If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#21 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Rich is doing the dirty work AD can't do or shouldn't do. Clearly this is all at AD's direction.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,499

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#22 » by GregOden » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Come on guys, do you think that Anthony Davis is dumb?

Rich Paul works for A. Davis.

A. Davis wants to play for the Lakers (or Knicks) and Rich Paul is trying to achieve that. As soon as possible.

Probably. He doesn't come off as supremely intelligent. Most of these guys come off as being somewhere between average and well below average when it comes to intelligence. I'd wager that Anthony Davis is dumber than about 90% of the people I work with, for whatever that means. So yea, I'd wager he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Being socially awkward doesnt mean you lack intelligence, NBA players are a narrowly selected population who are engaged in an organized competition at the highest level. Theres a few nutcases in the NBA but nobody is going to play at AD's level with a below average intelligence.

Unless you are working as an engineer or at a law firm I doubt hes dumber than 90% of your coworkers.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#23 » by Jody Smokz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 pm

How are either of them idiots? Please expound on this

clyde21 wrote:can we stop removing agency and responsiblity from players? they're grown men, who have their own advisers and family members and staff, etc...if Davis wanted to stay in NOP he'd stay

you can argue Davis is a idiot, but it has nothing to do with Rich, who's also an idiot.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#24 » by Roy The Natural » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:06 pm

GregOden wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Come on guys, do you think that Anthony Davis is dumb?

Rich Paul works for A. Davis.

A. Davis wants to play for the Lakers (or Knicks) and Rich Paul is trying to achieve that. As soon as possible.

Probably. He doesn't come off as supremely intelligent. Most of these guys come off as being somewhere between average and well below average when it comes to intelligence. I'd wager that Anthony Davis is dumber than about 90% of the people I work with, for whatever that means. So yea, I'd wager he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Being socially awkward doesnt mean you lack intelligence, NBA players are a narrowly selected population who are engaged in an organized competition at the highest level. Theres a few nutcases in the NBA but nobody is going to play at [b]AD's level with a below average intelligence[/b].

Social awkwardness has nothing to do with why I believe that athletes as a whole tend to be of questionable intelligence. And I don't believe that statement holds any water.

Your average engineer or physicist is FAR more intelligent than an NBA player, and FAR more socially awkward. I don't know where you thought that was the connection I was trying to make. But I knew there would be someone who came out here and some how tried to draw a correlation between the ability to play a sport and intelligence. I just don't see that connection,

Lawyers/Law firms aren't overly intelligent either. Most of their job revolves around administrative work, and memorization. Hardly barometers of intelligence.

I'm a mechanical Engineer in the semiconducter industry. So yes, outside of maaaayyyybbbeee HR, AD is probably dumber than every last person at my job. Honestly the HR department isn't that bad either. I wouldn't be surprised if every person where
I work is more intelligent than him. But in general, I'd rate athletes as one of the lower rung jobs as far as intelligence goes.

Almost every cognitive skill an athlete needs to be good revolves around memorization. Which I don't believe is a good barometer of intelligence.
ADMVP
Rookie
And1: 817

Post#25 » by ADMVP » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Everyone in New Orleans knows how stupid he is.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,499

Post#26 » by GregOden » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
GregOden wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

Being socially awkward doesnt mean you lack intelligence, NBA players are a narrowly selected population who are engaged in an organized competition at the highest level. Theres a few nutcases in the NBA but nobody is going to play at [b]AD's level with a below average intelligence[/b].

Social awkwardness has nothing to do with why I believe that athletes as a whole tend to be of questionable intelligence. And I don't believe that statement holds any water.

Your average engineer or physicist is FAR more intelligent than an NBA player, and FAR more socially awkward. I don't know where you thought that was the connection I was trying to make. But I knew there would be someone who came out here and some how tried to draw a correlation between the ability to play a sport and intelligence. I just don't see that connection,

Lawyers/Law firms aren't overly intelligent either. Most of their job revolves around administrative work, and memorization. Hardly barometers of intelligence.

I'm a mechanical Engineer in the semiconducter industry. So yes, outside of maaaayyyybbbeee HR, AD is probably dumber than every last person at my job. Honestly the HR department isn't that bad either. I wouldn't be surprised if every person where
I work is more intelligent than him. But in general, I'd rate athletes as one of the lower rung jobs as far as intelligence goes.

Almost every cognitive skill an athlete needs to be good revolves around memorization. Which I don't believe is a good barometer of intelligence.

Engineers typically have an average IQ around 125 which is 1/17 or the about top 5% of society. Basketball players can be of above average intelligence while being dumber than the top 5%.

You are exhibiting a self selection bias here and conflating that with average intelligence over society as a whole, which is an IQ level of around 100. Also regarding your position regarding lawyers or other professions which select heavily for memory--it takes a type of intelligence to encode large amounts of disparate information, you are engaging in self selection fallacy again because you are an engineer so you define intelligence based on things that are pertinent to your environment and world view which is biased toward pattern recognition/abstract analysis ability.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#27 » by Roy The Natural » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 pm

GregOden wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
GregOden wrote:

Engineers typically have an average IQ around 125 which is 1/17 or the about top 5% of society. Basketball players can be of above average intelligence while being dumber than the top 5%.

You are exhibiting a self selection bias here and conflating that with average intelligence over society as a whole, which is an IQ level of around 100. Also regarding your position regarding lawyers or other professions which select heavily for memory--it takes a type of intelligence to encode large amounts of disparate information, you are engaging in self selection fallacy again because you are an engineer so you define intelligence based on things that are pertinent to your environment and world view which is biased toward pattern recognition/abstract analysis ability.

And problem solving. No one practices problem solving like engineers and scientists. Using memorization of information, abstract analysis and many other cognitive functions to come up with solutions. Despite what many think, much of problem solving in engineering doesn't revolve around pure math.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#28 » by HMFFL » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:33 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:Now it feels like Rich Paul is owning AD...
I feel bad for AD, maybe not
You don't seem to understand what an agents job is. AD has been open about what he wants.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 2,789

Post#29 » by OriginalRed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Manipulation? AD wanted this himself lol, he just didn't want to end up looking like the bad guy and let Richie Rich speak for him to deflect attention from himself.

Unfortunately for him, it blew up right in his face when the trade didn't go through.
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#30 » by Drygon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#31 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 pm

I feel like the way some of you try to defend these players, you are actually being extremely disrespectful to them because it seems like many view these guys as these push overs that will do whatever they're told. With threads like this or the KD being bullied into playing narrative.

We are talking about grown adults here. Anthony Davis is 26 years old, he is a man, he can make his own decisions. This idea that AD is being manipulated by Rich Paul is beyond disrespectful to AD.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely have questions about the whole Klutch thing and Rich Paul's obvious ties to LeBron. But man, do people on here think AD was just this innocent bystander and Rich Paul tricked AD with signing with him and now brain washed him to only want to play for LA and NY? I honestly feel like there is a big group on here that believes that.

Here is what most likely happened. AD wasn't happy with his agent, so he fired him. He wanted more exposure and wanted to get to a team that is a big market and that has a chance to land stars or already has them. He knows if he signs with Rich Paul, Rich Paul because of his connections with LeBron has plenty of connections with Hollywood and all of those other avenues. He probably talked to Rich Paul and Rich Paul probably said, "if you make me you're agent, I will make sure within the year you will be in one of the two major markets and your brand reach will grow massively. Also in LA you can pair up with LeBron or in NY with you there, another star will follow".

If you don't think this is what AD wanted all along, I think you need to be reminded that AD is a grown adult, he knows what he wants.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#32 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:How are either of them idiots? Please expound on this

clyde21 wrote:can we stop removing agency and responsiblity from players? they're grown men, who have their own advisers and family members and staff, etc...if Davis wanted to stay in NOP he'd stay

you can argue Davis is a idiot, but it has nothing to do with Rich, who's also an idiot.

I don't know think we have the knowledge to say if they're idiots or not (since we see very little of these guys). But I think you can definitely say both guys have handled this situations like idiots.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#33 » by Roddy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:12 pm

We are talking about this guy....what did you expect ?

durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#34 » by durka » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Agreed. People blaming Paul for ADs decision, Uncle Dennis for Kawhi's, etc. are basically saying these guys are incapable of making their own choices. Anybody who thinks these guys wouldn't find new reps if the ones they have currently weren't representing what they want to happen are delusional.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,635

Post#35 » by Johnny Fontane » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 pm

League shouldn't allow agents like Paul to exist
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,348

Post#36 » by Forbes » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Manipulated? Nah. The agents job is make whatever the player wants to happen, happen. Let everyone hate Rich Paul who doesn’t care what anyone thinks.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#37 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:21 pm

I think Anthony is too stupid to realize that Rich Paul is doing whatever he can to make LeBron happy and extend LeBron's title window. I don't think he gives a damn about Anthony TBH.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#38 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:22 pm

durka wrote:

Agreed. People blaming Paul for ADs decision, Uncle Dennis for Kawhi's, etc. are basically saying these guys are incapable of making their own choices. Anybody who thinks these guys wouldn't find new reps if the ones they have currently weren't representing what they want to happen are delusional.

agreed, but this is funny coming from you, when you're blaming the Warriors for playing KD when that was 100% his own decision
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,931

Post#39 » by zimpy27 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:

agreed, but this is funny coming from you, when you're blaming the Warriors for playing KD when that was 100% his own decision

"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#40 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:31 pm

There are some different factors here, but ultimately if Rich Paul tries too hard to push anything on any of his clients he only hurts his reputation and himself (especially with such a high profile client.) Having AD come to the Lakers could be a 'kill 2 birds with 1 stone' scenario for Rich Paul since it could create winning situations for 2 of his clients, but only if AD actually wants it.

Return to The General Board