Just a Reminder How Big NBA Players Are

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Re: Just a Reminder How Big NBA Players Are 

Post#81 » by bargnanimvp » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 am

Thought this would be a hook up story or bathroom story.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#82 » by LKN » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:38 am

alebaba wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:
Yep, I agree that this does a better job of putting things into perspective.

Isaiah Thomas is average height. Chris Paul is on the taller side. Kyrie Irving and Stephen Curry are tall in a way that clearly stands out in real life. Kawhi Leonard is in freakishly tall territory.

You mean Isiah Thomas right? Isaiah would stand out in any crowd for being so short.

No, he wouldn't. He's 5'9 my dude..

Here's a pic to show how big NBA players are.

Barkely's gotta be taller than 6'4"... more like 6'6" or 6'7"
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#83 » by LivingLegend » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:57 am

I remember getting good seats to a game once and being pretty close to the bench to see players up close. Its insane how actually smaller than you would think they actually are. Especially the guards. Im '6'3" and remember thinking how small Kyrie looked up close as if I would look down at him if I walked down courtside. Then I saw Spencer Hawes and thought he was the largest human on earth.

Im sure there is a whole lotta height embellishment that goes on with players heights. I think guards are listed 1-2 inches bigger than they actually are and bigs are listed 1-2 inches shorter than they actually are.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#84 » by Goudelock » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:01 am

LivingLegend wrote:I remember getting good seats to a game once and being pretty close to the bench to see players up close. Its insane how actually smaller than you would think they actually are. Especially the guards. Im '6'3" and remember thinking how small Kyrie looked up close as if I would look down at him if I walked down courtside. Then I saw Spencer Hawes and thought he was the largest human on earth.

Im sure there is a whole lotta height embellishment that goes on with players heights. I think guards are listed 1-2 inches bigger than they actually are and bigs are listed 1-2 inches shorter than they actually are.

I had a similar experience when I went to a Grizzlies/Clippers game a few years ago. Chris Paul was surprisingly short (I'm exactly 6'0 and he was shorter than I was), while Marc Gasol was and still is the largest person I've ever seen.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Eric Millegan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,304

Post#85 » by Eric Millegan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:11 am

I'm an Uber driver and I drove James Harden. He was HUGE. I had no idea until I saw him up close and personal.
Check out "Around the NBA with Chris & Eric” on Underdog Podcasts.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#86 » by LivingLegend » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:13 am

PockyCandy wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:I remember getting good seats to a game once and being pretty close to the bench to see players up close. Its insane how actually smaller than you would think they actually are. Especially the guards. Im '6'3" and remember thinking how small Kyrie looked up close as if I would look down at him if I walked down courtside. Then I saw Spencer Hawes and thought he was the largest human on earth.

I had a similar experience when I went to a Grizzlies/Clippers game a few years ago. Chris Paul was surprisingly short (I'm exactly 6'0 and he was shorter than I was), while Marc Gasol was and still is the largest person I've ever seen.

Yeah, I know somebody who saw CP3 at a restaurant in OH once hanging out with LeBron. He was a waiter and said CP3 was suprising tiny---he said he was a lot smaller than you think he was but he built like brick house. I think his exact words were 'he was a little meatball'
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#87 » by whitehops » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:05 am

i always find it funny, i'm 6'2/205 and whenever i go to random courts to play i'm often called "big man".

... i'd be like an average-sized point guard in the nba.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#88 » by LakerLegend » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:11 am

LKN wrote:
alebaba wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:
You mean Isiah Thomas right? Isaiah would stand out in any crowd for being so short.

Barkely's gotta be taller than 6'4"... more like 6'6" or 6'7"

Barkley is a little under 6-5 barefoot according to his book. So 6-6 to 6-7 "NBA Height".

The Rock is really about 6-2 or 6-3.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#89 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 am

I went to a preseason game in LA when I was passing through between Denver and LAC.

All I saw was Jokic dwarfing everyone around him.

Other plays. Reporters. Fans. Cameramen. Everyone looked tiny in comparison.

