Difference between Kawhi and MJ/Kobe

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

JimmerAllStar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,743

Difference between Kawhi and MJ/Kobe 

Post#1 » by JimmerAllStar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Jordan and Kobe would have pulled up and shot it over the double team on that last play. Jordan and Kobe have that killer instinct in them.

But when Kawhi saw that double team, he immediately passed the ball which ended up in a Lowry side of a backboard 3 pointer. No one is talking about how Kawhi folded like a crane origami because today is all about KD's injury.

If Lebron passed the ball up like Kawhi did, he would have been ripped by the media. Not sure why Kawhi got a pass for being meek.
Shaud
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,061

Re: Difference between Kawhi and MJ/Kobe 

Post#2 » by Shaud » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Kawhi shouldn’t be ripped and neither should Lebron when he does it.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#3 » by Mikistan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Kawhi hit a 3, got a rebound, hit a 2, hit another 3, then hit another 2 all in a row

Then he got tired

Kyle and Gasol kept trying to over-force passes to Kawhi the rest of the 4th, reverting to defer-basketball to "hope not to lose" and you want to blame Kawhi for making the proper basketball play off of no set actions and no time out on the last play.

Why is Kyle Lowry spotting up for a 3 pointer when he is only down 1?
hongdayuan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,793

Post#4 » by hongdayuan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:21 pm

He was being guarded by the oppositions two elite perimeter defenders and couldn’t even get to his spot. It was a bad sequence because raps didn’t have time to advance the ball AND set kawhi in good position, but enough time to kick it to open shooter when the double team comes.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#5 » by taikibansei » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:22 pm

The biggest difference between MJ and Kobe: MJ would have pulled up, shot over the guy and hit the shot.

Kobe would have taken the shot...and bricked it.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
See5
Junior
And1: 18

Post#6 » by See5 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:24 pm

taikibansei wrote:The biggest difference between MJ and Kobe. MJ would have pulled up, shot over the guy and hit the shot.

Nice troll. /s

No, the real difference is shot creation and playmaking.

I don’t know if the latter is really Kawhi’s fault as he has operated as a traditional forward his entire career whereas the other two were primary ballhandlers for large stretches of their careers.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,211

Post#7 » by bisme37 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:24 pm

I like players who buy into the team concept and trust their teammates. I like when guys play the right way and make the right play. It's a basketball game not an "impress random guy on the internet" contest.
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,243

Post#8 » by CraftylikeaFox » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Wow. Really bad take. Kawhi has bee a killer all playoffs and was by far the biggest reason they were in it at the end of the game. Nick Nurse inexplicably killing momentum with time outs likely prevented a complete Kawhi takeover. He was also double teamed by two of the best defenders in the league in a bad spot behind the 3 point line. He made the right play and it lead to a wide open corner three for a decent 3 point shooter.
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,513

Post#9 » by 1993Playoffs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Stop grouping Kobe with MJ
JimmerAllStar
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by JimmerAllStar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Mikistan wrote:Kawhi hit a 3, got a rebound, hit a 2, hit another 3, then hit another 2 all in a row

Then he got tired

Kyle and Gasol kept trying to over-force passes to Kawhi the rest of the 4th, reverting to defer-basketball to "hope not to lose" and you want to blame Kawhi for making the proper basketball play off of no set actions and no time out on the last play.

Why is Kyle Lowry spotting up for a 3 pointer when he is only down 1?

I've seen Jordan play enough times, and the Bulls did the same thing. They kept riding Jordan. But Jordan, no matter how tired would have taken the game-winning shot even if there were 3 or 4 defenders in front of him.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,561

Post#11 » by Calvin Klein » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:30 pm

1993Playoffs wrote:Stop grouping Kobe with MJ

Came here just to post this.

And this as well:

I have no doubt Kobe would have shot it though :lol:
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#12 » by taikibansei » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:30 pm

See5 wrote:
taikibansei wrote:The biggest difference between MJ and Kobe. MJ would have pulled up, shot over the guy and hit the shot.

