ImageImage

Grizzlies Fan with a question about Taylor Jenkins

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Grizzlies Fan with a question about Taylor Jenkins 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:23 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254154/Grizzlies-Hire-Taylor-Jenkins-As-Head-Coach

I understand this guy was an asst coach with Bud's regime. Can any of you talk about what he brings to the table as far as coaching abilities and what he brings to the locker room? Thx.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Re: Grizzlies Fan with a question about Taylor Jenkins 

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 am

He will go balls out to stop players from leaving the bench.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Post#3 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:29 am

He was Bud's right hand man. He's an outstanding human being and a great developer of talent. Just watch some Bucks games; the dude was constantly sprinting from the bench to Bud's ear to share his thoughts, remind him of things, etc. I did not expect to lose him so soon and it is a pretty big blow to our coaching staff.

I think you're gonna love him.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Oscar71
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#4 » by Oscar71 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 am

It's quite possible that the Grizzlies front office are among the few dozen folks that even knew this guy existed 24 hours ago.
Kidd Prunty Budenholzer > Macha Roenicke Counsell
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Oscar71 wrote:It's quite possible that the Grizzlies front office are among the few dozen folks that even knew this guy existed 24 hours ago.

RiotPunch wrote:He was Bud's right hand man. He's an outstanding human being and a great developer of talent. Just watch some Bucks games; the dude was constantly sprinting from the bench to Bud's ear to share his thoughts, remind him of things, etc. I did not expect to lose him so soon and it is a pretty big blow to our coaching staff.

I think you're gonna love him.

trwi7 wrote:He will go balls out to stop players from leaving the bench.

Thx for the feedback ppl.

I haven't heard of the guy at all. For me, this was a move out of left field of sorts. For the Grizzlies, I'm cool with the part they didn't just go with an assistant coach who had mad hype about him. The last time the Grizzlies did that move was Marc Iavaroni years ago. That didn't turn out well.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what this guy will be bringing to the Grizzlies. Since his speciality is to develop talent, I will definitely look forward to seeing how well he excels in this area as well.

Thx again ppl.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#6 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Honestly no one here knows much about Taylor Jenkins that you wouldn't be able to find by reading his bio on the news articles about his hire. He's been with Bud since 2013, but I don't think anyone here can speak to how influential he was on that staff - it's not something you'd really know unless you were privy to what was going on behind-the-scenes. I think by most accounts, Darvin Ham was considered Bud's primary assistant.

But if it makes you feel any better, there are two other coaches in the NBA that were plucked from Bud's staff - Kenny Atkinson in Brooklyn and Quin Snyder in Utah. Both of them have been pretty good.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#7 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:33 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Honestly no one here knows much about Taylor Jenkins that you wouldn't be able to find by reading his bio on the news articles about his hire. He's been with Bud since 2013, but I don't think anyone here can speak to how influential he was on that staff - it's not something you'd really know unless you were privy to what was going on behind-the-scenes. I think by most accounts, Darvin Ham was considered Bud's primary assistant.

But if it makes you feel any better, there are two other coaches in the NBA that were plucked from Bud's staff - Kenny Atkinson in Brooklyn and Quin Snyder in Utah. Both of them have been pretty good.

Yeah, I like to think I am a pretty obsessive Bucks fan and had no thought of him outside the GIFs of him sprinting to keep players on the bench.

Seems respected but no article is going to say "he was a douche and not welcomed back to the staff." Hell, even the articles on Jason Kidd seem glowing..."Developed Giannis..." "Great turnaround his first year..."

Wish him the best because a good Memphis team in the West would be someone to root for along with Denver.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#8 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:07 am

I’ll just add that he gave good vibes during end of halftime interviews. Think you got a good one.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#9 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 am

When we got Bud I went back and listened to some Hawks podcasts, and guys were saying Bud has at least two head coach quality guys on his coaching staff, Jenkins was one and Ham was the other one. Thats all I know
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#10 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:27 am

Nehm said on LOB today that there’s some thought Ham hasn’t gotten more looks because he has “former player stank” on him, and that non point guards aren’t thought to be as capable candidates. If true, that’s asinine, unfair and probably more than slightly racist. Ham’s resume holds up against any candidate. I know he had a domestic violence issue back in the day but a little digging on that reveals a complicated dynamic. Not that there’s anything complicated about whether someone should ever commit domestic violence.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks