owners are in Golden State. And how bad she is in Lala Land since papa died. Explain why Mike D'Antoni does well only outside of NY and LA. Mike could surely explain you why, without microphones.

Open your eyes. I have wasted 20 yrs of my life hoping for my Knicks with Jim Dolan on top. Dolan has wasted the legacies of some of this game's greatness who happened to work for him. I've stopped worrying and I managed to understand Dolan always finds a way to screw up. I feel so much better now!

Another KD getting hurt is Jim Dolan's fault... :lol:
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#1769 » by NYKHardKnock » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Besart19 wrote:Mitch / Cousins
Durant / Knox
Leonard / Dotson
Barrett / Trier
Smith / Ntilikina
Honestly, I couldn’t wait for a response from you Besart. Didn’t disappoint :lol:
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#1770 » by ITGM » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:21 pm

The Knicks got royally screwed last night! SMFH
egelband
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#1771 » by egelband » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:24 pm

I wonder if this injury want just a matter of time thing.
Either way, I hope he recovers soon and fully.
I dunno.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,594

Post#1772 » by Stannis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Well his first injury was a calf injury. This one was an achilles. Is there a chance these two were not related?
Free Palestine
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#1773 » by ny-n-md » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:56 pm

egelband wrote:I wonder if this injury want just a matter of time thing.
Either way, I hope he recovers soon and fully.

Probably so. The human body was not made for all these miles on joints and tendons without something giving at some point.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1774 » by Stannis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:https://streamable.com/gvj6z
It looks like he tore his Achilles

damn

Jeez. Looks like a full tear from there
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1775 » by Stannis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:01 pm

I'm not even upset about Knicks not getting him or anything. I don't think any fans have a right to be mad about that. He wasn't on the team. We don't know what he was going to do. Can't just expect a FA to walk into the city and save us. You have to keep building.

Anyway, I just genuinely feel bad for this guy. GS forced his way back. He was playing great. Gave GSW some good shots and defense. And he goes down and the freaking crowd cheers. That's gotta hurt.

Hope he has a speedy recovery.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1776 » by Stannis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Raptors fans being classy and civilized. That Canadian hospitality...

Read on Twitter

I got nothing against Canadians. But I was getting tired of people talking about Rap fans like they were from another planet who only showed love and respect.
Free Palestine
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#1777 » by 2010 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:24 pm

MadMaximum wrote:
2010 wrote:
MadMaximum wrote:
This is fabrication. Pop wanted to shut Kawhi down for the entire year. Kawhi's uncle kept refusing, saying he'll be back to play in a week. Two weeks. A Month. Why? Kawhi had a Nike shoe deal that needed to be renewed and players that miss an entire season worth of basketball don't really receive favorable endorsement deals. He played two weeks worth of games - these games coincided with the Nike negotiations for a new contract. When Nike told them they wouldn't give them anything more than 20 mil, Uncle Dennis walked and promptly shut Kawhi down for the season.

Spurs have always been risk-averse with their players. When prime Duncan received an injury at the tail end of the 2000 season, they shut him down for the entire playoffs despite doctors clearing him to play. They opted to play it safe instead of defending their title. When Robinson hurt his back in 1997, they shut him down for the entire season despite being cleared to play in February. Pop invented the whole resting players gimmick in order to protect their longevity. He even got fined by the NBA for resting his players on nationally televised games. Everybody in the media criticized him for resting his guys too much and now they want to present a false narrative about him being a Thibodeau type slave driver. Make up your minds.

There are two sides to every story. Clearly we're on separate sides. You can't deny the Spurs attempts to pressure Kawhi to play.

I can deny because it didn't happen. Let's see who's more reliable? The coach that was cautious enough to shut down HOFers like Tim Duncan and David Robinson in their prime, protecting them from further injury. The same coach that revolutionized the longevity of his players careers by sitting them out throughout the regular season(lol at Raptors pretending they're doing anything new here with Leonard). Remember the collective media whining about Pop sitting out Duncan, Parker, Manu, Leonard against the Heat in a regular season game? Protecting the health of your players was a bad thing back then but apparently it's now a good thing? Pop was fined by the league for RESTING his guys. He didn't care. He payed the fines and continued to rest his players.

Or you could take the word of a bank manager from New Jersey who has an axe to grind with his nephew's former team because they refused to offer him a front office position and didn't let him wander around the training facility(like he's doing now for the Raptors). The same uncle that refused all advice from the Spurs, like leaving the hotel early during all-star weekend and ended up stuck in traffic for hours with his nephew.

2010 wrote:Vets were even prodded to goad Kawhi into coming back. Which is why Parker questioned Kawhi's toughness. Privately and publicly.

