Re: WWE Raw Discussion III 

Post#661 » by Spens1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dominater wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Anyway, WWE ratings where actually up this week (somehow):

Hour one: 2.31 million
Hour two: 2.56 million
Hour three: 2.35 million

Up to 2.41 Mill average, not sure what the hour two spike was for but anyway. My guess is the Brock cash in (carny's gonna carny) and Taker's appearance (nostalgia, though i'm not sure if i'd tune in for a taker promo, not in his current iteration).

They deserved TNA on spike numbers because this was a TNA on spike show to be honest but it is a good result for the company.

When 2.4 is good, you know that times are bad

Yet, WWE stock was selling at 12.48 5 years ago, and now it's at 71.51. There's so much more WWE stuff to watch now on various media, that it was inevitable that tv ratings would go down - regardless of the quality of the product.

still, their decline year on year is like 20-25%, way more than industry average. Anyway, good TV will get ratings, if WWE was as compelling as it was in the attitude era i think it would get between 5-6 million people per episode still.

Most of their numbers come down to it being the worst it has been creatively possibly ever (i honestly can't think of a time where its been this bad, this truly is WCW circa late 1999 bad).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#662 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Spens1 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Dominater wrote:When 2.4 is good, you know that times are bad

Yet, WWE stock was selling at 12.48 5 years ago, and now it's at 71.51. There's so much more WWE stuff to watch now on various media, that it was inevitable that tv ratings would go down - regardless of the quality of the product.

still, their decline year on year is like 20-25%, way more than industry average. Anyway, good TV will get ratings, if WWE was as compelling as it was in the attitude era i think it would get between 5-6 million people per episode still.

Most of their numbers come down to it being the worst it has been creatively possibly ever (i honestly can't think of a time where its been this bad, this truly is WCW circa late 1999 bad).

I grew up in an era (pre Hulk Hogan) when there was one hour of tv per week, and the majority of matches were pure squash matches. I don't know if the WWE network gives access to those old tv shows - or if they're on youtube, but you might get a different perspective if you watch them. Also, it might be fun to see Kurt Hennig before he became a star - he was strictly a WWF jobber before he went to the AWA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#663 » by Spens1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:00 am

Ruzious wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yet, WWE stock was selling at 12.48 5 years ago, and now it's at 71.51. There's so much more WWE stuff to watch now on various media, that it was inevitable that tv ratings would go down - regardless of the quality of the product.

I grew up in an era (pre Hulk Hogan) when there was one hour of tv per week, and the majority of matches were pure squash matches. I don't know if the WWE network gives access to those old tv shows - or if they're on youtube, but you might get a different perspective if you watch them. Also, it might be fun to see Kurt Hennig before he became a star - he was strictly a WWF jobber before he went to the AWA.

The storytelling those days was good, it was simpler, but it was consistent and good. Sure their are things i don't like from that era (i think Hogan's megapush was a bit much (could have done more with Savage in between but that's mainly personal preference as well as give Piper a run).

With the roster wwe has today, it shouldn't be at a stage where no one is really truly a draw.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#664 » by Spens1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:02 am

Anyway ratings are out and its really bad

Hour 1 - 2.38 Mill
Hour 2 - 2.086 Mill
Hour 3 - 1.909 Mill
Average - 2.125 Million (lowest non holiday episode ever)

The hour 1 to 2 drop is huge. They clearly gave no one a reason to stay tuned in and hour 3 basically was dead.

Nevermind Fox, i think even NBC must be pissed about the ratings at this point. However they did run up against game 5 (which provided more sports entertainment than this did, 18 million watching as well as 8 million (from a country that has like 35 million people mind you) watching.

For reference, last year at the same time the show averaged 2.7 million (so a near 600 thousand drop year on year).
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,941

Post#665 » by iMoreland » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:41 am

End the wild card crap

Write a wrestling show and not a soap opera
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,750

Post#666 » by Stanford » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:15 pm

I don't see any similarities between a good soap opera and Raw. Soaps are popular and addictive, and they commit to stories.

I don't think it's as easy to "write a wrestling show" as you're letting on.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#667 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Stanford wrote:I don't see any similarities between a good soap opera and Raw. Soaps are popular and addictive, and they commit to stories.

I don't think it's as easy to "write a wrestling show" as you're letting on.

Soaps can have absurd storylines though. People coming back from the dead, returning as different characters, or the guy coming back with a different face and then the original character coming back leading to the who's the real...?

I'll refuse to answer why i know so much about this subject
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#668 » by Stanford » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:30 pm

I didn't say they were good
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#669 » by LLJ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:14 pm

The problem is the WWE doesn't even know what they want to be anymore, nor who they are trying to appeal to. They aren't pleasing the fans who want good characters, and they aren't putting out good matches either, so the smarks are leaving. Kids? Even kids won't be fooled by this crap.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#670 » by bestnamezRtaken » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:43 pm

It's not the creative team. It's not WWE as a whole. It's one person. Stop blaming the creative teams for what's going on. It's not fair to those who actually are trying but get turned down constantly.
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#671 » by iMoreland » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Not a terrible Raw last night. I hope they continue the aggressive side of Seth too, him hitting everyone with a chair reminded me of him turning on The Shield.

Also interested where the AJ/Good Brothers thing goes.

And that Firefly Fun House was the best one yet.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#672 » by iMoreland » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:18 am

Big E and Xavier Woods lose to Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn at Stomping Grounds, then the next night they're the "top challengers" for the tag titles

:banghead:
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#673 » by Flames24Rulz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm

iMoreland wrote:Big E and Xavier Woods lose to Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn at Stomping Grounds, then the next night they're the "top challengers" for the tag titles

I like how Samoa Joe goes from losing the US Title to being Kofi's top challenger at the next PPV too. There's no logic in any of this.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#674 » by Spens1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:00 am

This week did an average of 2.275 million, up 40k from last week and down 390k from this time last year.

Hr 1 - 2.386 Million
Hr 2 - 2.315 Million
Hr 3 - 2.186 Million

Pretty consistent throughout the first two and a bit of a drop in the third.

On another note, anyone see Rollins twitter tirade (first going off on how he was the best and then WWE was the best, then Ospreay, then Meltzer, Cageside Seats and suprisingly enough, Moxley for what reason i don't know). Maybe the negative attention wwe is getting is really getting under the lockerooms skin?
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#675 » by improper » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:49 am

Spens1 wrote:This week did an average of 2.275 million, up 40k from last week and down 390k from this time last year.

Hr 1 - 2.386 Million
Hr 2 - 2.315 Million
Hr 3 - 2.186 Million

Pretty consistent throughout the first two and a bit of a drop in the third.

On another note, anyone see Rollins twitter tirade (first going off on how he was the best and then WWE was the best, then Ospreay, then Meltzer, Cageside Seats and suprisingly enough, Moxley for what reason i don't know). Maybe the negative attention wwe is getting is really getting under the lockerooms skin?

Rollins isn't even top ten in his own company at this point.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#676 » by tugs » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:52 am

Flames24Rulz wrote:
iMoreland wrote:Big E and Xavier Woods lose to Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn at Stomping Grounds, then the next night they're the "top challengers" for the tag titles

I like how Samoa Joe goes from losing the US Title to being Kofi's top challenger at the next PPV too. There's no logic in any of this.
Although this reminded me of John Cena dropping his US Title to Orlando Jordan then eventually winning the WWE Title from JBL.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#677 » by bestnamezRtaken » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:59 am

The whole twitter thing is dumb as hell. The back and forth between whoever, is growing very tiresome. But all I saw, was Rollins defending the company he works for and people getting upset about it.
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#678 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:

Both of these are spot on, just some illogical storytelling at this point, it's actually insulting
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#679 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:41 pm

tugs wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:

Although this reminded me of John Cena dropping his US Title to Orlando Jordan then eventually winning the WWE Title from JBL.

But wasn't that do to interference? Samoa Joe lost clean, there's no rationale behind it
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#680 » by Stanford » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:55 pm

Bret lost to his little bro and then won the title in the same dang night

Return to Pro Wrestling