If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#61 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:40 pm

durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:
You realise you're completely derailing this thread over a totally unrelated subject after I made a post agreeing with you, right?

im not derailing anything, I'm exposing your hypocrisy and viewpoint that seems to change from thread to thread depending on the player or team.

If I'm a hypocrite for on one hand believing KD was given bad medical advice, and whether or not was wrongly influenced into playing a game he was physically not ready to play in, while on the other hand belive AD is a big boy who pays an agent to do what he tells him I guess that makes me a hypocrit.

You are derailing because this subject wasn't about KD.

The 2 topics are about 2 completely different dynamics (player-team vs player-agent). You made a total fool of yourself in the last thread and you just doubled down on it.

so rich :lol:

all i wanted to expose your hypocrisy on this, mission accomplished.
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#62 » by durka » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
im not derailing anything, I'm exposing your hypocrisy and viewpoint that seems to change from thread to thread depending on the player or team.

If I'm a hypocrite for on one hand believing KD was given bad medical advice, and whether or not was wrongly influenced into playing a game he was physically not ready to play in, while on the other hand belive AD is a big boy who pays an agent to do what he tells him I guess that makes me a hypocrit.

The 2 topics are about 2 completely different dynamics (player-team vs player-agent). You made a total fool of yourself in the last thread and you just doubled down on it.

Not sure how many more times I can say a relationship between player and agent is different than a relationship between a team and a player. Different variables, different circumstances

You think you're proving some huge point when there is no correlation between the 2 subjects. What you're basically saying is "You're a hypocrite because you disagree with me on one subject and agree with me on the other".
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#63 » by Roy The Natural » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:14 pm

durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:

Not sure how many more times I can say a relationship between player and agent is different than a relationship between a team and a player. Different variables, different circumstances

You think you're proving some huge point when there is no correlation between the 2 subjects. What you're basically saying is "You're a hypocrite because you disagree with me on one subject and agree with me on the other".

Your just digging yourself deeper. You explicitly stated that people treat players like children incapable of making their own decisions. They blame the agents because they think the players aren't culpable for their own actions.... then in the same breath you treat Durant like a child and and refuse to hold him culpable for his own decisions. You blame everyone else, because clearly it's not possible that Durant could have made a decision that carried inherent risk and decided as an adult that he was okay with that risk.

Stop trying to justify the unjustifiable. You got called on your hypocrisy, own it.
durka
Starter

Post#64 » by durka » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Your just digging yourself deeper. You explicitly stated that people treat players like children incapable of making their own decisions. They blame the agents because they think the players aren't culpable for their own actions.... then in the same breath you treat Durant like a child and and refuse to hold him culpable for his own decisions. You blame everyone else, because clearly it's not possible that Durant could have made a decision that carried inherent risk and decided as an adult that he was okay with that risk.

Stop trying to justify the unjustifiable. You got called on your hypocrisy, own it.

There's nothing to own. I believe KD made a decision to play based off of bad medical advice. There's literally no correlation to whether or not the good boy AD is being manipulated by big bad Bron instead of paying an agent to get him to where he wants to be. People are saying AD is employing an agent who isn't working in the best interest of his career. I don't believe Golden State acted maliciously, I believe they acted incompetently. If you read back to the thread clyde derailed this thread to bring up you'll find me saying "at best golden state acted incompletely, at worst maliciously" or something along those lines.

What clyde21 is trying to do by derailing this thread about AD is take away the blame from golden state in the KD situation. The fact of the matter is that any player wants to play in the finals and will do anything they can to do it. It's the job of the trained medical staff to know if they are risking reinjury and stopping them from playing. The medical staff, and by extension the team, either was incompetent and didn't know the risk or knew the risk and let him play through it. That's been my stance all along. How exactly is that the same as not thinking Anthony Davis being manipulated into making a trade request?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#65 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:39 pm

durka wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
durka wrote:Not sure how many more times I can say a relationship between player and agent is different than a relationship between a team and a player. Different variables, different circumstances

There's nothing to own. I believe KD made a decision to play based off of bad medical advice. There's literally no correlation to whether or not the good boy AD is being manipulated by big bad Bron instead of paying an agent to get him to where he wants to be. People are saying AD is employing an agent who isn't working in the best interest of his career. I don't believe Golden State acted maliciously, I believe they acted incompetently. If you read back to the thread clyde derailed this thread to bring up you'll find me saying "at best golden state acted incompletely, at worst maliciously" or something along those lines.

