WWE SmackDown Discussion II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Re: WWE SmackDown Discussion II 

Post#1241 » by bestnamezRtaken » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:53 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Dominater wrote:I actually liked the Taker/Goldberg segment. I know the match is likely gonna suck, but I like the build

Yeah that was awesome... Goldberg has turned into one of the best promo guys in the business in the later
years of his career. I don't care that the match is supposed to suck either Goldbergs character is not supposed
to be about having 5 star classics with guys it's supposed to be an ass kicker that squashes guys. Also a lot of
moves in his moveset were impressive and how many people have stolen the spear from him all these years?

Sting has said he's still open to wrestling Undertaker despite his neck injury it got me thinking if the Saudi's
offer enough money if it could still happen. They could easily book a $hitty match to protect his neck and
just tell a good story
have some classic run-ins use some weapons maybe blade and come up with something
passable and entertaining.

For which company?? We still talking WWE?
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#1242 » by Scott Hall » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:55 pm

bestnamezRtaken wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Dominater wrote:I actually liked the Taker/Goldberg segment. I know the match is likely gonna suck, but I like the build

Yeah that was awesome... Goldberg has turned into one of the best promo guys in the business in the later
years of his career. I don't care that the match is supposed to suck either Goldbergs character is not supposed
to be about having 5 star classics with guys it's supposed to be an ass kicker that squashes guys. Also a lot of
moves in his moveset were impressive and how many people have stolen the spear from him all these years?

Sting has said he's still open to wrestling Undertaker despite his neck injury it got me thinking if the Saudi's
offer enough money if it could still happen. They could easily book a $hitty match to protect his neck and
just tell a good story
have some classic run-ins use some weapons maybe blade and come up with something

What else is there? AEW?
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Post#1243 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:57 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
bestnamezRtaken wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

just tell a good story

What else is there? AEW?

Impact too!

I think bestnamez just means that WWE main roster isn't capable of having matches likevyou described. I don't even think vince allows blading anymore lol. But that would be good, like the Rhodes match. Don't even have to cut that damn deep like Dustin did, just a little to add to the element
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#1244 » by bestnamezRtaken » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:21 pm

Dominater wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
bestnamezRtaken wrote:

What else is there? AEW?

Impact too!

I think bestnamez just means that WWE main roster isn't capable of having matches likevyou described. I don't even think vince allows blading anymore lol. But that would be good, like the Rhodes match. Don't even have to cut that damn deep like Dustin did, just a little to add to the element

Yeah, this. lol
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#1245 » by Scott Hall » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:39 pm

Dominater wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
bestnamezRtaken wrote:

What else is there? AEW?

Impact too!

Didn't we see a match like that just a couple of months ago with 2 old guys in HHH vs. Batista? As
for blading I'm not sure if he does or not but I do know if the Saudis want it and are willing to
pay a premium for it then it will happen lol
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1246 » by improper » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:08 pm

WWE can tell good stories in the ring when they actually care about the wrestling and the performers give a crap. See: Lesnar/Goldberg, which was way better than anyone expected because we got invested Brock and great booking.

The problem is we only get about four matches like that a year on the main roster. Will Taker/Goldberg be one of them? Probably not. These guys are just there to collect a check.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1247 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 7, 2019 11:33 am

The fact that the only WWE stuff we're talking about is Goldberg v Taker says a lot about the state of the WWE main roster.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#1248 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:The fact that the only WWE stuff we're talking about is Goldberg v Taker says a lot about the state of the WWE main roster.

Agreed. They still have Kofi dancing around throwing pancakes like a fool, turned KO for no reaosn and now he's irrelevant, it's just a terrible product now
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,808

Post#1249 » by Stanford » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:The fact that the only WWE stuff we're talking about is Goldberg v Taker says a lot about the state of the WWE main roster.

It says more about the reality of these SA shows, really.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#1250 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 am

I stopped watching yesterday's show after Shane O Mac pinned Miz yet again, regardless of the storyline, terrible beginning and I imagine the rest of the show was also garbage
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#1251 » by tugs » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:06 am

Loving the new SD logo.

As for Shane, I'd probably give him credit for delivering this character. Problem is, it's 10 years to late for him, or this could've been used by another wrestler.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1252 » by Stanford » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:11 am

tugs wrote:Loving the new SD logo

Looks like everyone likes it. It's a miracle!
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#1253 » by tugs » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:16 am

Well, most of us like whatever WWE is doing outside of the storylines so I think this isn't new. Lol
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1254 » by Stanford » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 am

tugs wrote:most of us like whatever WWE is doing

Ha!
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1255 » by improper » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:53 am

tugs wrote:As for Shane, I'd probably give him credit for delivering this character. Problem is, it's 10 years to late for him, or this could've been used by another wrestler.

There are rumors that he's going to be the one to take the title off of Kofi, which sounds exactly terrible enough to happen.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#1256 » by LLJ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:52 pm

I see no reason to continue watching this product. It really is WCW 2000 levels right now. And from what clips I have seen, Shane's push = Arquette winning the WCW world title, if Arquette was actually outwrestling people. So it's even worse. I couldn't even tell you the state of the title picture for all their belts right now, I'm THAT out of the loop all around. When Shane is the first thing on my mind when I think of the current product, it's in deep trouble. I only followed the SSD last Friday because I was chilling at work when it was airing.

I don't care about the women's division anymore. It's complete garbage. The matches, the storylines...everything. The women haven't been booked anything good since the Monday after the Royal Rumble.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1257 » by improper » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:18 pm

LLJ wrote:I see no reason to continue watching this product. It really is WCW 2000 levels right now. And from what clips I have seen, Shane's push = Arquette winning the WCW world title, if Arquette was actually outwrestling people. So it's even worse. I couldn't even tell you the state of the title picture for all their belts right now, I'm THAT out of the loop all around. When Shane is the first thing on my mind when I think of the current product, it's in deep trouble. I only followed the SSD last Friday because I was chilling at work when it was airing.

I don't care about the women's division anymore. It's complete garbage. The matches, the storylines...everything. The women haven't been booked anything good since the Monday after the Royal Rumble.

They let the women tick off the "Main Event Wrestlemania" box (MAKING HISTORY!!!!) and have since promptly forgotten about them entirely. :lol:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1258 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:48 pm

improper wrote:
tugs wrote:As for Shane, I'd probably give him credit for delivering this character. Problem is, it's 10 years to late for him, or this could've been used by another wrestler.

There are rumors that he's going to be the one to take the title off of Kofi, which sounds exactly terrible enough to happen.

Plech, if that happens, I'm done. I used to respect what Shane did for the company. Rosebud, Shane, and I don't mean Adam Rose.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#1259 » by LLJ » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:41 am

improper wrote:
LLJ wrote:I see no reason to continue watching this product. It really is WCW 2000 levels right now. And from what clips I have seen, Shane's push = Arquette winning the WCW world title, if Arquette was actually outwrestling people. So it's even worse. I couldn't even tell you the state of the title picture for all their belts right now, I'm THAT out of the loop all around. When Shane is the first thing on my mind when I think of the current product, it's in deep trouble. I only followed the SSD last Friday because I was chilling at work when it was airing.

They let the women tick off the "Main Event Wrestlemania" box (MAKING HISTORY!!!!) and have since promptly forgotten about them entirely. :lol:

I think the public consensus was that the WM35 main event was a flop both in terms of box office draw and quality of the match. It wasn't really TERRIBLE, but it was just...meh...for something they spent like 6 long months building up. And now the sword is falling on the division's necks for the terrible ratings these past 6-7 months.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#1260 » by loserX » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:08 pm

I think they've done just fine with the women's division, as long as by "the women's division" you mean "Becky Lynch and nobody else". This is not at all a criticism of Becky, by the way.

It's symptomatic of WWE's greater problems:
1) hit it big with one person? Great! We'll just put them in literally every television segment on every show until the audience gets sick of them. If anyone takes more work than that to build up, don't bother.

2) too many wrestlers overall. I know I've beaten this drum before, but they keep adding people to the roster at a much higher rate than they take them off. And that just doesn't work. It becomes literally impossible to give them all air time, and why bother coming up with a good program for a guy (or gal) who's not even going to get back on the air for another four weeks? Especially for the women, who have too many people competing for too little time as singles wrestlers, so they just get crammed into tag teams, but there aren't enough women's tag teams for a credible division either.

Return to Pro Wrestling