ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#381 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Jun 9, 2019 3:18 am

Just finished watching When They See Us on Netflix. Highly recommend it to anyone, EVERYONE. Brilliantly directed. Just a heartbreaking story that's still so poignant and relevant today. And the acting performances were tremendous with special shoutout to Jharrel Jerome who played Korey Wise. His performance in the final episode was nothing short of masterclass. It's one of the finest performances I've ever seen in anything in my life. It's only 4 episodes, but you don't watch it so much as bear witness to its truth. My mind is still blown right now.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#382 » by jmr07019 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:57 pm

I've never heard of Naval before this podcast but he has a lot of great insights.

Show Love Spread Love
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,487

Post#383 » by canman1971 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Great indie band that has been at it for over 30 years. Releasing a triple album soon. First one is mid 90s. Second one is from their new soon to be released.

sprash9802
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,314

Post#384 » by sprash9802 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:25 pm

To the Aussies on this board... congrats on beating our not-so-beloved neighbors in today's game! Please ensure you inflict the usual misery on the Brits when you meet them next!
'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'
-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,782

Post#385 » by SuperDeluxe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:43 am

Black Mirror, season 5: not good.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#386 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:42 pm

Chernobyl was really good.

Recently started streaming all the Robert Plant solo albums I’ve ignored for past 20 years. Shockingly, they are very good. Unlike the terrible synth laden 80s albums, he is playing what he wants and embraces his Led Zep past.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#387 » by Leprechaun18 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 pm

What happened to Truth18?
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#388 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Leprechaun18 wrote:What happened to Truth18?

He bounced after Cave got banned for coming down hard on some questionable comments made by ViperGTS. KyrieForThree left with him.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics

Post#389 » by canman1971 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:15 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Leprechaun18 wrote:What happened to Truth18?

He bounced after Cave got banned for coming down hard on some questionable comments made by ViperGTS. KyrieForThree left with him.

Well, personally, I hope both come back. All the mods unanimously went to the mat for Cave, and it was completely unprovoked. Not sure if Cave even knew it. People realized a mistake was made and wanted to fix it. So Cave and Truth, if you are reading this, come back. Our board is better with you.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#390 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:34 am

I watched Toy Story 4 today. Meh.

Now watching Chernobyl. So morbid.
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#391 » by Soulcatcher33 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:55 am

Finished rewatching Deadwood last week and then watched the movie. It was such a fantastic series that was cut down too early.
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#392 » by Soulcatcher33 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:59 am

Currently I'm finishing up Tad williams - Empire of Grass. (book 2 of of his sequel trilogy to Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Grass-Last-King-Osten/dp/0756410622/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=empire+of+grass&qid=1561878587&s=gateway&sr=8-1 ) As far as the visual medium goes, everyone I know keeps saying I need to watch Chernobyl so I'm going to binge watch that in the next couple of days before season 3 of Stranger Things comes out on the 4th of July. As far as gaming I'm playing Bloodstained right now. If you are a Metroidvania or Igavania fan you should definitely check it out.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#393 » by Pacino62 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:05 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I watched Toy Story 4 today. Meh.

Now watching Chernobyl. So morbid.

I watched When They See Us and Chernobyl B2B. Don’t know wtf I was thinking. Both made me angry and depressed for very different reasons. Both also extremely well done and should be shown in school systems.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#394 » by Pacino62 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 am

I haven’t posted on here in a while. Here’s a few recs....

*Parasite - foreign film. If subtitles aren’t your bag...then skip
*I Am Mother - Netflix original. If you liked Annihilation and Ex Machina, you’ll like this
*Suspira remake - I saw this in cinemas last year but just rewatched it a few nights ago and it’s excellent. If you haven’t seen it, check it out
*Climax - I mentioned on here before...but this is a must see and I didn’t hear one person come back and say they saw it. I just need one to see what they think. Lol. My second favorite movie of the year to Us. Also foreign
*Piercing - This is a difficult watch but a great little indie thriller
*Child’s Play - I couldn’t have liked a remake of one of my beloved childhood movies more than this. Loved that they took it in an original direction. Believe it or not, but it’s definitely worth the watch
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#395 » by Joel Embust » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:18 am

Going to re-watch Half Nelson after a decade. I listened to one of the songs that was used in a very intense scene (Broken Social Scene - Shampoo Suicide) that made me decide to watch again. That, and having my heart broken by a girl in the early stages of our relationship. (brain in withdrawal after heavy dopamine releases)

Panda Bear - Token is a pretty good song as well, btw.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#396 » by sam_I_am » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:37 am

Pacino62 wrote:I haven’t posted on here in a while. Here’s a few recs....

*I Am Mother - Netflix original. If you liked Annihilation and Ex Machina, you’ll like this
*Suspira remake - I saw this in cinemas last year but just rewatched it a few nights ago and it’s excellent. If you haven’t seen it, check it out
*Climax - I mentioned on here before...but this is a must see and I didn’t hear one person come back and say they saw it. I just need one to see what they think. Lol. My second favorite movie of the year to Us. Also foreign
*Child’s Play - I couldn’t have liked a remake of one of my beloved childhood movies more than this. Loved that they took it in an original direction. Believe it or not, but it’s definitely worth the watch

I liked I Am Mother too. Will check out Parasite....it reminded me of a cool foreign SciFy film I just saw - “Prospect” - much like Avatar in how cool alien planet is but much lower budget and edgier. Also, Always Your Maybe was a good romantic comedy on Netflix - really funny and good therapy after Chernobyl.
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#397 » by Pacino62 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:40 am

sam_I_am wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:I haven’t posted on here in a while. Here’s a few recs....

I liked I Am Mother too. Will check out Parasite....it reminded me of a cool foreign SciFy film I just saw - “Prospect” - much like Avatar in how cool alien planet is but much lower budget and edgier. Also, Always Your Maybe was a good romantic comedy on Netflix - really funny.

Love your taste. Prospect was awesome. A little slow but loved the take on the father/daughter relationship. Also....always down for Duplass. And yes on the latter...the worst kept cameo in the history of rom-com’s was brilliant. Haha. Probably the first romantic comedy I’ve enjoyed in quite some time. The leads were just so likable.

canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics

Post#398 » by canman1971 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:16 pm

If you like foreign WWII films, this was really good. But it's dark and pretty heavy. Based on a true story, which makes it even crazier.
GreenFor3
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#399 » by GreenFor3 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Soulcatcher33 wrote:Currently I'm finishing up Tad williams - Empire of Grass. (book 2 of of his sequel trilogy to Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Grass-Last-King-Osten/dp/0756410622/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=empire+of+grass&qid=1561878587&s=gateway&sr=8-1 ) As far as the visual medium goes, everyone I know keeps saying I need to watch Chernobyl so I'm going to binge watch that in the next couple of days before season 3 of Stranger Things comes out on the 4th of July. As far as gaming I'm playing Bloodstained right now. If you are a Metroidvania or Igavania fan you should definitely check it out.

How are you liking Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn? I've been considering reading it soon.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#400 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:49 pm

The new Night Moves record is a killer....

RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14

Return to Boston Celtics