ImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA: 2018/2019 edition

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Re: Around the NBA: 2018/2019 edition 

Post#1881 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:09 pm

KD won't be FA if he has no desire to be one, he has player's option for next year.
KD can't be offered supermax by nobody but GSW.
On one leg he is better than most of nba..
I don't think injury is THAT terrible, he was able to put weight on his leg right after injury, there is hope it's not torn but strained achillie, or tear is not big. Would help him return sooner.
Picking up his player's option to recover through next year is easly best move for him in this moment.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,971

Post#1882 » by p0peye » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 pm

pepe1991 wrote:I remember reading and listening A LOT of podcasts and articles about Kobe's achillie injury, from what i get, his achillie will recover fine, it's inbalance in foot that brings major other problems.
Saw it with Cousins, recovered from achillie, blew up quad.
Kobe- recovered from achilies- blew up something else ( can't remember what)

Positive examples: Wilkins and Wes Matthews .

But this could shake lot of plans for lot of teams. Also Durant wanting to play for Warriors, despite knowing risk, may mean that he will resign. Why risk your career for team you plan to leave within next 19 days? Legacy ? It's not worth your career, especially when you are just turned 30 and you are probably the best player in whole world.

Guy on one leg, played 1 quater and was difference maker, just ridiculous talent.

He couldn't withstand the pressure from basically everyone calling him out, simply not strong enough personality. Remember the burner accounts?

It simply wasn't fair, especially from FO, coaches and his team mates to leak so many stories building steam that pushed him out to the court. Some might consider him playing as win-win for Warriors: either he is OK and they win the title, or he gets injured and opts in for next season with them. But, they probably didn't consider injury as serious as this one.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#1883 » by nymets1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:23 am

That one topic on the General board about Anthony Davis top 5. I can't believe people still have KD in the top 5. KD just suffered a torn achilles. A severe injury that he could be out for 12 months and he will never recover fully from that injury. KD is not a top 5 player and he'll never get it back. As long as the Raptors close out the Warriors, I have

1.Kawhi
2.Lebron
3.Giannis
4.Jokic
5.Curry

I bumped up Curry to #5 overall which now I got Curry as a TIER 1 player and Anthony Davis at #6.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Post#1884 » by cedric76 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 am

nymets1 wrote:That one topic on the General board about Anthony Davis top 5. I can't believe people still have KD in the top 5. KD just suffered a torn achilles. A severe injury that he could be out for 12 months and he will never recover fully from that injury. KD is not a top 5 player and he'll never get it back. As long as the Raptors close out the Warriors, I have

1.Kawhi
2.Lebron
3.Giannis
4.Jokic
5.Curry

I bumped up Curry to #5 overall which now I got Curry as a TIER 1 player and Anthony Davis at #6.

Jokic over AD?
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1885 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 am

p0peye wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I remember reading and listening A LOT of podcasts and articles about Kobe's achillie injury, from what i get, his achillie will recover fine, it's inbalance in foot that brings major other problems.

But this could shake lot of plans for lot of teams. Also Durant wanting to play for Warriors, despite knowing risk, may mean that he will resign. Why risk your career for team you plan to leave within next 19 days? Legacy ? It's not worth your career, especially when you are just turned 30 and you are probably the best player in whole world.

Guy on one leg, played 1 quater and was difference maker, just ridiculous talent.

He couldn't withstand the pressure from basically everyone calling him out, simply not strong enough personality. Remember the burner accounts?

It simply wasn't fair, especially from FO, coaches and his team mates to leak so many stories building steam that pushed him out to the court. Some might consider him playing as win-win for Warriors: either he is OK and they win the title, or he gets injured and opts in for next season with them. But, they probably didn't consider injury as serious as this one.

Imo he showed lot of guts as he returned without single practice vs players.
I actually blame Warriors doctors, you simply can't list him as ready with clear achillie injury .
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#1886 » by nymets1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:46 am

cedric76 wrote:
nymets1 wrote:That one topic on the General board about Anthony Davis top 5. I can't believe people still have KD in the top 5. KD just suffered a torn achilles. A severe injury that he could be out for 12 months and he will never recover fully from that injury. KD is not a top 5 player and he'll never get it back. As long as the Raptors close out the Warriors, I have

1.Kawhi
2.Lebron
3.Giannis
4.Jokic
5.Curry

Jokic over AD?

Of course, before KD suffered the torn achilles I had

1.Kawhi
2.KD
3.Lebron
4.Giannis
5.Jokic

So Jokic had to move up 1 spot, I can't move AD in the top 5 in the offseason unless somebody in the top 5 suffer a major injury.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#1887 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:48 am

pepe1991 wrote:KD won't be FA if he has no desire to be one, he has player's option for next year.
I don't think injury is THAT terrible, he was able to put weight on his leg right after injury, there is hope it's not torn but strained achillie, or tear is not big. Would help him return sooner.
Picking up his player's option to recover through next year is easly best move for him in this moment.

i dont think GS can offer him a supermax, because he wasnt drafted by them and they didnt get him on his rookie deal
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#1888 » by Xatticus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:33 pm

tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:KD won't be FA if he has no desire to be one, he has player's option for next year.

i dont think GS can offer him a supermax, because he wasnt drafted by them and they didnt get him on his rookie deal

It has no impact on his starting salary because Durant has 10+ years of service time. He is eligible for a contract starting at 35% of the salary cap (same as the supermax). The only differences are that Golden State can offer an additional year and an 8 percent annual raise instead of 5%.

