ImageImageImage

Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#941 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:47 pm

According to this board we are going to be able to sign anyone we want on the MLE...just like there was no reason to make any further moves at the deadline because of the gluten of buy outs we were surely going to sign.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#942 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:03 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:According to this board we are going to be able to sign anyone we want on the MLE...just like there was no reason to make any further moves at the deadline because of the gluten of buy outs we were surely going to sign.

Do you have any specific examples in mind where you think people are being unrealistic on MLE targets?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Post#943 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:40 pm

BullyKing wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:According to this board we are going to be able to sign anyone we want on the MLE...just like there was no reason to make any further moves at the deadline because of the gluten of buy outs we were surely going to sign.

Do you have any specific examples in mind where you think people are being unrealistic on MLE targets?

Thomas Bryant's getting the max yo
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#944 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:45 pm

BullyKing wrote:

A bunch...splitting the mle between Bryant and Rose is the last 1. Not happening
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#945 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:00 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

A bunch...splitting the mle between Bryant and Rose is the last 1. Not happening

I agree with you on that one but can't really think of any others. If anything I was surprised by your painting that with broad strokes because I think people have been generally reasonable with those targets or, if anything, underselling things when I see suggestions like Avery Bradley.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#946 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I'd be very surprised if he got anywhere close to the full midlevel but that's mostly because RFA typically get underpaid because no one wants to waste their time. Like here, there's no reason a capped out team like Washington wouldn't match a $5 million a year deal.
NYSixersFan wrote:
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#947 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:15 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I'd be very surprised if he got anywhere close to the full midlevel but that's mostly because RFA typically get underpaid because no one wants to waste their time. Like here, there's no reason a capped out team like Washington wouldn't match a $5 million a year deal.

Depends what angle they are taking. If they're doing a teardown the might just want to save the money.

That's a big issue with this free agent class, so many teams could go different directions that it's tough to project who the bargains will be. They'll be there though, just have to be patient.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#948 » by smittybanton » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:13 pm

sigh.

1. with a salary cap projected at 109m, the wizards are on the hook for 109m on only 6 contracts (beal, parker, wall, mahinmi, howard, brown). for those late to the party, the wizards are a non-playoff team who is already at the salary cap.

2. wizards free agents other than thomas bryant jr include trevor ariza, tomas satoransky, bobby portis, jeff green, and sam dekker.

3. of that 109m, 21m is already invested in two centers (howard, mahinmi)

4. with the luxury tax projected at 132m, the wizards payroll if they match $5m contracts on five free agents (ariza, sato, green, portis, bryant) equals 134m.

5. with 134m payroll and ten players, the wizards would still need to fill four or five roster spots. they do not have extra draft picks, which the sixers could give them in a "sign and trade" for thomas bryant jr.

6. included in that 134m is only 5m for satoransky, their starting point guard. if he gets 10m/yr, they're now paying 139m plus rookies for a non-playoff team. bobby portis re-signing for only $5m is also doubtful. if the wizards decline parker's 20m option, but then turn around and give him, portis and satoransky $10m apiece, they're at $119m. that's still without dwight howard's cuddle buddy trevor ariza or georgetown university's jeff green.

7. it seems likely other teams outbid the sixers for bryant jr than the wizards. but even then, thomas bryant has to choose them over a championship contender like the sixers, who can offer more minutes and a more important role than any backup in the league.

8. if we were really dead set on bryant & rose or bust, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to just use the mle on bryant and the bae on derrick rose. probably an overpay, no? particularly considering the glut of backup point guards on the market and dearth of teams in need of a one, rubio, collison, rose, rondo, mcconnell, mudiay, payton....

9. god forbid a sixers fan start with what's best for the sixers, instead of first polling each individual fan who thinks they know for certain where each prospect will be drafted or the size of every conceivable future nba contract.