What clyde21 is trying to do by derailing this thread about AD is take away the blame from golden state in the KD situation. The fact of the matter is that any player wants to play in the finals and will do anything they can to do it. It's the job of the trained medical staff to know if they are risking reinjury and stopping them from playing. The medical staff, and by extension the team, either was incompetent and didn't know the risk or knew the risk and let him play through it. That's been my stance all along. How exactly is that the same as not thinking Anthony Davis being manipulated into making a trade request?

just so we can keep score here:

1- Davis is his own man and isn't being manipulated to coerce a trade out of NOP

2- Durant is not his own man, and was manipulated by the Warriors into playing when he wasn't ready

lol, **** outta here.
durka
Starter

Post#66 » by durka » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

1- Davis is his own man and isn't being manipulated to coerce a trade out of NOP

2- Durant is not his own man, and was manipulated by the Warriors into playing when he wasn't ready

lol, **** outta here.

1 desicion based off personal preference, the other based off medical science.

Remember way back in game three when Klay Thompson was pleading to play and they didn't let him? That's exactly what should have been done to KD. That's a comparable situation, not whether or not a paid employee is making career decisions for Anthony Davis.

I guess it's tough for a 16 year old warrior fan to accept that their team is wrong. They haven't really faced any adversity in, what, 5 years now. Your must barely remember them losing that series when you were 11 years old. That's the only reason I can sum up to explain your complete lack of critical thinking or objectivity.
paganin-74
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#67 » by paganin-74 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 pm

Saberestar wrote:Come on guys, do you think that Anthony Davis is dumb?

Well, AD may be tall with facial hair to spare but development-wise he is still a little boy... And he wants to play with his Daddy! :lol:
The more I learn about people, the more I like my Warriors. :D
clyde21
RealGM

Post#68 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 pm

durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:There's nothing to own. I believe KD made a decision to play based off of bad medical advice. There's literally no correlation to whether or not the good boy AD is being manipulated by big bad Bron instead of paying an agent to get him to where he wants to be. People are saying AD is employing an agent who isn't working in the best interest of his career. I don't believe Golden State acted maliciously, I believe they acted incompetently. If you read back to the thread clyde derailed this thread to bring up you'll find me saying "at best golden state acted incompletely, at worst maliciously" or something along those lines.

lol, **** outta here.

1 desicion based off personal preference, the other based off medical science.

Remember way back in game three when Klay Thompson was pleading to play and they didn't let him? That's exactly what should have been done to KD. That's a comparable situation, not whether or not a paid employee is making career decisions for Anthony Davis.

I guess it's tough for a 16 year old warrior fan to accept that their team is wrong. They haven't really faced any adversity in, what, 5 years now. Your must barely remember them losing that series when you were 11 years old. That's the only reason I can sum up to explain your complete lack of critical thinking or objectivity.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you're pathetic broski
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,098

Post#69 » by Hugi Mancura » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:07 pm

AD is calling the shots. Personally I wouldn't ask mine agent to do public stunts like this, but I'm not AD.

Can players be manipulated by their agents? Off course. Players believe agents know what they are doing and they should because in the end agents should be professionals in their own field. So players believe agents know better what is the correct route to get what the player wants. So when agent suggests certain tasks, like public blackmailing, then players are more willing to accept it. But agents never do anything that players doesn't approve, so in the end everything that happens is approved by the player, so blame to everything wrong falls to them.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#70 » by Wilber85 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:
Michael Jordan wrote:You're just assuming Rich is calling the shots though, is it absurd to think that Anthony Davis prefers to live in New York or Los Angeles ?

It feels that way, isnā€™t it?
You might be right though

Itā€™s not about living there lol itā€™s about the publicity, and extra money they can be making with unlimited opportunity . Media , etc

There are many places players would rather live .
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#71 » by JKiddy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 pm

So I guess this increases Brooklyn's chances now.

This is going to be very interesting.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,960

Post#72 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:51 pm

Michael Jordan wrote:You're just assuming Rich is calling the shots though, is it absurd to think that Anthony Davis prefers to live in New York or Los Angeles ?

One of the Pelicans beat writers was on Portland radio today, one of the sports stations does quick hits around the sports world to people close to big stories of the day. They asked him about a question like this and basically the writer said AD is a nice kid, but is easily lead. So yeah, its probably Rich calling the shots - or at least being highly persuasive - and for one reason or another AD lets it happen.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#73 » by BigLurch92 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:08 am

AD: "I just want to win"

AD: "I only want to go the Knicks and Lakers.

Either this guy is an idiot or incredibly dishonest.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,080

Post#74 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:14 am

It's paternalistic to assume that AD is being manipulated by Klutch. He's a grown man and wants to play with another star. He made the decision to hire Klutch and probably did so with an eye towards getting out of N.O. at some point.

That said, part of an agent's job is to counsel their clients and I do wonder how conflict-free Klutch's advice to AD is.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isnā€™t winning you anything. Garland wonā€™t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Coachcavplaya23
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#75 » by Coachcavplaya23 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:32 am

Saberestar wrote:Come on guys, do you think that Anthony Davis is dumb?

Rich Paul works for A. Davis.

A. Davis wants to play for the Lakers (or Knicks) and Rich Paul is trying to achieve that. As soon as possible.

Yes he is that dumb. He hired Rich Paul as his agent who has done a piss poor job. Also, he wants to go the Lakers where the franchise is one dysfunctional piece of burning garbage. So yes Davis doesnt seem insanely bright.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#76 » by LKN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:48 am

Roddy wrote:We are talking about this guy....what did you expect ?

AD has always been a high character guy... it is disappointing (although not a huge deal) that he's doing stuff like that since he began to hang around with Paul.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,444

Post#77 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:09 am

durka wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
durka wrote:
You realise you're completely derailing this thread over a totally unrelated subject after I made a post agreeing with you, right?

Clyde is 100% correct that you're hypocritical and this is the EXACT same issue.

It's not the exact same. 1 situation is people accusing grown men of being manipulated into making desicisons based off of pressure from people THEY EMPLOY.

The other situation is based off a grown man making a decision to come back from an injury based off of medical information from people WHO THEY ARE EMPLOYED BY.

2 completely different situations with different factors and variables involved.

Please tell me how me saying Rich Paul isnt doing anything AD signs off on is the same as saying KD made a decision to play based off of bad medical advice? They're completely different subjects, the only similarities are people making choices.

KD has a team of his own medical experts as does every other top tier nba player. He made the decision based on what HIS TEAM said along with a second opinion from the team's medical specialists. Plus both sides 100% had 3rd party opinions they paid for. So no not different AT ALL.

Do you REALLY seriously not realize every player at this level has a freaking medical staff at their disposal for these issues? I mean for real? You think he didn't take the word of HIS team? This is a man who's made over a quarter BILLION dollars in his career. He has unlimited resources...and you seriously think he took the word of the team doctors alone?

I can't even imagine what kind of crazy world you're in...
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,023

Post#78 » by mg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:15 am

Rich Paul's first priority will always be Lebron.
durka
Starter

Post#79 » by durka » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:23 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
durka wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Clyde is 100% correct that you're hypocritical and this is the EXACT same issue.

It's not the exact same. 1 situation is people accusing grown men of being manipulated into making desicisons based off of pressure from people THEY EMPLOY.

The other situation is based off a grown man making a decision to come back from an injury based off of medical information from people WHO THEY ARE EMPLOYED BY.

2 completely different situations with different factors and variables involved.

Please tell me how me saying Rich Paul isnt doing anything AD signs off on is the same as saying KD made a decision to play based off of bad medical advice? They're completely different subjects, the only similarities are people making choices.

KD has a team of his own medical experts as does every other top tier nba player. He made the decision based on what HIS TEAM said along with a second opinion from the team's medical specialists. Plus both sides 100% had 3rd party opinions they paid for. So no not different AT ALL.

Do you REALLY seriously not realize every player at this level has a freaking medical staff at their disposal for these issues? I mean for real? You think he didn't take the word of HIS team? This is a man who's made over a quarter BILLION dollars in his career. He has unlimited resources...and you seriously think he took the word of the team doctors alone?

Are you trying to argue that his team gave him good medical advice? Obviously the doctors he saw and the people representing KD didn't give him good advice either. Hell the Warriors organization came out and said "we **** up". Theyve already set the precedence earlier in the series of sitting a player who was of risk of injury. Not sure why it's crazy to believe that he got influenced to come back too early when he hurt himself 12 minutes in. Numerous former players have come out and said the same damn thing I'm saying right now.

And none of that has anything to do with saying agents act on the orders and interests of their clients who pay them.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,444

Post#80 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:02 am

durka wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
durka wrote:It's not the exact same. 1 situation is people accusing grown men of being manipulated into making desicisons based off of pressure from people THEY EMPLOY.

Are you trying to argue that his team gave him good medical advice? Obviously the doctors he saw and the people representing KD didn't give him good advice either. Hell the Warriors organization came out and said "we **** up". Theyve already set the precedence earlier in the series of sitting a player who was of risk of injury. Not sure why it's crazy to believe that he got influenced to come back too early when he hurt himself 12 minutes in. Numerous former players have come out and said the same damn thing I'm saying right now.

And none of that has anything to do with saying agents act on the orders and interests of their clients who pay them.

So he's adult enough to make sure his agent does right by him but he can't make sure his medical team does right by him because he's not an adult? Which is it? And again it isn't like he would just take ONE paid opinion...again KD has truly as close as there is to unlimited money. He's either an idiot who can't understand what his agent is doing and is being manipulated by everyone around him or he knows how to take advice by people who are experts.

Return to The General Board