Then Boban game onto the court and matched up. All Jokic could do was smile and hug him. Boban posted, hooked, and missed. Didn't even jump but still grabbed the rebound one hand over jokic and the joker just laughed as bobo slammed it in over his head.

I can't explain to how large Boban is. It's not even how tall he is. Yes he's tall as ****, but he's honestly almost as wide as an SUV. So wide that Jokic disappeared behind him when he posted up.

It was incredible.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,024

Post#90 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:25 am

Basically in medieval times these would be the guys with names like "Shaq the Conqueror", "Boban the Barbarian" or "Yao the Cruel" wielding 6 foot broadswords and killing entire divisions by themselves.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#91 » by LivingLegend » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:07 am

whitehops wrote:i always find it funny, i'm 6'2/205 and whenever i go to random courts to play i'm often called "big man".

Join the club. When I played I was 6'1"-6'2" and I was consistently yelled at if I ever left the paint.

I was always saying I was like Dirk/Love and if the other 5'7" players could shoot like I could shoot then I wouldnt be out on the arc

At 6'1" I was considered too big to be a perimeter player :lol:
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Post#92 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Look how big Lowry is compared to Kerr! Kerr is barely up to his waist

Read on Twitter
CycklopsGT
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,729

Post#93 » by CycklopsGT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:39 pm

John Murdoch wrote:Theres this dude at my job hes prob like id say 6'6" , when he goes in the stall to take a piss his head goes past the framing so it looks like a floating head watching u piss from his peripheral

IIRC Webber said Gheorge Muresan used to do exactly this to people in the bathroom when they were both on the Bullets.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,559

Post#94 » by dc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:28 pm

LakerLegend wrote:
LKN wrote:Barkely's gotta be taller than 6'4"... more like 6'6" or 6'7"

Barkley is a little under 6-5 barefoot according to his book. So 6-6 to 6-7 "NBA Height".

Yep. Look up pictures of Barkely standing next to Jordan and you'll notice he's a shade shorter than MJ.

The Rock's "billed height" from WWE is 6'5" or so, but WWE exaggerates pretty much all the heights of their wrestlers. The Rock is no exception.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#95 » by LKN » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:30 pm

dc wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
LKN wrote:Barkely's gotta be taller than 6'4"... more like 6'6" or 6'7"

Yep. Look up pictures of Barkely standing next to Jordan and you'll notice he's a shade shorter than MJ.

The Rock's "billed height" from WWE is 6'5" or so, but WWE exaggerates pretty much all the heights of their wrestlers. The Rock is no exception.

Then again there's this:

Maybe he was wearing the pimp shoes with the fish in them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#96 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 pm

In normal day life you don’t see dudes 6’4 that often. It’s rare seeing 6’6 and up. NBA players are blessed with height.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#97 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 pm

I saw Barkley next to Ja Morant who’s like 6’2 or 6’3 and Barkley just towered above him. Barkley has to be at least 6’5 .
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#98 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
whitehops wrote:i always find it funny, i'm 6'2/205 and whenever i go to random courts to play i'm often called "big man".

Join the club. When I played I was 6'1"-6'2" and I was consistently yelled at if I ever left the paint.

I was always saying I was like Dirk/Love and if the other 5'7" players could shoot like I could shoot then I wouldnt be out on the arc

At 6'1" I was considered too big to be a perimeter player :lol:

Yea you’d be an undersized guard in the NBA. Which is crazy to think about it. The avg PG these days is like 6’3
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#99 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:41 pm

alebaba wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:
Yep, I agree that this does a better job of putting things into perspective.

Isaiah Thomas is average height. Chris Paul is on the taller side. Kyrie Irving and Stephen Curry are tall in a way that clearly stands out in real life. Kawhi Leonard is in freakishly tall territory.

Geez and I was over here thinking that the Rock was tall. Compared to Shaq he’s a midget!
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#100 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Muggy Bogues played in the NBA at 5’3 which is one of the most unbelievable things in sports that I can recall.

Return to The General Board