We don't actually know for certain that Golden State wants him back. Thompson has already made it known that he isn't going to give them a discount, though they dodged a bullet when he didn't make an All-NBA team. Still, Thompson's contract will start at around $30M per year if they bring him back, which would mean that they would be capped out even before factoring in Durant. Green and Iguodala expire after next season. Does Golden State want to charge into luxury tax territory with an aging roster that just lost in the Finals?

I expect that they will try to remain contenders through Curry's contract, but things are about to get really complicated for them financially.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,971

Post#1889 » by p0peye » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
p0peye wrote:

Imo he showed lot of guts as he returned without single practice vs players.
I actually blame Warriors doctors, you simply can't list him as ready with clear achillie injury .

Warriors are douchebags here, but he should've said "NO", like Kawhi did in SA.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1890 » by MoMM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:20 pm

Xatticus wrote:I expect that they will try to remain contenders through Curry's contract, but things are about to get really complicated for them financially.

Not sure if they care about paying luxury taxes, they will have a new location to play next season, now in San Francisco, so they will make A LOT of money regardless of paying extra taxes or not. They just need to keep their core.

IMO, Durant will pick up his player option and GSW plans to have Klay/Curry/Green retiring as Warriors. Just like Spurs had David, Duncan, Mano and almost Parker.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1891 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:17 am

So can the Warriors shell out $300M in taxes and salaries?

The simple answer appears to be a resounding yes. The naming rights, luxury suites, and ticket price increases at the Chase Center, plus a new TV deal, could total an extra $90-95m income every year. Even with the Warriors contributing 30% of the $75-80M that would count towards revenue sharing to the league-wide pool, that still leaves around an extra $70M of annual income headed their way that’s locked in on a long-term basis. Just on that basis alone, considering they will likely be profitable on a $200m payroll in Oracle, the Warriors would still be able to turn a profit on a $300m payroll once in the Chase Center.

Then there are the unknowns such as other sponsorship deals, concessions and parking at the arena, and increasing revenues league-wide, not least the possibilities of legalized gambling. Once you factor in the income from all that office and retail space, and those 200+ non-NBA events at Chase Center, the Warriors ownership will likely be turning an astronomical annual profit. And none of this includes the $300m+ the Warriors will receive in a one-off lump sum from the PSL issue.

from forbes article answering question -"Can Warriors afford $300M payroll"
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#1892 » by drsd » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:00 pm

pepe1991 wrote:So can the Warriors shell out $300M in taxes and salaries?

The simple answer appears to be a resounding yes. The naming rights, luxury suites, and ticket price increases at the Chase Center, plus a new TV deal, could total an extra $90-95m income every year. Even with the Warriors contributing 30% of the $75-80M that would count towards revenue sharing to the league-wide pool, that still leaves around an extra $70M of annual income headed their way that’s locked in on a long-term basis. Just on that basis alone, considering they will likely be profitable on a $200m payroll in Oracle, the Warriors would still be able to turn a profit on a $300m payroll once in the Chase Center.

Then there are the unknowns such as other sponsorship deals, concessions and parking at the arena, and increasing revenues league-wide, not least the possibilities of legalized gambling. Once you factor in the income from all that office and retail space, and those 200+ non-NBA events at Chase Center, the Warriors ownership will likely be turning an astronomical annual profit. And none of this includes the $300m+ the Warriors will receive in a one-off lump sum from the PSL issue.

I would add that Joe Lacob is worth $3,000,000,000.00. Owning the Warriors does not need to be profitable for him. Plus, the more the team wins, the more it is worth on (re)sale; that is, if a team's value grows by more than operational losses, it is still actually turning a profit.

Overall I would think Jacob would swallow up to $50M a year in operational costs if he wanted to "break even" and would swallow 100M if this was just a hobby and he didn't care at all about real-term profitability.

So yes, he would easily offer a 300M salary line and accept the taxes.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1893 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 pm

Vuc just got more competition after Jonas Valanciunas opted out if his contract.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1894 » by MoMM » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:21 pm

basketballRob wrote:Vuc just got more competition after Jonas Valanciunas opted out if his contract.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Great for us 8-)
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#1895 » by Xatticus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:39 am

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:So can the Warriors shell out $300M in taxes and salaries?

I would add that Joe Lacob is worth $3,000,000,000.00. Owning the Warriors does not need to be profitable for him. Plus, the more the team wins, the more it is worth on (re)sale; that is, if a team's value grows by more than operational losses, it is still actually turning a profit.

Overall I would think Jacob would swallow up to $50M a year in operational costs if he wanted to "break even" and would swallow 100M if this was just a hobby and he didn't care at all about real-term profitability.

So yes, he would easily offer a 300M salary line and accept the taxes.

It's a lot more complicated than this. The luxury tax and repeater penalties are a lot stiffer than they used to be. We're talking about a penalty of more than $5 per dollar spent above the luxury tax when you get significantly beyond the threshold; and it only continues to grow the further you go. Once you get past about $30M over the luxury tax threshold, you are paying more in penalties than actual salaries.

$300M? Not a chance. Nobody is going to pay a billion dollars in penalties to keep a team together.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#1896 » by NavalAviator94 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:52 am

What a fantastic run for Toronto. The 2 best teams in the league battled it out and Toronto won. So happy for them.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#1897 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:53 am

Hell Yes!!!! Congrats to the RAPTORS. An epic victory. And, it seemed just yesterday people were trashing either the Raptors or Van Fleet. Proved em all wrong!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#1898 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:54 am

Happy for Toronto they deserve it. At least we beat them once and played one game really close. This was Toronto's year and hopefully our time will come way before 2030 lol. GS also showed alot of championship heart.
aka: prorl
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#1899 » by SOUL » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:00 am

Ibaka and Jodie Meeks champions lol
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688