Spurs are not a plantation. Players are free to act on their own free will. That's why it's called a players only meeting. Danny Green himself(Kawhi's teammate on the Raptors) said the whole thing's been blown out of proportion. Danny has no loyalty to the Spurs or Kawhi's uncle so he's the most neutral party here. The "heated, emotional team meeting orchestrated by Pop" was all nonsense peddled by Stephen Jackson who's still bitter that he was waived off the team the year before the Spurs won their title against the Heat. He wanted playing time over Manu and Danny Green. Pop told him to his face you're not better than either one of those guys which has triggered him ever since. But yeah, let's trust the word of a guy who lost his front teeth after he got hit by a car because he fired multiple shots outside an Indiana strip club. The same guy that nearly beat a handicapped man to death in a parking lot.

If Leonard and Uncle Dennis truly felt wronged by the Spurs staffers over his injuries, why did they request to be traded to the Lakers? The team that ended Steve Nash's career and achilled Kobe to death. The same medical staff that misdiagnosed Karl Malone's knee injury and rushed him to recovery too soon, ending his career during the NBA Finals(sound familiar to Durant). The same medical staff that are risking the life of Ingram(who has blood clot problems) by clearing him for basketball activities just so they can trade him for A Davis. The same medical staff that caused Lebron to miss 25+ games for the first time in his career(he played 82 games last season). The team who's youngsters are all injury prone for some mysterious reason.

Or maybe, it's just an excuse to play in a bigger market.

You clearly have an undying loyalty to the Spurs and you're painting this as Dennis having an axe to grind with the organization but at the same time you are villainizing Dennis.

Sure Pop revolutionized load management and got fines and backlash for it. No one is denying that. Time turns reactions to revolutionary thinking and sways opinions on practices never seen or heard before. But that does not exclude the Spurs front office and Pop from misdiagnosing the quad injury and attempting to rush him back for a playoff run. Doesn't exclude them from pushing media pressure on Kawhi by saying they don't know why he is still out or rehabbing away from the team. Doesn't exclude them from prodding vets to get a commitment from Kawhi. The Spurs are not completely free of dirt on their hands. Pop even offended Parker which is why Parker left for the Hornets.

Prove Dennis just has an axe to grind over denial of access. You are attempting to paint Dennis as Janis Porzingis or Lavar Ball which he certainly is not. Then you insinuate this was all a push to get Kawhi to a big market. You and I both know Kawhi doesn't give a damn about a big market. He isn't built like that mentally. He cares about either playing close to home (LA) or close to Dennis (NY). If it is Toronto it is cuz of winning and becoming legendary in Canada. But the fallout was NOT over clamoring for a bigger market. As for the Knicks situation I can verify Dennis trusts and respects the Knicks front office. Specifically the Perry family. That is why NY is on his list. They like the city as it's basically home to Dennis, they like the medical professionals in NY, and they like Perry. They don't give a damn a out media attention or the market.

Captain Jack is a lot of things but a liar he is not. Sure he has been involved in some extra curricular things in his life. He came from the bottom and has made some bad decisions at times (Malice in the Palace, strip club incident, etc). But dude was respected in every locker room he has been in. People don't respect liars. And back to when the gun shots were fired and he got hit by the car. Let's not act like he was doing something criminal then. He was in a bad situation and being rushed by dudes during beef. He bucked off in the air to scatter bodies and difuse a bad situation that was about to get worse.

The Lakers didn't achilles Kobe to death. Kobe achillied Kobe to death. Cuz all time greats often are so competitive that they push themselves past limits and don't know when to bow out or give in.

You had 9 posts when you responded. You either work for the Spurs org or have some specific tie to them. You have spent 2 of your 11 posts defending the Spurs vehemently. Which is why I said clearly there are two sides to every story and we are on separate sides.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#1778 » by FutureKnicksGM » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Prayers up to KD. Sacrificed his body to help his team get another ring, and paid the ultimate price.

He probably just opts in, but I would throw him a 3 year max deal with last year a team option.

KD sits out next season while we tank. He comes back in 2020-2021. If he looks the goods, accept his option the next year, if not decline it and hit the loaded 2021 class. KD gets a guaranteed $78 mill either way, plus whatever he gets off the court in NY.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1779 » by Stannis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:29 pm

FutureKnicksGM wrote:KD sits out next season while we tank. He comes back in 2020-2021. If he looks the goods, accept his option the next year, if not decline it and hit the loaded 2021 class. KD gets a guaranteed $78 mill either way, plus whatever he gets off the court in NY.

Man this is some serious wishful thinking.

I think we just have to accept, that it's best to pass on KD now. You can try to offer him a team option, in the case that he returns well. But players like him don't get team options.
Free Palestine
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,967

Post#1780 » by Capn'O » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:36 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:Now that KD might not come, I really hope Knicks fans can appreciate Durant's greatness anyway. Bashing him was always idiotic and we now see where this has led.

Would you still offer him the max this summer?

I was never in the camp of bashing him for his GS decision either. He made a professional decision over a competitive one. As many of us do all the time. What's wild is that it took this to turn him into a sympathetic figure again.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks