Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Chandan
RealGM
And1: 20,944

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1181 » by Chandan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:56 am

mcmokken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:Are you trying to argue that Durant should have been playing and the injury he had now isn't related to the one that kept him out in the past month?

If you're not then how can you argue against the fact that the warriors completely screwed him by letting him play. Every athlete wants to play in these situations, it's the medical staff that the team pays who are the ones that need to be able to tell them if they are physically able too. The warriors were either incompetent or negligent in this situation.

Genuinely would like to know if you seriously don't think the GSW are at fault here?

my argument is pretty simple: if anyone thought that this would happen, he wouldn't have been out there. and that 'everyone' includes Durant's team and staff.

i know it's a circle jerk where everyone wants to pass blame, but I don't think you, me, or anyone else here has enough info to pass blame around, as much as you'd like to guy.

Pretty sure that nobody thought that this would happen.

What is more relevant is the question of how likely was it that something like this COULD happen based on the circumstances, and whether or not KD himself was made aware of the actual risk before deciding to play.

Would he have risked it if he knew it was even a 5% chance or higher?

There is still too much we don't know, so we can't blame GSW but likewise can't absolve them either.

Looking forward to hearing about what GSW really did and did not know, and more importantly what KD was told regarding his medical condition.

if nobody thought this would happen there won't be multiple analysis telling him not to play. Or he would have suited up for game 4. it 100% happened and we have to assume it was a major risk going into the game.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#1182 » by nurseryc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 am

When are we going to have the results of Kevin’s MRI? Too many people on here speculating before we know the actual facts and extent of his injury. Does anyone know when the MRI results will be released?
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,847

Post#1183 » by garrick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:57 am

Drygon wrote:
garrick wrote:
Drygon wrote:
Who cares about such silly criticism.

I mean, Vince Carter used to get criticism for having "no love for the game" by not playing through injuries in his prime.

At the end of the day, it has extended his career massively.

Now, Vince is 42 years old and will become historic for playing most NBA season ever.

It's a shame on how Durant doesn't have a thicker skin for outside criticism like Vince had.

In the end you are judged by how many rings you have, I'm sure VC would have sacrificed longevity over winning a championship if it meant him losing a few years of his career.

I guess Robert Horry (7 rings) is better than Michael Jordan (6 rings)....

Vince's great longevity is one of the biggest reasons why he'll make into hall of fame.

I'm sure he wouldn't trade it for a few meaningless rings.

Nope that's not a fair comparison because the two players are not even equal in terms of talent, a better comparison would be someone like Barkley who just had the misfortune of going up against a prime Hakeem and MJ, Barkley had some monster seasons but he will always be inferior to Hakeem due to Hakeem having won twice with Barkley having zero championships.
JeepCSC
Starter
And1: 1,491

Post#1184 » by JeepCSC » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:23 am

That and the fact Barkley was an inferior player to Hakeem.
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#1185 » by durka » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:07 am

clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
my argument is pretty simple: if anyone thought that this would happen, he wouldn't have been out there. and that 'everyone' includes Durant's team and staff.

i know it's a circle jerk where everyone wants to pass blame, but I don't think you, me, or anyone else here has enough info to pass blame around, as much as you'd like to guy.

They might not have been part of the everyone you were talking about, but well informed ex players like Perkins and Rose DID think it would happen. Perkins even said he called Durant a couple days ago and pleaded with him not to play.

Bob Myers legit told people he deserves the blame, which to me is him trying to deflect from his medical and coaching staff taking the brunt of it. If it wasn't negligence then it was incompetence on their part. This wasn't a random injury like the first time KD went down, it's obviously connected to what kept him out the past month. He had one full pracitise (that according to Rose wasn't a huge success) and then played 12 of 14 minutes. He didn't look right on the court and obviously shouldn't have been playing.

are you suggesting the Perk and Rose know more than about Durant's condition to play more than Durant's team? utterly ludicrous. If Durant's team thought this would happen, they wouldn't have allowed it to happen. Period.

So I guess that makes his team incompetent if uninformed people were saying this could happen? This wasn't a random injury.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#1186 » by everdiso » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

They might not have been part of the everyone you were talking about, but well informed ex players like Perkins and Rose DID think it would happen. Perkins even said he called Durant a couple days ago and pleaded with him not to play.

Bob Myers legit told people he deserves the blame, which to me is him trying to deflect from his medical and coaching staff taking the brunt of it. If it wasn't negligence then it was incompetence on their part. This wasn't a random injury like the first time KD went down, it's obviously connected to what kept him out the past month. He had one full pracitise (that according to Rose wasn't a huge success) and then played 12 of 14 minutes. He didn't look right on the court and obviously shouldn't have been playing.

are you suggesting the Perk and Rose know more than about Durant's condition to play more than Durant's team? utterly ludicrous. If Durant's team thought this would happen, they wouldn't have allowed it to happen. Period.

If they were sure he was leaving in the summer, why would they care?
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Denisaur9
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#1187 » by Denisaur9 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 pm

I am surprised there isn't more people discussing that Golden State and their Bias doctors, it was a win win move them and only them.

If they did their due diligence he would not have played no way. But if they had a KD that could help them back to a potential championship=win, they probably figured he was leaving anyways.

If he gets hurt it's less likely he would opt out and more likely he may re-sign with them and they look good for standing by him.

I believe there was alot more to him being cleared to play.

Reality Is, would he have played if they were up in the series or even tied? If not he should not have played.

I'm a raptors fan and I think I speak for alot of raptors fans by saying we would have loved a healthy KD all series, never good to see anyone get an injury like that but it could be a career altering injury of one of the best in the league. Horrible.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using RealGM mobile app
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#1188 » by nurseryc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:42 pm

49ers cornerback Richard Sherman doesn’t think Warriors’ Kevin Durant tore his Achilles, “He probably strained his Achilles. If he tore it he wouldn’t be able to flex that ankle.”

https://clutchpoints.com/49ers-news-richard-sherman-doesnt-think-warriors-kevin-durant-tore-his-achilles/
TheDiesel36
Senior
And1: 546

Post#1189 » by TheDiesel36 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:50 pm

The lack of details around this injury is killing me, I wonder if the outcome could be something better than a tear since it is taking so long. Shaq had strained his Achilles in his last season and it looked kinda similar to the KD injury, still holding out hope that we just didnt lose another ATG to the injury.
GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,269

Post#1190 » by GusT15 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:51 pm

nurseryc wrote:49ers cornerback Richard Sherman doesn’t think Warriors’ Kevin Durant tore his Achilles, “He probably strained his Achilles. If he tore it he wouldn’t be able to flex that ankle.”

https://clutchpoints.com/49ers-news-richard-sherman-doesnt-think-warriors-kevin-durant-tore-his-achilles/

That just means he thinks there is only a partial tear and not a full side to side rupture.

That's why everybody is waiting on the MRI.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,019

Post#1191 » by heatwillbeback » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:57 pm

nurseryc wrote:49ers cornerback Richard Sherman doesn’t think Warriors’ Kevin Durant tore his Achilles, “He probably strained his Achilles. If he tore it he wouldn’t be able to flex that ankle.”

It’s a take we must listen to since he tore his Achilles and would know better than most anyone.

I still think he tore it but it’s strange nothing was reported yesterday. A MRI should be a quick confirmation, but something else is going on here.
GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,269

Post#1192 » by GusT15 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:03 pm

heatwillbeback wrote:

It’s a take we must listen to since he tore his Achilles and would know better than most anyone.

I still think he tore it but it’s strange nothing was reported yesterday. A MRI should be a quick confirmation, but something else is going on here.

If there is only a partial tear the medical team must decide on whether it needs surgery or not.
They won't come out and announce the diagnosis and results without having set the proper course of action.

You'll hear "The MRI showed a completely ruptured achilles tendon.The surgery is planned for x day."
Or "The MRI showed a partial tear in the achilles tendon.Surgery is required and will take place on x day".
Or "The MRI showed a partial tear in the achilles tendon.We are opting out of a surgery and will continue to monitor how the tendon responds in the coming weeks"
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,095

Post#1193 » by Hugi Mancura » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Did KD want to play? Sure he did. He is athlete and they are usually very competitive people. Also he is not a doctor. He knows there's something wrong in his body, like at this point of season I think most of the players feel the same, but because he is not a doctor he most likely can't really tell that much about his MCI scans even if he sees those. So he is dependable on the doctor's to tell him is it safe for him to play. Some injuries, like ACL and MCL, might have no symptoms after the original swelling. So blaming KD is little bit unfair. Should he have send those MCI scans to have second opinion? Sure, he should have. It is always good to have second opinion, because one pair of eyes can always make mistakes. More eyes less likely there will be a mistake.

Did GSW doc's gave false results from the MCI scans because GSW office pressured them to do so? Again very unlikely. They would be ruining their career and reputation because of this. Not a single player or company never trust them again if they get caught. Is it possible for them to make a mistake? MCI scans doesn't show everything. Even that misses some injuries. Also there is a chance that doctor's didn't just notice possible small achilles tear. But GSW staff will most likely have to take the heat from this.

Is it possible that there was nothing wrong with KD's leg before the game that might have caused this new injury. Possible, but unlikely.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#1194 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:10 pm

lakerz12 wrote:I'm still shocked about this. I see only three possibilities:

A) Warrior staff knew there was a decent chance of this happening and they let him play anyway

B) Warrior staff did not know or feel that this would happen and are therefore incompetent

C) Durant would have torn his Achilles regardless and it was unrelated to the previous injury

I don't think C is likely and I don't think A is likely.

