ImageImageImageImage

NBA Draft 2019 Who Should Orlando Draft with the 16th and 46th pick?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: NBA Draft 2019 Who Should Orlando Draft with the 16th and 46th pick? 

Post#781 » by Skin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 am

SOUL wrote:I am honestly okay with whoever the front office chooses at 16. I'd prefer a guard, but if a high potential player of any position slips, I'm all for choosing them too. Whatever it is that we "need" (aka shooting/shot creation) isn't going to be fixed through this draft this year.

What if they took Bol Bol? :lol:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#782 » by Skin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 am

SOUL wrote:I am honestly okay with whoever the front office chooses at 16. I'd prefer a guard, but if a high potential player of any position slips, I'm all for choosing them too. Whatever it is that we "need" (aka shooting/shot creation) isn't going to be fixed through this draft this year.

Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,609

Post#783 » by SOUL » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 am

Skin wrote:

If Vuc is gone, I wouldn't hate it. If we resigned him, I would find it a very strange decision. :lol:
Bonafide89
Junior
And1: 160

Post#784 » by Bonafide89 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:25 am

JBSouthpaw wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I said it earlier this week, but I am really rising on Herro. His shotmaking is exactly what this team needs. He is slowly moving up to my 1b prospect in this draft. Reminds me a lot of Devin Booker. Such a natural feel for the game offensively. Something this roster lacks.

Yeah I’m going NAW then Herro right now. Don’t want anything to do with Langford. Sure he can’t get to the basket but that shooting motion is UGLY

That's how I have it too.
NAW
Herro
I do think Herro may go before we pick though.
Herro has some dog in him. Listening to his interviews you can tell he's all business. He sounds like he's got a chip on his shoulder.

NAW represents the type of player who seems like Weltham would love. Character wise, he'd seem like an easy fit in the locker room.

I'd be fine with both, and also Keldon Johnson.

KPJ and Langford, for all the talent they have, the concern is how smoothly they would fit into our system. I'm fine with either one of them too, but KPJ may not have the character our front office is looking for if he doesn't come across as impressive in the interviews.

And Langford, I'm concerned about the shot. KPJ nor Langford has ideal shooting mechanics, and if we go SG, we need a SG who can actually shoot. It's a desperate need for us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#785 » by SOUL » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:45 am

Message Boar wrote:^I could see it, especially if concerns about Porter's character aren't alleviated during team interviews. And I definitely don't see us taking him. Kid has talent, though. I hope he has a good career.

Read on Twitter

Seems like a good kid.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#786 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:59 am

SOUL wrote:
Message Boar wrote:^I could see it, especially if concerns about Porter's character aren't alleviated during team interviews. And I definitely don't see us taking him. Kid has talent, though. I hope he has a good career.

Read on Twitter

Seems like a good kid.

well....4 is available in blue and white! lol
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#787 » by shadrock » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:26 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Herro made 80 of 100 threes working out for Boston the other day...

Proof? I feel like if that was true, we wouldnt have heard about it.
Skin
RealGM

Post#788 » by Skin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:29 am

SOUL wrote:

Read on Twitter

Seems like a good kid.

Saw that too. I like Porter's athleticism. He's smooth. I'm a fan but you gotta be patient with him. I don't think he'll light the league on fire early on.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#789 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Essentially, you would prefer to go after a vet or a player who's semi early into their career who can create their shot to help bolster the Magic's offensive arsenal as the foundations continue to be built.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#790 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm

I failed to ask you this from my previous post. Who do you have in mind as for whom the Magic should take a look into as far as scoring vets/shooters concerns in free agency or trades?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,109

Post#791 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm

SD2042 wrote:

Essentially, you would prefer to go after a vet or a player who's semi early into their career who can create their shot to help bolster the Magic's offensive arsenal as the foundations continue to be built.

where do you get this? he said he would prefer a guard, but if a high potential player happens to hit at PF, C, SF, he would be okay with that. And that everything wont be fixed in this 1 draft.

no where does it say, get a vet or young player from another team.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#792 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:43 pm

tiderulz wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

where do you get this? he said he would prefer a guard, but if a high potential player happens to hit at PF, C, SF, he would be okay with that. And that everything wont be fixed in this 1 draft.

no where does it say, get a vet or young player from another team.

It could've been a misread on my part.

I was inquiring about the bolded aspect that since the "need" of shooting/shot creation isn't going to solve through the draft, I was asking from the aspect what potential free agent vet or young player likely in the early part of his career would best serve good interest to him.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#793 » by MagicMatic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:44 pm

I think it comes down to these prospects if no trades are made for Orlando at #16.

1) NAW- Secondary ball handler, versatile off ball scoring wing, playmaker. Struggles shooting off the dribble and has questionable athleticism.

2) Herro - Great shooter, versatile scorer, great off ball. He lacks explosiveness and is questionable defensively. Could be limited by his length.

3) Langford- Iso scorer, creates space and gets to the rim. High defensive upside because of frame and length. Needs to fix his broken shot.

4) Porter Jr - Boom or bust prospect. Shows the capability of being great, but there are a ton of questions. Needs a shooting coach.

I don’t see Porter Jr as a WeHam guy sooner than the others. Herro provides reliability from beyond that we’ve been missing outside of Ross. Langford and NAW both provide the lacking playmaking for the Magic, but they do it in different aspects. NAW is more of an off ball playmaker that can facilitate, while Langford is a playmaker that operates in isolation.

Trade down or “reach” scenarios:

KZ Okpala
Taken Horton Tucker
Cam Johnson
Keldon Johnson
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#794 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 pm

I’m starting to hone in on Tyler Herro. Despite being a shooter and not an explosive athlete he still attacks the rim. I’m not worried about defense. We need shooters. The only reason this draft pisses me off is if they reach for another long armed unskilled player.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#795 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:43 pm

MagicMatic wrote:I think it comes down to these prospects if no trades are made for Orlando at #16.

1) NAW- Secondary ball handler, versatile off ball scoring wing, playmaker. Struggles shooting off the dribble and has questionable athleticism.

2) Herro - Great shooter, versatile scorer, great off ball. He lacks explosiveness and is questionable defensively. Could be limited by his length.

3) Langford- Iso scorer, creates space and gets to the rim. High defensive upside because of frame and length. Needs to fix his broken shot.

4) Porter Jr - Boom or bust prospect. Shows the capability of being great, but there are a ton of questions. Needs a shooting coach.

I don’t see Porter Jr as a WeHam guy sooner than the others. Herro provides reliability from beyond that we’ve been missing outside of Ross. Langford and NAW both provide the lacking playmaking for the Magic, but they do it in different aspects. NAW is more of an off ball playmaker that can facilitate, while Langford is a playmaker that operates in isolation.

KZ Okpala
Taken Horton Tucker
Cam Johnson
Keldon Johnson

Agree with the majority of this but could someone please enlighten me on how Okpala would at all be a good fit for us? I've seen his name thrown around here the last couple weeks and I just cannot wrap my mind around it. Outside of better physical measurments, he literally reminds me in almost every way of a slightly (if at all) more talented version of Wes Iwundu minus the playmaking abilities.

I'm pretty convinced that this kid is going to struggle mightily to stretch the floor at the next level. I know his 3pt percentage on a low number of attempts/makes was okay, but that doesn't mean much to me (even Wes made the same amount of 3's his senior year as Okpala on a better percentage). Im pretty sure he's really struggled shooting the ball in workouts as well.

If you watch his highlights yes he is a great athlete and above average finisher but he is a one trick pony for the most part. A straight line driver. Nothing really at all outside of his athleticism impresses me.

If we drafted a forward like him over someone that will be able to actually provide offense and stretch the floor, I would be mightily disappointed.

You of all people I would have thought would be opposed to drafting another player like that :lol:
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#796 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:I’m starting to hone in on Tyler Herro. Despite being a shooter and not an explosive athlete he still attacks the rim. I’m not worried about defense. We need shooters. The only reason this draft pisses me off is if they reach for another long armed unskilled player.

The one thing that i heard that made me feel better was about how much his defense improved over the season. If that continues and he is a neutral or positive on that end.... he looks even that much better!
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#797 » by Patrick1978 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#798 » by MagicMatic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:42 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:I think it comes down to these prospects if no trades are made for Orlando at #16.

KZ Okpala
Taken Horton Tucker
Cam Johnson
Keldon Johnson

Agree with the majority of this but could someone please enlighten me on how Okpala would at all be a good fit for us? I've seen his name thrown around here the last couple weeks and I just cannot wrap my mind around it. Outside of better physical measurments, he literally reminds me in almost every way of a slightly (if at all) more talented version of Wes Iwundu minus the playmaking abilities.

I'm pretty convinced that this kid is going to struggle mightily to stretch the floor at the next level. I know his 3pt percentage on a low number of attempts/makes was okay, but that doesn't mean much to me (even Wes made the same amount of 3's his senior year as Okpala on a better percentage). Im pretty sure he's really struggled shooting the ball in workouts as well.

If you watch his highlights yes he is a great athlete and above average finisher but he is a one trick pony for the most part. A straight line driver. Nothing really at all outside of his athleticism impresses me.

If we drafted a forward like him over someone that will be able to actually provide offense and stretch the floor, I would be mightily disappointed.

You of all people I would have thought would be opposed to drafting another player like that :lol:

I don’t think he’s a great fit, but I could easily see WeHam trading back or reaching for him because he fits their general draft strategy all things considered. IF they believe he can play SG/SF at the next level I think they could take a swing. Would I want to spend #16 on him? Probably not.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#799 » by SOUL » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:36 pm

It sucks that we need guards because I like the SF/PF/C options at our spot more than the guards.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#800 » by MagicMatic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 pm

SOUL wrote:It sucks that we need guards because I like the SF/PF/C options at our spot more than the guards.

Fernando, Grant Williams, Bitadze , Clarke, and Kabebgele are all very interesting prospects that I could see as “steals” down the line. If there were more opportunity for them, I would be all for it. If we made a draft day trade and knew Vuc wasn’t coming back I wouldn’t be upset at a majority of these guys.

Return to Orlando Magic