ImageImage

OT: Music Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,654

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#761 » by MikeIsGood » Fri May 31, 2019 1:56 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:I've been listening to this Scott Hutchison (of Frightened Rabbit) tribute show quite a bit lately. Features Ben Gibbard, Craig Finn, and some others.

https://m.soundcloud.com/frightened-rabbit/sets/a-celebration-of-the-songs-of-scott-hutchison-live-at-rough-trade-nyc

Thanks for this. Loved Frightened Rabbit and with sorrow think about Scott Hutchinson's death each time I hear a song. This is quite the quartet here - Gibbard and Finn, but also Julien Baker (who sang with Hutchinson on How It Gets In) and Aaron Dessner.

Will listen to this tomorrow during work.

EDIT: Oh! And Kevin Devine! And Jenny Elisqu kicking things off, with emotion. ****.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Post#762 » by MissKhriddleton » Fri May 31, 2019 3:14 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:I've been listening to this Scott Hutchison (of Frightened Rabbit) tribute show quite a bit lately. Features Ben Gibbard, Craig Finn, and some others.

https://m.soundcloud.com/frightened-rabbit/sets/a-celebration-of-the-songs-of-scott-hutchison-live-at-rough-trade-nyc

Thanks for this. Loved Frightened Rabbit and with sorrow think about Scott Hutchinson's death each time I hear a song. This is quite the quartet here - Gibbard and Finn, but also Julien Baker (who sang with Hutchinson on How It Gets In) and Aaron Dessner.

Will listen to this tomorrow during work.

EDIT: Oh! And Kevin Devine! And Jenny Elisqu kicking things off, with emotion. ****.

I didn't know Julien Baker before this but she's probably my favorie part. Mental health is a bitch.

You can download the show here:

https://www.stereogum.com/2036848/scott-hutchison-tribute-live-recording-ben-gibbard-julien-baker-frightened-rabbit/music/album-stream/
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,105

Post#763 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri May 31, 2019 1:07 pm

Hozier was incredible at The Rave last night. A poet with a once-in-a-generation voice. And stage presence to boot. Had to keep my wife a safe distance from the stage. :D
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#764 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:38 am

Guys, looking for a little help. Have had a song stuck in my head for about a month and it's killing me everytime I think of it and can't come up with it. This is me whistling the part that repeats over and over, and the end of the hook. Hip hop. I think maybe early 2000s? I could have sworn it was in NBA Street, but I can't find it in any of the soundtracks. Help :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oz5rkgcTqSngMXupcpIupfamAPQ1iYaB/view?usp=sharing
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#765 » by jmart762 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 4:28 am

Extremely excited to see him at Bonnaroo in 2 weeks. He doesn't look like what I expected.
JimmyTheKid wrote:Hozier was incredible at The Rave last night. A poet with a once-in-a-generation voice. And stage presence to boot. Had to keep my wife a safe distance from the stage. :D

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,962

Post#766 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 4, 2019 7:19 pm

New Strung Out is excellent. Sounds like something you would hear on Twisted by Design...let me check my notes...over 20 years ago!
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#767 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:50 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I always found it funny growing up that Jay-Z sampled one of the most famous Arabian musicians of all time - Abdel Halim Hafez - on his song "Big Pimpin'." He sampled the beats from his song, "Khosara Khosara," which was released in 1960. My dad used to listen to him all the time growing up, so when Jay-Z released Big Pimpin', I immediately recognized the beat. Jay-Z and Timbaland have avoided paying rights fees for it so far, which is **** of them, but it's business.

I'mma quote you here so that we don't get the music thread shut down :)

The Verve finally are getting paid rights for Bittersweet Symphony. I'm not sure how the situations compare - maybe the reverse? But thought that was interesting. The Verve hadn't seen a dime since 2007, and were sued for what they had seen before then, also.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#768 » by stellation » Wed Jun 5, 2019 9:39 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I always found it funny growing up that Jay-Z sampled one of the most famous Arabian musicians of all time - Abdel Halim Hafez - on his song "Big Pimpin'." He sampled the beats from his song, "Khosara Khosara," which was released in 1960. My dad used to listen to him all the time growing up, so when Jay-Z released Big Pimpin', I immediately recognized the beat. Jay-Z and Timbaland have avoided paying rights fees for it so far, which is **** of them, but it's business.