Nice troll. /s

No, the real difference is shot creation and playmaking.

I don’t know if the latter is really Kawhi’s fault as he has operated as a traditional forward his entire career whereas the other two were primary ballhandlers for large stretches of their careers.

Troll post? :crazy:

Read on Twitter

And here I thought I was actually being kind.

Oh, and here's my favorite example of Kobe's "play-making" and creativity:

Apparently, nobody else on the Lakers was open.....
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
JimmerAllStar
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by JimmerAllStar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:31 pm

bisme37 wrote:I like players who buy into the team concept and trust their teammates. I like when guys play the right way and make the right play. It's a basketball game not an "impress random guy on the internet" contest.

I do too, but not for the last shot to win the game. There's a big difference between the last game-winning shot and all other shots. If Kawhi really had a killer mentality, he would have shot it. But he passed it to VanVleet who was 5 feet behind the 3pt line and heavily guarded by Livingston. So Kawhi shooting over 2 players would have been a much better play.
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,799

Post#14 » by infintybeyond » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:31 pm

C'mon OP MJ and Kobe have passed out in those situations. MJ to Kerr and Kobe to Fisher, both happened in the Finals. My only gripe about Kawhi's play was I wished he made his play sooner. Just in case the double did come, which it did, it would have given his team a little more time to adjust. Lowry had no choice but to shoot that shot over Dray. There was no time left for a pump and step in jumper.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,290

Post#15 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Lebron literally passed the ball in the same situation in game 1 of the finals a year ago. Shooting over two defenders aggressively approaching you in that situation is a bad, low percentage shot. I thought, if anything, Nick Nurse should’ve called a time out and set up a play or an isolation; the Warriors set up their defense pretty well on the fly anyway.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,909

Post#16 » by thebigbird » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Stop putting Kobe in the same breath as Jordan.
JimmerAllStar
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by JimmerAllStar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:35 pm

infintybeyond wrote:C'mon OP MJ and Kobe have passed out in those situations. MJ to Kerr and Kobe to Fisher, both happened in the Finals. My only gripe about Kawhi's play was I wished he made his play sooner. Just in case the double did come, which it did, it would have given his team a little more time to adjust. Lowry had no choice but to shoot that shot over Dray. There was no time left for a pump and step in jumper.

MJ and Kobe passed it to open guys. Kawhi passed it to VanVleet who was 5 ft behind the 3 pt line and heavily guarded by Livingston. So Kahwi passed it to an even worse shot.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#18 » by iggymcfrack » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 pm

JimmerAllStar wrote:Jordan and Kobe would have pulled up and shot it over the double team on that last play. Jordan and Kobe have that killer instinct in them.

But when Kawhi saw that double team, he immediately passed the ball which ended up in a Lowry side of a backboard 3 pointer. No one is talking about how Kawhi folded like a crane origami because today is all about KD's injury.

If Lebron passed the ball up like Kawhi did, he would have been ripped by the media. Not sure why Kawhi got a pass for being meek.

Kobe’s 5/22 career on shots to tie or take the lead with under 0:10. He would have pulled up, taken a worse shot and bricked it. Kawhi at least made a play that almost got Lowry a really good look.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#19 » by GoGreen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 pm

MJ missed shots too. He wasn't perfection. Made bad decisions. Kawhi is leading a team to a title in his first year of being on that team. He may be the best player in the NBA next year if Lebron regresses more.
JimmerAllStar
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by JimmerAllStar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:Lebron literally passed the ball in the same situation in game 1 of the finals a year ago. Shooting over two defenders aggressively approaching you in that situation is a bad, low percentage shot. I thought, if anything, Nick Nurse should’ve called a time out and set up a play or an isolation; the Warriors set up their defense pretty well on the fly anyway.

yes, and he got ripped by the media and public for doing so. When you're an elite player, you don't pass up game winning shots.

Return to The General Board