10. last year it was stupid to want michael porter with our first 1st round pick, or mitchell robinson with our 2nd 1st. okc getting jerami grant and nerlens noel for 10.3m total should have been absurd, but guess what?
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#949 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:03 pm

smittybanton wrote:sigh.

9. god forbid a sixers fan start with what's best for the sixers, instead of first polling each individual fan who thinks they know for certain where each prospect will be drafted or the size of every conceivable future nba contract.

god forbid someone have the audacity to disagree with someone who presumes he knows what's best for the Sixers as opposed to everyone else who is proposing something other than that. And you discuss that we might have to give the full MLE to Bryant when the other poster's only comment was that he thought he was unrealistic to get him for $5 million - a point you seemingly agree with.
Yet you still get on your high horse. What a joke.

And "sigh" at a lot of the other stuff. Parker was salary filler but you think they're giving him $10 million a year. Dwight Howard means nothing to them but they're going to pay people he's friends with a lot of money?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#950 » by the_process » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:13 pm

W
1. with a salary cap projected at 109m, the wizards are on the hook for 109m on only 6 contracts (beal, parker, wall, mahinmi, howard, brown). for those late to the party, the wizards are a non-playoff team who is already at the salary cap.

2. wizards free agents other than thomas bryant jr include trevor ariza, tomas satoransky, bobby portis, jeff green, and sam dekker.

4. with the luxury tax projected at 132m, the wizards payroll if they match $5m contracts on five free agents (ariza, sato, green, portis, bryant) equals 134m.

5. with 134m payroll and ten players, the wizards would still need to fill four or five roster spots. they do not have extra draft picks, which the sixers could give them in a "sign and trade" for thomas bryant jr.

6. included in that 134m is only 5m for satoransky, their starting point guard. if he gets 10m/yr, they're now paying 139m plus rookies for a non-playoff team. bobby portis re-signing for only $5m is also doubtful. if the wizards decline parker's 20m option, but then turn around and give him, portis and satoransky $10m apiece, they're at $119m. that's still without dwight howard's cuddle buddy trevor ariza or georgetown university's jeff green.

7. it seems likely other teams outbid the sixers for bryant jr than the wizards. but even then, thomas bryant has to choose them over a championship contender like the sixers, who can offer more minutes and a more important role than any backup in the league.

8. if we were really dead set on bryant & rose or bust, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to just use the mle on bryant and the bae on derrick rose. probably an overpay, no? particularly considering the glut of backup point guards on the market and dearth of teams in need of a one, rubio, collison, rose, rondo, mcconnell, mudiay, payton....

10. last year it was stupid to want michael porter with our first 1st round pick, or mitchell robinson with our 2nd 1st. okc getting jerami grant and nerlens noel for 10.3m total should have been absurd, but guess what?

Dwight Howard is nothing but an locker room cancer at this point in his career, the Wiz certainly aren’t basing personnel decisions off of who is friendly with him; nor are they basing them off of where a guy went to school a decade ago. Jabari Parker is 100% unguaranteed and is certain to be waived. And it seems to me, if they need to, they could use a future 1st to dump Mahinmi’s expiring.

While Bryant Jr. would be a good fit on the Sixers, unless somebody gives him more than the MLE, which the Sixers cannot do; I don’t see him leaving WSH.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#951 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:17 pm

the_process wrote:
W

If I was the Wizards, I would rather use a future 1st to dump Mahinmi’s expiring rather than let Bryant Jr. walk. Dwight Howard is nothing but an locker room cancer at this point in his career, the Wiz certainly aren’t basing personnel decisions off of who is friendly with him; nor are they basing them off of where a guy went to school a decade ago. Jabari Parker is 100% unguaranteed and is certain to be waived.

While Bryant Jr. would be a good fit on the Sixers, unless somebody gives him more than the MLE, which the Sixers cannot do; I don’t see him leaving WSH.