It is most likely B -- they weren't smart enough to realize this might happen.

If KD is out for a year and never comes back the same, this will go down as one of the biggest sports blunders of all time. That's why Bob Myers was crying and Kerr wouldn't answer questions. They know they royally screwed up.

Yes KD is a grown man but the franchise has the responsibility and power to sit him in these cases.

You think the FO cares? They will be happy if they come back and win. Players are expendable. It's a business. He wasn't coming back anyway, why do they care if he is never the same Outside of the fact they look incompetent. Sad, but true.
ccameron
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,380

Post#1195 » by ccameron » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:38 pm

enigmatics wrote:
ccameron wrote:Going forward this sucks for KD, but at the moment, the way this whole series has played out, I can't think of a scenario that would do more for his popularity right now that this.

1) This series has showed how much KD meant to the Warriors
2) The Achilles injury puts to rest any question that his injury wasn't serious
3) Ultimate selfless move by playing, risking likely injury, even though it could seriously affect his free agency, he has almost no chance of winning FMVP,
4) Everyone and the media is now coming to KD's defense in this whole situation as someone wronged by the organization, and the Warriors have no choice but to agree and say how selfless Durant is or else they look even worse
5) KD did this for the team despite the fact that the Warriors org hasn't really stood up for him recently, and now if he leaves GS he will be perfectly justified, and if he stays he is being loyal despite the fact that the organization has not treated him well, whereas before if he left he was selfishly looking for individual accolades, and if he stayed he was continuing to take the easy way out.

This is honestly doing more for his popularity than even winning a FMVP would. Nothing else could have overcome the longstanding perception that he was the kind of person who would put himself before the team, which has been probably the biggest thing that has bothered him. It's too bad because the rest of his career is thrown into question, and I'm sure he is not happy about it, but I'm sure he is aware of this side of it, too.

No offense, but all that should be filed under "things that don't really matter".

Let's see, popularity contest among fickle media and NBA fans or a Hall of Fame career, possibility of more titles, and sustained high level play for years to come? Hmmmmmmm. The kind of incompetence surrounding his injury basically robbed him of the latter.

I agree with you. But Durant spends his time creating fake twitter accounts to defend his honor against internet trolls, so it does matter to him.

But you're making it sound like it was a choice. Of course he didn't choose this and if he knew he was going to get injured he wouldn't have played. Of course popularity isn't worth any of those things. But it DID happen, and I'm certain he is aware of how this affected the way he is perceived by fans and the media, and that it matters to him.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 18,977

Post#1196 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:45 pm

zhenyasj wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
proven right about what? that Durant's team trotted him out there even though he didn't couldn't get thru practice? :lol:

That he wasnt ready to play and shouldn't have been out there

Rose was commenting about last Thursday's practice I believe. There were more practices prior to yesterday's game, and people who saw KD go through pre-game warm ups said that he looked good.

If one practice went bad the next 2 days practices aren't magically going to get better...he was not ready to play
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#1197 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:47 pm

enigmatics wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:Jalen Rose said one of the practice did not go well, people should have listened to him .

Raja Bell said the same thing watching him.

Thanks I did not know that. The sports shows should have him on for his perspective on what he saw.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#1198 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:49 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
proven right about what? that Durant's team trotted him out there even though he didn't couldn't get thru practice? :lol:

That he wasnt ready to play and shouldn't have been out there

except everyone thought that he was ready, and that include the Warriors, Durant and Durant's team, otherwise he wouldn't have been out there.

And they all turned out wrong. How could a former player not involved in the team see he wasn't ready but the rest couldn't ? That's the bottom line: none of these people involved had Durant's best interest at heart.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#1199 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:55 pm

clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Perkins and Rose turned out to be right. So like I've been saying , Durant needs to review his inner circle because some of them dont have his best interest at heart
mcmokken
Senior
And1: 919

Post#1200 » by mcmokken » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Chandan wrote:
mcmokken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Pretty sure that nobody thought that this would happen.

What is more relevant is the question of how likely was it that something like this COULD happen based on the circumstances, and whether or not KD himself was made aware of the actual risk before deciding to play.

Would he have risked it if he knew it was even a 5% chance or higher?

There is still too much we don't know, so we can't blame GSW but likewise can't absolve them either.

Looking forward to hearing about what GSW really did and did not know, and more importantly what KD was told regarding his medical condition.

if nobody thought this would happen there won't be multiple analysis telling him not to play. Or he would have suited up for game 4. it 100% happened and we have to assume it was a major risk going into the game.

If someone gets struck by lightning, that does not mean it was a major risk to happen, even if it ultimately happens. There is no need to assume anything, and the truth will eventually come out as more info is released.

Return to The General Board