Difference between Kawhi and MJ/Kobe

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Re: Difference between Kawhi and MJ/Kobe 

Post#101 » by mtron32 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:29 pm

JimmerAllStar wrote:Jordan and Kobe would have pulled up and shot it over the double team on that last play. Jordan and Kobe have that killer instinct in them.

But when Kawhi saw that double team, he immediately passed the ball which ended up in a Lowry side of a backboard 3 pointer. No one is talking about how Kawhi folded like a crane origami because today is all about KD's injury.

If Lebron passed the ball up like Kawhi did, he would have been ripped by the media. Not sure why Kawhi got a pass for being meek.

Is that you Skip Bayless?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#102 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:34 pm

Kawhi shouldn't be crucified for that last play, but those boneheaded shots he repeatedly took prior to that after he went on that big run really hurt them.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#103 » by -G- » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:45 pm

An Unbiased Fan wrote:
-G- wrote:Lol I love when people kill guys for making the correct play. One of my favorites. OP's been waiting since 2005 for this.

Wasn't the correct play. Kawhi has to attack the double and force the issue. His pass wasn't to a wide open teammate.

To be clear, a title was on the line. Its over if he makes a pull up jumper or gets fouled.

He drew two. He passed to VanVleet who was open and had Livingston sprinting at him on a closeout - he needed to drive the ball and either pull-up or draw Draymond and hit Lowry.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,177

Post#104 » by Statlanta » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:59 pm

The difference between Kawhi and MJ

Is that sometimes MJ doesn't make robotic passes.

MJ passes people open or draws more defense attention.

Kobe to a lesser extent does this(2013) but has a more shoot first style.

It also doesn't help that VanVleet and Lowry are both way too pass first players, especially the latter.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#105 » by SeniorWalker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:08 am

tor1234567 wrote:
JimmerAllStar wrote:Jordan and Kobe would have pulled up and shot it over the double team on that last play. Jordan and Kobe have that killer instinct in them.

Please don't disrespect Kawhi's name by comparing him to a much inferior player in Kobe.

Without PRIME Shaq and without PRIME Pau & Odom...Prime Kobe Bryant couldn't lead his teams into the playoffs.

A semi-injured Kawhi Leonard is on the verge of taking one of the biggest chokejob teams in NBA history (the Raptors) to a title in his first year with them.

Okay Kobe definitely isnt in MJ's class but we dont need to go this far and sh** on him. Kobe has definitely led some bad teams to the playoffs in a very stacked western conference. Kobe is an all time great, don't act like he's not.

I agree Kawhi has a chance to surpass Kobe's peak if he sustains his current level of play over several seasons. But Kobe definitely led back to back title teams, let's not pretend like he didnt. Most title teams are pretty freaking good with lots of depth.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#106 » by SeniorWalker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:15 am

LKN wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:Biggest difference is Kawhi lacks quickness and agility compared to Kobe or MJ.

Kawhi uses size and strength to generate offense. Kobe and MJ used speed, footwork, quickness and jumping/fading to create space.

As I said above.. .Kawhi should post up and shoot fadeaways on the wing a la MJ more. Like MJ he's strong, lengthy and has a high release point.

These playoffs have actually made me go back and rewatch 1st 3 peat MJ over the last few weeks. MJ didnt even have a particular release point in his jumpshot when being guarded. Kawhi shoots at the very top but MJ pumps and adjusts his shot depending on the defenders. I've seen him pump and shoot on the way down, feet damn near touching the floor before he released the ball mainly because of his hand strength....his touch and finesse was so unbelievably good which allowed this.

I agree that MJ and Kobe used much more athleticism and footwork than Kawhi. MJ was really in another tier compared to the other two in these categories though. I swear he had springs in his shoes. Kawhi is very skilled himself but is more of a bully than 1st 3peat MJ and definitely more than Kobe who wasnt as strong as the other two.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,808

Post#107 » by TheGOATWill » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:39 am

MJ and Kobe would pick up their own grandmothers 94 feet. Put 50 on her on the other end. Then come over for Sunday dinner. Both are dogs. Kawhi ain’t that dude.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,762

Post#108 » by TrustFundBaby » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:40 am

Kawhi has been better than Kobe ever was, the Disrespect is real
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Post#109 » by 510TWSS » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:47 am

Kawhi probably the closest thing we’ve seen to a physical specimen of a wing since MJ.

Kobe was an athletic beast but I feel the sheer quickness and power is more similar to Kawhi.

The difference is MJ was a way better facilitator when he wanted to be. Early on MJ went on a run of triple doubles after taking over of duties due to injury.

After searching, MJ had a run of 10/11 triple doubles during the 88-89’ season, though they went just 5-6 lol
HEAT33
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#110 » by HEAT33 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:39 am

Jordan rookie season:
28.2 points (51.5% shooting), 6.5 reb, 5.9 ast, 2.4 stl

Kobe MVP season:
28.3 points (45.9% shooting), 6.3 reb, 5.4 ast, 1.8 stl
EscapoTHB wrote:I think the 92 dream team would get beat by a lot of the top international teams today.

:lol:
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#111 » by bubonicphoniks » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:56 am

This thread is stupid fanboy crap from someone who's clearly never played basketball.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#112 » by LakerLegend » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 am

510TWSS wrote:Kawhi probably the closest thing we’ve seen to a physical specimen of a wing since MJ.

Kobe was an athletic beast but I feel the sheer quickness and power is more similar to Kawhi.

The difference is MJ was a way better facilitator when he wanted to be. Early on MJ went on a run of triple doubles after taking over of duties due to injury.

After searching, MJ had a run of 10/11 triple doubles during the 88-89’ season, though they went just 5-6 lol

Kawhi is nowhere near the athlete Kobe was.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,499

Post#113 » by GregOden » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:49 am

The biggest difference I would say is Kawhi's footwork is inferior to Kobe's and MJ's and if it weren't for the new era of easy reffing thanks to the proliferation of hop steps and euro steps Kawhi would've been a turnover machine in the 90s and 2000s with his constant dragging of the pivot foot and taking extra steps after a hop step.
Golden Knight
Analyst
And1: 4,965

Post#114 » by Golden Knight » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:59 am

Mikistan wrote:Why is Kyle Lowry spotting up for a 3 pointer when he is only down 1?

packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#115 » by packforfreedom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 am

Mikistan wrote:Why is Kyle Lowry spotting up for a 3 pointer when he is only down 1?

Maybe because he's practiced a catch and shoot 3 from the corner more often than a baseline runner or a long pull up 2?
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#116 » by Pennebaker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 am

But when Kawhi saw that double team, he immediately passed the ball which ended up in a Lowry side of a backboard 3 pointer. No one is talking about how Kawhi folded like a crane origami because today is all about KD's injury.

If Lebron passed the ball up like Kawhi did, he would have been ripped by the media. Not sure why Kawhi got a pass for being meek.

This is not accurate. Jordan and Kobe both have passed in similar situations. In one instance Jordan was forced to do that by Phil Jackson which led to John Paxson essentially winning a Finals game.

Leonard's a great player, but he doesn't have enough of a history yet to be compared to greats like MJ/Kobe/LeBron. Let's see what he does in the future.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,252

Post#117 » by deneem4 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:32 am

The difference using that last play of game 5
Kwahi attempted to blow by klay to create space and or create a shot for an open teammate
Mj or kobe (mj especially) would use a dribble move or crossover...
Kwahi couldve dribbled a little first than did a move on klay, which makes the help hesitant...
Instead he tried to replicate the same play from last game where curry attempted a steal and Danny green got a 3...that exact play was still possible but Fred vanvleet missed the pass to Danny green....
That’s the main difference I see...
Watch the two plays you disagree
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#118 » by Ben Simmons » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:01 am

Also Kawhi air-balled the short-range fade-away, the opposite of Jordan :D
Durant wouldn't have air-balled that either, as he scores much easier than Kawhi.
Jordan has the hang-time, Durant has the height.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#119 » by Clay Davis » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:32 am

Remember when Kawhi beat 1 defender and shot over another to ice Philly?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
rotty
Head Coach
And1: 35,090

Post#120 » by rotty » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:32 am

I cant believe this is even a discussion...

Iggy smartly doubled kawhi immediately. Why would anyone force a shot over a double team.

Lowry was wide open but got blocked. He didnt brick the shot because he was wide open... he got blocked. Watch the play over again before you make a stupid post.

He made the right basketball play. Credit green for the block

Also Jordan would not have shot that ball. He made big passes to Kerr in the finals for a reason. Kobe made the pass to artest in the finals for a reason...

Return to The General Board