I'mma quote you here so that we don't get the music thread shut down :)

The Verve finally are getting paid rights for Bittersweet Symphony. I'm not sure how the situations compare - maybe the reverse? But thought that was interesting. The Verve hadn't seen a dime since 2007, and were sued for what they had seen before then, also.

The Verve finally getting their money is great. I'm all for paying royalties to the original artists when you sample a song, but I've always thought that was bollocks; they sampled an orchestral reworking (that they did get permission to use, but apparently used a bar too much?) that didn't exactly sound the same as the original Stones song, and the Stones manager (Mick/Keith are not innocent here, they could have called off the dogs) came calling and took everything. I always thought it was nut- it got nominated for a Grammy with Mick and Keith listed as the songwriters!

The Verve weren't a massive band, that was their big hit, and The Stones were making crazy money touring at the time.
#FreeChuckDiesel
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,993

Post#769 » by midranger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:30 am

Went to vampire weekend with the wife. Wasn’t expecting too much, but it was a great show. Good energy and a little more jammy than I was expecting. Hope they come back to Milwaukee before 5 years this time.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#770 » by ackypoo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:46 pm

chonestown wrote:
ackypoo wrote:Music is my favorite thing. There is new music you would like. It is hard to find. I want to try to help, or give it a shot.

Those are all great. You ever check out Tommy Guerrero? He's done stuff with Ray Barbee and the M2. He put out a terrific record on MoWax that is one of my favorite comfort food records regardless of time, genre, etc.

Khruangbin should be more than a closely-held secret among the big-eared, but alas.

m2 are touring with their new album and coming to madison, playing the winnebago which i hear is a very nice venue.

i am going to try to go to that.

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,645

Post#771 » by chonestown » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:12 pm

ackypoo wrote:
chonestown wrote:
ackypoo wrote:Music is my favorite thing. There is new music you would like. It is hard to find. I want to try to help, or give it a shot.

Those are all great. You ever check out Tommy Guerrero? He's done stuff with Ray Barbee and the M2. He put out a terrific record on MoWax that is one of my favorite comfort food records regardless of time, genre, etc.

Khruangbin should be more than a closely-held secret among the big-eared, but alas.

m2 are touring with their new album and coming to madison, playing the winnebago which i hear is a very nice venue.

Dope. I'd love to go, but I'll be out of town. Had no idea Winnebago was hosting shows like that. I miss the Frequency so hopefully the Winnebago can cater to the 100 person show.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#772 » by Nightfall » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:07 pm

The new Agonist song is great :

ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#773 » by ackypoo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:30 pm

chonestown wrote:
ackypoo wrote:
chonestown wrote:

Dope. I'd love to go, but I'll be out of town. Had no idea Winnebago was hosting shows like that. I miss the Frequency so hopefully the Winnebago can cater to the 100 person show.

my 2 yazzz friends have both played there and they say its great. one of them told me its the best venue in the city.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#774 » by vital_signs » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:15 am

Good lord :bowdown:

Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Re: OT: 2017 Music Thread 

Post#775 » by vital_signs » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 am

Bucksfan28 wrote:Been loving this all weekend. Thank you Spotify.

Late as hell on a response but I definitely recommend their albums "Man it Feels like Space Again" and "Frond"
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,636

Post#776 » by emunney » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#777 » by stellation » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 pm

emunney wrote:

This is lovely.
#FreeChuckDiesel
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,993

Post#778 » by midranger » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:55 am

emunney wrote:

I was so disappointed that this was not a Cam'Ron cover.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#779 » by BroncoBuck » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:29 pm

Heads up, tickets to the Father John Misty + Jason Isbell show at the BMO Pavilion tomorrow are going pretty cheap on the secondary sites. I scored some section 9 tix for $20 a piece this morning. Wife was through the roof excited.
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#780 » by jmart762 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:23 pm

Just got back from Bonnaroo after buying tickets on a whim after the lineup got announced. Simply incredible experience. Amazing weather, awesome community, and very well run and organized venue/ event. The artists were all hype and I saw some amazing shows. Phish, Hozier, Kasey Musgraves, and Deafhaven. Odesza was at the top of my list, but The Lonely Island had a spectacular set as well. Probably gonna see them again next week at Summer Fest.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Milwaukee Bucks