Yeah but they also need to create max space to sign Greg Monroe because he also spent 6 months at Georgetown in 2010.
NYSixersFan wrote:
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#952 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:20 pm

Wiz are a lottery team with a deadweight contract in Wall. I don't see them trading a future 1st to get off an expiring contract so they can keep a backup center. But maybe they'll find another way.
the_process
RealGM

Post#953 » by the_process » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 pm

BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:
W

If I was the Wizards, I would rather use a future 1st to dump Mahinmi’s expiring rather than let Bryant Jr. walk. Dwight Howard is nothing but an locker room cancer at this point in his career, the Wiz certainly aren’t basing personnel decisions off of who is friendly with him; nor are they basing them off of where a guy went to school a decade ago. Jabari Parker is 100% unguaranteed and is certain to be waived.

Yeah but they also need to create max space to sign Greg Monroe because he also spent 6 months at Georgetown in 2010.

I hear Hollis Thompson is available.
the_process
RealGM

Post#954 » by the_process » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:25 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Wiz are a lottery team with a deadweight contract in Wall. I don't see them trading a future 1st to get off an expiring contract so they can keep a backup center. But maybe they'll find another way.

Grunfeld is gone. A normally run team wouldn’t let a deadweight contract hold up what they do with their actual rotation. Of course, as Sixers fans, we aren’t used to normally run teams so it gets confusing. :lol:
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#955 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Wiz are a lottery team with a deadweight contract in Wall. I don't see them trading a future 1st to get off an expiring contract so they can keep a backup center. But maybe they'll find another way.

They don't really need to get off Mahinmi to be able to afford to keep Bryant. They're going to be about $20 million under the tax once they get rid of Parker and Ariza's ridiculous cap holds. And that includes the $15 million in combined cap holds for Portis, Bryant and Satoransky. Even if all three of those guys get $10 million a year, which is highly doubtful, they'd be comfortably under the tax.
NYSixersFan wrote:
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#956 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 pm

the_process wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:

Hollis "Full Midlevel Exception" Thompson you mean?
NYSixersFan wrote:
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#957 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 pm

the_process wrote:

Grunfeld is gone. A normally run team wouldn’t let a deadweight contract hold up what they do with their actual rotation. Of course, as Sixers fans, we aren’t used to normally run teams so it gets confusing. :lol:

Hah, I meant, what's the point? Their all star point guard isn't gonna play, because of all the cap he takes up, you aren't gonna put together a good team next year anyway. Why trade a key asset like a future first round pick to get off a contract that's gonna go away in a year anyway?

They don't even have GM yet so I don't know how we can say what they're gonna do or if they're gonna be normal.
the_process
RealGM

Post#958 » by the_process » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:32 pm

BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Hollis "Full Midlevel Exception" Thompson you mean?

Well... it seems the Wiz have to have him; and why risk it with tricky negotiations, amirite? Throw him the whole enchilada!
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#959 » by BullyKing » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:

Hah, I meant, what's the point? Their all star point guard isn't gonna play, because of all the cap he takes up, you aren't gonna put together a good team next year anyway. Why trade a key asset like a future first round pick to get off a contract that's gonna go away in a year anyway?

They don't even have GM yet so I don't know how we can say what they're gonna do or if they're gonna be normal.

They are definitely one of those pivot teams this offseason depending on who they hire as GM. Do they trade Beal to a team that missed out on the FA stars and launch a full rebuild? If so, they should go the opposite direction and trade Mahinmi for a worse non-expiring contract and pick up assets.

But regardless of which direction they go, letting a promising young big man go for nothing doesn't seem to be in their interest. Unless of course he gets hit with a huge overpay, which if so, begs the question why anyone would want the Sixers to be on the opposite end of that contract.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the_process
RealGM

Post#960 » by the_process » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
the_process wrote:

That’s true, we don’t know who Grunfeld’s replacement is. I’m just going off of Leonsis saying his team isn’t tanking. So I assume they are going to try and be as good as possible even while Wall sits out the year.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers